Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Triarii posted:

"You're supposed to die" is pretty bad advice for a game that so aggressively pushes you into failure spirals. Like, they literally spawn more enemies to send at you when you reinforce dead teammates. They want you to be very careful about dying.

The problem is not leaving and staying to fight the downward spiral. Bugs or Bots adding up? Just leave for now. People really really need to stop being stubborn. Just walk away, break contact, come back from a different angle a few minutes later if needed.

If you can't do that maybe stop wearing Fat Armor. Mobility saves lives and any armor heavier than light is not worth it IMHO.

LazyMaybe posted:

10 seconds later, hear gunfire and 'bug breach detected' pops up. they cannot help themselves

Don't help them fight. Leave and reinforce them at the next objective. If you aren't at the next objective yet throw the people ball it as far as you can towards the next objective and as far from where they died as possible. Don't be an enabler! Sometimes they get it. It's happened a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
An NPC just showed up in my game??

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

BitBasher posted:

The problem is not leaving and staying to fight the downward spiral. Bugs or Bots adding up? Just leave for now. People really really need to stop being stubborn. Just walk away, break contact, come back from a different angle a few minutes later if needed.

This is a real problem on Forni Prime. Due to the "tunnels through massive cave walls" map, patrols will all spawn and path to the same tunnel rather than across the map. So if you fight near those you can literally just have an infinite horde of patrols and breaches trap you in the tunnel.

I went around and did both subobjectives and a main objective while my 3 teammates were stuck in some intractable mire where they lost like 12 reinforcements or something crazy because they were in the perfect spot where patrols were spawning at the head of the tunnel. No one had the temerity to just punch through and get out of there so they ended up fighting and fighting and fighting.

I just went the long way around but did get in that same spot later in the mission and it was comical how many patrols were spawning (due to lots of objectives being complete) and how the map structure just boxed you in. I was wearing light recon armor so eventually I got enough space to run away but I could see pubbies getting absolutely shredded by it :shrug:

Griz
May 21, 2001

space uncle posted:

Dropped within 75m of shrieker nest and they promptly flew over and killed two of us instantly (before my backpack even landed). One guy got into his mech and the other guy then also died. Mech was able to take out the nest and shriekers and then the pilot called us back in.

I ran into a double nest on a level 5 and the arc thrower slaughtered them, and also my teammate who kept trying to run in front of me

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I lost out on 12 super samples, tons of rare/common samples, two good groups (one bad), and a bunch of medals. Games would crash 20-30 minutes in, usually right before extracting. 4/5 games ended with gently caress all to show for it, it's literally unplayable. I had maybe one or two crashes the entire time I had been playing prior.

Also, verifying files always shows a bad one that needs to be redownloaded. Yay!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

BitBasher posted:

If you can't do that maybe stop wearing Fat Armor. Mobility saves lives and any armor heavier than light is not worth it IMHO.

Don't help them fight. Leave and reinforce them at the next objective. If you aren't at the next objective yet throw the people ball it as far as you can towards the next objective and as far from where they died as possible. Don't be an enabler! Sometimes they get it. It's happened a couple times.

So much this, you can easily tell what fights you can or can't take. The most meta loadout in this entire game is simply leaving pointless fights using light armour and the stamina booster.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Hakarne posted:

I lost out on 12 super samples, tons of rare/common samples, two good groups (one bad), and a bunch of medals. Games would crash 20-30 minutes in, usually right before extracting. 4/5 games ended with gently caress all to show for it, it's literally unplayable. I had maybe one or two crashes the entire time I had been playing prior.

Also, verifying files always shows a bad one that needs to be redownloaded. Yay!

the random crashing is really starting to wear thin yeah, seems to be at least once any time I play that the game will poo poo the bed and I'll file an error report at the cost of samples or just missing out on finishing mission/op. much as I enjoy playing and can't wait for new content I'd rather they nail down stability first

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Had a crash today the moment I fired an EAT at a Bile Titan. If the games are consistently crashing after awhile it might be a memory leak with particle effects or just entities in general.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Played with 3 pubbies who all brought EATs and it ruled.

I wanted to bring them too but I was a team player and brought MG for trash clear. Did pick up several of the approx. 500 rocket launchers littered across the map though.

Every single charger and bile titan got deleted so fast.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I really want a piece of equipment that would let me designate targets for deployed turrets. Thatd be fun

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZeusCannon posted:

I really want a piece of equipment that would let me designate targets for deployed turrets. Thatd be fun

Turrets or the Javelin, that would be pretty sweet.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

explosivo posted:

battlefield 4 had this and it ruled.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WoodrowSkillson posted:

battlefield 4 had this and it ruled.

