Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah baked lighting can still look absolutely amazing. Origami King and SMRPG on Switch both look really good and charming even though its phone tier hardware because of the baked lighting.
The Metroid Prime remake also has amazing looking baked lighting. Where RT really delivers is the scenarios that are too dynamic for baked lighting, but that's tough to express in screenshot comparisons. The mind blowers for me have been open world games with time-of-day. Watching the sun rise in Metro Exodus, CP2077, or Dying Light 2 with RT enabled can be surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

acksplode posted:

The Metroid Prime remake also has amazing looking baked lighting. Where RT really delivers is the scenarios that are too dynamic for baked lighting, but that's tough to express in screenshot comparisons. The mind blowers for me have been open world games with time-of-day. Watching the sun rise in Metro Exodus, CP2077, or Dying Light 2 with RT enabled can be surreal.

Running RT lighting in Darktide results in some really excellent moments as the team moves through tunnels and sewers where you can see the silhouettes of your crew and enemies on the walls. Big cool factor.

Playing 2077 on my 4090, presented as intended, was also absolutely insane but that only feeds back into my point that consoles are cost effective machines to play games on. I think the priorities for presentation on console (4k and RT) are wrong, especially when you see games with strong art blow other games out of the water visually. Also my PC cost more than a lot of people's cars.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 20, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

I'd be pretty excited about PSSR

oh i'm excited about pisser alright

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think ray tracing is rad as heck. More games should do what the latest Ratchet and Clank game did is offer performance with RT. It lowered the resolution to 1080p but I honestly didn't give a drat. Looked great, ran at 60 fps and had a really awesome feature to it. This should be a standard.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Itsuno playing DD2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIGugCuTEk&t=135s

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Famitsu has given Rise of the Ronin a 37/40. I assume 5 points are for glorious nationalism.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many have been calling it, "Lies of the Phoned-In" !

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

Famitsu has given Rise of the Ronin a 37/40. I assume 5 points are for glorious nationalism.

Good enough for me, glad its turned out to be a good game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The difference between baked and dynamic lighting varies heavily based on context. In static and directly lit situations, the difference is rather subtle. In dynamic situations, baked lighting is a lot less visually impressive in most engines, although Decima handles moving between a set of bakes really well. The transition between each might not be smooth, but I think it’s fine.

It’s the indirect lighting situations where I think it shines most. Alan Wake 2 looks fantastic in its overcast misty setting and wouldn’t look half as good if it was baked…

…unless it had been made by Naughty Dog, who somehow pulled it off with TLOU2. They seem pretty secretive about how though. They talked about how it was almost a disaster and they thought they might have to rework the entire aesthetic, but at the last possible point their tech artists found a solution. But they’ve never given any hints as to what that solution was, as far as I’ve been able to find at least.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Playing 2077 on my 4090, presented as intended, was also absolutely insane but that only feeds back into my consoles are cost effective machines to play games on. I think the priorities for presentation on console (4k and RT) are wrong, especially when you see games with strong art blow other games out of the water visually. Also my PC cost more than a lot of people's cars.
Yeah 4K TVs were a mistake and PS5 left the station too late to ignore RT, but too early to have hardware that makes it worth the performance tax. It's a little unfair, this console gen has really great hardware but circumstances mean we're asking a lot more of them. Next gen could get over that hump though, as long as we hold the line on 8K TVs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

4K TVs rule, actually.

It's a shame most of this generations games have such sub-par image quality. The PS4 Pro had most releases looking fantastic through 1440p internal with checkboarding, but much of the PS5 generation has seen 4K output achieved by running 1080p internal through FSR1. It results in a lot of soft or muddy games with odd artifacts. Occasionally we still get pristine presentations, like Spiderman or HFW. But they're kind of the exception.

