Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're being really loving judgy about it though.

:v: "I want to do X"
:byodood: "Ew, why would you want that?! You sicko"
:v: "Because of reasons"
:byodood: "Well, uh, you do you. Weirdo. You should really not do that though."

People are allowed to perform outrage on a comedy forum, for fun, as part of a conversation, no one is really being particularly serious about it.

The point is that watching television isn't supposed to be about just speedrunning the plot points, it's the creation of a world and the telling of the story, and the natural pacing that the artists have chosen. The actors speak at specific speed, the directors and editors construct scenes with specific space to breathe, and the sum of all those choices is what humans have always enjoyed. It's one step away from listening to an album at 2 x speed. People are of course absolutely free to consume it however they want, but if you speed it up then you are ignoring this intention and stripping all that away, which is unusual, if not unsettlingly weird, and people are free to point this out.

I'll listen to some podcasts at 1.25 speed, or even 1.5 if the speakers can get away with it, because it's not an artistic endeavour and the point actually is to speedrun the plot points / news / information, and since it's not a visual medium it's not too unnatural.

edit -

Oh yeah and the snake thing almost certainly has something to do with this:

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe it's a biblical thing as well? The snake in the garden of Eden being persuasive.

Which almost certainly has something to do with the witchcraft-ian way they move.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

What if OP is just watching reality tv at 2x speed. Nothing of value is gained by watching it at the "directors carefully constructed pacing" or whatever.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mak0rz posted:

It's funny, but not the original ending. This was added like a hundred years ago as a satirical take on it. The original "slow and steady wins the race" version everyone knows goes all the way back to Aesop of ancient Greece.

Makes sense, Indian “fairytales” do tend to have a much more realistic moral so it tracks they would change it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'd also be interested in doing an MRI scan / blood pressure test / heart rate monitor / whatever after watching movies at 2x speed. Just the thought of it stresses me out.

Inceltown posted:

What if OP is just watching reality tv

straight to jail

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

My college roommate lived up in Vermont. He had a "deaf"" friend (I don't know if this the correct way to describe any of this these days, and no malice is intended) who taught me a little bit of sign language.

We went to visit him at his college that either was for entirely deaf or hard of hearing people.

I tried to sign at a very cute girl. She engaged me for a minute and then just started breaking up laughing and signing very quickly at my friend, in a way I couldn't keep up with, and she started laughing.

I asked him WTF she was staying. Turns out when I try to sign I "talk with a lisp".

I have four and a half fingers on my left (previously dominant) hand.

I couldn't even be mad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I want to be clear, if Bucky is on your side then you've made a grievous error in judgment.

Watch TV at whatever speed and in whatever way that you enjoy and gently caress the haters.

Ironhead posted:

My college roommate lived up in Vermont. He had a "deaf"" friend (I don't know if this the correct way to describe any of this these days, and no malice is intended) who taught me a little bit of sign language.

We went to visit him at his college that either was for entirely deaf or hard of hearing people.

I tried to sign at a very cute girl. She engaged me for a minute and then just started breaking up laughing and signing very quickly at my friend, in a way I couldn't keep up with, and she started laughing.

I asked him WTF she was staying. Turns out when I try to sign I "talk with a lisp".

I have four and a half fingers on my left (previously dominant) hand.

I couldn't even be mad.

This is hilarious, my younger brother was born with a lot of congenital issues including extreme hearing loss (later mostly undone with cochlear implants) so we learned sign language as kids because he went to a school for kids with various issues. The proper way to refer to them is Deaf. With the capital D indicating a person who is deaf, and lower case d referring to the audiological status/disability. I believe Blind works the same way. Hearing impaired and visually impaired are seen as dismissive and focusing on their divergence from the 'norm' rather than just them as a person.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why is it that when you spill something sugary, the dried residue is sticky? Granulated sugar isn't sticky. Powdered sugar I guess kind of sticks to things, but it won't hold things together. Like, you can get powdered sugar on a finger, press that finger to something, and won't feel any resistance when you pull the finger away. So what gives?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
The water makes the sugar molecules stick together in big long chains that stick to stuff even after the water's mostly dried up. I think you have to use a bit of acid and heat to get it back into powder form.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

It's also hygroscopic, so likes to pull additional moisture from the atmosphere

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So the process would be something like this, then?

