Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If one is looking at released films, not Disney plus shows. There’s not been a lot of multiverse centric shows, basically just No Way Home, Quantumania, and MoM.

There’s not really even a lot if one does add the Disney plus shows (Loki, What if)

It’s a weird fixation. You’re using multiverse as a stand in for a general criticism of that they’ve released a couple of mediocre movies and the general issue of the siloing of the Disney plus series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Quantumania isn't even a multiverse movie till maybe the last three minutes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Spider-verse movies, even if they're not strictly MCU.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Right so like half the “multiverse” is Sony and not even Disney.

And the spider-verse slaps and did well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Right so like half the “multiverse” is Sony and not even Disney.

And the spider-verse slaps and did well.

Yeah, Spider-verse rules.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My favorite bit of No Way Home was Sony sneaking in a Venom stinger, and then Marvel clarifying "no, Venom isn't in the MCU, Sony just decided to do that"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Everything Everywhere also made a ton of money and won every "above the line" Oscar it could.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Just now learning that Captain America 4 features an Israeli superhero.

Falcon and the winter soldier got all hosed up because their plot involved a global pandemic or virus, and then covid happened.

How the gently caress are they gonna navigate having an Israeli superhero considering what Israel is (and, hell, has been) doing in Gaza?

If I have to lower my expectations for seeing a captain America flick (I'd say the strongest most grounded offerings in the MCU), then they've really lost me. Honestly leaning towards just feeling bad for people involved in the production.

Still I hope I'm wrong and they blow me away, even if FAWS had issues.

I mean, the parallels with FAWS... a group of young folks see the indifference of global powers to the plight of those they care about, and take matters into their own hands. Only to get obliterated. Cap gives a speech to the powers that be about doing better (while backing them up every step of the way).

Hope it's not as cursed as it seems.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

Just now learning that Captain America 4 features an Israeli superhero.

Falcon and the winter soldier got all hosed up because their plot involved a global pandemic or virus, and then covid happened.

How the gently caress are they gonna navigate having an Israeli superhero considering what Israel is (and, hell, has been) doing in Gaza?

If I have to lower my expectations for seeing a captain America flick (I'd say the strongest most grounded offerings in the MCU), then they've really lost me. Honestly leaning towards just feeling bad for people involved in the production.

Still I hope I'm wrong and they blow me away, even if FAWS had issues.

I mean, the parallels with FAWS... a group of young folks see the indifference of global powers to the plight of those they care about, and take matters into their own hands. Only to get obliterated. Cap gives a speech to the powers that be about doing better (while backing them up every step of the way).

Hope it's not as cursed as it seems.

They are (or were) in the middle of reshoots so who knows what they've changed.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
If you think you can’t have an Israeli superhero because of what’s happening with Gaza, you might have a distorted view of what’s happening there.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

If you think you can’t have an Israeli superhero because of what’s happening with Gaza, you might have a distorted view of what’s happening there.

what do you think is happening there, Super Deuce

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A large amount of people fully cheering for Israel, no matter what they're up to?

I honestly, don't think those events would sway anyone from including an Israeli super hero. Heck, the actor could be Majors squared and they still wouldn't drop that role, since it might not seem like full support to Israel.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 19, 2024

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Oh I’ve never seen the exact post a thread goes off the rails before this should be fun.

Spider verse nailed the multiverse and so did No Way Home. Both could have just been cheap nostalgia bait like the Flash movie but instead they had tons of heart and legit character arcs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Sam is gonna end the movie both sidesing the genocide like the end of the show

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hot take: I did not enjoy the second Spiderverse.
Too much laggy framerate animation and ugly chromatic abberation. Literally made my eyes hurt.

Also most of the characters are really one-note. Or I guess adding one note to a commonly shared one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yikes

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I mean, I can see why people would enjoy it and good for them. But I did not.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hot take: I did not enjoy the second Spiderverse.
Too much laggy framerate animation and ugly chromatic abberation. Literally made my eyes hurt.

Also most of the characters are really one-note. Or I guess adding one note to a commonly shared one.

It's a really good movie, I liked it a lot, but it's not nearly as good as the first one, which was drat near perfect. The second one seemed to lean a little too hard into gimmicks (looking at you, Donald Glover cameo) and "canon events", which I didn't buy into. And the lack of a real ending was a bummer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Sam is gonna end the movie both sidesing the genocide like the end of the show

"Do better." :911:

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A lot. It is, however, not okay to suggest nobody from a people can be good because something bad is also happening.

