Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Captainicus posted:

Encountered a nest of flying bugs in my last two missions

Damage to helldiver wearing heavy armor with 1 swoop attack: about 1/10th of bar
Damage to helldiver wearing heavy armor if you shoot them mid swoop and their ragdoll touches you: instant death
Damage to mech when shot mid swoop and the ragdoll touches the mech: instant death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

There's something super satisfying about joining a disaster game with quick play where there's just weapons and backpacks scattered over half the map and 1 reinforcement remaining and clearly 2 people abandoned the game so you and another new joiner rally the two newer players still sticking it out and finish the mission.

The cowards who fled were the weak links, Helldivers, not you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I was playing with goons last night and without fail the person running the thing managed to dump us right dead center into a large bug nest each drop. I was both impressed and terrified, it was definitely entertaining having that much "Oh poo poo" going before you've even called down your supports.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

had a goddamn supersoldier round at suicide the other day. the 3 randos could not stop fighting their way around the map and getting swarmed and chewing up lives, leaving me to scoop up the super samples, doink 2 (was it 3?) spore towers, do the sub objectives and then book it to extraction, where I ate my only death thanks to one of their mortar sentries lol. incredibly tense with my ems mortar saving my life repeatedly and a fuckload of running. still got out with my 15 samples, 10/10 would squad with these dummies again

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Sat on level 50 with maxed samples, requisition, etc and nothing left to do but grind medals for things I don't care for and have no intention of using :(

Kinda wish there wasn't a level cap given there is basically no point to levels after 25 (Mech unlock).

I've obviously democratised too much.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Durzel posted:

Sat on level 50 with maxed samples, requisition, etc and nothing left to do but grind medals for things I don't care for and have no intention of using :(

Kinda wish there wasn't a level cap given there is basically no point to levels after 25 (Mech unlock).

I've obviously democratised too much.

now you can enjoy the game. the game being blowing up bugs and bots while getting blown up by cluster bombs. hang out at level 5 running suboptimal loadouts focused on having fun

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Friends were getting salty again last night, no matter how many times I explain to them that we need to know when we're outmatched and react accordingly (aka hit da goddamn bricks) one friend in particular gets so bogged down trying to kill every enemy swarming him when it's clear there's no chance to survive then gets frustrated when he dies 3 or 4 times in a row trying to suicide run into a swarm to grab his gear. We played two games on diff 6 and wiped in both but completed the missions and everyone quit for the night all pissy about dying.

I think another big bonus of the EAT is not having to worry as much about losing your gear. My other buddy with the autocannon gets tunnel vision when he dies and inevitably sprints out on his own every time to go scoop up his autocannon which gets him killed over and over again and by that point the whole area is overrun so we're all retreating with like 4 less lives and no autocannon anyway. I probably sound like a dick but every time I'm like dude, it's okay, you can call another one in in like 3 minutes just make it work or hang with the team until then. I get the frustration but it happens every single time.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Finally found the flying bugs today - in this big plateau which also had a spore spewer next to the shriek hive, and it was possibly the highest amount of bugs I’ve seen in a single place. Like easily upwards of a hundred. Utter horrendous chaos

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

It's weird how games have evolved so much in the live service era. Back in the day you'd just play a game and have fun in the levels. But now when you cap out the various currencies it feels like there's no point to "playing" anymore.

Same thing with people talking about how to avoid enemies and you don't have to fight every enemy. That's why I play the game I want to shoot some drat bugs, not wait for a missile to fuel up while hiding.

It's not "wrong", I'm the same way, I love finding samples to progress my character and when I unlocked all the strategems it made the missions a bit more disappointing, it's just interesting how the "reason" to play has shifted so much.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
suicidal and above now appear to almost always spawn flier nests and in my testing they do not go down to a couple shots of the autocannon like spore towers do.

as another goon posted here dont kill them if they are swooping you its instant death lmao

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Spookydonut posted:

suicidal and above now appear to almost always spawn flier nests and in my testing they do not go down to a couple shots of the autocannon like spore towers do.

as another goon posted here dont kill them if they are swooping you its instant death lmao

Please. Tell me more.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

now you can enjoy the game. the game being blowing up bugs and bots while getting blown up by cluster bombs. hang out at level 5 running suboptimal loadouts focused on having fun

Sure, but as a longtime Monster Hunter player where your "level" goes up forever but similarly doesn't do anything meaningful after 50, it's nice to have.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I strongly agree with the phenomenon of failure spirals after the first death.

If you die in a fight that wat hot enough to kill you when had fire support off cool down and a loaded support weapon, you're going to see some serious poo poo when you redeploy into it without either.

