Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Count Fenring would mumble in certain patterns to communicate with his wife. Notice he only does it in her presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fausty posted:

Count Fenring would mumble in certain patterns to communicate with his wife. Notice he only does it in her presence.

That doesn't make it less ridiculous to actually read. Or listen to, in the case of the aforementioned audiobook.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

disposablewords posted:

That doesn't make it less ridiculous to actually read. Or listen to, in the case of the aforementioned audiobook.

Also 100% true

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dessel posted:

edit: Oh, I thought Vladimir Harkonnen's voice in the book was surprisingly good and I wondered why. Then I realized it's partly because of the voice filtering, which I realized sounds a little like Darth Vader. Fat Darth Vader. Oh well, it's still good

Rather funny given the Baron is almost certainly part of the inspiration for Darth Vader, as well as Jabba. (Vader is also apparently inspired by Doctor Doom, as well as samurai masks)

The Star Wars comparisons are fun especially if you look at the prequels. I've said that I get RotS Anakin vibes from Chalamet, and I bet that's deliberate. Paul might have gone even more off the rails if Jessica had gotten killed.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 20, 2024

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
One criticism that I'm struggling to argue with is the sense in which the second film treats prescience is... a bit all over the place in hindsight? In the first it feels at least coherent: Paul, as the quasi-kwisatz haderach has some sort of gift of prophecy, even if the detail and meaning are not clear, he sees Arrakis, Channi and a future in which he's fighting with (leading?) a huge Fremen army, these are at least possible futures, but not with certain details.

In the second, that aspect honestly felt messy to me.
I get that they were trying to convey that Paul KNEW that going south would have Bad Consequences, but it wasn't clear to me between that point and him actually doing so and taking the waters of life whether any of this was him trying to avoid this fate and being driven to it, or whether it was Jessica's influence making him do it or an active choice or some combination. if I remember the book right, it's basically structured that Paul's jihad is effectively unavoidable once he kills Jamis - that even if he died past that point or tried to stop it, the Fremen would carry on with his legend as lisan-al-gaib regardless and so he's pushed down a path that he can't get off of.

Some of this is complicated up by the change in timeline of WHEN he takes the waters of life in the book vs movie, as well as it seeming like Villeneuve made the choice to give Paul more actual authority over his choices rather than the books almost-fatalism. I kinda wish that there was some more introspection after he does take the waters of life as to what he sees and what his motivations are vs what almost came across to me like he just suddenly 'knew the answers' and got on with it.

Ultimately it's hard to judge being a book-knower how well this is conveyed in the film in isolation, but for what is such a critical part of the first book (and key to the later ones - lucky that there are no plans to actually make God Emperor), I was expecting it to be a bit more front-and-centre.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think the point of villaneuve's interpretation of the prescience is that the creepy ancestor voices are lying and saying stuff in bad faith to paul. jamis will "teach you the ways of the desert" - which of course he does. so that's why the voices tell him to go to the top of the tallest dune, because they're saying stuff in bad faith. every one of paul's authority figures in the movie is doing some poo poo to make him worse. stilgar and jessica trying to get the lisan al-gaib to happen, gurney with showing him the atomics, etc

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Give me the Worm God Emperor. I wanna see this get more nuts.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think the point of villaneuve's interpretation of the prescience is that the creepy ancestor voices are lying and saying stuff in bad faith to paul. jamis will "teach you the ways of the desert" - which of course he does. so that's why the voices tell him to go to the top of the tallest dune, because they're saying stuff in bad faith. every one of paul's authority figures in the movie is doing some poo poo to make him worse. stilgar and jessica trying to get the lisan al-gaib to happen, gurney with showing him the atomics, etc

Good point.
in the first movie, the Duke says he wanted to be a pilot; also Jessica wanted to be a wife, Paul was supposed to be Pauline. As it were. There's a whole lot of identity-crafting going on in that movie and none of it works out at all well for anyone.
Gotta say, Chani with her worm hooks at the end of Two is a perfect distillation of "ugh my bf sucks I'm out of here" energy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel posted:

finally I'm at a theatre playing the 1.43 version. the screen is 4 stories tall. I might die from sound poisoning

I'm good. I made it out alive. it ruled

Tree Bucket posted:

Gotta say, Chani with her worm hooks at the end of Two is a perfect distillation of "ugh my bf sucks I'm out of here" energy.

that shot also calls back to the shot of her in Paul's final pre-water-of-life vision. paul sees chani watching an atomic explosion which burns and probably kills her. then at the end, chani witnesses the jihad ignite in front of her, which eventually will lead to her death

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9F0j7Rnq0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlFL0WnQs7Y&t=1986s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard to name a story with prescience where it's not misleading, troubling and in general almost more trouble than it's worth. That's literally the major ongoing theme of the books where the big plans are to destroy and cripple it as much as possible.