1. semi-dry sugary sludge on a surface
2. I touch the sludge
3. sludge tries to suck up water on my skin or shoe or whatever, pulling sugar molecules onto me
4. when I pull away, hydrogen bonds between sugar molecules on me and sugar molecules on the surface create a resisting force

?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I think thats basically right, there might be a little bit of van der wals adhesion involved to help it stick to dry objects without much water on them but it's mostly just water being the universal solvent and being present basically everywhere.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 24, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I want to be clear, if Bucky is on your side then you've made a grievous error in judgment.

What on earth are you talking about

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Are there any half decent ai photo restoration tools out there that someone with no Photoshop skills could use? I got sent some old film scans of my Dad when he was young, but they're a bit spotty. It'd be great if I could clean them up a bit somehow.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What's up with all these spam pages on Facebook where there's a whole bunch of presumably fake accounts going "amen" to AI-generated images?

It's very specific and I don't understand what the intended business model is, if they're somehow making money off it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's not a business model, it's an attempt to create a new god.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

bee posted:

Are there any half decent ai photo restoration tools out there that someone with no Photoshop skills could use? I got sent some old film scans of my Dad when he was young, but they're a bit spotty. It'd be great if I could clean them up a bit somehow.

There's plenty of people you could talk to who enjoy doing restoration work, without resorting to AI.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

two fish posted:

What's up with all these spam pages on Facebook where there's a whole bunch of presumably fake accounts going "amen" to AI-generated images?

It's very specific and I don't understand what the intended business model is, if they're somehow making money off it.

They will start sending people to a page full of ads or dropshipped crap once they have enough followers.

And they won't do that by posting a link to their timeline. They'll post a picture, with the link in the first (pinned) reply, because FB prioritizes image posts an deprioritizes link posts

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bee posted:

Topaz makes a good suite for $$$.

You could probably get away with some basic tweaks in lightroom though, and that would only cost you the subscription for as long as you're manipulating the images.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

two fish posted:

My understanding is that the type of person that replies "amen" to your incredibly fake AI image can be added to a list that get sold to organized scammers.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How many of these are actually people, and how many of them are just bots?

When you come to think of it it's pretty unnerving to see AI creating itself a new messiah in Shrimp Jesus who is taken care of on the glowing airplane by specifically Asian flight attendants.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the most recent example i saw was some group called "native american culture" that was apparently originally about selling jewelry but has now been taken over by ai-generated pictures of old ladies holding birthday cakes, which are being posted roughly every 5-10 minutes and have many encouraging 1-2 word boomer style comments. there are no links to anything. its just a flood of the stuff. seems almost like a weird form of slow ddos attack but its happening everywhere, just all kind of spaces on the internet filling up with sludge. dead internet theory i guess

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If those pages get enough engagement they can sell them and now it looks like people really love whatever crap the buyer is pushing.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Another variant I'll see are the bot/boomer/both accounts all going "wow amazing" to AI photos of African children in villages building highly improbable devices out of trash. Just endless AI sludge with endless praise.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
The "emails from an rear end in a top hat" comment section was like this 10 years ago, just a wasteland of bots reguritating back and forth into each other.
I Love The Future !

