Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

OddObserver posted:

"Good economy" is in fact based on reality for most people, and the fact that Biden actually followed left-wing policies made a huge difference.

Too bad he will be rewarded for it by supposed left-wingers amplifying vibes from corporate media upset that they have to pay service workers too much.

It reminds me of a post where a NYC liberal was complaining about how everything has gotten worse comparing early Trump admin (2016) to the Biden admin now. But every single one of their complaints was actually VC lifestyle subsidy rather than something Biden did. Stuff like "Ubers used to be so much cheaper" (because VC dollars allowed them to make negative profit with every ride in their attempt to gain monopoly), no fees on delivery apps (because VC dollars allowed them to make negative profit in their attempt to gain monopoly), and online sales lasted long enough reach them and could be 90% off at times (because VC dollars allowed them to make negative profit in their attempt to gain monopoly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, TBF, interest rate increases are related to Biden's policies.... but then so is good recovery in employment, and a labor market that helps working class people negotiate better salaries, which to me is an overall win.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OddObserver posted:

Well, TBF, interest rate increases are related to Biden's policies.... but then so is good recovery in employment, and a labor market that helps working class people negotiate better salaries, which to me is an overall win.

I feel like there might be a connection here...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Definitely not feeling the "good" economy here in Seattle. This city still hasn't recovered from the tech layoffs and they've had rippling effects on other adjacent industries in the area. Probably not going to see white collar jobs recover until interest rates go back down.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mustang posted:

Definitely not feeling the "good" economy here in Seattle. This city still hasn't recovered from the tech layoffs and they've had rippling effects on other adjacent industries in the area. Probably not going to see white collar jobs recover until interest rates go back down.

At least you still have… Boeing? Oh dear.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seattle's done it before

https://www.historylink.org/File/1287

quote:

The recession came as The Boeing Company, the region's largest employer, went from a peak of 100,800 employees in 1967 to a low of 38,690 in April 1971. McDonald said their out-of-town clients "were amazed that Seattle wasn’t a ghost town with weeds growing in the streets. We wanted to counteract that attitude with a little humor" (Duncan). They chose a billboard site that they inevitably passed after picking up their clients at the airport. The men rented the billboard for $160.

The Boeing recovery began slowly: By October 1971 the firm employed 53,300 workers.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The economy is "better" if you're on the upper middle class+ end of things. On the lower paycheck-to-paycheck end what we see is that everything costs more and no additional money is coming in to compensate for that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

OddObserver posted:

We could always go back to Trumps raging against raising interest rates and insisting on low ones. Biden has provided good economic stewardship no matter the feeling. This goes back to the trope of Republicans being the fiscally responsible/good economic party.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 20, 2024

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cool Dad posted:

The economy is "better" if you're on the upper middle class+ end of things. On the lower paycheck-to-paycheck end what we see is that everything costs more and no additional money is coming in to compensate for that.

Except real wage data suggests that upper middle class (particularly tech!) is doing worse and lower tier is actually showing improvement for the first time in many decades.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mustang posted:

Maybe house prices in the area can come down below $500k for a beat to poo poo single wide then.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The Big One (tm) is going to fix things in Seattle. Just you watch and see.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i've been waiting for the big one since the 80s. My family has been waiting for it since the 40s.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I have experienced more earthquakes in Pennsylvania (2) in 32ish years than I did in the 5 years living in Seattle (0).

Fukushima doesnt count.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

OddObserver posted:

Except real wage data suggests that upper middle class (particularly tech!) is doing worse and lower tier is actually showing improvement for the first time in many decades.

A huge part of it is the end of good, experienced lower management for a lot of food service and retail places. Think of it like this, pre-pandemic moving from min-wage fast food/supermarket/hardware store worker to department assistant manager at those places gave +$3/hr in return for having longer hours, having to response to every karen's complaints, needing to learn how to actually work everything in the department, needing to teach the new minimum wage workers, needing to cover for everyone, and trying to get unmotivated (and unmotivated for very good reasons) min-wage workers to do things. It's a miserable trade off and there is a low chance to get a further promotion to the actual good jobs in the company. But a lot of capable people still did the jobs because they felt they had no better option pre-pandemic.

Now post-pandemic, they realized they didn't have to put up with this and could demand that either the company pays them what their skills are worth, or they will leave for an industry that will. The actual lower 50% saw huge gains from these types of people moving out of dead-end assistant retail store manager to higher paid and more respected industry.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's the Task and Purpose write-up for Sgt. Chowdown:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/aafes-hot-dog-picture/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Which is 100% the same situation as Obama even if he had been born in Kenya.

And John McCain, born in Panama.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn’t the kernel here that at the time of Obama’s birth, if a child was born outside of the United States, they only received U.S. citizenship at birth if both parents were citizens?

Today it only takes one parent, but in 1961, if Obama had been born outside of the territory of the United States, having one parent be a U.S. citizen wouldn’t have been enough.

e: I forgot an aspect of this, which is that his mother’s problem in transmitting citizenship to her child is that that she hadn’t lived in the United States for “five years after attaining the age of fourteen years”, on account of having a natural age of eighteen years at the time of delivery.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 20, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t the kernel here that at the time of Obama’s birth, if a child was born outside of the United States, they only received U.S. citizenship at birth if both parents were citizens?

Today it only takes one parent, but in 1961, if Obama had been born outside of the territory of the United States, having one parent be a U.S. citizen wouldn’t have been enough.

That's never been settled. Some legal scholars say not, but most say he'd have been a citizen.

