Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The stone tarot cards were decent on a Ride the Bus/Square Joker/High Card run I had, since I could use them to eliminate the face cards I would never want to play anyway.

The no face cards deck has become my favorite one. So much easier to sculpt for whatever hand combo I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mesadoram posted:

I feel like stone cards would work great on a high card build.

They're best in builds that want to play a lot of hands, but don't want to play a lot of cards in those hands. Stuff like Square Joker, Half-Joker, Green Joker, etc.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

MJeff posted:

Oh boy, a legendary Joker, I wonder which one will show u--

:thunk:

Yorick was my first legendary AND my first win.
I got it after the small blind before a Needle and knew I was a few cards too far to activate it before the doom hand.
I couldn't possibly beat that bastard without a full complement of Jokers but there was a Luchador in the shop, BUT that meant facing the big blind with just three scoring jokers.
I wasn't going to just relinquish my first legendary so I bit the bullett and beat the blind by a couple hundred chips after taking way too long obsessing over every optimal move.

The Luchador utterly curbstomped the Needle, it was glorious.
The prize was mine, and with it, the road to the first win.

Funny thing about the Needle, its low multiplier is apparently baked in, so, while the Wall gets reduced to a normal level because having a huge score is its power, the Needle has the just one hand removed but the chip requirement remains extremely low.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 20, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugggh I got four polychrome jokers on a two pair build using the anaglyph deck that was about to go to the moon

Then I forgot I used the ante down voucher and ran out of hands immediately after getting them and lost because I didn't build the mult up yet :negative:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Found this channel and if you like the smooth and explanatory type of videos instead of the chipmunk on meth videos, this is a good guy is still turn him up to 1.25 speed

Balatro University
36 jokers and high card

In the last two parts, he was looking and taking every skip copy and waiting until the next joker is negative skip.

This video starts right after he finally finds the negative skip.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBA Starblade posted:

Ugggh I got four polychrome jokers on a two pair build using the anaglyph deck that was about to go to the moon

Then I forgot I used the ante down voucher and ran out of hands immediately after getting them and lost because I didn't build the mult up yet :negative:

What’s the value of the ante-down voucher? Don’t you want to get to 8 for the win?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the value of the ante-down voucher? Don’t you want to get to 8 for the win?

It gives you time to build up cards that generate on plays, or get extra tags, etc. It drops the chip requirement to the last ante to do so so you basically go again. I don't like it late unless you're doomed and need more time to squeak to that ante 8 win but early it's valuable for building momentum

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBA Starblade posted:

It gives you time to build up cards that generate on plays, or get extra tags, etc. I don't like it late but early it's valuable for building momentum

ah, ok, that makes sense—thank you!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I guess in theory you can use ante down to buy another ante's worth of time to try to build up a strategy/synergy etc, but yeah the hand penalty makes it a bit of a tradeoff.

I suppose you could also use it to buy more time to try to unlock stuff as well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PostNouveau posted:

I believe the stone enhancement does not wipe out the rank and suit of the card underneath it, because I swear I've had vampire take the stone off a card to reveal a normal card underneath.

The card underneath still scores but doesn’t change the hand which is funny. A 2 and two stone 2s played with vampire gives you a High Card hand consisting of three scored 2s for example.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RBA Starblade posted:

It gives you time to build up cards that generate on plays, or get extra tags, etc. It drops the chip requirement to the last ante to do so so you basically go again. I don't like it late unless you're doomed and need more time to squeak to that ante 8 win but early it's valuable for building momentum
I think it's in general better late because the -10 cost isnt as meaningful/only sets you back 1 or fewer antes instead of multiple antes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 20, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The fun thing about -1 ante is on the first ante, it'll take you to ante 0, and on ante 9 it'll take you back to ante 8 so you'll have to do a big boss again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give me a negative tag please I have like eight double tags

e: It never did lol I hate you too anaglyph

War Wizard posted:

The fun thing about -1 ante is on the first ante, it'll take you to ante 0, and on ante 9 it'll take you back to ante 8 so you'll have to do a big boss again.

If you beat it once you can beat it again :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 20, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just beat the Jokerless challenge - it's actually kind of fun once you get the hang of it. :toot:

RBA Starblade posted:

Give me a negative tag please I have like eight double tags

e: It never did lol I hate you too anaglyph

Yeah, Anaglyph runs pretty much live or die on whether you get that sweet, sweet Negative tag.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DaveWoo posted:

Just beat the Jokerless challenge - it's actually kind of fun once you get the hang of it. :toot:

Yeah, Anaglyph runs pretty much live or die on whether you get that sweet, sweet Negative tag.

