Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

skooma512 posted:

only to emerge and continue ruling us as their birthright.

I don't want to engage with the facility of "neofeudalism" but no, they cannot.

They rule over us by money, not by birth. It was the whole reasons burghers created liberalism in the first place. They wanted money to grant political and social power. They have no inherent power, by birth their money is their power. Even for inheritance, what matters is that they inherit money. Inheriting a name alone is worthless to them, which would be unimaginable in societies where families struggled for generations to earn "Don", "Von", "Van" etc. and you could be impoverished and genteel, to the point where it was a literary convention, and still have access to what you needed through your name.

In a world where the rich emerge from bunkers, money means nothing, and therefore, they have no ability to rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Only rookies buy potassium iodine tablets for an impeding nuclear war. The smart pro move is to buy lead foils in bulk to cover your interior and build a suit out for outdoors.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I live in a major city so I am not worry about nuke. If I live in New Zealand I would start collecting SM gears for my gang.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

MI
They rule over us by money, not by birth. It was the whole reasons burghers created liberalism in the first place. They wanted money to grant political and social power. They have no inherent power, by birth their money is their power. Even for inheritance, what matters is that they inherit money. Inheriting a name alone is worthless to them, which would be unimaginable in societies where families struggled for generations to earn "Don", "Von", "Van" etc. and you could be impoverished and genteel, to the point where it was a literary convention, and still have access to what you needed through your name.

In a world where the rich emerge from bunkers, money means nothing, and therefore, they have no ability to rule.

I especially can't imagine a society less likely to jump back from nuclear war than the modern United States. It would have been a herculean task in the 20th century. In the 21st where the vast majority of our production has been off shored. Theres assholes would slowly starve in the bunkers they built for us. Assuming there aren't guards who just gun them down after their familes die

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

yeah I'm in the instant death zone instead of the protracted starvation/irradiation death zone. nothing to be done about it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm not talking about the rich, I'm talking about the government and military having doomsday bunkers and Continuity of Government plans for after nuclear war, which they would have had a hand in starting most likely.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

skooma512 posted:

I'm not talking about the rich, I'm talking about the government and military having doomsday bunkers and Continuity of Government plans for after nuclear war, which they would have had a hand in starting most likely.

that sounds like a lot of money to not hand over as free cash to mic scams and rentier monopolies to me

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

skooma512 posted:

Lmao if you seriously think that the government and military still have anything that resembles that after the neolib rot

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The US was barely holding it together during COVID and that was like a month worth of supply chain disruption.

It is 2024 and I don’t think the US could even handle way it did 4 years ago.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There was an article by a guy asked to consult on the question of "how do I ensure the loyalty of my bunker staff after the apocalypse?" and I believe some techbro billionaire suggested bomb collars.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

stumblebum posted:

that sounds like a lot of money to not hand over as free cash to mic scams and rentier monopolies to me

lol

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao if you seriously think that the government and military still have anything that resembles that after the neolib rot

Unless they sold it the stuff left over from the Cold War is probably still there, and I'm sure the rulers saved themselves a little something.

Of course all those locations are probably known and will be turboglassed, but still.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Ardennes posted:

The US was barely holding it together during COVID and that was like a month worth of supply chain disruption.

It is 2024 and I don’t think the US could even handle way it did 4 years ago.

you’re right it’s not hold together during Covid right now

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

Only rookies buy potassium iodine tablets for an impeding nuclear war. The smart pro move is to buy lead foils in bulk to cover your interior and build a suit out for outdoors.

the only two moves that make sense are to either minimize your own suffering by attempting to catch a falling nuke on your tongue like the first snowflake of winter or to already be sitting on a dragon's hoard of corned beef and ammunition as far away from anything worth nuking as is physically possible

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Z the IVth posted:

There was an article by a guy asked to consult on the question of "how do I ensure the loyalty of my bunker staff after the apocalypse?" and I believe some techbro billionaire suggested bomb collars.
two articles, both very delusional

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/23/tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/sep/04/super-rich-prepper-bunkers-apocalypse-survival-richest-rushkoff

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Mar 20, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

the only two moves that make sense are to either minimize your own suffering by attempting to catch a falling nuke on your tongue like the first snowflake of winter or to already be sitting on a dragon's hoard of corned beef and ammunition as far away from anything worth nuking as is physically possible

i dunno things have been getting gradually worse for so long that i feel like i might as well try to live in the mad max world just for the experience you know?