Sure did. I would also accept the Tracer Dart gun.

Edit: oh maybe that's what you meant lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

explosivo posted:

We're gonna get a laser targeted disposable rocket and a laser targeted deployable missile silo eventually they rule

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

johnny park posted:

Doesn't the map icon change to a different icon entirely when the POI is clear?

e:

pulled off google I'm 99.9% sure the diamond changes to that location-ish marker in the top right once it's clear. Has nothing do with the brackets

I swear this was patched in the past 2 weeks or something :confused:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

explosivo posted:

Sure did. I would also accept the Tracer Dart gun.

Edit: oh maybe that's what you meant lol

No i mean the laser designator that can bypass lock on time and grant lock on to weapons that normally don't have it.

Paint a titan so your buddy can just dumbfire the spear and it zooms right at it, or direct multiple sentries to all target the same thing.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Looks like 2 EATs can take out a flyer nest from range

EATs just keep getting better and better

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Aipsh posted:

There is some talk of a friendly dropship dropping soldiers into the field, along with a couple of YouTube clips of it. Could either be

A) janky test stuff

Or

B) bollocks people have made for YouTube.

What was the NPC like?!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Aipsh posted:

dont be so hard on yourself

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jerkface posted:

This is a real problem on Forni Prime. Due to the "tunnels through massive cave walls" map, patrols will all spawn and path to the same tunnel rather than across the map. So if you fight near those you can literally just have an infinite horde of patrols and breaches trap you in the tunnel.

I haven't played this map yet, but this seems like a perfect use case for the Arc thrower. Used right one person can consistently murder every single thing that comes out of a breech full stop, as long as it's not a bile titan. If it's a charger as long as you are far enough away it will kill the charger and everything around the charger before it gets to you.

As long as:

Griz posted:

I ran into a double nest on a level 5 and the arc thrower slaughtered them, and also my teammate who kept trying to run in front of me

Holy poo poo people need to learn not to run in front of a player with an arc thrower, flame thrower or to a lesser extent laser cannon.

Had a map last night where we split into pairs against bugs and me and my squaddie both had Arcs and EATs. It was silly simple as long as we stayed right next to each other. And there was no reason not to, because everything withing 40 yards of us died hard. Chargers were trivial without even using an EAT.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No i mean the laser designator that can bypass lock on time and grant lock on to weapons that normally don't have it.

Paint a titan so your buddy can just dumbfire the spear and it zooms right at it, or direct multiple sentries to all target the same thing.

The SOFLAM from battlefield in helldivers would be great fun. Free lock on &homing to the RR, EAT & spear. All turrets prioritize marked target, imagine being able to direct what the mortar fires at instead of it always targeting the enemies nearest your teammates :v:. Even sillier, have it work on eagle stratagems :hurr:.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there a way to manually log out on PS5 other than closing your game?

Winners never quit. Quitters never win.

(nope)

quote:

Sometimes every goddamn time the player’s loadout customizations will reset after restarting the game.

This is really annoying. I want to change my game settings (PS5) and I can’t and I also keep resetting to the default weaponry. I easily really hoping this patch would fix it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

... they fly now?

(USER WAS REPORTED TO THE DEMOCRACY OFFICER FOR THIS POST)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Doctor Zero posted:

This is really annoying. I want to change my game settings (PS5) and I can’t and I also keep resetting to the default weaponry. I easily really hoping this patch would fix it.

agreed, i really hoped it was going to get patched. having to reset my weapons everytime is irritating but the stupid tooltips popups as if im brand new is slowly driving me mad

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I wanna fight an evil helldivers insurgency that throws cluster bombs and mechs at us

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I got Starship-Troop'd by a flyer :(. Turns out they will still happily slice you in half with their bug corpse if they were mid dive when you kill em

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

causticBeet posted:

I wanna fight an evil helldivers insurgency that throws cluster bombs and mechs at us

Play with goons

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

Looks like 2 EATs can take out a flyer nest from range
It took me three, maybe one missed?

