Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Nickelodeon peaked at Pete & Pete

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It sounds like all of you should watch The Orange Years, on Hulu! It's a documentary/nostalgia piece about 90s Nickelodeon, the programming you think about for a moment whenever you see something orange, green, or slimy. Seeing Marc Summers and a few of the actors from those shows was wonderful in ways I hadn't expected. I also recognized a friend I hadn't seen in years in the man-on-the-street interviews at the end, which was bizarre. Check it out, see if one of your old friends is randomly in it too!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I rewatched a ton of it last year on paramount+ and it holds up really well.

Also for the record I love hey dude and salute your shorts but Pete & Pete is like genuinely worth watching even now. If you grew up in the mid 90s it's just comfy and puts you in a real specific time and place.

The theme song sounds like they knew you'd watch it years after it came out.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 20, 2024

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It was actually all about Kaaaaaaablaaaaaaaam
Which is still better than SNL

Oh man, I haven’t thought about Kablam in forever. Prometheus and Bob ruled.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I started a rewatch of Natural Born Killers, for like the 3rd time in 5 years, and I just can’t do it. First couple of times I tapped out at the snake bite sequence, this time was the drug store shoot out. I have seen it before, about 20 years ago, but it just kinda sucks and it’s a real slog. It looks pretty though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

toggle posted:

I started a rewatch of Natural Born Killers, for like the 3rd time in 5 years, and I just can’t do it. First couple of times I tapped out at the snake bite sequence, this time was the drug store shoot out. I have seen it before, about 20 years ago, but it just kinda sucks and it’s a real slog. It looks pretty though.

The main thing that resonates from that with me still is the interview with the kids talking about how cool Mickey and Mallory are and then awkwardly fitting in "oh yeah but we respect human lives and stuff". Kinda perfectly distilled a lot of problems with the USA.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just watch Wild at Heart instead next time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
NATURAL BORN KILLERS is still the best movie Tarantino has his name on.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I gasped so hard my monocle fell into my tea and biscuits.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

A MIRACLE posted:

Just watch Wild at Heart instead next time
:hmmyes:

See also: Love Lies Bleeding, which is excellent (but not on streaming yet).
Rose Glass really has been a name to watch since Saint Maud.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I actually had a couple of peers in my...seventh? grade class...go on Double Dare.

We watched the episode in our class on a rainy Friday. It was cool!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

wizardofloneliness posted:

Prometheus and Bob ruled.
It truly did tho as a lil kid it also kind of scared me haha. They had some weird stuff on there. See also Life with Loopy.
Oh yeah sniz and fondue were fun too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Okay the couples therapy episode of Mr. and Mrs. Smith was great

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

NATURAL BORN KILLERS is still the best movie Tarantino has his name on.

:wrong:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

tarantino movies I love are pulp fiction, the kill bill movies, and death proof. I need to try re watching Jackie Brown but idk if its gonna be a favorite

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
JACKIE BROWN kicks rear end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually had a couple of peers in my...seventh? grade class...go on Double Dare.

We watched the episode in our class on a rainy Friday. It was cool!

Our class did this when a few of my classmates were on The Bozo Show, lmao.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

yep. it's without a doubt in my mind Tarantino's best movie simply by virtue of being more subtle and subdued. He really brings out a great performance in Pam Grier.

low-key my favorite De Niro performance too. His playing offtype as a stoner dirtbag is so fun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

To be fair, it’s virtually impossible to make a bad Elmore Leonard adaptation.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pulp Fiction will probably always be my favorite Tarantino movie, just because of the age I was when it came out and how game changing it felt at the time. Jackie Brown is definitely his best though. Robert Forster and Pam Grier are perfection.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jackie Brown or Death Proof for me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Jackie Brown or Death Proof for me

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Y'all are sleeping on Four Rooms.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
no one even mentioned basterds or django which are insane bangers

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
No one mentioned reservoir dogs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jolo posted:

Y'all are sleeping on Four Rooms.

I think it’s fine to sleep on to be quite honest

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

tarantino movies I love are pulp fiction, the kill bill movies, and death proof. I need to try re watching Jackie Brown but idk if its gonna be a favorite

It's boring therefore it's the best one

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
personally I prefer the ones that end with at least most of the people killing each other violently

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

something about Xmen 97 is profoundly unsettling to me
its like a doppleganger

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There are no BAD Tarantino films, just ones that have less to say.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The only part of four rooms I remember is the lighter scene. I caught it randomly on ifc in like 2005

I used to watch a TON of ifc back then. Wonder if it’s still good

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Edward Mass posted:

There are no BAD Tarantino films, just ones that have less bare feet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Hateful Eight is my favorite. Django is great too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Robert Rodriguez had the best section of Four Rooms. My friends and I will still randomly drop a "don't misbehave" on each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QfgqYlCvxk

Quentin's was good too, the others not so much.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Population 11 is almost exactly the same as The Tourist, but I enjoyed both

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Inglorious Basterds is peak Tarantino, while Pulp Fiction is still my favorite and the most important work from him. I do agree that his movies have suffered some since the death Sally Menke, but I still liked every one of them.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Inglorious Basterds is peak Tarantino, while Pulp Fiction is still my favorite and the most important work from him. I do agree that his movies have suffered some since the death Sally Menke, but I still liked every one of them.

It would be interesting to see him do more period pieces. Now I've imagined a Tarantino movie in Victorian London and will die unhappy because he'll never make that poo poo

e a sex and intrigue movie about the de Medicis, a Napoleon movie, a movie about the moon landing where the astronauts all hate each other and are actually flying to the moon to find the Nazi moon base

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Tarantino, I recently rewatched Kill Bill and was a bit surprised to find that I enjoyed Part 2 way less than Part 1. The first one is just full with iconic scenes and my favourite antagonist (as I am eternally weak to Lucy Liu), but the second one just felt kind of overly self-indulgent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tarantino movie about the rise to power of Genghis Khan, he does all the usual gun stuff he loves but with Mongol composite bows

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Basterds is QT's best movie. He's right, it's his masterpiece.

Inspector Hound posted:

It sounds like all of you should watch The Orange Years, on Hulu! It's a documentary/nostalgia piece about 90s Nickelodeon, the programming you think about for a moment whenever you see something orange, green, or slimy. Seeing Marc Summers and a few of the actors from those shows was wonderful in ways I hadn't expected. I also recognized a friend I hadn't seen in years in the man-on-the-street interviews at the end, which was bizarre. Check it out, see if one of your old friends is randomly in it too!

I had a chance to hang out with Summers a while back, a little before his taxicab accident. He was pretty cool. We talked about Hulk Hogan being a psychopath and where to get a good burger. He recommended a place to me but said "it's... mucho dinero" in his TV presenter voice while making a little money gesture with his fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I watched 4 episodes of 3 Body Problem for insomnia reasons and as a huge fan of the books and someone that is hugely aware of how much the GoT people screwed up those ones... it's very good so far.

Episode (edit: 5) contains (major spoilers) the nanowire boat chopping scene, and it's very effectively as horrifying and violent as it should be. Same episode gets the big reveal of the sophons and basically all hell breaking loose.. I'm very excited to finish it up when I get a chance. They are definitely mixing or at least priming elements of future books already, which isn't a bad thing.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 22, 2024