Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Fori also has this small complication. Not sure if the 110s fare better.

https://i.imgur.com/69w3qBV.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Railcannons one shot titans if they hit near the head, which requires the titan to be turned towards the firing ship (~the center of the map).

110s do alright against titans; they deal damage and usually break some of the top armor, which is especially helpful if you combine it with an orbital laser.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Gatling turret still works great for me at 7. The trick is to spot the line bugs are moving along towards your real and throw it on a line perpendicular to this. You can even put it in a spot where it has limited angles to see the bugs so it hits them as they are walking by and gets less aggro.

I almost always do it with EAT though so if a charger spots it I can hit the charger so it doesn’t get immediately killed. If a bile titan spots it that’s almost good news as it distracts it from the team!

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Constant crashes broke up the gang's play session tonight. Ah well.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I assume this major order was just something they quickly threw together to tide us over till an automaton related one starts on Thursday. They keep consistently underestimating how fast the community will clear the "plot" major orders like Tien Kwan and the TCS. So they might have overcompensated here (in addition to the bugs introduced by the patch).

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Schwawa posted:

you can change the settings so the crosshair always appears and you can get the charge indicator when hip-firing.

Where? I feel like this should be an obvious option, but don't see it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can the laser canon break through a charger's head and kill it?

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

1stGear posted:

I assume this major order was just something they quickly threw together to tide us over till an automaton related one starts on Thursday. They keep consistently underestimating how fast the community will clear the "plot" major orders like Tien Kwan and the TCS. So they might have overcompensated here (in addition to the bugs introduced by the patch).

It feels like they wanted us to fail this one.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Can the laser canon break through a charger's head and kill it?

Nope :(

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

BitBasher posted:

They can definitely kill the charger but timing is an issue. They seem to kill the charger or at least screw it up really bad a lot more of the time if you time the hits so it hits while the charger is not moving. So like while it's rotating to line up on you or after it hits a wall or something. It takes some getting used to. Even then they're just serviceable. Still not really good in my opinion

Once you get charger patterns and timing of the strike down it's pretty effective/really good.

The issue is just catching the charger not moving when the eagle releases the rockets. This is what trips most people up since the initial Auto-Target capability stops once the eagle fires the rockets and they need 1-2 seconds to impact. A moving charger can easily get out of the way of 50%-100% of the rocket pods damage radius since it's a multi projectile. So 1 rocket hitting it's rear end leaves a disappointing spot on it's back armor.

Catching them stationary rarely just kills them if they are uninjured but it will pretty much always blow off the side armor and sometimes the leg armor. Then it's just a few seconds of primary fire into the damaged area and it's dead. If the rockets hit them in the head it usually kills them and if the rear end is blown off they bleed to death. So rocket pods can be close to a 1:1 charger kill if you wrangle enough.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Definitely been having a rough night tonight. Shriekers aren't so bad themselves, but their nests are way tankier than you'd expect them to be based on the damage absorbing capacity of other Terminid hive structures. Even without them though, my missions on Fori Prime have felt like there's way too many bugs, almost pre-patch level spawning of Chargers.

But at this point, just going to chalk it up to having one bad play session. Looking forward to the narrative consequences of the war being ground to a halt in a day and a half.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
The mech is the best answer to shrieker nests. You can clear your way to the tower safely including any breaches then just put 2-3 rockets into it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

1stGear posted:

Captain Ironblood posted:

It feels like they wanted us to fail this one.

It would've been easier if the players hadn't hosed the Estanu defense just before the major order. With the planet regen staying 1.5% across time zones (normally it's higher during peak and about that off peak, even higher for peak major orders), imo it looks like the GM knew it was an ask but still wanted to see it happen.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

mynnna posted:

Where? I feel like this should be an obvious option, but don't see it.

It's in the hud settings, set reticle to visible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm almost wondering if the dev's plan is for players to over extend into Bug territory and get caught unaware by a massive invasion from another sector. Like the Malevelon Creek situation but bigger.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
sprint autoclimb should be fixed so you dont climb on top of supply drops

:colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Haven't yet encountered a Shrieker nest. How do you kill them? Do you have to get close and look for weak points, or just sit back and pound them into rubble with your autocannon like spore towers?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
(some) explosives can kill them, and if you're near them you can do a hellbomb drop like some automaton buildings.

Grenade launcher/autocannon don't seem good, EAT/RR work just fine though. High armor value, I guess.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Darth Walrus posted:

Haven't yet encountered a Shrieker nest. How do you kill them? Do you have to get close and look for weak points, or just sit back and pound them into rubble with your autocannon like spore towers?

pound town

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:
hellbombs and I think rockets can take them. Each tower went down to one of my mech's rockets

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its not really possible to overextend when players can instantly and freely deploy to anywhere in the galaxy. Things have just felt static because the bots have super passive since getting blown the gently caress out of Tien Kwan.

Someone earlier in the thread speculated that the current game state is kind of a "prologue" and once the Illuminate get introduced, things will start kicking off more. If there's a rhythm of each faction trying to take a new planet every couple of days on top of the major order, the community will have to to juggle a lot more and some of the inner planets might start getting jeopardized.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Two EATs kills a Shrieker nest (on difficulty 8 at least, haven't played 9 today), which isn't super ideal because there are 3 nests in a group and you only get two EATs - but you can do the Spore Spewer thing of shooting them from way far off so it has been pretty easy to just snipe them with EATs without going near them. Pretty sure they don't even start spawning Shriekers until you get within a certain distance, too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Two EATs kills a Shrieker nest, which isn't super ideal because there are 3 nests in a group and you only get two EATs - but you can do the Spore Spewer thing of shooting them from way far off so it has been pretty easy to just snipe them without going near them. Pretty sure they don't even start spawning Shriekers until you get within a certain distance, too.

