Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Osmosisch posted:

A summoner pure ice build with geistform worked out for me. Once you find the bird head it gets really silly. The ice creature and djinn from your starting weapon work well enough as bodyguards early game until you can start just freezing the whole map in your first turn.

neat. in the meantime i did this, which was actually a super neat build to get all the interactions going in.

I learned that effects cap out at 1,000,000 stacks at one point, also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Noice. I just learned that the other day as well via the doom spreader prestige class, whatever the name is.

Also for future reference I am not pushing cycles like many maniacs in this thread since I like a more predictable challenge instead of some enemies being random ToME-style murderlords.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Osmosisch posted:

Noice. I just learned that the other day as well via the doom spreader prestige class, whatever the name is.

Also for future reference I am not pushing cycles like many maniacs in this thread since I like a more predictable challenge instead of some enemies being random ToME-style murderlords.

One thing to note is that as you increase cycle count xp goes up too so some things feel like they open up

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

god help me i just rediscovered nethack

pathos specifically, it seems like a really convenient way to play the game!

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Just looked it up and it seems interesting, but do you have any insight into what it means by inspired by the rule set of net hack? Like is it the same gameplay with different content or what?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Also I remember there was another goon in this thread asking about alternative options for controlling games as to not hurt their hands, so I would like to report that I am having great success with playing dungeon crawl Stone soup entirely via voice commands. It took some work hacking together a profile in voice attack, but because of the auto explorer and auto attack, plus level map shortcuts, it's painless both literally and metaphorically. Plus it feels kind of fancy to chant "attack, attack, attack" like I'm compelling someone.

If anyone has voice attack and is interested in this as a control method, I'd be happy to find out a way to export and upload the profile so you don't have to do as much tinkering.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun getting back into the saddle with dungeon crawl stone soup and I used to have a lot of pessimism about the changes and streamlining- but after not playing for 6 years and coming back in without being aware of every little change I have more love for the state the game is in. If any of you are purple slime old heads I'd encourage you to give the modern game another shot.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Also I remember there was another goon in this thread asking about alternative options for controlling games as to not hurt their hands, so I would like to report that I am having great success with playing dungeon crawl Stone soup entirely via voice commands. It took some work hacking together a profile in voice attack, but because of the auto explorer and auto attack, plus level map shortcuts, it's painless both literally and metaphorically. Plus it feels kind of fancy to chant "attack, attack, attack" like I'm compelling someone.

If anyone has voice attack and is interested in this as a control method, I'd be happy to find out a way to export and upload the profile so you don't have to do as much tinkering.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun getting back into the saddle with dungeon crawl stone soup and I used to have a lot of pessimism about the changes and streamlining- but after not playing for 6 years and coming back in without being aware of every little change I have more love for the state the game is in. If any of you are purple slime old heads I'd encourage you to give the modern game another shot.

i'm super glad you found a way to make it work. dcss is a good rear end game! you should join a goon team the next time a tournament happens!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

god help me i just rediscovered nethack

I've been firing up a round of Nethack every few days now, and one of three things happen: 1) I get brutally murdered by a pack of ants my own blundering into floating eyes or something :eng99: 2) I reach Gnometown and the shops and temple are useless -> :effort: quit 3) I run into a bones pile and get distracted trying to rush-haul my new cursed stuff to a safer stash somewhere and oh wait this is just a more convoluted 1 isn't it :smith:

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Captain Foo posted:

One thing to note is that as you increase cycle count xp goes up too so some things feel like they open up

I've reached a point in Achra where so many of the builds I need to run to finish ticking off all the classes are just so painful to play, because even on fast mode it just takes foreeever for all the effects to play.

I feel like the game needs an ultra-fast mode for some summoner/proc builds to be playable. It's incredibly painful to have to hold down spacebar for 60s+ to clear each screen, cruise through the whole game then die to the king.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Achra needs to borrow the effect from Balatro where, if there are a ton of triggers, they speed up as they go along.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tea Party Crasher posted:

This is loving incredible! I love anything and everything to do with accessibility.

Also count me among the disenchanted with DCSS circa as far back as. 15 even. And I've been thinking about giving it another whirl. This might just be the nudge I needed. Thanks. Saw the thread here has been more lively than usual, too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

modern dcss is basically a turn-based arcade game. it rules

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

modern dcss is basically a turn-based arcade game. it rules

It's funny, for years people have joked about who the gently caress cares about points and high scores in games these days, but I think balatro is going to bring a lot of people back around to scores being a good motivator for players. I don't need a story I'm just here to test myself against the machine

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Card Intrigues continue with a demo for Northwind:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1476400/Northwind/

quote:

Play as a mercenary to hunt monsters, gather resources, and explore new strategies through card smelting in Northwind Town. Unlock new town upgrades and discover new formidable foes as your hazard level increases.

