Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

It absolutely still feels like a modern movie 99% of the time.

the 1% is when Ripley pushes Ash’s head down on the table which to be fair looked fake as hell in the theater too

It always felt like an awkward cut to me, but the following talk they had with his head scarred me as a kid (to the point that that background whirring is the sound I hear when my anxiety is being a gently caress), so on balance it’s still great :)

Ash’s distorted voice is still unsettling, even as an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
When I first saw it I must have blinked or looked away from the screen for a second when the awkward cut happens, so for me the scene with Ash's talking decapitated head was the most impressive special effect in the whole movie.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ash is key to the film being as great as it is, it's just such a great reveal. Even when you suspect he's not telling them everything, the absolute freak out, the insane way he tries to kill Ripley, the TIT GRAB OF DOOM on Parker, and subsequent milk fountain once Parker knocks his head off are just GOAT poo poo and gets first time viewers to this day.

Without him, it's 'just' a stunningly beautiful monster movie.

In other news, disappointing to hear Cameron hosed the 4k remaster with uncanny smooth skinned nonsense. Guess I'll stick with my OG bluray.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

But David Bowie is dead too. :smith:

Oh no, who's gonna gently caress the 15 year olds now?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

When I first saw it I must have blinked or looked away from the screen for a second when the awkward cut happens, so for me the scene with Ash's talking decapitated head was the most impressive special effect in the whole movie.

Far be it from me to say I know better than Ridley Scott, but there was a far more elegant solution readily available. The action is already partially obscured by Ripley futzing around anyway, just have her move across the camera and put an edit there. Hitchcock did it in Rope in '48, and it looked mostly fine even then.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel Red posted:

Ash is key to the film being as great as it is, it's just such a great reveal. Even when you suspect he's not telling them everything, the absolute freak out, the insane way he tries to kill Ripley, the TIT GRAB OF DOOM on Parker, and subsequent milk fountain once Parker knocks his head off are just GOAT poo poo and gets first time viewers to this day.

In other news, disappointing to hear Cameron hosed the 4k remaster with uncanny smooth skinned nonsense. Guess I'll stick with my OG bluray.

Thinking About Aliens (the TIT GRAB OF DOOM)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My friend took this pic while at the Border Town Comic-Con in Ontario, Oregon:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OMG the giant queen head gear.

How can something so scary be so adorable

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh that whole scene is a beautiful mind gently caress and absolutely crushes any hope for the characters you may have had. It was the cut I was referring to, yes. I really would have thought they could have fixed that by now with some re-editing.

:corsair: The first part of the movie was terrifying and then Ash goes berserk, bleeds milk, makes strange noises, and tosses Parker like a rag doll. Androids were never mentioned as A Thing prior to that. Seeing that opening night just kind of spun me off into a feeling of madness just minutes after getting a sucker punch to the gut that The Company did the whole thing on purpose. It's just absolutely masterful.

And yes, I was traumatized - I was 11 and had 6 months of nightmares - why do you ask? :shobon:

quote:

What's this now??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just as per the body language class I took look at the difference between a boy and girl here. It's textbook.

I'm betting the Queen is a girl and the Xeno is a boy, I could be wrong though of course. Just guessing.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oh hey we might see something official about this goddamn movie for once

https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/1770216405352460646

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ChickenHeart posted:

That's uh... kinda ominous.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

hand banana no!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

Perhaps we will get an official trailer out of this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

According to the trailer thread in CD, the trailer is dropping tomorrow.

Cautiously optimistic, but prepared for it to suck poo poo after all the hot garbage we’ve had since the workprint of Alien 3.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I may be the only person in the world who didn't hate Resurrection and/or Prometheus.

I mean, they're not great, but I think Resurrection progressed the world along (xenonorphs behaviors in captivity was some new territory) and Prometheus had some good... casting.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
I didn't hate Prometheus, the casting and cinematography were genuinely fantastic, I just felt it was a neat premise very awkwardly shoe-horned into being an Aliens related franchise. The whole "David is now constantly researching & changing the black goo, so his creations now more closely resembles the actual Alien creatures" wasn't fully established when Prometheus was released, so the shoe-horning felt more noticeable back then, with the "kind of like face-huggers but not quite, back bursting kind of looking like an Alien but not quite" designs I felt. The early marketing messages constantly changing from "It's definitely an Alien prequel from Ridley Scott, no less!" to "Nope, no connection, Prometheus is actually its own unique story" to "Well, it's kind of a prequel just set in the same universe as Alien actually" didn't really help either IMO.

David in the beginning learning the proto-languages, playing basketball etc was great, the visuals are gorgeous, the idea of genesis aliens hating their human creation so they now want to wipe us out, is a interesting sci-fi story, and one you definitely can do a horror film with. Why did it have to be linked with 1979's Alien? Existing IP recognition and uncreative studio executives probably :shrug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Livo posted:

I didn't hate Prometheus, the casting and cinematography were genuinely fantastic, I just felt it was a neat premise very awkwardly shoe-horned into being an Aliens related franchise. The whole "David is now constantly researching & changing the black goo, so his creations now more closely resembles the actual Alien creatures" wasn't fully established when Prometheus was released, so the shoe-horning felt more noticeable back then, with the "kind of like face-huggers but not quite, back bursting kind of looking like an Alien but not quite" designs I felt. The early marketing messages constantly changing from "It's definitely an Alien prequel from Ridley Scott, no less!" to "Nope, no connection, Prometheus is actually its own unique story" to "Well, it's kind of a prequel just set in the same universe as Alien actually" didn't really help either IMO.

