Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Doing my research into AoS, it does seem like Stormcast went through significant changes each edition to make them more interesting and not just 'fantasy space marines', the miniature quality and overall creativitiy really made huge strides with each edition and the lore was significantly spruced up as well, like for example with their dragon riding and panthers and whatnot. I wonder what they'll do with them in 4th. I'm slowly coming around to them as being interesting rather than just a space marine knock-off.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Doing my research into AoS, it does seem like Stormcast went through significant changes each edition to make them more interesting and not just 'fantasy space marines', the miniature quality and overall creativitiy really made huge strides with each edition and the lore was significantly spruced up as well, like for example with their dragon riding and panthers and whatnot. I wonder what they'll do with them in 4th. I'm slowly coming around to them as being interesting rather than just a space marine knock-off.

Supposedly the rumors are Sigmar was lying in some way about them being able to be reborn indefinitely and some of them are starting to degenerate. So there'll be some berserker ragey types, some flagellant ones who're starting to break and think it's because they aren't faithful enough and then potentially a dreadnought equivalent where ones spirit has been put in a big machine. Again all rumors, just what I've been hearing. Not sure if that'd help or hinder your perception of them as Space Marine knock offs though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Doesn't help much if you make a Black Company version of Stormcast complete with Ionus being the Astaroth analog.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

as long as they get more weird pets

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“More weird little guys” seems to be a consistent thing for AoS the past few months, so

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember when they made the vanguard chamber of stormcast and followed that up with vanguard primaris marines?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

“More weird little guys” seems to be a consistent thing for AoS the past few months, so

Skaven or Chorfs?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lostconfused posted:

Skaven or Chorfs?

I'm specifically thinking about the little marginalia guys from the Wildercorps Hunters box.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm specifically thinking about the little marginalia guys from the Wildercorps Hunters box.

They're called Gargoylians and just kinda pop up around the Cities of Sigmar cities. They're supposedly just attracted to the faith of Sigmarites and just kinda appear in their settlements and follow them around. There's a bunch of weirdos in the CoS boxes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ravendas posted:

They're called Gargoylians and just kinda pop up around the Cities of Sigmar cities. They're supposedly just attracted to the faith of Sigmarites and just kinda appear in their settlements and follow them around. There's a bunch of weirdos in the CoS boxes.

Im a big fan of thr unicorn shell with two little legs

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Every faction deserves weird little guys

We cannot allow a weird little guy gap

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I feel like the Death factions in particular have a severe lack of weird little guys. Hopefully OBR can craft some to accompany the tiger

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

I feel like the Death factions in particular have a severe lack of weird little guys. Hopefully OBR

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

A little guy that's literally the dick of a bigger guy what more do you want.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

he's an integral part of a big weird guy and thus discounted from being a weird little guy

I can MAYBE accept Olynder's bridesmaids because they're so enthusiastic about carrying stuff

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's also Anasta Malkorian with her pet baby terrorgeist.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How soon we forget the ghost who doots mockingly at Kurdoss

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

How soon we forget the ghost who doots mockingly at Kurdoss

The two guys with Kurdoss hate him, and constantly tell everyone how much he sucks rear end

I'm not even joking, that's canon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is Karl alive? Even a little bit?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Potato Salad posted:

Is Karl alive? Even a little bit?

He might be Celestant Prime. The current character that wields the titular Warhammer.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 20, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Who's explicitly surviving, anyway?

I'm not really clear on how Archie and the chief dead guys made it over beyond mumbling something about their patron deities' influence.

Gotrek walked through a realm gate, without realizing it. Felix might be a SCE, but he's in the same boat as Karl Franz and Settra where they'll never say for sure.

The Great Horned Rat explicitly saved Thanquol for "get a load of this guy" purposes, which is why Thanquol is the best Warhammer character.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Gotrek walked through a realm gate, without realizing it. Felix might be a SCE, but he's in the same boat as Karl Franz and Settra where they'll never say for sure.

Going by the ending of the second Gotrek audio drama I think it's more implied that Felix is just dead. Because that plotpoint, while present in the audio dramas, is absent from the books themselves. Granted, I've only managed to read Ghoulslayer so far so that might change.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He might be Celestant Prime. The current character that wields the titular Warhammer.

