Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

It would be miserable, they should stick with a normal PSU. You'd have to squash the cables against the door when closing the case and you'd also have a bunch of extra cable length and nowhere to put it instead of being able to fold it up in the extra room the case has in front of where it expects the PSU ports to be.

Not to really argue the point over it since I agree the OP should go with a traditional designed PSU, but Corsair says cases need to be at least 210mm wide which provides 30mm of clearance for the connectors, and the Fractal Pop is 215mm wide. So I do think it would be doable without being a nightmare, but again you are correct that a normal PSU is going to be much easier for a first time builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Branch Nvidian posted:

Actually the RMx SHIFT might still work. it looks like the modular ports are on the back side of the case, so while it might be a little tight, I think it would still be fine.

The ports on the SHIFT are definitely on the side. I might be confused about which side (see below), but they’re definitely not on the back. So they’re either gonna face the right side of the case, where there is about 1 inch of clearance (I just popped the side of my Pop Air and measured) or the left side, which is basically inaccessible and probably also has the same clearance. I am having a hard time imagining being able to bend and squeeze all the bulky power cables through that, and even if it is possible it will definitely be a pain in the rear end. Not great for someone unsure about being able to build one.

This has brought up a possible mistake I made though: is the PSU fan suppose to face up or down?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sorry to beat a dead horse a bit here, but I specced up a similar build (to the 1,400 one Dizzy had) on the Maingear site and it ends up over 2,200. I know they are one of the best, and that some people can't/don't want to piss about with all this but that is a hefty markup. They will be buying components in bulk too. Not much cheaper, but still lower than retail. I hope they are paying their staff a living wage with amazing benefits.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 19, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

runchild posted:

The ports on the SHIFT are definitely on the side. I might be confused about which side (see below), but they’re definitely not on the back. So they’re either gonna face the right side of the case, where there is about 1 inch of clearance (I just popped the side of my Pop Air and measured) or the left side, which is basically inaccessible and probably also has the same clearance. I am having a hard time imagining being able to bend and squeeze all the bulky power cables through that, and even if it is possible it will definitely be a pain in the rear end. Not great for someone unsure about being able to build one.

This has brought up a possible mistake I made though: is the PSU fan suppose to face up or down?

Fan faces down in most modern cases since there will be a cutout for it to pull air from below the case. By "back" of the case I mean the right-hand-side if you're looking at the case from front-on. That side-panel is often also referred to as a "back panel," which is what I meant by "on the back side of the case." Apologies for confusion.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

runchild posted:

The ports on the SHIFT are definitely on the side. I might be confused about which side (see below), but they’re definitely not on the back.

That's what Branch Nvidian meant - they were referring to back as in the side behind the motherboard tray, where all the cable management happens normally. It's slightly confusing nomenclature but it's common to refer to that side as the 'back' side.

Anyway the rest of your post confirms what I suspected and can we please shut up about the SHIFT PSU now to stop confusing the poor guy who hasn't built a PC before lol.

runchild posted:

If there's a corresponding vent on the bottom of your case (which there is in the fractal pop air iirc), the PSU fan should be pointing out of it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Branch Nvidian posted:

Ray tracing is a non-vendor specific lighting model.
"RTX" is Nvidia branding for ray tracing, DLSS/DLAA are Nvidia-specific technologies for upsampling from a lower resolution to a higher resolution, and the 40-series cards can generate "fake" frames to give you a higher refresh experience.
FSR is an open-source AMD technology that aims to do the same as DLSS/DLAA, but it's not remotely as good.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Ray tracing is a universal path tracing technique used to make lighting, reflections and shadows look better and behave more naturally in games. It's resource intensive. Both nvidia and AMD cards can do it but nvidia are a generation ahead at the moment so their cards can do it better with less of a performance hit. DLSS and FSR are respective upscaling techniques used to turn a raw lower resolution image into a higher resolution output using wizardry. You can only use DLSS with nvidia cards but FSR is hardware agnostic (but again, generally runs worse than the nvidia equivalent)

cool thx. While Ray Tracing sounds cool, I've never been the most graphics at all costs guy, so who knows how much value I'll get out of it

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Sorry to beat a dead horse a bit here, but I specced up a similar build (to the 1,400 one Dizzy had) on the Maingear site and it ends up over 2,200. I know they are one of the best, and that some people can't/don't want to piss about with all this but that is a hefty markup. They will be buying components in bulk too. Not much cheaper, but still lower than retail. I hope they are paying their staff a living wage with amazing benefits.

