Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrox posted:

pain retail

:hmmyes:

e: oh snap it's a snipe

dad is being a total drama queen about this car purchase. Yesterday he spent half an hour telling me about the various unnecessary phone calls he had made because one guy mentioned in passing that maybe you couldn't get the tax credit if you the car owner is a trust. People qualified to comment on such things all told him you could, but it wasn't enough, so now he's having them modify the purchase agreement.

I don't understand how but he managed to turn a 2 day process into a 1 week process requiring dozens of phone calls and hours in call queues. I guess it's pretty on brand for him.

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

El Grillo posted:

I'm trying to work out whether the Tesla home charger is a 'smart' charger of the type that (UK utilities) Octopus Energy / Ovo want for their more complicated EV tariffs. The chargers that do work with those tariffs are things like Zappi, and the Ohm Pro. Is there actually much or any difference in terms of functionality vs Tesla home charger?

(my partner likes the look of the Tesla one and the price is the same as other types of charger it seems, otherwise I would just go with Ohm/Zappi)

The chargers that utilities wants here are ones with OCPP (https://www.ampeco.com/guides/complete-ocpp-guide/) so that they can have exact metrics on usage and in certain cases being able to throttle charging in high usage times. Tesla home chargers don't expose that protocol AFAIK.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I guess GM has enabled the ability to plug in and charge with some providers and not have to tap an app/card or whatever but man talk about horrible UI to enable this in the app.

You have to go to the my<Car Manufacturer> app, go to the map for some reason then tap the 3 dots at the top beside the search bar and select "Public charging services". Then that brings up a big list of companies that run chargers and some have a "Plug and charge" option that you can select which then brings you to an enrolement page where you can sign on to that network with your user credentials. I never would have figured that out without some googling.

Also disappointingly it's only enabled for level 3 chargers for some reason. I have no idea why they wouldn't also enable it on level 2 chargers? At least that's the case for EVgo in canada. I don't know about other networks.

Also also, now when I try to open the app it won't even load the maps for me. Not sure if it's getting slammed with people setting this up or if it's just a temporary issue or what.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Squibbles posted:

I guess GM has enabled the ability to plug in and charge with some providers and not have to tap an app/card or whatever but man talk about horrible UI to enable this in the app.

You have to go to the my<Car Manufacturer> app, go to the map for some reason then tap the 3 dots at the top beside the search bar and select "Public charging services". Then that brings up a big list of companies that run chargers and some have a "Plug and charge" option that you can select which then brings you to an enrolement page where you can sign on to that network with your user credentials. I never would have figured that out without some googling.

Also disappointingly it's only enabled for level 3 chargers for some reason. I have no idea why they wouldn't also enable it on level 2 chargers? At least that's the case for EVgo in canada. I don't know about other networks.

Also also, now when I try to open the app it won't even load the maps for me. Not sure if it's getting slammed with people setting this up or if it's just a temporary issue or what.

ISO 15118 is a giant clusterfuck on both car and charger alike, which is why rarely level 2 chargers implement it. After all if you are going to plug your car for several hours, the classic card tap or app isn't adding much time.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

cross-posting:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I love it. Trading in a very-underwater loan, and 10.65% APR. Good life choices.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They probably won't want that car for the whole 7 year loan term, but at least they'll be able to roll it over into a mortgage-sized loan on the next one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

@@ I'm missing something because it looks like they somehow paid $107k for a Kia

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cruft posted:

@@ I'm missing something because it looks like they somehow paid $107k for a Kia

They owed like $25k on the vehicle they traded in.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cruft posted:

EV9s top out at $75k. That plus the APR of 10.65% makes me think something isn't kosher with this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't think the EV9s are really worth their MSRPs, seems too expensive and is encroaching on acura and even low end BMW x5 territory. I guess being the only 3 row EV they get to set the price for now. Too drat much for a kia though.

My kia is about 9 years old now and is starting to rattle to pieces and I would never want to keep one beyond 7 years again I don't think

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

priznat posted:

I guess being the only 3 row EV they get to set the price for now. Too drat much for a kia though.