I got to ante 11 anyway but man, that's frustrating to sit on lmao

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I think it's in general better late because the -10 cost isnt as meaningful/only sets you back 1 or fewer antes instead of multiple antes.

Also, -1 hand/round is $1 less per round, which hurts pretty badly when you're stuck with it all game.

Having 1 less hand to play per round also hurts less when you've got your build assembled and are more likely to be able to clear the blind cleanly in one big hand instead of chipping away at it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Getting a whole extra ante to try and find a joker that will let you transition to ante 11/12 is very valuable

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Straight Flush really should be worth a lot more than it is. Pretty easy to copy a bunch of aces and get flush five online. You are never this comfortable going for straights even with the joker allowing straight gaps. Royal Flush really should be the top scoring hand in terms of hand rarity.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 21, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I just did a run where I picked up the "gain $5 when you discard 3 face cards" joker along with the "all cards count as face cards" joker, and I have to say, that is a ridiculous amount of money generation for the early game.

(And then I picked up Ride the Bus and was confused as to why it wasn't working lol)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mesadoram posted:

I feel like stone cards would work great on a high card build.

You're not wrong.
Posted this earlier, but you know what works even better?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

parthenocarpy posted:

Straight Flush really should be worth a lot more than it is. Pretty easy to copy a bunch of aces and get flush five online. You are never this comfortable going for straights even with the joker allowing straight gaps. Royal Flush really should be the top scoring hand in terms of hand rarity.

Straight flush sucks because straights suck to build. It's not that you need Shortcut or Four Fingers either. Really need some kind of enhancement to wild card the numbers or something like it. Half of the tarots revolve around duplicating cards or making suits the same but none of them help with making straights except maybe Strength.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

yeah no brainer in future DLC to add a "hi, I'm all numbers" and/or a "hi, I'm all faces" card enhancement

honestly it might not even break the game to just make wild cards any suit/any value, the opposite of a stone. it's by far the weakest enhancement. maybe balance it by losing all chip value. I haven't thought this through.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 21, 2024

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
was reading the intro posts on the first page and the one about joker order is interesting, specifically the thing about putting (+) mults to the left of (x) mults, which makes sense logically. however I've found that they don't really seem to behave consistently or logically. one of the funniest examples was I got a boss blind that had a "shuffles and flips jokers" thing on it so I couldn't see what order they were in, and it ended up giving me way higher scores than the order I had them in which I thought was maxing them out. the game is brilliant but trying to work out some of the order of operations stuff so that you get the best results is frustrating, and I wish it gave you hints or did it automatically.

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 21, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Done my fifth run on the anaglyph deck up to ante 10 waiting for a tag to double your money tag to get the $400 achievement and it STILL hasn't turned up! I got bored on one and gave myself like 7 negative jokers tho, and immediately lost

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Aipsh posted:

Done my fifth run on the anaglyph deck up to ante 10 waiting for a tag to double your money tag to get the $400 achievement and it STILL hasn't turned up! I got bored on one and gave myself like 7 negative jokers tho, and immediately lost

just last night i made it to ante 11 with all my tags unused when i finally lost. i was waiting for a negative joker tag but accidentally made a pair deck that kicked rear end.

i had the joker that gets xMULT when you add a card to your deck, and also the joker that adds a random special card to your deck every round. then got the dna joker at some point which let me add two cards every round, then switch position to copy the xMULT card that was up to about 12x.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

was reading the intro posts on the first page and the one about joker order is interesting, specifically the thing about putting (+) mults to the left of (x) mults, which makes sense logically. however I've found that they don't really seem to behave consistently or logically. one of the funniest examples was I got a boss blind that had a "shuffles and flips jokers" thing on it so I couldn't see what order they were in, and it ended up giving me way higher scores than the order I had them in which I thought was maxing them out. the game is brilliant but trying to work out some of the order of operations stuff so that you get the best results is frustrating, and I wish it gave you hints or did it automatically.

the “played cards do x” happens before the joker gives multiplier

so for example: one of the suit jokers will add when the cards are scored, then reroll joker will run as the jokers go left to right

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

There should be joker cards in your hand that are literally wild suit and rank.