Added to the hefty price there are the issues of unnamed components and short warranty. I hope they use high quality PSUs, but as the current discussion shows, a PSU choice isn't trivial.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Good to know I put my PSU in the right way round, lol.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

cool thx. While Ray Tracing sounds cool, I've never been the most graphics at all costs guy, so who knows how much value I'll get out of it

DLSS is something that you most likely could though. It can make a big difference in performance, as well as actually improve image quality in some cases. There are plenty of games around that can go from unplayable to playable and looking great.
It's a bit of a game changer, excuse the pun.

Mini rant incoming..
I wish that the AMD equivalent was as good (or even just a bit closer) and hope that Intel keep improving as I have giving Nvidia my money (not a fanboy thing, they are just too rich and have too much market share), but their software trickery really is very impressive.

Some capital-G Gamers talk poo poo about these technologies saying it's cheating, "devs are lazy", and "it's not real frames" but they are demented fools.

I'm a sucker for the fancy ray tracing stuff but I totally understand some people aren't fussed. But the upscaling stuff is becoming a fundamental part of performance/image quality and value for money. Sadly it's the worlds second most valuable company (or something like that) that have the best poo poo, price it how the see fit, and the market adjusts upward

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 19, 2024

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone used thermal pads instead of paste? Looks like a nice alternative to paste which I always hate applying.

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/carbonaut/s-tg-ca

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I just watched a video from either deBauer or gamers nexus where they said that they switched over to them for everything… they mentioned standardization/consistency as the reason. I guess a realllllly good application of paste might still beat the sheets, but I guess it’s worth it not to have to worry about getting the paste exactly right.

I went with paste on my build months ago, but would have much rather used this. I’m wondering what experiences people are having

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I think Gamers Nexus are maybe using that for their testing now. Partly for consistence, but it's definitely be more convenient the amount of changes they must make.
efb

It has pretty good rep. Meant to be good on super high temp stuff to avoid "pump out" or something, but that's not in my wheel house at all.

Last year Amazon accidentally sent me a 45G tube by mistake and only charged me for a 4G, so I'll be using that til the day I die (or it dries up) It looks comically large.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

namlosh posted:

I just watched a video from either deBauer or gamers nexus where they said that they switched over to them for everything… they mentioned standardization/consistency as the reason. I guess a realllllly good application of paste might still beat the sheets, but I guess it’s worth it not to have to worry about getting the paste exactly right.

I went with paste on my build months ago, but would have much rather used this. I’m wondering what experiences people are having

The sheets are 1-4C less effective than the best thermal paste.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Kibner posted:

The sheets are 1-4C less effective than the best thermal paste.

I don't think it's worth it, personally, I don't use electrically conductive paste, and I wouldn't want to use electrically conductive pads.
My current favourite for what it's worth (which is probably nothing) is Arctic MX-6. Previously I used Kryonaut for many years

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Wait what, are those pads electrically conductive? If so, gently caress that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Reiterating background: I was originally going to update just the GPU in my PC and hand it off to my daughter. My son returned home unexpectedly, and I am now handing off my PC to him (his gaming habits are less graphically intensive) and building a new PC for my daughter. Her main concerns are playing Baldur's Gate 3 and Hogwarts Legacy at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz.

I started with the Modest AMD Gaming PC Guide on PCPartPicker and made changes based on what I think we want/need:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 UD AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($60.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Case: *Fractal Design Pop Air RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $870.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-19 16:03 EDT-0400

Changes I made:
Added the CPU cooler.
MB was changed because WiFi is required, and I like having it on-board.
Bumped up to 32 GB of RAM because it's cheap right now.
Changed the storage to a brand I recognize for a few dollars more.
Changed the video card to a 4060 because I already have one on order, and because I like the idea of having a quiet mode built in. I know it's in a weird spot of being 'good enough' but not quite great, but I think it fits our needs.
Changed the case to the Pop Air RGB because Fractal has never done my wrong, and my daughter wants lights.
Changed the PSU to Gold from Bronze.

Does anything stick out to anybody, or should I go ahead and hit the purchase button?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

I don't think it's worth it, personally, I don't use electrically conductive paste, and I wouldn't want to use electrically conductive pads.
My current favourite for what it's worth (which is probably nothing) is Arctic MX-6. Previously I used Kryonaut for many years

That’s not like the CPU sits at 100% usage all the time anyway the GPU does that way more often unless you do like actual work with your computer.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

Reiterating background: I was originally going to update just the GPU in my PC and hand it off to my daughter. My son returned home unexpectedly, and I am now handing off my PC to him (his gaming habits are less graphically intensive) and building a new PC for my daughter. Her main concerns are playing Baldur's Gate 3 and Hogwarts Legacy at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz.

