Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's kind of funny that the only thing they changed with the arc thrower was counting its shots and kills correctly and that somehow crashes the game. Don't use it until it's fixed I guess.

Reiley posted:

Do you guys tend to shoot in 1st or 3rd person? I have been shooting in 1st for everything but once I realized how the 3rd person barrel position crosshairs worked it's felt a lot easier to shoot more things faster, and maybe 1st person is for far away things?
I rarely use first person with bugs but constantly use it against bots since their weak points and range encourage precision weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I survived the severed wing of a dead flying bug gently brushing across my shoulder with 10% health left. I'm the toughest motherfucker in the galaxy.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Vanguard Warden posted:

...people tend to run away from big swarms rather than sticking in and clearing poo poo out...

this is the correct thing to do though. staying and fighting over empty land is pointless and the main reason ive seen missions go sideways. always leave a fight unless its on your objective. some times with the bots theyll even call in a dropship back where the fight started and theyll just stand around while preventing another dropship call for another minute or so at the objective.

Kly fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 21, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Reiley posted:

Do you guys tend to shoot in 1st or 3rd person? I have been shooting in 1st for everything but once I realized how the 3rd person barrel position crosshairs worked it's felt a lot easier to shoot more things faster, and maybe 1st person is for far away things?

3rd person all the way. Find it much easier to use the circle than any of the gunsights.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Hey, whoever at Arrowhead decided that the Complex Stratagem modifier should double extraction shuttle call-down time too: Go gently caress yourself

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Reiley posted:

Most things I shoot in third person while aiming. The Arc I shoot from the hip occasionally because aiming isn't too important but the timing is easier when aiming because of the charge indicator.

Pretty much only the Slugger I use half the time in ADS with the scope.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really haven't been having much crashing at all, weirdly. I've been having overheating issues that freeze the game up for a few seconds but my game hasn't straight up crashed in a while. Not saying it doesn't happen, it's just weird how inconsistent it seems to be across hardware since it seems like a lot of people are crashing often.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Reiley posted:

i find first person easier for heavy recoil guns like the knight and longer range shooting

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Hey, whoever at Arrowhead decided that the Complex Stratagem modifier should double extraction shuttle call-down time too: Go gently caress yourself

Its def dumb

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there a goon discord for single goon divers looking for fellow liberty lovers in their area?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

https://discord.com/invite/fHmzuHSHV8

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the double length extracts are the best part of the call in time increaser imo, helps change up the mission

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Most things I shoot in third person while aiming. The Arc I shoot from the hip occasionally because aiming isn't too important but the timing is easier when aiming because of the charge indicator.

Pretty much only the Slugger I use half the time in ADS with the scope.

you can change the settings so the crosshair always appears and you can get the charge indicator when hip-firing.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Schwawa posted:

you can change the settings so the crosshair always appears and you can get the charge indicator when hip-firing.

Oh poo poo, really? Thanks!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Any tips for level 6 difficulty? I’m running light stealth armor, the punisher, the smg sidearm plus usually a turret strat, orbital laser, EAT, and the laser dog. I just get swarmed and killed constantly and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do. Definitely will never be able to play 7 at this rate for the super materials…I just want to upgrade my sentries!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Third unless I'm supporting a helldiver from far away and then first if i have a good scope.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Any tips for level 6 difficulty? I’m running light stealth armor, the punisher, the smg sidearm plus usually a turret strat, orbital laser, EAT, and the laser dog. I just get swarmed and killed constantly and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do. Definitely will never be able to play 7 at this rate for the super materials…I just want to upgrade my sentries!

I'd swap out the turret for an orbital that can handle swarms. Turrets get dogpiled and destroyed at 6+

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

6 is the worst difficulty. It feels almost identical to 7 but no samples.

I presume playing solo. IMO you should switch to the Slugger; with the laser drone taking care of chaff, the slugger serves to more efficiently take out tough targets like devastators and hive guards. Try using impact grenades to clear things quickly, after all you have the whole maps worth of ammo. Wasting grenades to clear bugs before they can breach is rarely actually a waste, and they are superb for immediately murdering bot drops and spewers. It does take practice to kill bot factories and bug holes with impacts but it is worth the effort to learn.