Like 2010 me would just freak out and cry but i feel 2024 me would be like 'well gently caress, knew this was coming, better find a clean source of water, construct a suit of metal armour and make a crossbow'. No i have no experience in woodwork or smithing, gently caress you stop ruining it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

fallout was a documentary

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

they assured me i'd be assigned a control vault where they didn't do anything super weird.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

it was very funny that the obvious non-insane answer of "include quarters for their families so that they are personally invested in the bunker project" was immediately shot down whenever he suggested it

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

cock hero flux posted:

it was very funny that the obvious non-insane answer of "include quarters for their families so that they are personally invested in the bunker project" was immediately shot down whenever he suggested it

This is literally why they're not feudal lords, or basically... you know, like humans, and can't function in a society without the inhuman logic of capitalism. No capital, no rule by bugmen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

you know the real humanity understanders have logged on when their criteria for their personal safety when the only remaining law in hobbe's state of nature is armed violent men with few enough personal attachments they are fine leaving it all behind to your well-appointed bunker once money ceases to have meaning

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah I'm really not worried about the bunker poo poo. The rich are the stupidest they've ever been as a group, so of course they don't think that culling the populace will mean their rear end will be on a platter in short order as well.

Remember, they're dumber than hammers and completely useless as human beings.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The only bunkers we hear about are the bunkers of people stupid enough to talk about having a bunker and anybody smart enough to have created a sustainable bunker probably is also smart enough not to talk to the press about it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thoguh posted:

The only bunkers we hear about are the bunkers of people stupid enough to talk about having a bunker and anybody smart enough to have created a sustainable bunker probably is also smart enough not to talk to the press about it.

i know posterity has not been kind a lot of the nonsense in it, but i will cop to kind of liking the bit in world war z about the attention-starved celebs turned their exclusive survival compound into a reality show and promptly got overrun by desperate families

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Neighbor down the street tore down the house and is now building a big rear end bunker underneath the new one he is going to build. They've got the property fenced up so you can't see inside very easily but I saw that poo poo walking the dogs and one of my other neighbors gossiped about it to me. If the nukes fly I have a plan.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

What the. How the hell is he building a bunker around here? Isn't it like crazy expensive to just dig a feet down due to all the limestone?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

lol

Unless they sold it the stuff left over from the Cold War is probably still there, and I'm sure the rulers saved themselves a little something.

Of course all those locations are probably known and will be turboglassed, but still.

Facilities "existing" doesn't mean they're still operable or habitable. A bunker filled with rotted food and broken air filtration systems doesn't preserve anything.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

Facilities "existing" doesn't mean they're still operable or habitable. A bunker filled with rotted food and broken air filtration systems doesn't preserve anything.

See: CFB North Bay

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

The Oldest Man posted:

actually as long as the food is sufficiently decayed and the ventilation sufficiently sealed then i think it should preserve rich people corpses pretty well for a while

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

stumblebum posted:

actually as long as the food is sufficiently decayed and the ventilation sufficiently sealed then i think it should preserve rich people corpses pretty well for a while

The mold will break down the bodies.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Silver lining is the government bunker locations are probably targeted with enough warheads to dig them out.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

i would simply hire servants to be entombed with my body to clean and take care of it so that my soul can look sharp for ladder-climbing the afterlife

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Remember that Congress built a $900 million fear bunker for themselves after 9/11 and then on 1/6 they had to abandon it and run away because one of the Congress persons left the door open deliberately for the people outside.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sullat posted:

Remember that Congress built a $900 million fear bunker for themselves after 9/11 and then on 1/6 they had to abandon it and run away because one of the Congress persons left the door open deliberately for the people outside.

lmao do you have a source for that, hilarious

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i don't know how many nukes it would take to blow a hole through a foot of reinforced concrete but i found this amazing drawing from a 1990 paper from the army about dividing walls

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

sullat posted:

no loving way please post a link about this

also my nuclear war plan is to kill myself

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bij posted:

Silver lining is the government bunker locations are probably targeted with enough warheads to dig them out.

Probably only need one to permanently bury them. What are they going to do, dig themselves out?

Thinking back to Threads where the civil administrators suffocated in their bunker before rescue could reach them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I mean obviously the post-apoc North America would be dominated by former gunnuts who used to live in the flyover states, just go around hunting underground bunkers techbros for fun.

China will rebuild in a few decades. Russia will too but slower.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

if i somehow survive the blasts then ya, id give survival a shot

whats the worst taht can happen?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

no loving way please post a link about this

also my nuclear war plan is to kill myself

It's part of the Jan 6th lore? I only remember that because we all 'watched' it live on these here forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

if i somehow survive the blasts then ya, id give survival a shot

whats the worst taht can happen?