Even if the team member is dead set on getting their samples and gear, it's much better to be thrown outside the periphery of the carnage and then choose your way in. That's something I really dislike about this game - I can't decide where to drop in and team mates often throw me into death sentences. I can go ten minutes without dying then die three times in a minute because I'm stepping out of the pod with clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right.

Maybe I should rush hell pod controls, too.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
While that's true, it's also a skill issue. Calling down reinforcements shouldn't be something you just wildly do while flailing around.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 20, 2024

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Even if the team member is dead set on getting their samples and gear, it's much better to be thrown outside the periphery of the carnage and then choose your way in. That's something I really dislike about this game - I can't decide where to drop in and team mates often throw me into death sentences. I can go ten minutes without dying then die three times in a minute because I'm stepping out of the pod with clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right.

Maybe I should rush hell pod controls, too.

God, this. What is my hellpod going to do against a swarm of hunters? They're just going to sit there and wait for the tasty helldiver snack to pop out. Stop throwing my respawn beacon like it's an impact grenade :argh:

vvvvv At least if it's into an Automaton base you can try and land your hellpod on a fabricator and clear that out.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2024

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ive got respawned into the middle of a big automaton base, yesterday. I'm convinced the pubbie responsible was doing a panic throw. Mightve even thought they were holding a different stratagem. :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wouldn't be against the idea of prestiging for better titles or interesting cosmetics to keep the dopamine treadmill running forever

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

jokes posted:

Wouldn't be against the idea of prestiging for better titles or interesting cosmetics to keep the dopamine treadmill running forever

Worked for DRG. Give people some flair to pin to their chest every prestige and nobody will ever complain again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Color options alone would keep me dead-set on prestiging constantly

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

It's weird how games have evolved so much in the live service era. Back in the day you'd just play a game and have fun in the levels. But now when you cap out the various currencies it feels like there's no point to "playing" anymore.

Yeah, like I remember all the way back in bf2142 it felt like the unlocking everything phase was the tutorial and once you got everything the game finally started. Now it's all about the grind and unlock stuff.

E: it is pretty silly that there aren't color options for prestige.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 20, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

Color options alone would keep me dead-set on prestiging constantly

100% this

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

GaylordButts posted:

Sure, but as a longtime Monster Hunter player where your "level" goes up forever but similarly doesn't do anything meaningful after 50, it's nice to have.

I initially thought it was a huge missed opportunity not to have the level cap go to at least 100, like they easily could have come up with at least 10 more rank titles, but now I'm almost certain they're working on a prestige system of some sort.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I will become the Double President

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AtomikKrab posted:

I went to robot nam today, Was hectic as hell doing a kill bots mission, got abandoned, more people were spawning in to get killed as I did a merry little dance around the outskirts of the level dodging bots

We somehow got to the clear limit just as the mandatory evac shuttle was counting down to 0, one diver managed to dive on apparently as we all died out

mission success.

To celebrate we went onto a civvie evac mission and hunted down some tanks successfully, I took an autocannon and snuck around bot bases while they duked it out and shot rounds into vents

Seems like they overtuned the bot exterminate missions after they were too easy before, though I am typically playing in a two man team. Best solution we've found is dying and then reinforcing on top of the rocks the bots can't reach then spamming sentries. Bonus with this method is when the timer hits zero and the pelican shows up it'll hover and mop up the bots until enough poo poo is cleared we can run to the landing pad, though it's not really an issue if we can't extract on that map anyway as we're never able to grab and keep samples anyway.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just ran stun grenades for the first time. They are indeed good.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The satire in this game is so on point. The very-clearly fascist humans calling the bugs fascist, who, according to them, are also mindless killing machines.

Just slapping "fascist" on everything between Super Earth and Space Oil

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AnEdgelord posted:

Just run the AC against bots, nothing else compares

Sickle + AC + stun grenades + EMS Mortar is amazing against bots.

Was surprised how fast the Sickle can take out hulks by shooting them in the vents and if they're facing towards you then two shots in the eyes with the AC will handle them.

EMS mortar just locks poo poo down for an extended period of time and makes it super easy to take out hulks & tanks. I've also found EMS mortar to be amazing at distracting bots for an extended period of time during extraction if you toss one down a decent distance away from the landing pad.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

Same thing with people talking about how to avoid enemies and you don't have to fight every enemy. That's why I play the game I want to shoot some drat bugs, not wait for a missile to fuel up while hiding.