UNIQUE COMBAT SYSTEM
• Play cards to build up your attack power and damage your enemies by overpowering them.
• Stack your mana to level up your mercenary and equip them with powerful equipment.

SPEND RESOURCES TO CRAFT YOUR SYNERGY
• Card Smelting: Discover new cards from a variety of combinations.
• Card Enhancement: Alter or add a new ability to your current cards.
• Card Forging: Duplicate cards to strengthen your combo or use them as smelting materials.

ROGUELITE AND DIFFICULTY LEVELS
• Unlock new town services and discover new card blueprints as you progress.
• Encounter new monsters and face new challenges as you increase your hazard level.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rappaport posted:

I've been firing up a round of Nethack every few days now, and one of three things happen: 1) I get brutally murdered by a pack of ants my own blundering into floating eyes or something :eng99: 2) I reach Gnometown and the shops and temple are useless -> :effort: quit 3) I run into a bones pile and get distracted trying to rush-haul my new cursed stuff to a safer stash somewhere and oh wait this is just a more convoluted 1 isn't it :smith:

today in pathos i stepped on an alarm trap and easily murdered the monsters that rolled up. so i stepped on it again. more jerks got in my face so i punched them all in theirs. a grinding spot! i did this for a bit until wiping out a bunch of kobolds, one of which dropped two enchantment scrolls. lucky me! i immediately put them both on the gloves that i use for punching. they promptly exploded.

it's fine though. really, it's fine, i picked up another pair of gloves earlier, maybe i could slip those on and they'd turn out to be somethYOU EQUIPPED GLOVES OF FUMBLING

this game rules lmao

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
BOSS lives anew with a v3.0 incarnation:

https://80.style/#/plunderbunny/boss/introduction

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo I remember playing MacBOSS back in the 90's. I never made it very far, but it was fairly clear that it was a Moria/Angband-style roguelike with a ton of pop culture and sci-fi references. I'm shocked to see it be resurrected something like 30 years later.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Wow I've never heard of this before. Does it have auto explorer and auto attack? Because if so I'd be able to adapt it to my voice command setup for DCSS

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Holy poo poo I remember playing MacBOSS back in the 90's. I never made it very far, but it was fairly clear that it was a Moria/Angband-style roguelike with a ton of pop culture and sci-fi references. I'm shocked to see it be resurrected something like 30 years later.

This may be due to a prior semi-resurrection that was v2.5 back in...2012'ish, as per the RogueBasin footnote.

Hell, now we need PRIME to revive..

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

I've been glued to Achra, but my long nightmare is finally over at least until the dev releases another ten gods next week.

Captain Foo posted:

Achra

Has anyone made Yu work? Speed limited to 5 seems crippling.

Yeah, Yu's tricky, at the high cycles the options I've found workable are basically summoning and/or a tank build that just kills things passively - the first is pretty self-explanatory but for the second you really need to abuse the effect-stacking Yu gives you to get an unbeatable brick of Poise stacks going.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
One thing that still confuses me about Achra - how long does pressing the Wait key actually make you wait? I've been assuming the same time as taking a step, but I swear that sometimes I press the wait key and a ton of things happen like enemies suddenly running up and killing me, and it feels like I'm missing something.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

One thing that still confuses me about Achra - how long does pressing the Wait key actually make you wait? I've been assuming the same time as taking a step, but I swear that sometimes I press the wait key and a ton of things happen like enemies suddenly running up and killing me, and it feels like I'm missing something.

everything you do in achra takes the same amount of time, which is based on your speed stat. The higher your speed stat, the more often you get to do things. Stand still-based characters tend to be strength or willpower focused, and neither of those stats buff your speed, so unless you go out of your way to level dex or take speed boosting equipment or abilities those characters are probably not very fast. Wearing inflexible armour in particular absolutely tanks your speed to nothing, and most characters don't have good base speed to begin with. A character that hasn't done anything to increase their speed is gonna have like, maybe 10 speed. Some later game enemies have like, 300 speed. How often you get to act based on your speed is a mostly linear scale(speed values above a certain point get cut in half but there's no diminishing returns otherwise), so an enemy with 30 times as much speed as you is gonna be taking at least 15 turns for every turn you take. For slow, fragile characters "i pressed one button and an enemy sprinted across the map and unscrewed my head instantly" is a very normal occurrence on higher cycles.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

FYI that's mostly accurate, but Speed's effect on how quickly both you and enemies take turns actually cuts off completely at 100 - after that it just adds very slightly to your Hit. Stacking Speed (Charge/Dex/etc.) has some pretty severe diminishing returns once you max it out.