If the PS5 Pro's upscaling is comparable to DLSS and actually produces clean 4K output, It'd be worth the purchase for me.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 20, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's a shame that 4k TVs don't universally do 1440p. That would solve a lot of issues. 2k gaming is great and much less onerous.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alone in the Dark reviews are out. General opinion seems to be that exploration, writing, and puzzles are strong, but combat is dull and trivial which neuters a lot of the fear.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

:prepop: Gold Saucer :prepop:

:awesome:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How long until I get to an area where I can do some real grinding on these materia? It took me like 20 hours to realize the materia that weren't on active characters didn't gain any AP, so I've been sitting uselessly waiting for the AP Max materia to level up my Prayer materia for ages.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
God sometimes I really loving hate sony. Spend 200 dollars on a controller and the left stick is hosed all of a sudden. Ok fine just buy a new 20 module and bam it'll be fine. Nope. Sold out everywhere and has been for a while apparently. So guess I'm a dumb rear end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I really hate hearing these stories from America about buying replacement parts or repairing poo poo at your own cost when you did nothing wrong. It's insane.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

I really hate hearing stories from America. It's insane.

Feels like I just hear dystopian nightmares from there these days.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

Feels like I just hear dystopian nightmares from there these days.

It's all concerning but nothing triggers me harder than consumer affairs!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I really hate hearing these stories from America about buying replacement parts or repairing poo poo at your own cost when you did nothing wrong. It's insane.

Life in the USA is extremely cursed in numerous ways,

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JBP posted:

Which side though. The rebels or the shogunate

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The thing I'm most curious about with the ps5pro (don't plan to get one) is that it sounds like from the leaked specs it's the beta test for the psdlss solution - which was inevitable, and when we hit the ps6 is going to be the key that lets visuals take a massive leap. Internal resolutions and fps can stay at 1080p/30 and all the juice can go where it counts.
I really wasn't expecting them to get a custom ai chip in a mid gen refresh but it makes sense to get some practical work done with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

God sometimes I really loving hate sony. Spend 200 dollars on a controller and the left stick is hosed all of a sudden. Ok fine just buy a new 20 module and bam it'll be fine. Nope. Sold out everywhere and has been for a while apparently. So guess I'm a dumb rear end.

Yeah, this is pretty curious. The modules are def being scalped hard on ebay, straight from china :thunk:

Anyways, for the time being you could try playing with the deadzone on the stick in the controller options, maybe it'll help some

edit; there are still some ebay listings for the OEM part on ebay under $25, not ideal but just so you know. There are legit a lot of supply chain/manufacturing crises going on right now (PSVR2, for example) due to climate change, endless war, whathaveyou

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 20, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Maaaan, I keep reading about all these issues with the Edge. Making me nervous about getting one. There's a Nacon controller with Hall Effect sticks for the same price, but that has middling reviews as well.

Might just get a backup regular Dualsense and one of those back paddle kits you have to install yourself. Save $100 and I'll feel better about opening up the controller if I have 2. Need 8BitDo or HORI to make a cheaper pad with Hall Effect and back buttons soon-ish.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I love the Edge, it's amazing, no lie. But it ain't perfect. Still, 16 months later it's been a loving soldier.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Anecdotally, no issues at all with my edge. Hadn't heard they were prone to issues... though I think with any piece of fairly popular tech, you'll always find people who are having issues with it. What were the issues with? The sticks are easy to pop out, at least.

Interestingly, when Valve was asked why they didn't move to hall effect for the OLED deck, they said they'd tested it but they weren't happy with the reliability. Makes me very curious what they meant by that because it goes counter to general consensus. Kinda upset the interviewer didn't question them on that point...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Anecdotally, no issues at all with my edge. Hadn't heard they were prone to issues...

need an update, did you bust yet or are you still edging?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

It was a project that got scrapped.

How can anyone know really this? They spent years reporting on rumours.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Beyond the shadow of a doubt? They can’t. It seems likely though, which is as much as DF ever said themselves. You talk as if they were running clickbait videos about certainties, but they mostly commented on reports and questions in their podcast (and generally with a bit of skepticism toward most of them). They weren’t Vikar posting.

