Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Captain Theron posted:

There's a group of them in Canberra that camp out in the centre of town every Friday and play a really lovely cover of staying alive by the beegees on repeat for hours. I used to work right next to where they set up and it was literal torture. I don't know what they thought they were accomplishing there, their audience were basically all lefty public servants who were already on board.

I really don't know what they expect to accomplish. Like blm or pride demonstrations don't aim to piss off the general public, they are demonstrating their mass support to those in power. Like be visible for sure, let people know about your cause, but don't actively piss off the general public who's support you need.

A protest that doesn't inconvenience those in power is handily ignored. Peaceful protest furthers no causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

they are funded and headed by a bunch of rich assholes that invest in airlines and other fossil fuel adjacent poo poo [...] it is designed from top to bottom to be ineffective.

Hmmmmmm

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Megabound posted:

A protest that doesn't inconvenience those in power is handily ignored. Peaceful protest furthers no causes.

But that's my point, they're inconveniencing people with no power and who are often already supporting them, at least in principle. ER doesn't cause any issues for politicians and fossil fuel execs when they block commuters. I'd have much more respect for them if they were regularly blockading parliaments or mining company offices.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
if you're pissed off and inconvenienced by a couple hours of traffic, imagine how annoying and inconvenient the collapse of civilisation will be

i think that's the idea, anyway. in practice, 99.999% of people are only ever going to actionably care about what's right in front of their face at any given time; climate stuff is still too much of an abstract problem for australians

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Precisely. They aren't wrong, but their tactics are self defeating. Protest at the people with actual decision making power, and build support among the community. We didn't win gay marriage by harassing the public and stopping them getting to work, we built support and pressured the government.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Inconveniencing the public inconveniences the state. It's a large jump from protesting to blowing up a pipeline (which I would like to see more of) but by making people late to work or whatever you're stopping a city from functioning at capacity. The issue with doing the planned protests in my eyes is that if you're asking the states permission to protest then you're just a line in balance book, that's just the cost of running a city.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Is it though? I don't think the state really cares about their perfomative protests.
I want to be really clear, I agree with their goals, I just think their tactics are poo poo. Other climate protest groups seem much more effective. That kid who sued the government and won over their duty of care for example, or Greta Thunberg and her movement.
Extinction Rebellion seems much more concerned with making themselves feel good than actually effecting change.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Megabound posted:

*Inserts noise cancelling earbuds. Rests in power.*

Megabound posted:

Inconveniencing the public inconveniences the state. It's a large jump from protesting to blowing up a pipeline (which I would like to see more of) but by making people late to work or whatever you're stopping a city from functioning at capacity. The issue with doing the planned protests in my eyes is that if you're asking the states permission to protest then you're just a line in balance book, that's just the cost of running a city.

This is weak. The government doesn't suffer anything losing the productivity, they suffer from shitloads of furious electors.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Climate change is about to kill everyone but Albo has his airpods in and is about to cross a busy road and the CEO of an oil company is speeding down that road using Tesla's self drive features.

How do you stop climate change????

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

JBP posted:

This is weak. The government doesn't suffer anything losing the productivity, they suffer from shitloads of furious electors.

Good, how do you solve that problem? You either ban protesting or make changes so that the protestors don't want to protest any more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megabound posted:

Good, how do you solve that problem? You either ban protesting or make changes so that the protestors don't want to protest any more.

The people are mad at the protesters, not the issue. You just ban those protesters.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Tbh those union protests are big inconvenience, we should really clamp down on that poo poo.

I was late to a meeting once due to union protests in Brisbane, wish they’d think about the people needing to get around rather than protesting about whatever it was (unsafe worksites)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The problem is that XR explicitly chooses a nonpartisan approach in the messaging, one of their 3 goals is "citizen assemblies" as a policy mechanism, there's absolutely no class solidarity in their approach and is the polar opposite of the union movement

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Tbh those union protests are big inconvenience, we should really clamp down on that poo poo.

I was late to a meeting once due to union protests in Brisbane, wish they’d think about the people needing to get around rather than protesting about whatever it was (unsafe worksites)

It's scale. XR generally seems like three people. Union protests are inconvenient, but the real ones usually target industry and marches are huge. If XR went to terminal ports and hosed them up I think people would be less mad since corporations aren't popular.