Also, the stats enemies get cycle bonuses to vary based on enemy type (you can see the specific +cycle stats in the enemy descriptions), so at higher cycles when you run into an enemy that gets +Speed they can be real meatgrinders if you're not ready for them, particularly early in a run when your own Speed (or defenses to compensate) is probably low.

E: Also enemies just naturally have different base Speed.

Really, if I had to pick one criticism of Achra, it's that it really needs to display enemy stats better - understanding the various enemy abilities is vital, but you can't see them without clicking through to the detailed enemy descriptions, none of them are represented in an easy-to-see way by the graphics, and the combat log gets so busy it can be hard-to-impossible to tell why exactly you just ate total poo poo out of nowhere.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 20, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tulul posted:

FYI that's mostly accurate, but Speed's effect on how quickly both you and enemies take turns actually cuts off completely at 100

oh it does say that now, when did that get changed? It absolutely used to not cut off, ever, which is why all of my turbo-speed Dust runs would end when my 500 speed guy got lapped by a preta with 1500 speed

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

oh it does say that now, when did that get changed? It absolutely used to not cut off, ever, which is why all of my turbo-speed Dust runs would end when my 500 speed guy got lapped by a preta with 1500 speed

Huh, no idea, I'm pretty sure it's been that way since I started playing, about a month, but I could be mistaken, a lot of other stuff has gotten patched

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in a month of achra development time the dev will have added like 30 new classes/prestiges/gods/skills, subtracted 2 things because they weren't working out in an intended way, and retooled roughly half the equipment and skills in some form

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

victrix posted:

I legitimately thought it was an edutainment math game when I first saw it

tbh thats pretty much the best way to describe it imo except that it's pretty fun. Sure, roguelike, deckbuilder etc etc but at it's core you're basically solving grid-based math puzzles

in a more proper actual roguelike vein Jupiter Hell was on sale for :10bux: and it's been a lot of fun. I wish they had a little more music variety and it might be a little mechanically shallow for some roguelike enjoyers, but I really like the relative fast pace & action. If it was priced higher idk, but at $10-15 bucks it feels worth

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Unexpected revivals continue as Mysterious Castle, one of the very few party based affairs, has livened back up after Some-Many Years, depending, for both iOS and Browser:

https://www.mysterious-castle.com/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tulul posted:

Huh, no idea, I'm pretty sure it's been that way since I started playing, about a month, but I could be mistaken, a lot of other stuff has gotten patched

I think it’s been that way since around when pretas got removed/reworked

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Big update and iOS/Steam release for my dice game! It's approximately as roguelike as "Slay the Spire".

https://tann.fun/games/dice/
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Ready and primed to shill it to my friends

By the way, does this steam release have keyboard controls by any chance? Because I already have it on my phone but if I could play it on something non-touch screen and without a mouse that would 100% make it worth buying again for me

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

It's mostly playable with keyboard-only. Certain things like equipping items and starting the game need the mouse though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I always feel the need to give props to the developers that include the option to skip the metaprogression.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Definitely going to rebuy this, congrats on the release, Tann. The android version is the only phone game I play.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack Trades posted:

I always feel the need to give props to the developers that include the option to skip the metaprogression.

:yeah: it's also nice being able to take it back and uncheck it later without having to start over completely

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Tann posted:

Big update and iOS/Steam release for my dice game! It's approximately as roguelike as "Slay the Spire".

Everyone in this thread buy this ASAP

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i had already bought it and now IMA BUY IT AGAIN ON STEAM HELL YEAH BROTHER

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Oh, is there any way to transfer save progress from Android to steam and vice versa?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Schurik posted:

Oh, is there any way to transfer save progress from Android to steam and vice versa?

You can transfer achievements/unlocks via device clipboard in ledger-unlocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tann posted:

hell yeah I've been waiting for an iOS version to play on my iPad. Insta-buy!