There's also a question of whether his parents' marriage was legal (Obama Sr. was married to a woman in Kenya and left but never divorced her) under Hawaiian state law. If it wasn't then legally he'd have been born out of wedlock, and the rule for birthright citizenship of a child born to a single woman required less time living in the US. So his mother would absolutely qualify to pass birthright citizenship on to Barack Obama Jr.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
If there was any chance they could have prevented Obama from being seated by challenging his citizenship, they would have.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are a lot of reasons that the proposals to end jus soli are really bad, but I would just like to point out that for every so‐called “anchor baby”, there’d be dozens of people going through these kinds of nightmares with paperwork irregularities.

I know this is a feature to fascists, but it ought to be said.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Platystemon posted:

e: I forgot an aspect of this, which is that his mother’s problem in transmitting citizenship to her child is that that she hadn’t lived in the United States for “five years after attaining the age of fourteen years”, on account of having a natural age of eighteen years at the time of delivery.

There’s no validity to their arguments.

Grip it and rip it posted:

If there was any chance they could have prevented Obama from being seated by challenging his citizenship, they would have.

This is correct.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s no validity to their arguments because there’s better documentation for Barack Obama being born in Hawai‘i than there is for perhaps a majority of Congressional Representatives being natural‐born citizens.

Had he not been born in U.S. territory, there would have been a problem.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The difference with Rafael Edward Cruz being born in Canada is that there was no question about whether his mother could transmit citizenship to him. There doesn’t have to be an examination of marriage validity or retroactive laws.

(And unofficially that people aren’t nearly as racist against conservative Canadians who pass as white.)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Re Trump if NY starts to liquidate his assets they’re only limited to what is in NY itself right? Like Mara Lago and Bedminster aren’t on the table correct?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nystral posted:

Re Trump if NY starts to liquidate his assets they’re only limited to what is in NY itself right? Like Mara Lago and Bedminster aren’t on the table correct?

The judgement is against him, not his assets. He's not clear until he fulfills the judgement against him. If he has to sell stuff outside of New York, so be it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I heard on NPR that they can start seizing assets in NY once the 30 day grace period is up, but that it's a longer process to get out of state assets - but not impossible to get them. Just a more complicated longer process through the courts. They didn't give many details on that part of the segment.

To seize in state assets all she needs to do is get NYC Sheriffs (yes, they actually exist but they're a tiny agency) or Marshalls to seize the assets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do a small group of sheriffs seize a building, logistically?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

They have guns. They can literally kill anyone who opposes them. That's how it works for homes and farms.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Subjunctive posted:

They hire a woman in a red trench coat and fedora to come in with a giant blimp with a crane arm to pick up Trump Tower and carry it off to the impound lot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Subjunctive posted:

they send a bailiff

p barnes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bored As gently caress posted:

I heard on NPR that they can start seizing assets in NY once the 30 day grace period is up, but that it's a longer process to get out of state assets - but not impossible to get them. Just a more complicated longer process through the courts. They didn't give many details on that part of the segment.

To seize in state assets all she needs to do is get NYC Sheriffs (yes, they actually exist but they're a tiny agency) or Marshalls to seize the assets.

NYC sheriffs? What on earth

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They hire a woman in a red trench coat and fedora to come in with a giant blimp with a crane arm to pick up Trump Tower and carry it off to the impound lot.

God carmen sandiego is so hot

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not quite current events, but this is the place that I think someone would know.

Are there any actual benefits to those things like those MOS specific type fraternal orders? Like Order of St. Redleg for the Arty or whatever?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

NYC sheriffs? What on earth

Yeah, it's a weird tiny agency. They mostly do code enforcement stuff, along with the state investigstors, they help close down illegal cannabis shops (ie not ones licensed by the state and just selling cannabis out of a storefront), cigarette tax and license enforcement stuff, and more.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/finance/sheriff-courts/sheriff.page

They're tiny tiny tiny compared to the NYPD and the civil service test comes out once every five or 10 years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A.o.D. posted:

They have guns. They can literally kill anyone who opposes them. That's how it works for homes and farms.

Sure but like a commercial building has a bunch of tenants in it, and the eventual buyer will want them still there probably. What does the sheriff do that wouldn’t be accomplished by the AG just telling the title registry or some other locus of paperwork to amend the ownership? What would the dead people have been opposing?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What would the dead people have been opposing?

Nominally they'd be opposing the seizing of the property.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Subjunctive posted:

Sure but like a commercial building has a bunch of tenants in it, and the eventual buyer will want them still there probably. What does the sheriff do that wouldn’t be accomplished by the AG just telling the title registry or some other locus of paperwork to amend the ownership? What would the dead people have been opposing?

They will probably not actually lock it down and kick everyone out for this reason but more do what you're talking about.

The relevant part is that she siezes assets and sells them to satisfy the judgement. By not posting bond, Trump can't stop this. So even if he wins on appeal or the judgement is amended, if assets are sold, he doesn't get them back only whatever money. These properties are also heavily mortgaged most likely so a whole different snowball with move with that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNE6lbD_b4

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A.o.D. posted:

Is it bad that I'm waiting for the Call to Arms on Truth from him, indicating he knows it's over and wants his properties defended to the last stand by the true believers?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is it bad that I'm waiting for the Call to Arms on Truth from him, indicating he knows it's over and wants his properties defended to the last stand by the true believers?

Yeah, Trump inciting an armed standoff with his supporters against the feds is one of those things that we probably don’t want to see, funny as it would be (at least initially.)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll volunteer for water cannon duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

OddObserver posted:

:rubby:

Any improvement is 1) fifteen years overdue and 2) still below actual inflation.