There are also huge climate marches and action. XR just strikes me as clubhouse spartacists. As I said I admire the moxy.

E: terminal ports also fucks with the workers there but they can just sit around and wait I guess. Unless they're casuals then they don't get paid.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Honestly just say that you support using the law to crack down on protests/protesters you don’t like. Hope it doesn’t get used on the ones you do!!

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Recoome posted:

Honestly just say that you support using the law to crack down on protests/protesters you don’t like. Hope it doesn’t get used on the ones you do!!

?? No one has said anything like this though?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

I didn't say anything like that. I said the government will do that. I don't have a strong opinion on XR. I ride my bike to work and if the weather is bad I work from home :)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Paracausal posted:

The problem is that XR explicitly chooses a nonpartisan approach in the messaging, one of their 3 goals is "citizen assemblies" as a policy mechanism, there's absolutely no class solidarity in their approach and is the polar opposite of the union movement

XR: beyond politics

also XR: citizens assembly please

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There are a lot of pissed off people rn due to cost of living being hosed and they're at max with what they can tolerate. If you give them the options of doing something the easy, fast way (remove impediment to car), or the difficult, slow way (redesign and reimagine transport and energy) it's not tough to guess where the vast majority are going to land.

I was looking at some polling this morning and climate v cost of living as a top five concern are on inverse trajectories.

E: quote me on this in a year, but I also don't think climate is going to factor into election campaigns much at all beside platitudes

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Like union protests are a good example of what XR should be. They have an impact on the public, sure, but they're much more targeted at decision makers and disabling sectors of the economy. And at least to my perception, people seem far more accepting of that, and subsequently supportive.
XR seems so much more focused on stunts and performance art. Can you imagine a bunch of unionists dressing up in disco outfits and dancing to one song on repeat for hours on end to protest low pay or safety conditions? No one would take anything they say seriously.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's the deal with the soup cans thing? It's too clever for me probably.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

I think it's just a convenient way to carry the soup around

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

that group 'Stop Oil' or whatever threw cans of soup onto some paintings?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

that group 'Stop Oil' or whatever threw cans of soup onto some paintings?

Yeah just stop oil. I thought that was also XR?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I mean Dada was started as an artistic movement opposed to the war, the reasoning behind it was "well, if we don't get peace you don't get beauty" but I doubt XR put that much thought behind it. It got headlines tho, which would be their primary goal.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Yeah just stop oil. I thought that was also XR?

nah, separate groups (as far as i know)

there is no central head body for XR, each group is its own little unit and there is no central controlling body from what i know. i had one friend who was involved in XR but left because a bunch of loving idiots joined, which basically drove out any of the actual talent and folks with a proper vision, leaving nothing but the "if we play drums we can finally stop woodside" people

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Megabound posted:

I mean Dada was started as an artistic movement opposed to the war, the reasoning behind it was "well, if we don't get peace you don't get beauty" but I doubt XR put that much thought behind it. It got headlines tho, which would be their primary goal.

I always viewed Dada as "silliness and pointlessness for silliness and pointlessness sake" as an art movement.

But it's cool that it was an anti-war thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Hot cross buns, chips and breakfast cereals are being downsized even as supermarkets retain or lift prices for the shrunken products, new research shows.

Research from consumer advocacy group Choice has called out Woolworths and Coles for reducing the size of some home-brand cereal packs from 560g to 495g but keeping the price at $4.50. The size reduction is equivalent to a 13% price hike per serve for Coles’ Mighty Grain and Woolworths’ Max Charge. Coles also lifted the price of its home-brand cornflakes product by 20 cents to $2.10, while cutting the package size from 475g to 440g, amounting to an effective price hike of almost 20%.
Last October, Woolworths reduced its home-brand corn chips packs from 200g to 175g without cutting the price, representing a 14% increase to the cost per serve. Hot cross buns from Community Co have also shrunk by almost 23%. The IGA in-house brand has hiked prices for traditional and chocolate buns to $4.50, from $4 last year, while servings have reduced from 480g to 450g.
Woolworths blamed the hidden price hikes on changing manufacturing facilities, shortages of raw materials and increased supplier costs. Coles similarly said their suppliers had cut pack sizes to “simplify production and supply chain”.