And that's good, because a prophecy going exactly as expected is boring as gently caress.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

kalel posted:

paul sees chani watching an atomic explosion which burns and probably kills her.

My immediate thought was that this is also a warped vision of the stone burner blinding Paul in Messiah.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Come Muad'dib, friend or traitor, come. Come and look upon the Emperor and Bene Gesserit, and bring you crysknife, I have need of it. Come to the palace chamber, I wait for you there, where we last met, countless ages ago. Come to me through fire and war, I welcome you! Welcome One Who Points the Way, I have prepared a place for you! Come, bring your crysknife to the palace chamber, together, let us free the cursed false gods!

Welcome Muad'dib, together we shall speak for the law and the land and drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Arrakis! Is this how you honor the house Harkonen and the sietch unmourned? Come to me openly, and not by stealth. Vladimir Harkonen welcomes you Muad'dib, my old friend... but to this place where destiny is made, why have you come unprepared?

Welcome, Muad'dib, to this place where YOUR destiny is made. What a fool you are, I'm a god! How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence! How could you be so naive? There is no escape, no voice or weirding way can work in this place! Come! Lay down your weapons! It is not too late for my mercy...

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 20, 2024

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Leto is deified. The Fremen tell tales of him. Few know the truth. He was mortal once, as was my line. However, his contempt for humanity drove him to create me and my brethren. I am Duncan, latest manufactured of his lieutenants. I stood with Leto and his sister at the dawn of his Empire. I have served him for millennia. Over time, he became less human and more... divine.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/Sietchposting/status/1770083375837008174?s=20

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
One thing I loved in Dune 2 was how frenchly they say “Baron” in Harkonnenese. I’d never read harks as frogs before but you know what, why not.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
On a re-read this is bothering me.

When Thufir thinks that Jessica's a Harkonnen spy she hits him with the Voice and he's completely taken aback. It's an total surprise to him that this capability even exists. But it's not a secret to anyone else. When the Harks take her captive they gag her and stick a deaf guard on her.

I guess this fits in with all the other "these people who are supposed to be incredibly competent actually consistently suck at their jobs" moments but now it bugs me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh you mean the crushed Duncan janitor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

On a re-read this is bothering me.

When Thufir thinks that Jessica's a Harkonnen spy she hits him with the Voice and he's completely taken aback. It's an total surprise to him that this capability even exists. But it's not a secret to anyone else. When the Harks take her captive they gag her and stick a deaf guard on her.

I guess this fits in with all the other "these people who are supposed to be incredibly competent actually consistently suck at their jobs" moments but now it bugs me.

He isn't surprised by the voice. He is shocked that she used it on *him*. The voice is known but people think the BG are like handmaidens and obedient. The idea of them being aggressive with the voice to an ally is unheard of. The fist inside the velvet glove.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 20, 2024

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
there's also a big difference between the general perception of "they can be so beguiling you shouldn't even let them speak" and the actual first hand experience of "oh no the pretty lady made me poo poo myself with voice sorcery"

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bubblyblubber posted:

there's also a big difference between the general perception of "they can be so beguiling you shouldn't even let them speak" and the actual first hand experience of "oh no the pretty lady made me poo poo myself with voice sorcery"

You're almost always the smartest dude in the room, you've always heard of wild talk about these "witches," and yeah, you're sure a Reverend Mother can do some poo poo, but she's just some hot concubine BG reject they foisted on your Duke to lead him by his dick...

And then she orders you to poo poo your pants.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

why it was stunning piece of strategy that I poo poo my pants, 1/8339

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly it's even more than that. "BG Witches" are considered extension of the person they serve, rather than independent beings. They have powers but the BG have gone excessively out of their way to paint their entire order as obedient controlled servants. As far as people are concerned they're like a more dangerous version of Yueh's whole thing. They have to keep all that secret because their entire thing depends on people assuming they are harmless to any but the enemies of their 'masters' and their whole crazy breeding and manipulation schemes are largely secret. Shadaam has some idea of it but we're shown that is because he's well aware he's the nexus of a number of different groups and his power depends on them.

That is part of why they freak out so hard when Paul basically upends everything. Once their secret is out they lose a tremendous amount of power because "I want my own Truthsayer" becomes a loooot less tempting when it comes along with "... who may be secretly manipulating my every action."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

He had seen two main branchings along the way ahead - in one he confronted an evil old Baron and said: "Hello, Grandfather." The thought of that path and what lay along it sickened him.

The other path held long patches of grey obscurity except for peaks of violence. He had seen a warrior religion there, a fire spreading across the universe with the Atreides green and black banner waving at the head of fanatic legions drunk on spice liquor. Gurney Halleck and a few others of his father's men - a pitiful few - were among them, all marked by the hawk symbol from the shrine of his father's skull.