They're not the only one, but like their competition is something like the R1S and Model X so

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
k-k-k-Kia Pet!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

priznat posted:

I guess being the only 3 row EV they get to set the price for now.

:sigh:

Ford just announced that they're delaying their 3-row EV. I have my fingers crossed that the Pacifica BEV actually happens next year. My wife's car is getting a bit dead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

gwrtheyrn posted:

They're not the only one, but like their competition is something like the R1S and Model X so

Oh yeah they still manage to be the cheapest one somehow lol

I still never think of the model X as a 3 row because of its weird jellybean shape

Harveygod posted:

:sigh:

Ford just announced that they're delaying their 3-row EV. I have my fingers crossed that the Pacifica BEV actually happens next year. My wife's car is getting a bit dead.

I'm probably going to be replacing my 2016 kia sorento but it's my wife's call and she doesn't want an EV yet anyway, so looking at something like a highlander or pilot or possibly acura mdx. She doesn't want a minivan either :sigh:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

priznat posted:

Oh yeah they still manage to be the cheapest one somehow lol

I still never think of the model X as a 3 row because of its weird jellybean shape

I mean from what i've seen of the model x 3rd row you can barely call it one unless you're just out of a booster seat.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Deteriorata posted:

EV9s top out at $75k. That plus the APR of 10.65% makes me think something isn't kosher with this.

10.65% is probably really an 8.65% buy rate from the bank and if its an 84 month loan its an outside bank.

That its kind of what non subvented financing rates are at these days for someone with ok credit on that sort of term.

Still wild that the bank would approve someone with $0 down on a 107k loan that's worth at most $79k at MSRP. Thought I guess its only 135% of the MSRP but still.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Allegedly a stop sale on Hyundai / Genesis eGMP and similar vehicles for the ICCU issues in the U.S., following similar action in Korea last week. Kia to follow?

Recall for sure, it's recall 257 for Hyundai / Genesis.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

We own a Telluride and I would love to have that as an EV which is essentially what the EV9 is, but I’m not paying 80k for it or whatever.

I’ll give it a few more years and get a larger electric suv.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

No Butt Stuff posted:

We own a Telluride and I would love to have that as an EV which is essentially what the EV9 is, but I’m not paying 80k for it or whatever.

I’ll give it a few more years and get a larger electric suv.

It starts at about $60k

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean from what i've seen of the model x 3rd row you can barely call it one unless you're just out of a booster seat.

Are you sure youre thinking of the Model X because that has way more space than teh Model Y and the Y 3rd-row option is well known for being only fit for amputees

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Allegedly a stop sale on Hyundai / Genesis eGMP and similar vehicles for the ICCU issues in the U.S., following similar action in Korea last week. Kia to follow?

Recall for sure, it's recall 257 for Hyundai / Genesis.

10 days between buying my I6 and a recall, fantastic. Earliest appointment is in a month for me.

here's the site where you can enter your VIN.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

3rd row in a Y is a joke/deathtrap. In the X it is merely comically cramped. It’s better in the 6 seater than the 7 since you can put your legs in the aisle.

My lyriq does not have a 3rd row, but the second row is extremely roomy. Such a fine drat car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

They let you roll the negative equity from purchasing new cars, then selling them for less than the loan amount, into new car loans. It appears this Kia purchaser has done so to the tune of $30-45k.

I knew guys in the military who had six figure loans on $50k trucks, it gives me anxiety by proxy just thinking about it.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I doubt it'll be more than any other luxury EV.

What am I missing here? What maintenance is needed on any EV in first maintenance that is costly?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
The payment to keep the dealership happy with the manufacturer

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The dealership keeps emailing me to come in to get my Bolt "serviced".

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ubiquitus posted:

What am I missing here? What maintenance is needed on any EV in first maintenance that is costly?

I think when the OP said maintenance they meant repairs out of warranty on wear-and-tear like the air suspension needing to be replaced or something like that, but every luxury car with those kind of features have the same issue.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

After a month and a half of our id4 being at a body shop from someone hitting our rear driver door, driving a mix of Ram 1500, JEEP compass, and Ford Ranger, we finally have our car back. The car was gone so long that our last power bill was 2/3 less. Glad to have it back because having a big rear end truck in the city was not fun.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Elviscat posted:

The dealership keeps emailing me to come in to get my Bolt "serviced".

lol same. Also I just got a piece of physical mail saying it's time for my 18,000 mile service for the special price of $250. I've got around 8600 miles on it (purchased Oct 2022)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

They owed like $25k on the vehicle they traded in.

