Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

boz posted:

It's not bound to sprint though

I MEANT CLIMB the point stands, theres ALREADY a button for it and binding climb and sprint to the same button makes way more sense than sprint and jetpack ignition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I didn't know anyone actually used the climb button when you can just hold sprint

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

I didn't know anyone actually used the climb button when you can just hold sprint

Yeah, rebinding spacebar from climb to dive was pretty immediate. No reason at all for a separate climb button. Now I need to stop opening my strategem menu when I want to crouch, but I'll live.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LazyMaybe posted:

I've started using the climb button and it's way easier to climb rocks and terrain much more consistently. I was getting stuck on stuff constantly when just using sprint

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

J posted:

A few pages back someone had a really helpful post about how patrols and enemy spawns work. I've sometimes ended up in games where there are 1 or 2 players who seem to know what they are doing off soloing objectives, and I don't really know what I should be doing in the meantime. I don't know how to solo poo poo, and trying to keep up with the solos has felt not very useful. I don't have that one scout armor yet with the highest speed rating on it. They're basically speedrunning the objectives and hitting da bricks. So either I end up in a spot with the other players where we just die and reinforce each other in the same hopeless area, or we all die and one of the solos reinforces us as they are running away and we kinda land in the middle of all the poo poo that was chasing them. But going by that previous post I mentioned, generating bug breaches or dropships in the middle of nowhere is actually useful? I'm just unsure as to what to do in these situations.

I don't think any of them would complain about you following them to help. If you're shooting the things trying to attack them that's helping.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

wow so I got attacked by those flying bugs all of a sudden, very scary and unnerving

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mesadoram posted:

:mods:

How's the gas bomb? On paper it looks like a good area of denial, but I have a feeling it usually backfires.

It is actually a very very good stratagem for dropping on a bug breach as soon as the smoke comes up. It covers a large area and lingers, so while it won't outright kill them all like a lucky bomb can, it will weaken pretty much everything in the initial spawn.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

You can change the context for climb and sprint but with the jetpack I found that it didn't end up working like you'd think. Like I wanted sprint to be tap, and climb to be like "long hold" but I found that jetpack would just go off immediately anyways. I couldn't find any combination of those (like hold for sprint, double tap for climb for example) that gave me what i wanted, which is to be able to sprint then use jetpack on demand instead of "at a random time".

They really should put it on the backpack button.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

people don't need another reason to get salty

I'm still enjoying this game with friends, but some of them get mad about getting slowed, Helldivers having to complete an action or they get interrupted (get up! use your stim!) and it bums me out. You're supposed to die.

Fairly, the fact that the stim sound plays without going off is -super- obnoxious when hunters are on your rear end.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ihmemies posted:

How do I find more greens. Maps have 20+ and we manage to extract like with only 5. I have more than enough orange and pink samples. Where are all the greens located at, how to find them?

Find the radar station to show all map POI. Every diamond POI with square brackets has samples still. When you collect them the POI will not have square brackets.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mesadoram posted:

:mods:

How's the gas bomb? On paper it looks like a good area of denial, but I have a feeling it usually backfires.

I throw it at the bug breach and rack up a ton of kills as it lingers while they pop out. 70sec cooldown means it's basically available for every bug breach, if you're lucky.

Definitely worth it to try and see if you like it.

I did have a friend die in it. I told him to be careful of the green fog, but the world fog was kind of intermixed in it and he couldn't see a clear boundary. He died real quick.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Risky Bisquick posted:

Find the radar station to show all map POI. Every diamond POI with square brackets has samples still. When you collect them the POI will not have square brackets.

This is mostly correct: sometimes the diamond will show there's something to find at a POI like a Hellbomb, when there's actually nothing there.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Dropped within 75m of shrieker nest and they promptly flew over and killed two of us instantly (before my backpack even landed). One guy got into his mech and the other guy then also died. Mech was able to take out the nest and shriekers and then the pilot called us back in.

Then the breach/heavies started showing up and I got a call from work so I dipped out. What a fun start to a mission.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Away all Goats posted:

I've started using the climb button and it's way easier to climb rocks and terrain much more consistently. I was getting stuck on stuff constantly when just using sprint

Yeah, this. The rock sides that surround platforms and such kinda require you to use the climb button

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Seedge posted:

This is mostly correct: sometimes the diamond will show there's something to find at a POI like a Hellbomb, when there's actually nothing there.

Also don’t sleep on this knowledge. Knowing where hellbombs are is like having a 5th stratagem slot, you can kite the alarms into them for easy 50-70 kills or kill 3 bile titans at once.