You do have a shortage of orbital firepower. I can't say the laser is the wrong choice really, but it might not be the best one if you can manage to take out chargers with EATs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dandywalken posted:

Its def dumb
i'd be fine with 3 minutes but yeah 4 is a bit much

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Several messages from their discord overnight

Baskinator posted:

We have deployed some fixes to the game backend to address the following issues:
Eagle kill stats should now increase as expected.
Missions Completed stats no longer count twice per mission.
We have done three related fixes for friend invites that should resolve some of the issues with inviting friends. You will need to log out and log back in for it to take effect.

Baskinator posted:

A message for @everyone from the Game Master
"Helldivers!
We're aware of an issue with the Galactic War not tracking your effective spread of Liberty properly.

We are investigating this urgently and will keep you posted as soon as we understand the issue and have a fix to communicate to you.

Thanks very much for your patience while we squash some software bugs."

Twinbeard posted:

A lot of info now, Helldivers, but too much is better than the opposite.

We know that many of you are experience a lot of crashes at the moment (seemingly linked to the patch deployed earlier today, which at least resolved the persistent friend request issue for a lot of players). Our team is deep down in the trenches digging into the issue as we speak. We are on alert ready to update on any changes here. We're very sorry @everyone for not being able to supply you with the glorious feeling of bug and bot stomping and hope to have the game more stable as soon as possible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BitBasher posted:

:eng101: the 10% damage happens when you shoot any big squishy jelly like bits that you can see goo flying off when you hit. This is the asses of Chargers, bodies of Nurse and Bile Spewers and the sacs of Titans
Also seems to apply to tank/turret vents, which die far far faster to explosive tagged scorcher shots than to non-explosive tagged slugger shots.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Your loadout is fine, it sounds more like you need to work on your positioning.

Sometimes you end up surrounded and swarmed and there's not a lot you can do but for the most part you should be able to avoid getting in that situation in the first place.

If bugs are closing in faster than you can kill them then start running the other direction, your laser dog will thin out the pursuers and hopefully give you enough space to pick off a few more with your primary and then start running again. Rinse and repeat until everything is dead or you finish the mission.

If that doesn't work then you're not running soon enough.

Standing still is death, remember: Always Be Cmoving

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

6 is the worst difficulty. It feels almost identical to 7 but no samples.

I presume playing solo. IMO you should switch to the Slugger; with the laser drone taking care of chaff, the slugger serves to more efficiently take out tough targets like devastators and hive guards. Try using impact grenades to clear things quickly, after all you have the whole maps worth of ammo. Wasting grenades to clear bugs before they can breach is rarely actually a waste, and they are superb for immediately murdering bot drops and spewers. It does take practice to kill bot factories and bug holes with impacts but it is worth the effort to learn.

You do have a shortage of orbital firepower. I can't say the laser is the wrong choice really, but it might not be the best one if you can manage to take out chargers with EATs.

I don't know, 7 occasionally gets super rough. Last lobby I had they brought 3 mortars (not EMS either), two AMRs, all the strafing runs, and some 500kgs on a map that had the 50% delay for call-ins on a bug E710 mission. It did not go well. I was the only one who brought any kind of anti-armor besides 500kg bombing runs, and one person dropping EATs like mad just doesn't cut it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Please start off by telling me you're not trying to play solo?

If you are maybe stop and quick play with pubbies or join goon games. This is not designed to be a single player game and it doesn't reduce spawns or enemy health much, if at all, because you are alone. It's meant for 4 players. Playing alone is just ratcheting up that difficulty level.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Standing still is death, remember: Always Be Cmoving

Always be Cowardly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Always Be Cshmoovin

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know, 7 occasionally gets super rough. Last lobby I had they brought 3 mortars (not EMS either)

Ravenfood posted:

It did not go well.

Those two bits alone are usually and effect, and enough to cause a pile of teamkills against bugs and have things go to poo poo.

Regular explosive mortars are bad and an aggressively bad idea to bring to bugs the vast majority of the time IMHO.

It's enough that if I drop into a game and I see somebody using a normal mortar against bugs, I strongly consider backing out and just finding a different game

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I use 110 rocket pods occasionally since 500kg is so unreliable unless you're good at timing it and they are just so disappointing. I've never seen them actually kill a charger (which is okay) but half the time they don't even break any armor.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Sindai posted:

I use 110 rocket pods occasionally since 500kg is so unreliable unless you're good at timing it and they are just so disappointing. I've never seen them actually kill a charger (which is okay) but half the time they don't even break any armor.