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

two fish posted:

Another variant I'll see are the bot/boomer/both accounts all going "wow amazing" to AI photos of African children in villages building highly improbable devices out of trash. Just endless AI sludge with endless praise.

wow amazing

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Paladinus posted:

wow amazing

Amen

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

🤣😭🙏

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Earwicker posted:

🤣😭🙏

#Blessed

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Hello dear, I think you are very lovely and have been trying to send you tapeworms. Please kindly send me a friend request 😘🙏🫦

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

░L░I░N░K░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

SkyeAuroline posted:

There's plenty of people you could talk to who enjoy doing restoration work, without resorting to AI.

Cool cool I'm open to this, where do I find them?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bee posted:

Cool cool I'm open to this, where do I find them?

SA-Mart. “Someone please help me restore this photo for :10bux:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My family (myself, husband and small child) moved into my parents basement this last week. We are preparing to sell our house which should go on the market in May and I would think sell pretty quickly. Either way, the goal is to sell it, put the money in savings and find the right place for us, and then buy something new. I don't know if I will be at my mom's house for a few months or close to a year.

We changed our mailing address through USPS so we are getting our mail here. But the question I had is, should I go ahead and change our legal address on everything we have (bank, licenses, all accounts everywhere etc) or should I not do this and wait until we buy a new house? It would be a pain in the rear end to do twice but if I am supposed to do it I'm more than happy to do so. I just don't know what the best choice is in this case.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Your address with your bank etc should definitely be somewhere you live or can at least get mail, and not a house you don't live in anymore where some strangers live

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i told my bank that i wanted to "go paperless" many years ago so i do all my normal bank stuff online, they know how to send me text messages if they need to do a fraud alert, and also they have a whole internal online messaging system that they've never used except once just to tell me that the system exists.

nonetheless some other department in the bank decided they needed some important tax info from me or else they'd close my account and the only way this was communicated to me at all was on a literal piece of paper sent via snail mail from another state, that i did not find until i came back from a long trip and which had information i definitely would not want in the hands of some rando. so yeah unfortunately its good to stay on top of that stuff

the dmv wants you to update your address within 10 days. if you get pulled over or something its usually not a big deal tho but if you are changing states i'd do it sooner rather than later. if you just moved to another city i wouldnt worry a out it as much.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 22, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

My family (myself, husband and small child) moved into my parents basement this last week. We are preparing to sell our house which should go on the market in May and I would think sell pretty quickly. Either way, the goal is to sell it, put the money in savings and find the right place for us, and then buy something new. I don't know if I will be at my mom's house for a few months or close to a year.

We changed our mailing address through USPS so we are getting our mail here. But the question I had is, should I go ahead and change our legal address on everything we have (bank, licenses, all accounts everywhere etc) or should I not do this and wait until we buy a new house? It would be a pain in the rear end to do twice but if I am supposed to do it I'm more than happy to do so. I just don't know what the best choice is in this case.
Update everything now. You can be lazy about it when you move again if your parents will be able to collect any mail for you that goes to their house, but you don't want something important to go to your old address after your mail forwarding expires or because it was sent using something other than USPS.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks all - will update then, good idea.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I almost had a Very Very Bad Day when I moved states and a year later hadn’t updated my DMV or any other information. My address on file was my parents so mail sent there would eventually get to me but the cop who pulled me over was not happy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I almost had a Very Very Bad Day when I moved states and a year later hadn’t updated my DMV or any other information. My address on file was my parents so mail sent there would eventually get to me but the cop who pulled me over was not happy.
If you had your parents' address listed couldn't you just tell them that that's your permanent address and you were just in the state temporarily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mystes posted:

If you had your parents' address listed couldn't you just tell them that that's your permanent address and you were just in the state temporarily?

I didn’t really when time to give it much thought in the heat of the moment. They were kind of aggressive because they thought they were getting me for a DUI since I was leaving a bar and swerved around a little because I was lost but I hadn’t actually drank. And the states were not close at all (east coast vs west coast) and I had already moved most stuff over, just not anything with the DMV. They ended up just giving me a fix it ticket to register my car in state, which considering my registration in the other state was like 2 years out of date was not bad.

Edit: yes of course I’m white