I'm doing the math, 3 nests, 2 EATs each, 4 hellivers bring 8 eats total, thats 2 eats left

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i think they can also spawn with just 2 towers. we dropped right beside a flyer nest earlier today and unless some one took one down without me noticing there were only 2.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've definitely seen 3

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I've seen two and three tower variants today. Got caught off guard when my airstrike didn't completely take out the nest and then I noticed there was a third tower.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Hwurmp posted:

it only shoots 8 shots, apparently

?????????????????????

It shoots 16 times, and each shot is two AoE missiles.

And that's without the 50% ammo upgrade.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Actually, on that note how to 110s do against bile titans? On Fori hitting a titan with a 500kg is a crapshoot with the longer call-in time, so might as well try rockets. If it takes two rounds to kill them that's at least a faster cooldown than the orbital railcannon, and a huge advantage to the rocket if they weaken it enough that an EAT can finish it off.110s on Chargers just feels bad though.

after the railgun nerf but before everyone knew EATs worked better on chargers i tried for a long time to use 110's on bug missions without a lot of success. they basically never one shot chargers and would usually only break side armor which is harder to shoot. titans seemed to completely shrug off 3 110's in a row, hard to tell if theyre hitting the same spot but it often looked like it. i assume it broke some top armor or something.

FunkyFjord posted:

Yeah I've seen two and three tower variants today. Got caught off guard when my airstrike didn't completely take out the nest and then I noticed there was a third tower.

air strike drop those towers? i only had a GL and cluster bombs and neither worked.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

did an op on fori prime and finally saw a pair of shrieker nests today!

they were visible from where we dropped and we just blew them up with an autocannon (and maybe some rockets? idk I had a grenade launcher). and we never saw a single shrieker. oh well

also at least one crash for everyone else in my group, but none for me. presumably this was either because I was the host, or due to my immaculate, unblemished karma

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Shrieker nests are tough nuts, yeah. An orbital laser killed 2/3 towers and then it took an EAT to finish the last one in my experience. Regular non-500KG bomb eagle strikes didn't seem to do poo poo either.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

World War Mammories posted:

they were visible from where we dropped and we just blew them up with an autocannon (and maybe some rockets? idk I had a grenade launcher). and we never saw a single shrieker. oh well

They are annoying as hell. They do a fast dive attack and even if you kill it it's corpse hitting you kills you outright.

Honestly that feels kind of bugged

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Darth Walrus posted:

Cross-posting from a Goon Discord.

With regard to Shriekers:

1) Yeah, flying bugs are real. Lolz.
2) Their falling dead bodies are still one-hit kills to divers, and they've been seen to OHK Bile Titans. This seems to be a game glitch. Dodge and leap as needed.
3) Prevention beats cure - spot and kill Shrieker nests at a distance: EAT, RR, Autocannon, GL and Exosuit missiles. Note these nests are hard kills, so repeated attempts needed. 500kg, and 120/380 barrages reportedly most effective. Unknown effectiveness of railgun. Drop pod impacts will not kill a Shrieker nest.
4) For individual helldivers, laser guard dog and Exosuit seem to be s-tier effective against Shriekers. Shotguns and high rate of fire weapons reported to be best, as the shriekers themselves are lightly armored but fast - breaker, breaker incendiary, sickle, stalwart are the go-tos. Mixed reports of Arc Thrower and flame thrower effectiveness.

Addendum to 3 - Nests seem to be tough enough to eat a full 10 shots from the autocannon and still stand, but two missiles from a Patriot exosuit will destroy one.

Addendum to 3 - Orbital Laser appears to work.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I killed 1 with a regular eagle airstrike but I dropped into the match in progress ( with the team stuck near the shrieker nest with like 3 reinforcements left) so I don't know what they threw at it before hand.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Laser Cannon is also able to drill through Shrieker shrooms without too much trouble.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Railcannons one shot titans if they hit near the head, which requires the titan to be turned towards the firing ship (~the center of the map).

110s do alright against titans; they deal damage and usually break some of the top armor, which is especially helpful if you combine it with an orbital laser.

my group found if a railcannon doesn't one shot the bile titan a followup EAT to wherever it hit always finishes it off (bring more EATs, there's never enough even throwing them on cooldown)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

What pod does everyone use?

In my book the far left pod is the Pod of Honor for the Destroyer Captain. After that it's a bit more vague but the one next to it should go to a solid number 2, and also going to a right-side pod while the one next to the captain is open is rude.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's the Railgun's niche?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

What's the Railgun's niche?

it's fine? if you like the feel of it and can overcharge properly it's just a good workmanlike weapon

i don't like the (lack of) feedback you get from shots compared to an autocannon or rocket so i don't use it but it seems fine when anybody else does

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Tom Tucker posted:

In my book the far left pod is the Pod of Honor for the Destroyer Captain. After that it's a bit more vague but the one next to it should go to a solid number 2, and also going to a right-side pod while the one next to the captain is open is rude.

I grab the pod next to my mission buddy, failing that I grab the lucky pod (not telling which one its mine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

The far left pod, every time.

It's mine.

I'm the captain now.