To suggest you can’t is no different from saying we can’t also have Captain America for… well, the exact same reason. It’s asinine.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Super Deuce posted:

A lot. It is, however, not okay to suggest nobody from a people can be good because something bad is also happening.

To suggest you can’t is no different from saying we can’t also have Captain America for… well, the exact same reason. It’s asinine.

Ooh ooh, name a good Nazi would you?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Monica Bellucci posted:

Ooh ooh, name a good Nazi would you?

Claus von Staufenberg?

Schindler?

Honestly, I don't have an objective definition of the concept good, so I guess you could dismiss them.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 19, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it unsaid that she's Israeli. She'll just be some contacts of Sam or Torres's, probably in Europe, who helps them find the MacGuffin.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Are they no longer using the specific Israeli superhero Sabra?
Because that name is pretty drat loaded, especially in the context of what the IDF is doing in Gaza rn

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

Because that name is pretty drat loaded, especially in the context of what the IDF is doing in Gaza rn

It'd be shocking if they did.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

EmptyVessel posted:

Sabra/Sabr is a type of fruit or cactus in Hebrew and Arabic.

See: the Sabra hummus/guacamole company (which is also not named after a 1982 killing in Lebanon).

It is also an old time-y slang term for an Israeli from the 30's, which is where the comics character got the name from.

Saying the name Sabra is "pretty drat loaded" doesn't make any sense and is basically the equivalent of saying the fruit "orange" is "pretty drat loaded" because it has been tainted by all of all the stuff that went down in Orange County, Florida. Any American is going to think of the dip company and anyone who speaks Arabic or Hebrew is going to think of either fruit or cacti if you ask them about Sabra. The Lebanese neighborhood of Sabra was named after the fruit. Sabra and Shatila combined is what people use when they refer to the killings in 1982.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 20, 2024

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Super Deuce posted:

Consider it against them changing FAWS because their pandemic thriller was releasing not long behind Covid. Captain America's themes (fighting for what's right, power, even politics and presidents). Sam Wilson already had his first Captain America story disrupted by real world events. The MCU is worried or restructuring or w/e.

I don't think it's a hoop they wanted to have to jump through. I'm nervous about how they navigate it. Especially being a captain America fan with strong feelings about the state of the world (so I did see your last point).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For as badly as they bungled the Flag Smashers storyline, it still ended with Sam descending from the heavens like an angel with Karli in his arms.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Death and little death

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Death and little death

Given what happened after, ouch

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Given what happened after, ouch

...crushed pelvis?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I meant her ego, but sure, that too!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

all this talk about how they're going to deal with horrible, hot button real world events is yikes nice, but no one has brought up the really tricky aspect of her character to incorporate into the MCU: she's a mutant

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah!! Don't want no loving muties in our films! Get the hell out of here!

Speaking of which, the X-Men animated show comes out today. It doesn't look great imo so I'll wait for some initial reviews.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The writers of X-Men 97 clearly read a lot of Claremont era X-Men. So much classic stuff going on in the second episode.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
X-Men 97 loving owns, was actually quite surprised at how good it is. I don't know how much of the recasting is out of design or out of necessity but everyone sounds great, the newbie voice actors fit in really well and the veterans sound as good as they ever did. It hits a great tone between the cheesiness of the original series and something that takes itself a little more seriously. The jokes are genuinely funny, the action is very well thought-out and I love the interactions between the characters.

And that soundtrack, god drat :rock:

And yeah the second episode is pretty fantastic. Magneto's character and new voice actor are both amazing, there were a few twists that I didn't see coming at all (god damned STORM of all characters getting depowered was intense and really set the stakes) and that scene where Wolverine drives an in-labour Jean to the hospital :lol:

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 20, 2024

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

X-Men 97: So uh Did Rogue and Magneto have a relationship in the original show that I forgot about???

Also this really is a Day After continuation. Lots of small little tech details like the use of walkman cassette tape players being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
X-Men is fun. Cheesy and fun. It's absolutely more of whatever the original is, except with slightly slicker animation, some reworked designs and now people can say words like "killed".

lol Cyclops lasering himself to the ground and all the horny beefcake shots of the dudes generally.

Storm and Rogue are still incredibly camp, and that's really all that matters though.

Edit: Oh lord Magneto's costume.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 20, 2024