In the movie the first thing happened, so I wonder if the third movie is going to be DV's version of the sickening timeline.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, what was the throat-singing subtitled line that opened pt 2 again? It might have been a riff on "he who can destroy a thing has absolute power over that thing" but I don't think so. All I know is that when it hit in the theatre, I let out a quiet "LET'S GOOO"

"Power over Spice is power over all", in other words, he who controls the spice controls the universe.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Shageletic posted:

why it was stunning piece of strategy that I poo poo my pants, 1/8339

(reflexively empties my bowels into my pants with 100% efficiency) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Guess he couldn't tell it was for God Emperor of Dune.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Imperador Deus." Hm, what could this mean? It's probably Brazilian for "From the author of The Dosadi Experiment"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dessel posted:

I've been listening to the Dune audiobook (the one with more voice actors) and...

1. I'm glad Count Fenring wasn't in the films. His speech pattern is so hilariously comedic. Mmmmramramram blahblah. Yea Vladimir inner monologues how he's actually a dangerous badass but still. I am curious how his speech actually written in the book.
2. I'm glad Paul's servant/wife from duel isn't featured in the film either :barf: Someone might try and say not to apply our morals to an imaginary society and its their custom and I'd disagree but wouldn't care to argue back but holy poo poo it would be uncomfortable on film.
3. Jessica seems more...subservient in the book, it feels like he's at least slightly more proactive/stern in the two newer films?
4. Less homophobia. Yeah, I know the thing about Herbert's other son.
5. Paul goes full arrogance mode in the book right off the bat thanks to his precognition ability and it's super off-putting. I guess that might be the intention though?

edit: Oh, I thought Vladimir Harkonnen's voice in the book was surprisingly good and I wondered why. Then I realized it's partly because of the voice filtering, which I realized sounds a little like Darth Vader. Fat Darth Vader. Oh well, it's still good

...Though maybe the multi-actor one is actually the bad version apparently because it's a retrofitted abridged version with inconsistency when voice actors are used?

Quick thoughts:
  • They could have handled this -- in fact, with an effective shock -- by having him muttering and Jerry Lewising his way through a scene (OK, a bit more subtle than that, but that's how I've always pictured him), when suddenly an assassin makes his move. Faster than the Sardaukar honor guard can react, Fenring has crossed the dais and planted the assassin's own kindjal through his throat. "Mmm...sorry for the...mmm...interruption, your Imperial Majesty. you...hrmm...were saying?"
  • Agree, Herbert might have been a little forward looking with the agency he gives the BG characters and Chani, but women generally don't get a good showing from him.
  • Agreed, though I wish she had done more in Dunc 2 -- they basically dropped the whole plot line about how she was going to convince all the doubters, starting with the weakest. And this goes doubly so with Chani, who gains a lot of agency in Dunc 2.
  • A fat, gross pedophile as the apparent main villain of the book would be too much today, especially as the original did nothing to avoid conflating homosexuality and pedophilia.
  • I think that's the point. Once he starts down the Golden Path, "The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
  • The voice that really impressed me was Butler's impression of Skarsgård; this role should definitely help him break out of any typecasting as Elvis (though that Tom Hardy motorcycle movie I saw in the previews isn't going to do him any favors in this regard)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair a gross fat pedophile is at least one of the villains of reality at the moment.

Doesn't make the Baron poo poo any less crappy and homophobic.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Like I said upthread, my friend was upset with the queer-coding of Feyd and the Baron enough that he almost left the theatre. I didn't really think it was too bad, certainly not nearly as outmoded as the books.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/awoodustin/status/1770281001010520346?t=T9YW78FsN6spLX02IKt2SA&s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How do you call that man, the one on the marshmallow bag?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I did like the bit in the movie where Chani's friend is digging at Paul for how the desert mouse almost gave away his position and Paul's like "hey yeah why don't you name me after that little shithead?"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Do I have to watch this in IMAX? Like,literally all IMAX screenings are sold out until forever and the ones that are not have like absolutely dreadful seats

I watched the first one in a regular theatre and it was okay. I know D-Dawg does a good job with sounds and music so idk

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m glad I saw it a second time in XD

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Galewolf posted:

Do I have to watch this in IMAX? Like,literally all IMAX screenings are sold out until forever and the ones that are not have like absolutely dreadful seats

I watched the first one in a regular theatre and it was okay. I know D-Dawg does a good job with sounds and music so idk

Watch it in a normal theater now and then in imax as soon as possible

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It was perfectly fine in a regular theater, almost a little overwhelming already. IMAX would be a hell of a thing but it's not like it's remotely mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

StashAugustine posted:

Watch it in a normal theater now and then in imax as soon as possible

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea but also good to hear it's okay in normal theatre