I started with the Modest AMD Gaming PC Guide on PCPartPicker and made changes based on what I think we want/need:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 UD AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($60.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Case: *Fractal Design Pop Air RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $870.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-19 16:03 EDT-0400

Changes I made:
Added the CPU cooler.
MB was changed because WiFi is required, and I like having it on-board.
Bumped up to 32 GB of RAM because it's cheap right now.
Changed the storage to a brand I recognize for a few dollars more.
Changed the video card to a 4060 because I already have one on order, and because I like the idea of having a quiet mode built in. I know it's in a weird spot of being 'good enough' but not quite great, but I think it fits our needs.
Changed the case to the Pop Air RGB because Fractal has never done my wrong, and my daughter wants lights.
Changed the PSU to Gold from Bronze.

Does anything stick out to anybody, or should I go ahead and hit the purchase button?

If you hadn't already ordered the GPU I'd suggest spending about $25 more for a 6700 XT, but since it's already on the way everything else looks good with the small caveat that the RMe PSUs apparently can be kinda noisy. Pull the trigger otherwise.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Motherboard (asus tuf gaming plus wifi b650) arrived with what looks like a bent pin on the main mobo connector. This is worth a return right? Do I want to RMA it to amazon or do I want to just try to buy a new one and take a refund on this?

Can you post a closeup of this area? It looks like major damage where an IC, power-related judging by the package, should be.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I think I might replace my 6 year old fans with my next build. Is Lian Li the way to go If I want chainable RGB fans?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

taqueso posted:

Can you post a closeup of this area? It looks like major damage where an IC, power-related judging by the package, should be.

Looks like solder deposited on pads for an unpopulated part

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

hattersmad posted:

Looks like solder deposited on pads for an unpopulated part

ahh yeah I think you're right, my brain was interpreting the solder on the exposed pad as some kind of void

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

If you hadn't already ordered the GPU I'd suggest spending about $25 more for a 6700 XT, but since it's already on the way everything else looks good with the small caveat that the RMe PSUs apparently can be kinda noisy. Pull the trigger otherwise.

I'd rather avoid a noise PSU - I was just grabbing a name I recognize. What would be the current recommendations?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

taqueso posted:

ahh yeah I think you're right, my brain was interpreting the solder on the exposed pad as some kind of void

I found a review picture of the board with the same place empty

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'd rather avoid a noise PSU - I was just grabbing a name I recognize. What would be the current recommendations?

Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 750W 80+ Gold

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thanks. I’ll put in my orders tonight.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Whitest Russian posted:

I think I might replace my 6 year old fans with my next build. Is Lian Li the way to go If I want chainable RGB fans?

I really like the sl infinity line of fans from them. Not sure if anyone else does chained fans like them.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Kibner posted:

I really like the sl infinity line of fans from them. Not sure if anyone else does chained fans like them.

That's what I was looking to get. Do you think I need to get the hub? I was going to chain 3 of them for the intake a 1 exhaust at the back and on the side. All 140mms.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Whitest Russian posted:

Corsair does too.

And Deepcool, and Phanteks and a few others.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Whitest Russian posted:

That's what I was looking to get. Do you think I need to get the hub? I was going to chain 3 of them for the intake a 1 exhaust at the back and on the side. All 140mms.

Yes, I believe you really want the hub. You won't really be able to control the lighting effects well without it, iirc. I also have the 140mm's for my external radiator and a couple more for my case. I really like them!

https://i.imgur.com/RAQkcsu.mp4

e:

spunkshui posted:

Corsair does too.

glad i'm wrong and that more companies are doing it! it is one of the best innovations in fans recently

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

spunkshui posted:

Corsair does too.

Is Lian Li the way to go? They seem to have the best connector but I was wondering if someone else had a better overall experience. Like less lovely/invasive control software.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I wandered away from my computer while it was on a game menu screen, absently closed the office door, then forgot about it and went to bed. About 14 hours later I went back in the room to find it like 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house and the CPU/GPU fans audibly running, as they do when I'm actively playing a game. GPU (3080 TI) temp said 80C. I know 80 is fine, but is it bad for it to be that temperature nonstop for hours and hours? Everything seems to be running fine now, but I need someone to tell me that everything is going to be okay.

Weird that the GPU seemed like it was working as hard to keep a menu screen drawn up as it does when I'm actually playing. Why does it do that? It wasn't even an interactive screen with animations or anything - it was a static image.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Racing Stripe posted:

I wandered away from my computer while it was on a game menu screen, absently closed the office door, then forgot about it and went to bed. About 14 hours later I went back in the room to find it like 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house and the CPU/GPU fans audibly running, as they do when I'm actively playing a game. GPU (3080 TI) temp said 80C. I know 80 is fine, but is it bad for it to be that temperature nonstop for hours and hours? Everything seems to be running fine now, but I need someone to tell me that everything is going to be okay.