They can definitely kill the charger but timing is an issue. They seem to kill the charger or at least screw it up really bad a lot more of the time if you time the hits so it hits while the charger is not moving. So like while it's rotating to line up on you or after it hits a wall or something. It takes some getting used to. Even then they're just serviceable. Still not really good in my opinion

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah staying mobile is really king against bugs, and a combo of using as much cover as possible while staying the hell out of the line of fire of rockets is clutch against bots.

I spent the last few bug missions really enjoying orbital airburst strike. Tossing it right on top of a bug breach a few seconds after it starts is like a guaranteed 30-45 kills and really really helps thing out the heard. Let's you instantly start moving away and allow you to focus on any chargers or bile titans that pop up with or around the breach.

Reiley posted:

Mostly third person but every once in a while I'll go first person for slugger shots. I like it's sight more than most of the rest and it can feel a little off at mid range and longer in third person. I think people talked about this several pages ago but it has a little bit of sway while pumping after every shot that might not really show that much in third person but is really obvious in first person. The steam coming off of the sickle is also really noticeable in first person but I don't use first person for it that often, not against bugs at least. AMR and Railgun are almost always first person, AC too but I'm still learning how to democratically apply the AC.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
500kg is alright but complex stratagem planning makes eagles pretty hard to use. Today I hit 3 chargers in a patrol using a 500kg, 1 kill outright and 2 bleeding out. Definitely a rare case :v:

If you see people bringing lots of turrets and 380mm on high level bugs just back out of the game, they will simply get overwhelmed by heavies and elites. There’s only so much you can do if they are purposely weak against armour. I mean I try to save them most of the time but if they burn through half the reinforcements in 5 minutes because of maybe 5 heavies at once, they’re simply over their head.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How is the rocket turret, I feel like I've never seen anyone mention it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

There's no way we're making this current major order, Zagon Prime still isn't even selectable. Sad too, Fori Prime is a lot of fun.

Here's hoping we get some neat bug development following it's failure.

I'm off to practice shooting bots with the AC some more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I actually really like it when combined with the gatling turret on fixed defence missions against bugs (like the recent TCS tower one). Together, they'll absolutely lock down an invasion lane, especially when combined with a minefield to knock around Chargers, while you can use the support weapon of your choice to help out your friends elsewhere.

For bots, the ideal combo is an autocannon turret and mortar turret, since they engage at longer range and tend to use medium-armoured wolfpacks rather than an even mix of lightly-armoured trash and heavily-armoured linebreakers. Just use your own autocannon to blast any melee enemies you see before they close in enough to give you friendly fire problems.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 21, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

it only shoots 8 shots, apparently

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

FunkyFjord posted:

There's no way we're making this current major order, Zagon Prime still isn't even selectable. Sad too, Fori Prime is a lot of fun.

Here's hoping we get some neat bug development following it's failure.

I'm off to practice shooting bots with the AC some more.

Apparently poo poo is broke and progress isn't being counted. It was up to 15%, player numbers on planet increased dramatically but progress still declined to 10% where it's stayed frozen. Who knows how they'll remedy this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

it only shoots 8 shots, apparently

Really? I could swear my rocket turrets have had more staying power than that, even before buying the ammo upgrade.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? I could swear my rocket turrets have had more staying power than that, even before buying the ammo upgrade.

I thought it was around 12. Not enough without ship modules whatever it is, that's for sure.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BlackIronHeart posted:

I thought it was around 12. Not enough without ship modules whatever it is, that's for sure.

I pray that the other turrets become as cool as they deserve. I pray harder they don't nerf the stun mortars/ "We buffed ECM damage!.... against players" fire and gas patch style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

Actually, on that note how to 110s do against bile titans? On Fori hitting a titan with a 500kg is a crapshoot with the longer call-in time, so might as well try rockets. If it takes two rounds to kill them that's at least a faster cooldown than the orbital railcannon, and a huge advantage to the rocket if they weaken it enough that an EAT can finish it off.110s on Chargers just feels bad though.

Also, why do railcannons sometimes one-shot bile Titans but not always?