I'm so annoyed by the fact that in the game Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, the titular Warhammer, as famously wielded by Sigmar, the guy in the name of the game, has this statline:

Oh cool, this thing kills on average two and a half Chaos Warriors per turn. That's.... neat, I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

I'm so annoyed by the fact that in the game Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, the titular Warhammer, as famously wielded by Sigmar, the guy in the name of the game, has this statline:

Oh cool, this thing kills on average two and a half Chaos Warriors per turn. That's.... neat, I guess.

The Hammer gets charged the longer Prime stays off the board. So if you brought him in like say turn 3 He would have seven attacks instead. Still could be a bit stronger agreed.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

It's annoying that you have to keep one of the coolest minis outside the game just to do something. Even the Beast of Chaos can shoot while being in reserve, I think.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Talas posted:

It's annoying that you have to keep one of the coolest minis outside the game just to do something. Even the Beast of Chaos can shoot while being in reserve, I think.

It's a neat idea. He stays up in the sky charging up like Goku before crashing to the ground at the eleventh hour and whooping everyone's rear end and saving the day.

He's just kinda bad at it.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

I think some of the older Blades of Khorne stuff had this problem as well. 2nd Edition Khorgus Khul, Warlord of the legendary Goretide, would get completely stonewalled by a unit of Clanrats, it was completely embarrassing, and I was the Skaven player.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

WHO'S EXCITED?!

RATS IN 12 HOURS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEatoF5ys08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpFQ0-RZZVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqLKGJZ9lI

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 20, 2024

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blessed are the rodents

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cooked Auto posted:

Going by the ending of the second Gotrek audio drama I think it's more implied that Felix is just dead. Because that plotpoint, while present in the audio dramas, is absent from the books themselves. Granted, I've only managed to read Ghoulslayer so far so that might change.

This is true, and it is also true that there's an entire subfaction of Stormcast who are heroes of ancient times and implied to be All Your Favorites from the Old World, We Promise We Didn't Permanently Kill Your Personal Favorite, so maybe he's still out there.

Woulda been okay with Archaon staying in the dust bin of games past, tbf.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

grassy gnoll posted:

Who's explicitly surviving, anyway?

I choose to believe that Nakai is presently walking over from the Old World, it's just going to take him a while :colbert:.

Why yes, I did get into Warhammer via Total War, why do you ask.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

This is true, and it is also true that there's an entire subfaction of Stormcast who are heroes of ancient times and implied to be All Your Favorites from the Old World, We Promise We Didn't Permanently Kill Your Personal Favorite, so maybe he's still out there.

Yeah, like Settrus.

Who sadly got punked by Mannfred. :(

Even if it feels like they've been moving further and further away from that as the editions progress. But that might change with 4e for all we know.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Looking at art of warhammer fantasy i really prefer sigmar looking like conan the barbarian than how he currently looks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Chaos owns the conan aesthetic now, please pick up the new army box on the right.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Woulda been okay with Archaon staying in the dust bin of games past, tbf.

Idk i am happy with Archaon being the badass mary sue.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It'd just be even better if they had just used a slightly updated version of his old model, since it's still very :krad: and probably one of the best classic models they've done.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Al-Saqr posted:

Looking at art of warhammer fantasy i really prefer sigmar looking like conan the barbarian than how he currently looks.

The concept art someone posted earlier looks more like Chaos Warriors But Good which is more appealing to me than the 1.0 stormcast which look like fantasy space marines designed for 4:3 and stretched to widescreen.

Some of the older stormcast sculpts are awesome though, I really like the evocators on celestial dracolines, amazing poses.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If a Chaos character doesn't win they're an "armless failure" and when they win they're a "Mary sue" or "The writer's pet faction"

Starting to think some people just don't like Chaos

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

To be fair Archeon is the writers pet character, the writer being Be'lakor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Archaon has spent pretty much the entire edition getting kicked in the dick and having his lunch stolen, honestly. It’s pretty funny, he’s so frustrated and is completely awful at any job that cannot be solved by being terrifyingly good at fighting, which is most of his current problems because he already solved the ones you can solve via direct violence.