Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

Yeah I remember that being talked up as a revolutionary step forward from greenscreens.

It absolutely is but there's pretty obvious shortcomings like every scene needing to be on a flat surface since changes in elevation make the Volume harder to set up. It's a tool like anything else, but like anything CGI, it's all too easy to abuse and be lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Again, the execs miss the point, the backlash isn't over the vfx, it's over bad filmmaking.

Oh and didn't that all the same "practical effects!1!!!" buzzwords get trotted out for Kingo's magnum opus - The Eternals?

That DICK! posted:

so me and the missus gave star trek picard seasons 1 and 2 another try after paramount "remastered" them for the blu ray and added a bunch of scenes and supposedly fixed most of the major problems through editing. i was a big skeptic as someone who hated them when they aired but wow, they really put in a ton of effort here, it actually freaking works, as a show now. they didn't do much to edit the first few episodes but its best to start from there. highly recommend another try

I'm sorry, I can only watch Star Trek media if they arrive in weird lozenges.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

khwarezm posted:

Yeah I remember that being talked up as a revolutionary step forward from greenscreens.

it was but then it turned out they can be extremely lazy with it too

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I think Volume is used for the backround of Enterprise's engineering in Strange New Worlds and it looks pretty believable. Like, when you know what you're doing it looks great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ohhhh, I thought 80 stands for refresh rate or something.
Nah, release year. 4K77 and 4K83 are great, but I'd been waiting a while for 4K80.

IT TOOK SIX YEARS TO MAKE!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rear screen projection will always be the king.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

These 4k star warses are plundered by privateers, I assume?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Failson posted:

Again, the execs miss the point, the backlash isn't over the vfx, it's over bad filmmaking.

Oh and didn't that all the same "practical effects!1!!!" buzzwords get trotted out for Kingo's magnum opus - The Eternals?

I'm sorry, I can only watch Star Trek media if they arrive in weird lozenges.

Those cases make me physically ill

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hell bond could do worse than the boy from kick rear end I guess

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should just stop doing Bond movies for a while.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
They should just stop doing Bond movies forever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It absolutely is but there's pretty obvious shortcomings like every scene needing to be on a flat surface since changes in elevation make the Volume harder to set up. It's a tool like anything else, but like anything CGI, it's all too easy to abuse and be lazy.

Even before they were using The Volume it started becoming super noticsble that lazy greenscreen action scenes were video game flat arenas surrounded by noninteractive background elements

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I miss when the future of Star Wars seemed bright. That was fun.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I also miss the 80s at times

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Little did we realize at time that Star Wars would peak with Caravan of Courage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vakal posted:

Little did we realize at time that Star Wars would peak with Caravan of Courage.

Battle For Endor is better. They fight a space witch with the help of Wilford Brimley.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

That DICK! posted:

so me and the missus gave star trek picard seasons 1 and 2 another try after paramount "remastered" them for the blu ray and added a bunch of scenes and supposedly fixed most of the major problems through editing. i was a big skeptic as someone who hated them when they aired but wow, they really put in a ton of effort here, it actually freaking works, as a show now. they didn't do much to edit the first few episodes but its best to start from there. highly recommend another try

Lol you almost got me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

Little did we realize at time that Star Wars would peak with Caravan of Courage. the podracing video game

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

its a new lap record!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Neeva Kee is the best podracer in that game because he's got the quickest acceleration.

gently caress The Abyss track though. That was the only one I couldn't beat.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I don’t get why they would set the Acolyte only 100 years before The Phantom Menace. All of the really cool poo poo happened thousands of years before that. But I guess we couldn’t have a Yoda cameo then, and a million YouTube reaction videos of pathetic Soyjaks creaming their pants when he shows up with his little green laser sword.

gently caress, I hate Disney.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched dune: part 2 (2024, dir. denis villeneuve) in 1.43:1 on a 50' tall IMAX screen with 4K laser projection

what else is there to say. it's good as gently caress. I look forward to telling my grandnephews and -nieces, heh, yeah, I was there when it happened

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Go back 900 years and you can do baby yoda again

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

a real rude dude posted:

Go back 900 years and you can do baby yoda again

Don't make Cubone post the thing again

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We’re getting 100 year old Star Wars so we can see Yaddle suck and gently caress and give birth to Grogu

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

George H.W. oval office posted:

We’re getting 100 year old Star Wars so we can see Yaddle suck and gently caress and give birth to Grogu

it is as the prophecy foretold

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

dreezy posted:

You know, I've seen this picture many times before.
I've seen many awful things on the internet.
But this is the first time I've noticed the discolouration on the pillow directly under the Fleshlight. Right where things would splash and pool.

And I'm really upset.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

You know, I've seen this picture many times before.
I've seen many awful things on the internet.
But this is the first time I've noticed the discolouration on the pillow directly under the Fleshlight. Right where things would splash and pool.

And I'm really upset.

I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s probably just dried up cum

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBAYIZpiEE

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

dreezy posted:

Inshalla

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I sure do have strong opinions on whether or not the acolyte used the volume. I most certainly know what the volume is, and boy howdy, I could argue about it all day

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

do you think james bond could kill a dinosaur

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

can you imagine if somebody didn't know what the volume was? pathetic. how do you suppose you'd explain it to them? I wouldn't. I'd spit in their face for not knowing, but what do you think you'd say?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

can you imagine if somebody didn't know what the volume was? pathetic. how do you suppose you'd explain it to them? I wouldn't. I'd spit in their face for not knowing, but what do you think you'd say?

google spits at you? are they allowed to do that

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

google spits at you? are they allowed to do that

Always read the TOS

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i still think heat 2 would work better as a like 10 episode miniseries rather than a movie because that book has so much poo poo going on that it would be impossible to condense it down to even a 3 hour movie without it being incomprehensible

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kill it.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I sure do have strong opinions on whether or not the acolyte used the volume. I most certainly know what the volume is, and boy howdy, I could argue about it all day

I had to look up what it even was lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

#HeTwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

poisonpill posted:

These 4k star warses are plundered by privateers, I assume?

Googling "Star Wars 4K77" will more or less get you to the right website, which also has a forum, and the forum has pretty good FAQ's to get started. The specific download method is something I've never used before but it was pretty easy to set up.