It's absolutely fine. As long as the parts aren't exceeding their thermal limits, there is no reason to be concerned whether they are running at constant "warm" temps for a few minutes or days on end.

quote:

Weird that the GPU seemed like it was working as hard to keep a menu screen drawn up as it does when I'm actually playing. Why does it do that? It wasn't even an interactive screen with animations or anything - it was a static image.

Depends on the game, but if you have a framerate tracker like fraps or the Nvidia/AMD overlays going you'll see on menu and pause screens that the games suddenly start producing exponentially more frames per second refreshing that static image. I assume that's what happened here.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Any thoughts on this Gigabyte branded 4070 Super vs. the one I have saved in my planned build? I wouldn't mind picking up the GPU in-person because it's the most expensive component, and I would hate to just wait for a $600 GPU to show up on my doorstep or possibly get stolen. It would be like a $10-20 difference. I checked the Gigabyte card and it's compatible with the rest of the build.

Current picked part - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hfjRsY/asus-dual-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-dual-rtx4070s-12g

Micro Center instore - https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Any thoughts on this Gigabyte branded 4070 Super vs. the one I have saved in my planned build? I wouldn't mind picking up the GPU in-person because it's the most expensive component, and I would hate to just wait for a $600 GPU to show up on my doorstep or possibly get stolen. It would be like a $10-20 difference. I checked the Gigabyte card and it's compatible with the rest of the build.

Current picked part - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hfjRsY/asus-dual-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-dual-rtx4070s-12g

Micro Center instore - https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card

It's going to come down to aesthetics and cooling performance. I believe the ASUS Dual cooler is supposed to be one of the better custom cooler designs, but the Gigabyte may be just as good or I'm wrong about the ASUS' cooling superiority. Personally, I don't like how Gigabyte cards look, so if I had a see-through side panel I'd avoid their cards simply on that basis alone. If you don't mind how it looks then I don't see there being any issue with going with it over the ASUS really.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's going to come down to aesthetics and cooling performance. I believe the ASUS Dual cooler is supposed to be one of the better custom cooler designs, but the Gigabyte may be just as good or I'm wrong about the ASUS' cooling superiority. Personally, I don't like how Gigabyte cards look, so if I had a see-through side panel I'd avoid their cards simply on that basis alone. If you don't mind how it looks then I don't see there being any issue with going with it over the ASUS really.

Oh yeah, this isn't a build for aesthetics, I don't give a poo poo how the inside looks aside from cable management. I'll likely do the in-store pickup, then. Thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Racing Stripe posted:

If that menu screen was running at an unlocked fps, I congratulate you on having a stable GPU! Doing that kind of thing is almost like a stress test, tbh.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's absolutely fine. As long as the parts aren't exceeding their thermal limits, there is no reason to be concerned whether they are running at constant "warm" temps for a few minutes or days on end.

Okay, thanks!

Kibner posted:

If that menu screen was running at an unlocked fps, I congratulate you on having a stable GPU! Doing that kind of thing is almost like a stress test, tbh.

Sweet, now I know I can count on my hardware if I ever want to stream a charity marathon gaming session. Check my Twitch stream to see me play poorly for five hours, then fall asleep in my chair!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Taking a temperature check on a new build for a gaming PC at 1440p with mostly high settings. I do have a RTX 3070 that I could carry over but not much else besides some SSD drives. I feel like I want to wait until my current system straight up can not run games anymore and/or it turns to dust (I have a i5 8400 with 16GB, which is good for most things but getting creaky), but I am curious about how much a decent system would currently set me back to see if I am willing to swing it.

To start out with, what is the 'Sweet Spot' CPU these days? Also, is it still recommended that you only have 2 ram sticks, max?

Yes, I do have a Microcenter near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Taking a temperature check on a new build for a gaming PC at 1440p with mostly high settings. I do have a RTX 3070 that I could carry over but not much else besides some SSD drives. I feel like I want to wait until my current system straight up can not run games anymore and/or it turns to dust (I have a i5 8400 with 16GB, which is good for most things but getting creaky), but I am curious about how much a decent system would currently set me back to see if I am willing to swing it.

To start out with, what is the 'Sweet Spot' CPU these days? Also, is it still recommended that you only have 2 ram sticks, max?

Yes, I do have a Microcenter near me.

Go to Micro Center, buy this bundle (assuming it fits in your current case), swap the parts out, carry on with your GPU. https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle