Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SpaceAceJase posted:

Is the HD update good or does it ruin the vibe?

It's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

side_burned posted:

I started playing Dusk again and there is a very strong argument that it is still the best boomer shooter to came out in the half decade or so since its release.

I'd be more interested if there's an argument for anything else.

I think Cultic delivering on its next 2 episodes is the closest we have to a contender, but for me it's Dusk all the way otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Severed Steel counts (I wouldn't) its my vote.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ooooooooh.... I know I kind of dropped off this thread for months and months, so I'm going to assume someone already posted about the next game from the Void Bastards guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9dRM27Drm8

I love love love VB, I'm hoping I'll like this as much.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bumhead posted:

I'd be more interested if there's an argument for anything else.

I think Cultic delivering on its next 2 episodes is the closest we have to a contender, but for me it's Dusk all the way otherwise.

I think the plan is only part 2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've always been curious how many more copies of Iron Lung sold than DUSK.

His Condemned-like is looking neat. Said he expects it to be about three hours long and release this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WJjAR3jmU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Amid Evil and DUSK are basically my measuring sticks for boomer shooters.

Tbh, looking forward to the mini boomer RTS revival that seems to be happening relatively soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm just a bit into episode 2 of Dusk, and I wish to christ it was grabbing me as much as it's grabbing all of you. I haven't played it for a while, so I should probably fix that and actually beat it. I like it, but I want to love it, and so far, I don't :shrug:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the plan is only part 2.

Heh, that's what you get for just automatically assuming all these things have 3 or 4 episodes.

FWIW I think Cultic is in this genre's elite tier even just based on what we have so far, so if the 2nd episode matches the 1st in quality, I think we're eatin' good.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Tbh, looking forward to the mini boomer RTS revival that seems to be happening relatively soon.

Given how much I'm enjoying Tiberian Sun at the moment, I'll give this a gently caress YEAH.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm just a bit into episode 2 of Dusk, and I wish to christ it was grabbing me as much as it's grabbing all of you. I haven't played it for a while, so I should probably fix that and actually beat it. I like it, but I want to love it, and so far, I don't :shrug:

I thought ep1 was totally fine - good movement, good armory, but the look and design of the levels was a little too close to real and drab, something about it didn't really draw me in. The level design gets like exponentially better the further into eps2 & 3 you get, coupled with more frenetic combat. It comes together really nicely, I loved it by the end

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Dusk is mid

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

szary posted:

Dusk is mid

gently caress you

koren
Sep 7, 2003

They hated him because he was right.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

koren posted:

They hated him because he was right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think the game is really good from the first episode but it gets even better and weirder in the latter episodes. If I had to list the five best maps they'd all be in episodes 2 and 3.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

szary posted:

Dusk is mid

Lunacy. Perhaps even degeneracy.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I like Dusk a lot but I do really think Cultic kinda does everything it does but significantly better. v:shobon:v

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Dusk is probably the best modern Quakelike shooter I've played, but I still can't drag myself through the whole game for some reason. I think it's just close enough to Doom that when I'm in the mood for that kind of game, I just want to play Doom. Weirdly I've played Episode 1 of Dusk like 9 times and never played any of the other episodes, even though I know everyone says the other ones are much better. I have a brainworm where every time I come back to play it after a long absence, I want to start from scratch and play the whole thing all the way through, but I always peter out during or just after Episode 1.

edit: I also have the completionist brainworm which makes me run around the same level for 45 minutes trying to find every secret and kill every enemy which probably contributes. I should do a "gently caress it, just exit" run as my first playthrough I guess.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 20, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

szary posted:

Dusk is mid

ya moms mid!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I always am a "just exit" gamer. Plus I played on Normal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm a simple guy, I see an exit, I take it. That's my policy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1770219477688529355

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They will let night dive do the work and then bin it for a tax write off before release

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

site posted:

They will let night dive do the work and then bin it for a tax write off before release

I will dig through Kaiser's trashcans to find the CD with the finished game if this happens

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dusk is the best modern boomer shooter and there's nothing even close. Amid Evil and HROT are fine but I didn't find them near as enjoyable as Dusk and Cultic is good but I'm not near as high on it as most in the thread.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dusk and AE are neck and neck for me, with the latter having higher highs but also a few "wasted" levels at the end there. Haven't played Wrath yet but I suspect it'll have the same issue as Turbo Overkill (which probably has the best pure gameplay of any of them) that'll ultimately drop it slightly below: pacing. I also have to play Ion Fury remixed + Aftermath, because I did like IF more than many. Looking forward, I expect the completed Cultic and Selaco to shoot up the charts, too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ooooooooh.... I know I kind of dropped off this thread for months and months, so I'm going to assume someone already posted about the next game from the Void Bastards guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9dRM27Drm8

I love love love VB, I'm hoping I'll like this as much.