Occasionally you will also get that abandoned ammo dump POI which can’t be cleared until you collect all the ammo

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ravendas posted:

I throw it at the bug breach and rack up a ton of kills as it lingers while they pop out. 70sec cooldown means it's basically available for every bug breach, if you're lucky.

Definitely worth it to try and see if you like it.

I did have a friend die in it. I told him to be careful of the green fog, but the world fog was kind of intermixed in it and he couldn't see a clear boundary. He died real quick.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It is actually a very very good stratagem for dropping on a bug breach as soon as the smoke comes up. It covers a large area and lingers, so while it won't outright kill them all like a lucky bomb can, it will weaken pretty much everything in the initial spawn.

:unsmith: Thank ya! Next time I am on I will buy it and give it a whirl.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

J posted:

A few pages back someone had a really helpful post about how patrols and enemy spawns work. I've sometimes ended up in games where there are 1 or 2 players who seem to know what they are doing off soloing objectives, and I don't really know what I should be doing in the meantime. I don't know how to solo poo poo, and trying to keep up with the solos has felt not very useful. I don't have that one scout armor yet with the highest speed rating on it. They're basically speedrunning the objectives and hitting da bricks. So either I end up in a spot with the other players where we just die and reinforce each other in the same hopeless area, or we all die and one of the solos reinforces us as they are running away and we kinda land in the middle of all the poo poo that was chasing them. But going by that previous post I mentioned, generating bug breaches or dropships in the middle of nowhere is actually useful? I'm just unsure as to what to do in these situations.

its a sort of negative feedback loop. Helldivers isn't really meant for people to split off like that. There's a global cooldown on bot drops/breaches, and if you're getting them all than the roamers aren't - which makes life easy for them. Unfortunately, you then have less players than the game really intends for you to have for dealing with breaches. Thus its far more likely for you to get overwhelmed. You can't force people to stay grouped up, so you can only adapt.

High difficulty helldivers is intended to force you to grapple with the sunk cost fallacy. It's better to retreat than to lose 15 reinforcements trying to get your guns back.

In the first game it was literally impossible to split off, so it wasn't an issue. People who split off in HD2 don't get a totally free ride - they do get their own patrol spawns - but with a little practice its usually not difficult for them to roam successfully. They only need to dodge the patrols and deal with the relative moderate POI/objective garrisons. Only tactical objectives like Stalker nests really makes life difficult for roamers.

On a side note, the prenerf shield generator/railgun loadouts were extremely good at that sort of roaming. The shield made it basically impossible to get pinned down and the railgun could easily knock out the handful of heavies you had to deal with. I've come to believe that that is why so many players complained so vigorously about the game being impossible to play after the nerfs - they were coasting around solo in ways that were heavily reliant on an OP loadout.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 20, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

On a side note, the prenerf shield generator/railgun loadouts were extremely good at that sort of roaming. The shield made it basically impossible to get pinned down and the railgun could easily knock out the handful of heavies you had to deal with. I've come to believe that that is why so many players complained so vigorously about the game being impossible to play after the nerfs - they were coasting around solo in ways that were heavily reliant on an OP loadout.
The shield still does that, though. It barely got nerfed at all considering it still completely ignores flinching/slows/ragdolls when active.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

its a sort of negative feedback loop. Helldivers isn't really meant for people to split off like that. There's a global cooldown on bot drops/breaches, and if you're getting them all than the roamers aren't - which makes life easy for them. Unfortunately, you then have less players than the game really intends for you to have for dealing with breaches. Thus its far more likely for you to get overwhelmed. You can't force people to stay grouped up, so you can only adapt.

High difficulty helldivers is intended to force you to grapple with the sunk cost fallacy. It's better to retreat than to lose 15 reinforcements trying to get your guns back.

In the first game it was literally impossible to split off, so it wasn't an issue. People who split off in HD2 don't get a totally free ride - they do get their own patrol spawns - but with a little practice its usually not difficult for them to roam successfully. They only need to dodge the patrols and deal with the relative moderate POI/objective garrisons. Only tactical objectives like Stalker nests really makes life difficult for roamers.

At least for bugs, my "scout/rambo/rear end in a top hat" loadout is Engineering Kit Light armor, Airstrike/500kg/Laser Dog/Arc Thrower, with the Scythe/Senator/Frags. I'm not sure if it's better to use the machine pistol, or contact explosives, but I use grenades more for closing out bug holes, and having the fuse helps ensure the explosion closes the hole. This has carried me through 7 difficulty with very few issues, and a few 8s. I haven't attempted any 9's in a serious fashion.

