Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Saw someone ask somewhere else, "Wasn't Ippei being fired one of the conditions that could trigger an Ohtani opt out?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it was Mark Walter and Andrew Friedman

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ohtani's bookie must've been pissed about the deferrals.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mdemone posted:

I think I'm going mad

lmao

Also it’s 100% Shohei making these bets

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bregor posted:

lmao

Also it’s 100% Shohei making these bets

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wow I can't believe Janet Gretzky got caught betting again!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
San Diego (Clippers) finally landing Ohtani.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Shoeless Shohei.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

toy would never!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Mike Trout betting on an isobar front turning into a tornado.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh oh mike trout's niece is tweetin

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Mike Trout betting on an isobar front turning into a tornado.

lol

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ohtani having a massive gambling addiction is crazy

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Carlosologist posted:

Imagine getting $700 million and trying to gamble for more

Can't wait to see what happens to Draft Kings

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This news dropped just before the working day in Japan, so, uh

might be a fun one over here

I know I've said it before but just the sheer amount of press coverage on Ohtani in Japan is unfathomable, so if this goes Real Bad...

[edit] also don't forget Ohtani has massive deals with a number of blue-chip companies in Japan, doesn't matter what his salary from the Angels (or now club-friendly deal with the Dodgers) pays him, he's probably clearing $50-100 mil a year just from that.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 21, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

if this were the case it would be hard to imagine he'd defer so much of his salary

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was betting that he wouldn't die before he could collect, the ultimate parlay

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

harperdc posted:

This news dropped just before the working day in Japan, so, uh

might be a fun one over here

I know I've said it before but just the sheer amount of press coverage on Ohtani in Japan is unfathomable, so if this goes Real Bad...

[edit] also don't forget Ohtani has massive deals with a number of blue-chip companies in Japan, doesn't matter what his salary from the Angels (or now club-friendly deal with the Dodgers) pays him, he's probably clearing $50-100 mil a year just from that.

According to an article from Sportico that came out literally today, he's pulling down $65 million in endorsements this year, making him the highest paid MLB player. https://www.sportico.com/leagues/baseball/2024/mlb-highest-paid-players-2024-shohei-ohtani-yoshinobu-yamamoto-1234771469/

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

bawfuls posted:

if this were the case it would be hard to imagine he'd defer so much of his salary

He does have an untold amount of endorsement money, and the ESPN report said that the SoCal gambling operation did offer bets on credit too. Idk, to me it’s clear that Ippei looks like the fall guy given how the story has changed so quickly after his admission

https://x.com/pftcommenter/status/1770598529108439264?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the other part is of course that $4.5M is peanuts to Ohtani so if he were the real gambling addict surely he'd be running up 10x or 100x that much

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ohtani blew it all to Le Chiffre at the baccarat table

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Maybe Magic himself bought the marker so Shohei has to play for way under market....

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my experience as a sports fan is if the generational superstar that plays for your team has an insane gambling addiction it loving rules and your team wins all of the time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani announcing he was married out of the blue is because they cant arrest a husband and wife for the same crime

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

my experience as a sports fan is if the generational superstar that plays for your team has an insane gambling addiction it loving rules and your team wins all of the time.

Trying to imagine Michael Jordan's career in the age of social media

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Popete posted:

Ohtani announcing he was married out of the blue is because they cant arrest a husband and wife for the same crime

maybe he won her fair and square, you ever think about that huh

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

elentar posted:

maybe he won her fair and square, you ever think about that huh

I already love the 2024 season

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

it was Mark Walter and Andrew Friedman

So much less fun.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

has shohei been banned from returning to America yet

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

because he should be

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

the other part is of course that $4.5M is peanuts to Ohtani so if he were the real gambling addict surely he'd be running up 10x or 100x that much

Surely he (hypothetically) would’ve won a decent amount of bets too. Total win/loss is not a good way to measure problem gambling. And the 4.5 figure is just the money coming from this specific account that got caught, he could be in way deeper.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Trying to imagine Michael Jordan's career in the age of social media

Imagine him now with so much more access to gambling.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

No gambling addict has just one bookie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can you even imagine if Manfred had to drop the ban hammer on Shohei? I don't know if this sport would survive.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

please stop engaging earnestly with bawfuls tonight he will try his best to prevent us from being mirthful about this before the boring truth comes out

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Stern protected Jordan for the commercial benefit of the sport, is Manfred clever/shrewd enough to do the same?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Rounders 2 starring Shohei and Bruno Mars

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trade Ohtani to the Cubs as punishment.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

please stop engaging earnestly with bawfuls tonight he will try his best to prevent us from being mirthful about this before the boring truth comes out

Lol the truth is never coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's only one solution- ban Shohei, reinstate Pete Rose