I loved a lot about VB but felt like it was hampered by the roguelike design of it.

Not totally sure about this one, I guess the setting better suits their fixation on rogueliking it up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Something from the other side of the quality scale: mourning Graven, I more or less randomly clicked the justly forgotten Hexen tribute shooter Hands of Necromancy and lo and behold, they've been working on it post-release, adding a free expansion and some extra features like alternative fire modes for weapons. Played for about an hour and while the level design still isn't anything to write home about, the weapons definitely feel better to use - it seems they managed to fix some of the more egregious problems like the wonky hitbox on the tornado spell.

Dare I suggest that it might actually be decent now?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Something from the other side of the quality scale: mourning Graven, I more or less randomly clicked the justly forgotten Hexen tribute shooter Hands of Necromancy and lo and behold, they've been working on it post-release, adding a free expansion and some extra features like alternative fire modes for weapons. Played for about an hour and while the level design still isn't anything to write home about, the weapons definitely feel better to use - it seems they managed to fix some of the more egregious problems like the wonky hitbox on the tornado spell.

Dare I suggest that it might actually be decent now?

Thanks for the update on this, as I picked it up a while back but didn't get around to playing much of it - will have to correct that soon!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

I played DUSK recently and I felt the same. The combat does get better as it throws more at you, but ultimately I found fighting the low tier enemies really boring compared to other games. I also just didn't like some of the weapons and the ammo could get limited enough that you'd have to use them if you're not finding every secret. Artstyle also really did not vibe with me after EP1, except in a few levels.

Overall it firmly slots into "good" for me, but I would rather replay other stuff than come back to it. It may just be because I love the 2.5D era way more than any of the early 3D era FPS games pre half-life.

Volte posted:

edit: I also have the completionist brainworm which makes me run around the same level for 45 minutes trying to find every secret and kill every enemy which probably contributes. I should do a "gently caress it, just exit" run as my first playthrough I guess.

I don't enjoy secret hunting but in DUSK once you have the full weapon roster you can pretty much ignore them unless you're really low on a certain ammo or health.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 20, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lotta terrible opinions lately.

Not mine tho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have fun with most of the boomer shooters I play so I think some people are just curmudgeons

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dusk is really good for a new solo dev’s first major release, and also if it’s the first new old school FPS you’ve played in a long time which it probably was for a lot of people? It’s not flawless and I think it peaks at Erebus Reactor and then tails off into gimmicks a bit in ep 3. But I had a great time with it when it came out.

I gave it a try again with HD and it’s fun. Not without some iffy fights and levels (and tbh I think I like the original grafix better) but fun. Somehow I still haven’t found all the soap.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
reminds me i need to finish my intruder mode Cero Miedo run. funnnnn

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

skasion posted:

Dusk is really good for a new solo dev’s first major release, and also if it’s the first new old school FPS you’ve played in a long time which it probably was for a lot of people? It’s not flawless and I think it peaks at Erebus Reactor and then tails off into gimmicks a bit in ep 3. But I had a great time with it when it came out.

I gave it a try again with HD and it’s fun. Not without some iffy fights and levels (and tbh I think I like the original grafix better) but fun. Somehow I still haven’t found all the soap.

But the peak are the gimmicks :P

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Turin Turambar posted:

But the peak are the gimmicks :P

I like some of them! The head trip level where you get very small and loop back around to the start and the one with the sky islands are fun

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Me reading several of these posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyUrtGTLJew

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
DUSK is one of those games where I recognize its influence, popularity, and craftsmanship--and I even would say I enjoyed it. But I have zero interest in returning to it, or even considering it one of my top "boomer" games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006