Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Aramis posted:

It must have been an awkward moment when the insurance company asked what happened for him to get that injury, but he didn't have a leg to stand on.

He's probably really kicking himself now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

OneEightHundred posted:

No matter how much you've lost on shitcoins at least you didn't lose your legs trying to pay for someone else losing money on shitcoins.

https://www.businessinsider.com/taiwan-student-convinced-friend-amputate-legs-insurance-scam-prosecutors-2024-3

I'm not clear on how much was amputated. Was it just his feet? Because freezing your legs would require a lot of dry ice.

Lammasu fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 19, 2024

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
He'll never be the foot of a major corporation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

I'm not clear on how much was amputated. Was it just his feet? Because freezing your legs would require a lot of dry ice.

It says it was below his calves, so yeah feet.

Story is sad, his friend was in debt and tricked him into signing something that says he owed him $800k and then gaslit him into believing gangs were after him which must have made him desperate enough to try this extremely poorly thought out scheme. Like he bought insurance policies a few days before freezing his legs which is already gonna set off a million red flags with the insurer.

Also the excuse was he froze his feet (and only his feet) driving around on a motorcycle in Taiwan. A sub-tropical country on a night where the temperature only went down to 42 degrees. The hospital reported it to the police as suspicious.

Nov 6, 2002

After this disaster I hope he can pull himself up by his bootstaps. Maybe someone will feel pity and he can get a foot in the door.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Popete posted:

It says it was below his calves, so yeah feet.

Story is sad, his friend was in debt and tricked him into signing something that says he owed him $800k and then gaslit him into believing gangs were after him which must have made him desperate enough to try this extremely poorly thought out scheme. Like he bought insurance policies a few days before freezing his legs which is already gonna set off a million red flags with the insurer.

Also the excuse was he froze his feet (and only his feet) driving around on a motorcycle in Taiwan. A sub-tropical country on a night where the temperature only went down to 42 degrees. The hospital reported it to the police as suspicious.

I'm sure dry ice freezer burn is pretty obvious. Also, was he claiming he rode a motorcycle without shoes?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Imagine believing -- just utterly hardcore faithfully believing -- your friend's assertion that freezing your legs off will get you $1.3 million. So you do it: it loving hurts, even though you got piss drunk, but you're strong and you know it's going to be worth it, so you keep them in the tub of dry ice. After TEN HOURS, you go into the hospital, in considerable pain from the neuropathy and sitting in a chair for 10 hours straight. You wake up and your feet are gone. Your loving feet are gone!

A couple weeks later, you're arrested for fraud. Not only are your loving FEET gone, and you're clearly not getting $1.3 million, but you might be going to jail. How did you ever let that fucker Greg talk you into this? Your family was right. You're never speaking to him again.

Meanwhile, what Greg gets out of this is that he can actually talk people into doing things that are clearly the opposite of aligned with their self-interest. The bitcoin thing didn't pay off, and this ice legs thing clearly had problems, but you're sure that your next idea is going to hit the mark, and the last thing on your mind is wondering whether you'll be able to convince someone to do it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How did he trick his friend into signing something saying he owed him $800k? I imagine any court would immediately invalidate an IOU you were tricked into signing. I'm assuming that's where the gang stuff came in and he convinced his friend he was indebted to people that would get there money one way or another.

Overall a wild story, the guys real lovely but also the ineptness of the scam is something. Like the police investigating found the bucket and the dry ice container weeks later.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reading the link to the story in Taiwan News here makes a bit more sense. Sounds like the guy who lost his legs may have been in on it the whole time and wasn't necessarily coerced by his friends.

quote:

Chang claimed that a fellow student, Liao (廖) told him that gang members were after him, prompting him to fabricate an insurance claim. The Taipei District Prosecutors' Office did not believe Chang and Liao's claims and charged the pair with fraud and embezzlement.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cruft posted:

The bitcoin thing didn't pay off, and this ice legs thing clearly had problems, but you're sure that your next idea is going to hit the mark

well I'd say the ice legs idea definitely hit a mark, who is now going to jail without any legs.

Nov 6, 2002

I would PAY $1.3m to get my legs back.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

all the bad press about Slorg has been proven to be fake, so Slorgcoin must be a reliable investment!

e: all my slorgcoin, gone

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 19, 2024

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

many slerms were sent to a burn address in the depths of the Slorg that day, let me tell you

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

istewart posted:

many slerms were sent to a burn address in the depths of the Slorg that day, let me tell you

I understood that reference

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

tango alpha delta posted:

I understood that reference

we've all seen caddyshack grampa

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

he should have toed the line imvho

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lammasu posted:

I'm sure dry ice freezer burn is pretty obvious. Also, was he claiming he rode a motorcycle without shoes?

Have you been to South East Asia, that's like pretty common. I'm assuming he would of claimed he was wearing flip flops which is more usual.

Obviously shoes aren't the greatest in the tropics with the heat, humidity, and buckets of rain frequently.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 20, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, any idea I’ve seen just involves adding middlemen to a process that already works. New solutions to solved problems, etc. Stupid Tech poo poo.

It reminds me of a part of The Expanse book series.

In the Slow Zone, people started building platforms around the alien space station, except nothing would adhere to the station at all, so they just carefully placed the platforms very close to it and matched orbits so they would stay in relative place. The whole protomolecule was basically a computer found by a caveman who used it to bash other cavemen in the head. I guess the only difference is that the protomolecule had an actual useful function in the first place, unlike crypto.