..And told the sales weasel "I want my monthly payment as low as possible."

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lol same. Also I just got a piece of physical mail saying it's time for my 18,000 mile service for the special price of $250. I've got around 8600 miles on it (purchased Oct 2022)

So a tire rotation and maybe a dust filter for the cabin then. Does the manual require any further maintenance?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

They let you roll the negative equity from purchasing new cars, then selling them for less than the loan amount, into new car loans. It appears this Kia purchaser has done so to the tune of $30-45k.

I knew guys in the military who had six figure loans on $50k trucks, it gives me anxiety by proxy just thinking about it.

I don't want to belabor this but is there some extra backstory that provides this detail or am I utterly missing something in the photo?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Frank Dillinger posted:

So a tire rotation and maybe a dust filter for the cabin then. Does the manual require any further maintenance?

Dunno- I just ordered a Bosch filter to do the second thing myself. I DO need to replace the passenger side mirror though (just the actual mirror, all the mechanisms are fine). I ordered a replacement part for that as well but it has different wiring attachment points 😑

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cruft posted:

I don't want to belabor this but is there some extra backstory that provides this detail or am I utterly missing something in the photo?

The photo is an example of someone who thinks it's a good idea to trade in a car that's worth $30k less than the remaining principal balance on their current car loan, so they have to add that much to the new loan when buying the Kia. It happens more often than you might think.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cruft posted:

MSRP + TTL is like 85k on the EV9 for a check-every-box car. The buyer took out a loan for 107K (the Amount Financed box). That means they either have a neggy eggy roll or there's a big ADM or both, and EV9s don't have ADMs right now, so it's a big fat neggy eggy roll at minimum for ~$22K

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MSRP + TTL is like 85k on the EV9 for a check-every-box car. The buyer took out a loan for 107K (the Amount Financed box). That means they either have a neggy eggy roll or there's a big ADM or both, and EV9s don't have ADMs right now, so it's a big fat neggy eggy roll at minimum for ~$22K

okay, makes sense. I guess I just didn't understand how everybody knew it wasn't a $22k-$45k dealer markup, like, really good floor mats and a deluxe EVSE and tires inflated with radon.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

okay, makes sense. I guess I just didn't understand how everybody knew it wasn't a $22k-$45k dealer markup, like, really good floor mats and a deluxe EVSE and tires inflated with radon.

It's just not very likely in the current market, unless the proud new owner is the world's worst bargainer, EVs aren't seeing huge markups like the days of yore.

I want Radon filled tires.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

After a month and a half of our id4 being at a body shop from someone hitting our rear driver door, driving a mix of Ram 1500, JEEP compass, and Ford Ranger, we finally have our car back. The car was gone so long that our last power bill was 2/3 less. Glad to have it back because having a big rear end truck in the city was not fun.

We were lucky enough that ours was drivable, so we just kept it until parts came in, we also dropped it off right before vacation, and plan on picking it up Saturday, immediately after, so we didn't have to do without.

It was a bit uncomfortable to drive at night with the lazy eye for a headlight.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I somehow made it through a 2 hour long Out Of Spec video.. They ran 4 EV trucks until they died on the highway.

(they give the results at the start of the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZXBRGw7jUA

I didn't realize the Silverado EV had such a large battery.. 212kWh! Cybertruck matched Tesla's stated range.

They had 50kW diesel generator and an Autel DC Faster charger on a trailer for rescuing the dead vehicles....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

My perception of the state of the EVs in the U.S.
Tesla: The value proposition seems to be declining, but still the best value currently? With the opening of the supercharger network to others, it seems like Tesla being the ‘clear choice’ as it kinda was previously, is no longer true. CEO, both from political and management perspective is a significant negative. I don’t consider FSD as a real thing, so no advantage there, and the base autopilot, while pretty good, seems to be on par with other systems now. Still has the best software overall maybe?