Edit: Heck, I can’t find an instance of them sounding sure that it was happening in a search. They never put it in one of their video titles, and google just brings them responding to supporter questions while making it clear they were discussing hypotheticals. The most confident quote I can find from them regarding it ever existing is when John says it was cancelled. Even that is fairly reserved: “So I think at one point internally, from what I can understand from talking to different developers…”

Edit again: they did put it in the title of two podcast and present it as "oh, we're doing these rumors again..." Rich says "they've taken these rumors and run with it" as he basically rolls his eyes at what he's reading. They also did one video where they looked at the Tegra iteration that Bloomberg claimed would be in the Pro, again being clear about the hypothetical nature of the analysis. I don't see how that's worth being upset over?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 20, 2024

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Got uncles

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

It is everything. Everything I imagined.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

They weren’t Vikar posting.

Vikar is brave and true, not to mention right about 75% of the time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

It is everything. Everything I imagined.

I just crossed the 85 hour mark and I'm positive I have AT LEAST 20-25 hours of game left :mildpanic:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm 65 hours and still in chapter 10 lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I just crossed the 85 hour mark and I'm positive I have AT LEAST 20-25 hours of game left :mildpanic:

I am at the 42 hour mark and just about to visit Chocobo racing for the first time.

I have been trying to hold it in but I need to gush about FFVIIrebirth.

I have Tif with me as I explore and we went to the theatre and saw the picture of Jessie and they reminisced and it made me so sad but also happy.

It is officially my favourite game of all time. The story is being told brilliantly with the character dialogue and interactions being in a league of their own. All of them riff and chat and feel natural. It is fun and has fun. It is displaying a story I half remembered in the way my imagination expanded things but in real time and it is pulling it off. The open world feels big but not empty and is fun to travel across and has stuff to do but not overloading it. It looks great. The gameplay in both combat, and chatting and minigames are world class.

The minigames! There are SO many and each one has been a blast to play.

Then there is queen's blood. I love Triple Triad. I love Balatro. Queen's Blood though...oh man. My favourite card game of all time, located entirely within my favourite game of all time.

The sound track is on ANOTHER level and I get to see it performed live in concert. A piece keeps playing on the travellators in Gold Saucer that is a poppy version of Tifa's theme and it is one of the best I have ever heard.

I love this game. I do not want it to end. I want to play and replay and replay this because I cannot believe I have a game that is doing everything I want a game to do, at the highest level and is not letting up. This almost cannot be real. I am so lucky. :D

Now, a ton of this probably sounds hyperbolic and too hype and too gushing and for anyone not me yes. It most assuredly is. This is not everyone's best game of all time.

This is just what is happening to me. I finally found a game to unseat Portal 2 and it has got me all whipped up and surprised but also so happy. I was excited for this and it overtook any predictions and crushed my hype so solidly by being great and I cannot even.

Also the haunted hotel is banging, and I would stay there, and want a bones clock.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

35 hours in (just got to Corel) and it’s bonkers how much better Rebirth is than Remake, like staggeringly better.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
im 10 hours into the grasslands giving serious sideeye to why hojo decided to make two child androids

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

How long until I get to an area where I can do some real grinding on these materia? It took me like 20 hours to realize the materia that weren't on active characters didn't gain any AP, so I've been sitting uselessly waiting for the AP Max materia to level up my Prayer materia for ages.

Materia on non-active party members do gain AP, so you don't really have to worry about that.

Vikar Jerome posted:

im 10 hours into the grasslands giving serious sideeye to why hojo decided to make two child androids

If you're referring to MAI, Chadley's assistant, Chadley made her, not Hojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

testtubebaby posted:

35 hours in (just got to Corel) and it’s bonkers how much better Rebirth is than Remake, like staggeringly better.

Remake was essentially just a proof of concept for this, and it was also a great game?! It's wild.

I have no idea if the third game is going to be good. Feels like it'll have a very different mood.