Paying 19 year olds 20% less, so you can pay 20% more! gently caress you, that's why!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always viewed Dada as "silliness and pointlessness for silliness and pointlessness sake" as an art movement.

But it's cool that it was an anti-war thing.
Try theses guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurism

There is an unfortunate fascist connection to Futurism but early 20th centry every art movement had a manifesto. Some more broad ranging than others.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Legal proceedings to determine compensation for almost 1,700 workers illegally sacked by Qantas have heard the airline would have still outsourced the jobs the following year due to financial targets and Australia’s tight Covid restrictions.

Compensation hearings continued on Wednesday to resolve the years-long legal battle between the Transport Workers Union (TWU) and Qantas over its decision to outsource jobs across 10 airports in late 2020. The federal court found the move to be illegal because it acted against protections in the Fair Work Act, and was in part driven by a desire to avoid industrial action.
Qantas, in making the argument the workers would have been retrenched regardless the following year, is seeking to downplay the amount of money its workers would have earned had the unlawful outsourcing not occurred. Meanwhile, the TWU has suggested total compensation could exceed $100m.
“The business had financial targets, those financial targets were set with regard to how the business needed to recover coming out of the pandemic with an expectation that it would be competing with a leaner and meaner domestic competitor,” he said, referring to Virgin Australia, which underwent administration during the pandemic.

Your honor, 'twas the business targets that made us break the law, you can hardly hold us responsible for those!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
they always say supplier costs make the prices rise but then the suppliers say they are getting stiffed by the supermarkets

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I had this book idea where climate protestors had set up an unknown number of bombs on random peoples cars, and start the day by exploding a bunch of them during peak hour. It's like Extinction Rebellion on steroids, but they're so angry they're indiscriminately telling the populace to go gently caress themselves. And if their demands aren't met, more poo poo explodes. The city grinds to a standstill as everyone is too terrified to drive to work. It was going to be a thriller/mystery kind of thing with a climate bent on it. I think I'll change the book so the villain is a fat guy going 'Why are they blowing up the workers cars, we're not the problem here! This is just red flag operation to get public support onside for more oil!"

But the true villain is that it actually was Gina Rinehart and her mining cronies all along.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cartoon posted:

Try theses guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurism

There is an unfortunate fascist connection to Futurism but early 20th centry every art movement had a manifesto. Some more broad ranging than others.

you're going to summon count chocula if you keep talking about the futurist manifesto

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Konomex posted:

I had this book idea where climate protestors had set up an unknown number of bombs on random peoples cars, and start the day by exploding a bunch of them during peak hour. It's like Extinction Rebellion on steroids, but they're so angry they're indiscriminately telling the populace to go gently caress themselves. And if their demands aren't met, more poo poo explodes. The city grinds to a standstill as everyone is too terrified to drive to work. It was going to be a thriller/mystery kind of thing with a climate bent on it. I think I'll change the book so the villain is a fat guy going 'Why are they blowing up the workers cars, we're not the problem here! This is just red flag operation to get public support onside for more oil!"

But the true villain is that it actually was Gina Rinehart and her mining cronies all along.

The Dollop just did a 2 parter on the Pinkertons, that’ll give you some great ideas.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i've noticed a bunch of stuff at coles that had crept up a dollar or two has now gone back to pre-covid prices so i think they may be making GBS threads themselves a little bit

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Spookydonut posted:

i've noticed a bunch of stuff at coles that had crept up a dollar or two has now gone back to pre-covid prices so i think they may be making GBS threads themselves a little bit

Check the size/weight of the packages. Almost certainly shrinkflation

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Check the size/weight of the packages. Almost certainly shrinkflation

streets cyclones, 8 pack, same size, they were $8 pre covid then crept up to $9 now are ~mysteriously~ back to $8

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
kettle chips are loving $6.50 for the 165g packet

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

kettle chips are loving $6.50 for the 165g packet

If you can, go to Aldi instead. Their Blackstone brand of not-Kettle-and-definitely-not-Red-Rock-Deli-either of flavoured chips tastes basically the same (and I'm pretty sure is made in the same factory), and they're usually $3.50 for a 200g packet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
why are zooper doopers so loving difficult to open?