Model 3: New version is kinda better but is flawed with no stalks. This is pretty much a deal killer for me and others. Still a pretty good value tho, if you can deal with it?
Model Y: Pretty popular, good value, doesn’t have the stalk-less design yet. Seems like the current ‘default’ choice.
Model X and S: Seems like they’ve been eclipsed in their space by other options.
Cybertruck: When this was pitched (awfully I might add, I’m still stunned at how bad that presentation was) I thought the key advantage was cost per unit range, and a low cost version. This has not panned out, at all, and looking at it, I don’t think it ever will. So beyond clout chasing, I’m not sure the type of buyer that wants one of these over a F150 Lightning or a R1T.

VW: I am not sure what the heck is going on with them. Seems like the ID4 is ok, I see lots of them around in my area, but it’s not super compelling with a bunch of annoyances that owners talk about – software, buttons, dash lights. Overall though, seems like the primary alternative to the Model Y, and seems it might have better build quality, but no real key feature that is better than the Y. Still they were supposed to be all-in on electric as a company, but still only have 1 ev model in the US? Weak. I think my main issue is that they seem super slow to introduce the cars that people want? Where is the ID Buzz? – we’re nearly in Q2 2024, I guess the ID 7 is coming, maybe? Will the wagon come to the U.S.? Who knows? Really wanted to buy a VW when I was in the market in 2019, but no dice, and they have not done much since.

Rivian: I hope they make it. I’m very interested in the proposed models, particularly the R3. Owners I’ve talked to seem to really like the R1T and R1S. Fingers crossed they’re around when I’m ready to buy again.

Ford: Both their offerings seem pretty decent, but I don’t know the key value if the Mach E over the Model Y other than the CEO problem, and it seems to be more expensive than the Y. Was really interested in the V2H stuff in the F150L, but it seems like that doesn’t work as well as hoped. Why is this so hard?

Nissan: Ya blew it.

Toyota/Subaru: Just not serious it seems. Their PHEVs seem fine, but the comical recalls, and the really bad specs of the BZ4X just seem like a last minute ‘get something out there’ effort. Feels like they are still waiting for evs to fail. Do we know anything really about their upcoming EV cars? Is it all BS?

GM: What the hell is going on? There seemed to be a big wind up, and then… nothing? Is the problem batteries? Is it software? Both the Blazer and the Lyric seem pretty cool, but it seems they can’t make enough of them, or deliver what they have? Just a non-confidence-inspiring fumble. Just learned from the post above that the Silverado actually exists?

Kia/Hyundai: Seem pretty compelling, with their smaller cars and the EV9. Definitely seeing a lot of them recently, and would be considering a EV9 if I was in the market at the moment. Seem to have made some good technology choices (decent efficiency ,800v) , and have not made any ‘deal killer/dumb’ decisions like removing stalks, or capacitive steering wheel buttons. Could be a possibility, but then I'd have to deal with a dealer.

BMW/Audi: Value case for me personally is not there so I haven’t been following them closely. I’ve seen a few BMW EVs and they are not really my thing, style wise, and aren't as utilitarian for my particular taste. I’ve seen a few Audis, and they look totally generic (which might be fine) but their value case when compared to other EVs seems pretty bad. I also have concerns on their battery longevity.

Porsche/Lucid: Too expensive for me, but seem really nice.

I think overall, it’s a weird time in the EV space. Maybe the thing is that we’re beyond the stage where a company can say ‘here’s an ev!’ and folks will buy regardless (at a premium even!), and we’re now in the stage where people will not buy a BZ4X (or whatever)on brand loyalty or whatever, because is just doesn’t have the core features that other cars do. I’m sure the combo of the addition of more EV choices and the interest rate increase also made companies make some hard decisions, and we’re still seeing that pan out. Also features are changing fast enough that waiting sometimes makes sense.

What I would really want:
Functional (big interior, hitch receiver, outlets, seating for 5 or more), efficient, hatchback or wagon, with V2G, and ~300 miles of range and no boneheaded crap for a reasonable price.

Thanks, I’ll have a #2 with fries.