While it does take a bit longer to kill charges, and you have to spend some time killing them vs. the old railgun, the arc thrower is an absolute monster in clearing out packs. With a little bit of time and distance, I can clear out entire areas and the bug nest call in and walk away with nothing other than a ~30-40 kill streak notification. You're also very ammo efficient as well, which is good on the scout role, as you really shouldn't be calling in supplies off by your lonesome.

Maybe there is a tremendous difference between the 530 and 550 speed, but I don't find it to be that difficult to escape from bugs when poo poo starts getting too brutal. Maybe it's different on difficulty 9 as well.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Playing the top difficulties is a lot of fun specifically for enemy spawns justifying bringing the 380mm orbital bombardment stratagem and dropping it on a base or a reinforcement chain.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

johnny park posted:

710 is also just OIL upside-down and backwards lol

Ah, like that dnL campaign 7up had way back when

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Most likely since it's also a console game they probably figured out the bindings for controller first.

And since controllers have less buttons they had to double up on some.

But yeah it's weird that there are two different backpack activation buttons. Weirdly enough the controller's backpack button is down on the dpad (for the ammo supply pack).

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Patrol spawns are definitely fixed hooray.

PS5 load out bug still exists.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ah, like that dnL campaign 7up had way back when

Make E-7up Yours

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shrikers insta killing on ragdoll impact def sucks lol. 5 deaths to that in our group

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

One of my biggest issues with the game as is right now is that incoming damage is very random, between headshots and crits.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

PS5 load out bug still exists.

Ugh. Well I am looking forward to seeing these flying bugs at least.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

people don't need another reason to get salty

I'm still enjoying this game with friends, but some of them get mad about getting slowed, Helldivers having to complete an action or they get interrupted (get up! use your stim!) and it bums me out. You're supposed to die.

"You're supposed to die" is pretty bad advice for a game that so aggressively pushes you into failure spirals. Like, they literally spawn more enemies to send at you when you reinforce dead teammates. They want you to be very careful about dying.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, I had a really good group and we just started a new mission and the game crashed. I'm glad it happened at the start of the mission and not the end. They were a cool bunch, RIP

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Any group that takes the time to *hug emote* at the start and evac of each map is a good squad

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Soloing is very much still possible, so nothings really changed. Shield and EATs do the same thing, but EATs can also snipe bug holes on a short cooldown when you're out of eagles / grenades. Knowing what fights to take and when is the name of the game. Stalker nests are a single eagle strike once you're close enough to line up the strike so it's not really a huge concern.

I have faaaaaaar more complaints about randomly joining 7s where lobbies are full of players over their heads than joining 9s because helldive players tend to be competent.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

How did I never notice this with all the time I spend staring at the map in mission? Goons had even mentioned knowing all those POIs were clear and I never understood how.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Doesn't the map icon change to a different icon entirely when the POI is clear?

e:

pulled off google I'm 99.9% sure the diamond changes to that location-ish marker in the top right once it's clear. Has nothing do with the brackets

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Though, I will say that it will claim it's clear even if there's one of those buried supply crates, which is annoying

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

johnny park posted:

e:

pulled off google I'm 99.9% sure the diamond changes to that location-ish marker in the top right once it's clear. Has nothing do with the brackets

Yeah this is it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I haven't been 100% paying attention but I think you'll see the diamond icon if there are samples there, an un-picked-up weapon, or it's one of the trolly ones with nothing at all. It doesn't seem to care about super credits or medals (or ammo pickups etc).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gorelab posted:

One of my biggest issues with the game as is right now is that incoming damage is very random, between headshots and crits.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Risky Bisquick posted:

I have faaaaaaar more complaints about randomly joining 7s where lobbies are full of players over their heads than joining 9s because helldive players tend to be competent.
the 7 with randoms experience is being in front of everyone because they fight everything, walking around an obvious and obviously annoying patrol with hunters+a charger, then thinking to yourself "they are definitely gonna aggro that patrol when they see it."

10 seconds later, hear gunfire and 'bug breach detected' pops up. they cannot help themselves

johnny park posted:

e:

That's what they mean by "brackets", though. The both the upper right icon and the other ones could be described as "diamonds", but only the uncollected ones(which look more like actual gemstones) have brackets around them.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 20, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not that I'm mad but I've played 5 missions on Fori and not seen a bile spewer. Are the spawns random or planet based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Random