David in the beginning learning the proto-languages, playing basketball etc was great, the visuals are gorgeous, the idea of genesis aliens hating their human creation so they now want to wipe us out, is a interesting sci-fi story, and one you definitely can do a horror film with. Why did it have to be linked with 1979's Alien? Existing IP recognition and uncreative studio executives probably :shrug:

This is my thinking as well. Prometheus and Covenant are cool sci-fi horror movies saddled with Alien franchise baggage that doesn’t do either party any favors.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I may be the only person in the world who didn't hate Resurrection and/or Prometheus.

I mean, they're not great, but I think Resurrection progressed the world along (xenonorphs behaviors in captivity was some new territory) and Prometheus had some good... casting.

Can’t speak for others but I genuinely enjoyed Alien 3 DC, Resurrection, and especially Prometheus and Covenant.

It’s a dope hard-R series and each installment has the stamp and style of its director. I can’t think of another IP owned by a giant studio which allows that. Hopefully Disney doesn’t gently caress with that 40+ year formula.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

this made me laugh

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Space Jam posted:

this made me laugh

Reads pretty well in Jerry's voice

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Doctor Zero posted:

What's this now??

The Abyss, Aliens, and True Lies are getting 4k BD releases but early word is while The Abyss is fine, Aliens and especially True Lies remove a lot of the film grain and maybe an AI upscaling has smoothed out a lot of details so people look like uncanny waxy freaks, edges/outlines are more noticeable, etc. Not quite as bad as that Predator disc release about a decade back but still not great and not as good as the excellent Alien 4k release.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

Y’all he put a loving xenomorph in this pic. Play with the brightness/exposure settings and it pops up.

AlienTheory posted a pic showing it, and I had to go check it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Livo posted:

I just loathe how humancentric it became.

Alien 1-3 are humans encountering these ancient uncaring creatures who have nothing to do with us and view us just as breeding stock.

Prometheus and Resurrection tie them indelibly directly to humanity. They become less alien. Not as bad as 'David explicitly created them' Alien but thr more Alien becomes about humanity the more it loses to me.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'm telling ya Burke, what we gotta do, what we gotta do is get back to the ship, take off -vvvvvtt- and just nuke the whole site from orbit the whole thing, just... whistles, mimicking a falling bomb, ka-BOOM, ya know? That's the only way to be sure, baby.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm telling ya Burke, what we gotta do, what we gotta do is get back to the ship, take off -vvvvvtt- and just nuke the whole site from orbit the whole thing, just... whistles, mimicking a falling bomb, ka-BOOM, ya know? That's the only way to be sure, baby.

More Seinfeld/Aliens mashup memes please.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I want this so badly now.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

I admire its purity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish it was something besides "Here are shots from Alien/Aliens slightly remixed"

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish it was something besides "Here are shots from Alien/Aliens slightly remixed"

I’d rather have the Covenant sequel with David vs. Engineers, but I’m so down for anything that’s competently made at this point. Romulus looks like it’s made by a genuine admirer of this series rather than a committee hack so gently caress it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I just loathe how humancentric it became.

Alien 1-3 are humans encountering these ancient uncaring creatures who have nothing to do with us and view us just as breeding stock.

Prometheus and Resurrection tie them indelibly directly to humanity. They become less alien. Not as bad as 'David explicitly created them' Alien but thr more Alien becomes about humanity the more it loses to me.

:same:

Alien 1-3 were awesome because it was humans stumbling across some wildly ancient bio weapon; the remnants of a war fought a kerjillion years ago that is both unknowable and unstoppable, all in a weird cyberpunk-ish dystopia. Even the evolution of the movies makes sense - a singular Xeno is introduced in Alien, and a lot of the audience is left thinking "well, if I had a shotgun :clint:" then Aliens happens, and its proven that shotguns will not save you. Then Alien 3 shows a return to form - they know exactly what they're fighting, and how to fight it, but even knowledge and preparation aren't enough. Resurrection follows the return theme, revisiting Aliens and people-with-shotguns but actually know what they're fighting, and its the same.

Prometheus and Covenant gently caress all of that up and devalue the story.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, that sure looks like an Alien movie with aliens and alien accessories.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Vampire Panties posted:

:same:

Alien 1-3 were awesome because it was humans stumbling across some wildly ancient bio weapon; the remnants of a war fought a kerjillion years ago that is both unknowable and unstoppable, all in a weird cyberpunk-ish dystopia. Even the evolution of the movies makes sense - a singular Xeno is introduced in Alien, and a lot of the audience is left thinking "well, if I had a shotgun :clint:" then Aliens happens, and its proven that shotguns will not save you. Then Alien 3 shows a return to form - they know exactly what they're fighting, and how to fight it, but even knowledge and preparation aren't enough. Resurrection follows the return theme, revisiting Aliens and people-with-shotguns but actually know what they're fighting, and its the same.

Prometheus and Covenant gently caress all of that up and devalue the story.

You're leaving out one of the best parts about Aliens and Alien 3, the entirely realistic prospect that a megacorp would hear about this mysterious xenomorph and immediately think "Let's weaponize it and sell it!" Even without knowing its origins.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Can't say they didn't hit the production values because that looks oh so Alien to me on every level!

Nicely done.

Of course the final judgement will be the full movie itself.

If they can pull it off I'll be happy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm fairly certain someone has already pointed out that The Queen Alien is now technically a Disney Princess.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

teaser looks decent so far, hopefully we’ll get a full trailer by alien day

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

not really much to say from that except i guess they got the trappings and production design right.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'm just glad to see the Star Trek crossover is finally happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

*a single drip of milk-blood emerges from a hitherto undetected android*

romulan commander:

ITS A FAAAAKE!