It's not "wrong", I'm the same way, I love finding samples to progress my character and when I unlocked all the strategems it made the missions a bit more disappointing, it's just interesting how the "reason" to play has shifted so much.

Playing to complete the mission is not 'avoiding playing the game' just because people aren't shooting every enemy they see on sight. I have literally everything maxed out (technically I haven't unlocked the dagger but lol who gives a poo poo) and just play for fun and when I have to option to not fight the patrol with 4+ elite devastators in the middle of nowhere I absolutely take it because objective based combat is 100x more interesting than just shooting enemies in an open field.

If you really want to shoot stuff just pick soil sample missions because every main objective there summons multiple dropships/breaches when you activate them. Or eradicates because "constant shootout in a random field" is the entire mission for eradicate.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Give me a ribbon that shows up on my character's armor for every major order I put an arbitrary amount of work into. Unique ones for special orders (Termicide) and a generic service ribbon that earns stars up to a point for generic orders.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Give me a ribbon that shows up on my character's armor for every major order I put an arbitrary amount of work into. Unique ones for special orders (Termicide) and a generic service ribbon that earns stars up to a point for generic orders.

I liked the idea of "put a medal on your diver's armour for every mission you beat, but if you die they get reset"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

people don't need another reason to get salty

I'm still enjoying this game with friends, but some of them get mad about getting slowed, Helldivers having to complete an action or they get interrupted (get up! use your stim!) and it bums me out. You're supposed to die.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

turn off the TV posted:

it has the wrong image for the scavenger and charger too

I just pulled it all from the Sony website! I know there's not the flying guys there, so presumably it's awaiting a general refresh.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Warmachine posted:

Titles/Banners for your little player name for each Major Order you did anything for would be sweet and also completely cripple my ability to play anything else (I have not played barely anything else since this launched)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Tom Tucker posted:

The satire in this game is so on point. The very-clearly fascist humans calling the bugs fascist, who, according to them, are also mindless killing machines.

Just slapping "fascist" on everything between Super Earth and Space Oil
My favourite is the one dialog about how the bugs are relentless expansionists, because super earth has found them on nearly every planet they've colonized

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

My favourite is the one dialog about how the bugs are relentless expansionists, because super earth has found them on nearly every planet they've colonized

Every accusation is an admission of guilt.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Insert name here posted:

"You know, the problem with bugs is they're relentless expansionists. In their region of space, we've found them on nearly every planet we've settled."

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tom Tucker posted:

There's something super satisfying about joining a disaster game with quick play where there's just weapons and backpacks scattered over half the map and 1 reinforcement remaining and clearly 2 people abandoned the game so you and another new joiner rally the two newer players still sticking it out and finish the mission.

The cowards who fled were the weak links, Helldivers, not you.

It's honestly kind of stupefying why people die 1-2 times and then leave the game, as if somehow they were carrying you and "letting" them (inevitably) die means you just aren't good enough for their glorious time.

Bro, it's a Diff 5 mission that I'm playing just to shoot the breeze and have fun, there is no way that the group is gonna save you from yourself and your bad decisions. Hell, even if that was the case it's not like we're in any real danger of losing if you blow through 10 reinforcements doing stupid poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Flint_Paper posted:

I just pulled it all from the Sony website! I know there's not the flying guys there, so presumably it's awaiting a general refresh.

Yeah I know, I've seen the page before.

On top of the switched images it's missing the bile scavenger, the bile warrior, the small hunter, the nursing spewer, the charger behemoth and god knows how many variants of the basic automaton troopers and commissars.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Explorer posted:

people don't need another reason to get salty

I'm still enjoying this game with friends, but some of them get mad about getting slowed, Helldivers having to complete an action or they get interrupted (get up! use your stim!) and it bums me out. You're supposed to die.

Yeah I'm dealing with this too. I am constantly telling my friends to use their stims and not trying to be annoying about it. So many times I see them running around with 1/4 health left or trying to actively fight hordes with no health. Stim first, it keeps healing you for a few seconds even when you're at full health :cripes:

Thankfully they do the thing in this game where you can still get a MISSION COMPLETED even if everyone dies as long as the objectives were finished. "See guys, we did the mission! It's okay! Don't be sad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Icedude posted:

God, this. What is my hellpod going to do against a swarm of hunters? They're just going to sit there and wait for the tasty helldiver snack to pop out. Stop throwing my respawn beacon like it's an impact grenade :argh:

vvvvv At least if it's into an Automaton base you can try and land your hellpod on a fabricator and clear that out.

Legionnaire armor just so I can chuck these beacons out of the bs just as the new diver just Leroy’s in.