Like what are we even doin’ here folks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wild rank would be kinda hard to implement because it would probably just default to the highest base scoring hand it can make which might not be what you want your hand to score as.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine it could also start to get quite complex for the game to score a hand with multiple rank wildcards. For the suit wildcards you're only checking for flushes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was thinking about that. At the moment 5 wild suit cards have 625 different suit permutations so you could check them all to see which ends up highest in the score table pretty easily, whereas 5 wild rank cards would have 300,000 permutations. You can get around this a little but by hardcoding 5 wild ranks to 5 of a kind bringing the heaviest computation to 4 wild ranks, which is still >20,000 permutations. The vast majority of the time the 4 wild ranks' highest hand would be 5 of a kind with the fifth card but you'd have to add special checks for things like stone cards and only playing 4 cards. Basically it's theoretically doable but there are a lot of advantages to being able to brute force compute every hand as thats compatible no matter what jokers and craziness get added to the game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Wild rank would be kinda hard to implement because it would probably just default to the highest base scoring hand it can make which might not be what you want your hand to score as.

You already run into this with flushes, but it's usually not super relevant. It does mean that making wilds count as any number wouldn't really be a solution for straights having disproportionate risk/reward since once you had more than a couple you would quickly blow past straights into flush 5s.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

just last night i made it to ante 11 with all my tags unused when i finally lost. i was waiting for a negative joker tag but accidentally made a pair deck that kicked rear end.

i had the joker that gets xMULT when you add a card to your deck, and also the joker that adds a random special card to your deck every round. then got the dna joker at some point which let me add two cards every round, then switch position to copy the xMULT card that was up to about 12x.

I had this same combo sans DNA and it's still cracked as all hell. Was a bit awkward as I was running an aces deck but by the time my aces had been diluted enough to make pulling them harder, my xmult was so high it didn't make a difference. Purple seals up the wazzoo, steel cards everywhere, what a run.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

cerious posted:

Straight flush sucks because straights suck to build. It's not that you need Shortcut or Four Fingers either. Really need some kind of enhancement to wild card the numbers or something like it. Half of the tarots revolve around duplicating cards or making suits the same but none of them help with making straights except maybe Strength.

...which is exactly my point? Straights are hard to build, straight flushes even harder, and royal flushes the hardest. So royal flush should be the highest scoring hand, not five flush which is stupidly easy to accomplish

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
But it's harder to get a flush five in real poker

:agesilaus:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thinking about it while brute forcing it would be hard you could probably adjust the score checker to account for numerical wildcards fairly easily. Like if you have x wildcards and 5-x non-wildcards then all you have to do (barring making sure to treat Ace as both 1 and 14) to check for a straight is to make sure that the non-wildcards 1) are all different and 2) the highest card is a maximum of 4 greater than the lowest card. And any given set can just be upgraded by one rank for each wildcard you have (IE High Card -> Pair -> Three -> Four -> Five) while 2 Pair becomes a Full House.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 21, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Fully wild wild cards are a solved problem in actual video poker, as any Deuces Wild player could attest to. :v:

The main problem is as described; it's hard to target a specific hand, which is important in this game, and you'd quickly devolve into trying to score Five Wilds

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harold Fjord posted:

But it's harder to get a flush five in real poker

:agesilaus:

It depends on how quickly you want to get your rear end kicked

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Thinking about it while brute forcing it would be hard you could probably adjust the score checker to account for numerical wildcards fairly easily. Like if you have x wildcards and 5-x non-wildcards then all you have to do (barring making sure to treat Ace as both 1 and 14) to check for a straight is to make sure that the non-wildcards 1) are all different and 2) the highest card is a maximum of 4 greater than the lowest card. And any given set can just be upgraded by one rank for each wildcard you have (IE High Card -> Pair -> Three -> Four -> Five) while 2 Pair becomes a Full House.
The issue is now you have to change the check to work with that straight gap card and four fingers, and change it again if another straight helper is added in an expansion. It's all doable it's just way more fragile than brute force.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Raymond T. Racing posted:

the “played cards do x” happens before the joker gives multiplier

so for example: one of the suit jokers will add when the cards are scored, then reroll joker will run as the jokers go left to right

yeah I understand that part

what I'm saying is I had a layout of 5-6 jokers set up to consistently generate about $80-100k with my best hand. when I got to the blind that shuffled and flipped them so I couldn't see what order they were in they in, I was worried it wouldn't work anymore but instead it generated 300k and won me the blind in one hand. I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything significantly different happening in the cards themselves that would have accounted for that (no Steel cards, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I truly want more weird card types and things that can happen to the cards. A # of diamonds that counts as every number? Ok. An ace of a suit type of suit??? Now we’re talking.