BTW, since I'm on the topic of scifi, is Three Body Problem on Netflix any good? The books were incredible but I'm skeptical after The Expanse series.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Lammasu posted:

Tapei in winter is a nice summer day in Boston. Riding w/o shoes is dumb, but trying to convince people you got crippling frostbite is crypto stupid

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Bible posted:

BTW, since I'm on the topic of scifi, is Three Body Problem on Netflix any good? The books were incredible but I'm skeptical after The Expanse series.

Is this the one that was made in China? I couldn't stick with it. The book was great, though.

But I also liked The Expanse as a show (and a book series, for a while), so obviously YMMV.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Sokani posted:

He'll never be the foot of a major corporation.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

cruft posted:

Is this the one that was made in China? I couldn't stick with it. The book was great, though.

But I also liked The Expanse as a show (and a book series, for a while), so obviously YMMV.

Isn't it made by the game of thrones guys?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Isn't it made by the game of thrones guys?

Oh cool, Netflix made their own version a year after the Tencent one!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Bible posted:

It reminds me of a part of The Expanse book series.

I think it comes out Friday.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The actual Press Release from Taiwan's Criminal Investigation Bureau:
https://www.cib.npa.gov.tw/ch/app/news/view?module=news&id=1885&serno=8a38a1f3-3396-4553-a36b-d08984d3ec79

It does say Zhang was tricked into signing some sort of note owing money. But doesn't say how he was tricked or what the document contained...

Says it happened between last Nov and January. (Note this isn't part of the doc but for context: Over 100+ people died in Taiwan this past January due to the unusual cold. Obviously not cold enough to get frost bite but I don't think it would be completely outlandish for people to have initially believed them.)

The two claimed he suffered frostbite while in the mountain areas of the north, around 陽明山 (Yangming Shan), 金山 (JinShan), 淡水 (Tamshui) which can get very cold. After they suspected that his insurance claims were fraudulent, they checked with the local weather station which reported the temperature around there was 6-17 degrees Celsius. Not cold enough to get frostbite as they had claimed.

The message at the end has a request to the public to take care of one's health and not due something greedy for money just because of some small loss of money.

So to clear up any confusion in this thread, Taiwan can get very cold in the north. Taiwan is also not in Southeast Asia.

Edit: I don't write so good when I'm reading Chinese and translating over..

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 20, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

The actual Press Release from Taiwan's Criminal Investigation Bureau:
https://www.cib.npa.gov.tw/ch/app/news/view?module=news&id=1885&serno=8a38a1f3-3396-4553-a36b-d08984d3ec79

It does say Zhang was tricked into signing some sort of note owing money. But doesn't say how he was tricked or what the document contained...

Says it happened between last Nov and January. (Note this isn't part of the doc but for context: Over 100+ people died in Taiwan this past January due to the unusual cold. Obviously not cold enough to get frost bite but I don't think it would be completely outlandish for people to have initially believed them.)

The two claimed he suffered frostbite while in the mountain areas of the north, around 陽明山 (Yangming Shan), 金山 (JinShan), 淡水 (Tamshui) which can get very cold. After they suspected that his insurance claims were fraudulent, they checked with the local weather station which reported the temperature around there was 6-17 degrees Celsius. Not cold enough to get frostbite as they had claimed.

The message at the end has a request to the public to take care of one's health and not due something greedy for money just because of some small loss of money.

So to clear up any confusion in this thread, Taiwan can get very cold in the north. Taiwan is also not in Southeast Asia.

Edit: I don't write so good when I'm reading Chinese and translating over..

Obviously you shouldn't commit fraud for any reason, but if you're going to, put some effort into it. Even the barest level of research is better than nothing.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
imagine how much money he'd have if he froze his legs off for btc when bitcoin first started

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would say most people I see on scooters (which would be more accurate here than motorcycle) are wearing flip flops.

I learned my lesson when doing so as well, and so I won't do that again.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
he should have used the dry ice to cool mining rigs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

GoutPatrol posted:

I would say most people I see on scooters (which would be more accurate here than motorcycle) are wearing flip flops.

I learned my lesson when doing so as well, and so I won't do that again.

Do you let your kids hang off your back or do they stand up in front of you when you scooter?

The Bible posted:

Obviously you shouldn't commit fraud for any reason, but if you're going to, put some effort into it. Even the barest level of research is better than nothing.

yeah hard to say if the guy was just really dumb, greedy, or both.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
either way he doesn't have a leg to stand on

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
A classic case of putting your foot in it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Bible posted:

Fraud is cool and fun and all the cool kids are doing it but probably if you're just dipping your toes in for the first time you should find a scam that leaves you with all your toes

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Fraud is cool and fun and all the cool kids are doing it but probably if you're just dipping your toes in for the first time you should find a scam that leaves you with all your toes

I sold my toes for Bitcoin years ago. Don't miss them. I can always get more toes but there's only so many Bitcoins.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Strong Sauce posted:

Do you let your kids hang off your back or do they stand up in front of you when you scooter?

As god as my witness I will never let my child on my scooter until he's like 10 because I've seen the kid helmets they have and they may as well be wearing a sign that says "i want brain damage"

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Desert Bus posted:

I sold my toes for Bitcoin years ago. Don't miss them. I can always get more toes but there's only so many Bitcoins.

Not only can you get more toes but you earn compounding interest on those tasty tasty toe nails

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I once said I'd cut off my right foot if Trump has never paid for an abortion and a guy said I might end up with extra feet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Who do you think’s buying the feet that people cut off for bitcoin? Visionaries like me who know the currency of the future when they see it. I have 23 feet.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

The Lone Badger posted:

Who do you think’s buying the feet that people cut off for bitcoin? Visionaries like me who know the currency of the future when they see it. I have 23 feet.

And this is why I know I can always get more toes if I want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

The Lone Badger posted:

Why would you buy the feet when you can buy an NFT of the feet?