E: also the arc thrower is amazing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm hard stuck at level 7. Granted, it's because I'm poo poo. But also because my teammates are equally poo poo half the time. I also get chewed up and spat out so quickly by bugs, and none of my gear seems capable of taking on the incessant horde of titans and bile spewers. I'm level 18. Any advice?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
goddamn they ruined the mech with the rocket fix, it's impossible to aim now

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I swear this was patched in the past 2 weeks or something :confused:

No, it's always worked, but it's also always been semi-broken. If you get the Radar Station, it'll light up everything on the map as gems, but the only way to change the gem to a point is to collect all the samples. And some of the PoIs don't actually have any samples to collect, so there's no way to get them to change. Before I realized that, I probably wasted hours of my life if you count up all the times I've blown an extra 20 seconds running around those empty gems trying to figure out what else it could possibly want me to collect.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

hey mom its 420 posted:

EATs just keep getting better and better

EAT'ing good in the neighborhood

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Qubee posted:

I'm hard stuck at level 7. Granted, it's because I'm poo poo. But also because my teammates are equally poo poo half the time. I also get chewed up and spat out so quickly by bugs, and none of my gear seems capable of taking on the incessant horde of titans and bile spewers. I'm level 18. Any advice?

eat for charger, 500kg bomb for titans, laser dog and breaker for everything else. you can also bring a stalwart or grenade launcher as a secondary support weapon to use in between eat shots, although i like carrying one with me if i have any left over.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Qubee posted:

they're not a panacea, but several things become available at level 20+ that are helpful, like the shield generator pack, the ems mortar sentry, and the exosuit. in a similar vein you probably don't have things from various warbonds that are really good, like the combo of a stun grenade to make a titan stand still while you drop something huge on it, especially if it's an eagle stratagem like a 500 kg bomb that you have an extra use of before rearming due to the upgrade.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Qubee posted:

Play with goons. Maybe 7's aren't for you at this point. Maybe you have bad habits? It's impossible to know what are blockers for your progress without seeing what your doing in game.

I wouldn't sweat it that much. But playing with goons is going to help, either on the enjoyment side or progress side.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

gently caress man I'm playing with friends on comms and we're all 20+ and can't reliably beat 6's yet. It's a hard game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Qubee posted:

Just unlocked level 9 difficulty playing exclusively with pubs, and here's largely what I did:

I settled on the Breaker as primary, light +grenade armor (you need to buy it in the Superstore when the rotation comes around) with impact grenades, and EATs/laser rover/Eagle airstrike for my strategems. Before level 20 my 4th strategem switched between grenade launcher and rocket pods, but if you're struggling with bile spewers the grenade launcher is probably the way to go. If you get the Hangar Bay fully upgraded switch out the 4th strategem slot for 500kg bombs.

Also, at some point its worth it to just cut bait and run for it.

E: is there any reason to play on level 9? It seems way, way more stressful and likely to fail than 7s or 8s.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I have never played a game with "the game boots you out of a mission with 10 seconds left and you get nothing for the 30 minutes you just invested" as a common feature.

They don't even need to fix the crashing, they just need to come up with a way to not completely gently caress players out of their time like this.

Seems to be related to sound issues in my experience. All 3 times I've crashed, it's been preceded by weird sound outages and audio flickering.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

explosivo posted:

gently caress man I'm playing with friends on comms and we're all 20+ and can't reliably beat 6's yet. It's a hard game.

If you're dying to lil bugs, you should bring a laser drone

If you're dying to brood commanders, spewers, etc., you should bring grenade launcher and impact grenades

If you're dying to big bugs, you should bring orbital rail cannon / EATs

If you're dying to tanks/hulks, you should bring EMP poo poo and impact grenades

If you're dying to large amounts of robots swamping you, you should bring eagle airstrike/cluster bombs

If you're not having trouble killing things but you are having trouble not getting killed, bring shield generator pack

If you're unable to clear factories/nests, you should bring eagle airstrike (grenade launcher for bugs)

The perfect "standard deal with bugs" kit is probably laser drone/grenade launcher/orbital rail cannon/who gives a poo poo

The perfect "standard deal with bots" kit is probably shield generator/arc thrower/500 kg bomb/eagle air strike

I kinda wish they'd let me bring the ballistic shield (not buggy, and a bit better) as a replacement from my standard weapon so I can mostly just be a stratagem guy. It taking up a backpack slot is loving dumb for how bad it is

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gonna fully blame my friends on my inability to progress any further. Not trying to toot my own horn but I'm doing all that stuff already and am usually the last one alive and not repeatedly running around trying to get gear/two samples that dropped across the map. We're getting there I just need them to understand not everything they see has to die and it's okay if they have to go without their autocannon for 3 minutes and it's okay if that small base on it's own across the map doesn't get destroyed. It's not like XP means anything to us anymore :shrug: