Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

That freshly thoroughly cooked, very salty chicken is going to be fine for half a day like they're planning. A restaurant can't leave it out that long (I think the limit is around 2 hours), but restaurant safety standards are significantly more stringent than what is likely to get a person sick.

Also they're in a car so they're going faster than the germs anyway :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

That's the part that really got me. Like, he ate all that and still felt that one of the remaining six was 'his' and that his mum having it instead was a punishment for him and also made everything square.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Are we really gonna do this all over again? If someone says "I do not want this" and you haven't gotten them a gift yet, don't get them that thing they don't want. Why does he even want to give it to them so badly? Clearly not to make her happy.
She doesn't deserve to be happy. She doesn't want to be happy. She wants to play mind games with someone trying to please her.

Mx. posted:

AITA for making my blyfriends nieces "weird"
Yeah, whoever heard of an 8 year old wearing a homemade cape?

Obnoxipus posted:

There is very little in a relationship that could be good enough for me to get over "husband steals our sick, elderly pet's medicine and uses it to get high, and then pisses in all the cups we have as I beg him not to. He does not wash them half the time."
I'm going to assume there's enough dog weed left over after the dog gets their weed. But dude, get your own weed. This is like eating your dog's Pupperoni because you're too dumb to know that they sell Slim Jims at the gas station.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cacator posted:

I never thought there'd be a period blood equivalent of the gurglespurts pants, but alas, here we are.

Yes, accidentally getting period blood on your underwear is the same as intentionally making GBS threads your pants.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AceClown posted:

AITA for not giving my roommate a tampon and telling her she can no longer use anything I own?

the edits

Who has “Emma comes from a weird religious background and her shame over her own bodily functions is being transferred onto acting out about the op’s underwear”?

Cuz that’s absolutely my guess

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yes, accidentally getting period blood on your underwear is the same as intentionally making GBS threads your pants.

Surprise, I'm the Emma from the OP

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

She doesn't deserve to be happy. She doesn't want to be happy. She wants to play mind games with someone trying to please her.

If he tries to please someone by giving them the one gift they said they didn't want, then they deserve each other.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Definitely. Many women will have a few pairs of "period underwear"

Depends on the period. Like Victorian era, sure maybe a couple. But you only need one Edwardian, cause honestly who cares. Maybe a few Tudor if you're really into that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Midnight Voyager posted:

If he tries to please someone by giving them the one gift they said they didn't want, then they deserve each other.
No argument here! Her manipulation bouncing off of his obduracy is the funniest possible outcome. Some brave adventurer will find two skeletons in a maze of Legos.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITAH for telling my mom she is dead to me if she mentors my bully?

quote:

So my[16m] mom[40s] is a teacher at my school. Our school has a special elective you can take which is being a teacher's aide during your elective period. It's mostly stuff like grading papers for them, making copies, mentoring, etc... It's pretty much always just the teacher's favorite student at the time. I found out at the beginning of the semester that my mom chose "Dave"[17m] to be her TA.

Dave has made my life a living nightmare since middle school. He has bullied me mercilessly both physically and emotionally since 6th grade. I don't want to get into everything he's done to me, but everyone is fully aware of it, including the school and my parents. There have been countless meetings with school administration and suspensions on his end but it never stopped him. Since we've been in high school I haven't had to see him as much, which is a relief, but the times that I do are always terrible.

When I found out that he was her new TA, I was obviously very hurt and confused. I asked her why would she want to spend extra time with someone who made my life so terrible? She said that she had him in one of her classes and that he really isn't such a bad kid, but he has a really terrible home life that she can't tell me about that makes him act out. For the record, my mom has always had a soft spot for kids who come from bad homes. I reminded her of all the things he had done to me and she said that she understands but he really needs help right now. I told her I get that, but why does it have to be you? We have a huge school full of teachers and staff who can mentor him. Why does it have to be you? She told me to stop being selfish and some kids have it harder than I can imagine and she's just trying to help.

I was honest with her and told her that if she continued to have him as her aide, she was dead to me. She was choosing him over me and she would not longer be my mother. I would no longer talk to her and the minute I turned 18, I was moving out and she would never hear from me again. She rolled her eyes and said I was being dramatic but after a couple of days of ignoring her, I was grounded. It didn't change my mind and my dad then tried to force me to talk to her. I still refused so they pretty much took everything away from me one by one for the past few weeks. I no longer have my car, computer, guitar, and most recently my art supplies and I have to come home from school and go straight to my room and am not allowed out except dinner until I start talking to her again. They don't realize that this is just strengthening my resolve. I'm going to sit in this empty room every day silently until I'm 18 and they'll never see me again.

My mom keeps coming in crying and begging me to talk to her which makes me feel kind of bad but she still won't remove Dave as her aide. Am I taking this too far? I just feel so betrayed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

sullat posted:

Depends on the period. Like Victorian era, sure maybe a couple. But you only need one Edwardian, cause honestly who cares. Maybe a few Tudor if you're really into that.

Don't even get me started on Georgian

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

ad090 posted:

She's dead to you, so she's just taking back stuff she paid for.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yyyyeeeah but that's what you do when you've decided you are ok with the estrangement and you're set on widening the gap to make sure it's permanent. It sounds like the mom thinks she can eventually break the kid back into talking to her, which yikes if so because this is not the way to go.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Dave has a bad home life, so gets extra support from a teacher.

Now OP is entitled to extra support from a better mother.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Shanghaied posted:

She's dead to you, so she's just taking back stuff she paid for.

poo poo take

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ad090 posted:

"No, I won't stop mentoring your bully, and now I'm going to bully you into trying to talk to me again."

If this bully kid is a real sociopath, he may very well have asked for the OP's mom to mentor him knowing that it would get under his skin.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I did the same exact loving thing.

My :wookie: Machinist Son Refuses To Shower, Please Help!

Mx. posted:

AITA for making my blyfriends nieces "weird"

NGL those cloaks sound awesome, I wanna see how they came out :3:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yyyyeeeah but that's what you do when you've decided you are ok with the estrangement and you're set on widening the gap to make sure it's permanent. It sounds like the mom thinks she can eventually break the kid back into talking to her, which yikes if so because this is not the way to go.
The failure condition on that strategy if it doesn't work is...oof.

I suspect Mom and Dave are having an affair.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That mom's got an awful savior complex.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah that mom is prioritizing her own sense of self-satisfaction as Good Person who helps troubled kids over her own child's well-being. She also thinks she can bully her son into accepting her lovely selfish priorities. Her son is making her feel bad, which is the worst thing anyone can do to anyone, so clearly he needs to be punished.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

She got one of my teachers to pull me aside and try to convince me to forgive her. He said all that crap about only having one mom and whatnot. When he stopped talking I asked if he was done and just left the classroom.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
A classic case of misplaced empathy, where there's more sympathy for the perpetrator than the victim. It's staggering how easy it is for bullies to manipulate people in this way.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ad090 posted:

:owned:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

never get between a white lady and her pet

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sullat posted:

:actually: Tudor ladies didn't wear anything resembling underplants.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FMguru posted:

The failure condition on that strategy if it doesn't work is...oof.

I suspect Mom and Dave are having an affair.

Maybe ease up on sudden accusations of statutory rape.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
It's been a while since we had a nice small business tyrant. From r/legaladvice.

Can a town legally shut down the only road to a public business for local events?

quote:

I recently opened a business in a small town of 2,000 people and it is right on main street. The building was long abandoned but i fixed it up and now it is opened.

The city got used to shutting down the road for local events since it was used to no businesses being opened there after 4pm (city hall, post office, dentist, the bank, the insurance company, the library etc all close at 4). However, my business is opened until 10pm.

Some of the events the city does are a 3 day weekend affair when nothing is normally opened all weekend and both ends of the road are closed off with road barriers and port a potties for all 3 days.

I spoke to the city earlier today and they informed me the events will continue and they won't be moving the location of the annual planned events.

Is this legal? I pay property taxes for the business and have a legal right to operate, do i not? I can't just be closed for all the events they have. In the spring-fall there is about 15 events they do, 2 of which are 3 day events.

There is no other road to access my store. The main street road is the only one and is a road turn at the end of each end of the block with no rear parking/store entry available.

In comments, the op says two things.
1. He does not believe there is any way for his business to take advantage of major small town events to get more foot traffic.
2. His business is a submarine sandwich shop.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

What a terrible fate, being the only sandwich shop open when downtown is shutdown for events and lots of hungry people are wandering around not wanting to drive away to get their food. Truly an unenviable position to have a captive audience for whom your product would be a godsend.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Paragraphs added

AITA for getting mad at people for not wanting to take trips with me or drive me to places ??

quote:

So I've been extremely bitter lately and it is all because of what is happening all around me. Everything just keeps on getting worse and worse and worse cause it seems like no one is wanting to take trips with me anymore. Everyone thinks that I'm some sort of nutcase cause of my bipolar disorder.

I took a trip with another friend of mine last year to NYC and I had multiple meltdowns with him during the trip. After I got back home, I apologized to him about it and I thought everything was fine until today. I tried asking him if he could do a trip with me this year where we would drive to chicago together. He blatantly told me that he has everything planned out for this year already and said that we could do it next year. I don't understand how can you have a whole year planned out already of trips. Then we have my bestfriend who is not wanting to do anything at all cause he is married. I tried asking him a few days ago if he could fly over here and we could drive over to Dallas cause I wanted to film some driving videos of Interstate 20. He told me that he can't cause he has to stay at home cause he and his wife want to try to have a kid. I find that absurdly stupid as he can't even take off two or three days from his wife to go travel with me. He is married so he can see her anytime versus me where we only get to see each other sometimes. We used to do something once a year and now he is devoting all of his time to his wife which I find is absurdly stupid.

Then I have problems with my family and they are all giving me a hard time when I try to ask them if they could take me driving on I-20 to Dallas so that I could film the route. They said they don't want to do it cause my dad is too old to drive far long distance. They're all telling me to go get my license and do it on my own.

The problem is that I have been trying to get my license for years and I can't even get it. I keep on failing the test all the time cause of my learning disability. I mean I can drive illegally with a license cause I know how to operate a car but I don't want to risk going to jail if I get pulled over. I'm just so frustrated to the point where I'm losing it.

After everyone denied me, I started calling everyone selfish bitches who only cared about themselves. I've just about had it. I tried talking to my cousin about this and he called me a selfish piece of crap saying that I treat my dad horribly by asking him to drive long distance. My cousin doesn't understand that I'm just asking for help cause I can't do it on my own legally. I'm just about to lose it cause I don't get why everyone thinks that I'm selfish. Is it really that selfish to ask for help ?? Don't I have the right to be mad at everyone ??

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

teacher mom is NTA, at least for the mentoring part. she has a resposability towards that kid and should fulfill it as best as possible regardless of what her son thinks

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

What a terrible fate, being the only sandwich shop open when downtown is shutdown for events and lots of hungry people are wandering around not wanting to drive away to get their food. Truly an unenviable position to have a captive audience for whom your product would be a godsend.

I would bet this brain genius will close his store during the events, probably with a snippy handwritten sign on the door. And then wonder why he goes out of business within a year.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I both want to know and dread knowing what “film the route” means

I hope this person isn’t trying to make people drive them in a silent car while they record the passenger side view because I would also be ghosting OP

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

babypolis posted:

teacher mom is NTA, at least for the mentoring part. she has a resposability towards that kid and should fulfill it as best as possible regardless of what her son thinks

She also has a responsibility towards her son. There are a great many teachers who could theoretically mentor that kid, but there's only one that's the mom of the kid he's bullying. Well, was only one, now there's none.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

rotinaj posted:

I both want to know and dread knowing what “film the route” means

I hope this person isn’t trying to make people drive them in a silent car while they record the passenger side view because I would also be ghosting OP

Silent, except for the frequent meltdowns.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

reignonyourparade posted:

She also has a responsibility towards her son. There are a great many teachers who could theoretically mentor that kid, but there's only one that's the mom of the kid he's bullying. Well, was only one, now there's none.

Yeah, the bully she's mentoring is gonna be around her whole life, whereas her son is just a blip in her illustrious career. Good call.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

yeah and shes not hurting her son by doing her job. hes the one choosing to take it personally

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SpaceViking posted:

It's been a while since we had a nice small business tyrant. From r/legaladvice.

Can a town legally shut down the only road to a public business for local events?

In comments, the op says two things.
1. He does not believe there is any way for his business to take advantage of major small town events to get more foot traffic.
2. His business is a submarine sandwich shop.

I'm suffering from a wicked head cold right now and wish I could describe the snort laugh that turned into a squeaking, gasping coughing fit after that spoiler.

Please share any comments or updates, as someone who's worked an extremely similar job in an extremely similar situation (our little village loves to shut down "Main Street" for parades, Earth Day Festival, Fall Festival, etc. We hate it as employees but all the restaurants on that stretch make mad bank.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

babypolis posted:

Wrong

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i may have a warped perspective as a teacher, but if someone is your student you have a responsability towards them, regardless of your personal feelings or how awful their vibes might be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

babypolis posted:

i may have a warped perspective as a teacher, but if someone is your student you have a responsability towards them, regardless of your personal feelings or how awful their vibes might be

lets hope you don't have any kids then