Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Volume is cool but it can't do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ytvJxTjTU&t=57s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CelticPredator posted:

and i know a lot of animators put work into their art but the problem isn't that it's just bad directors lazily using CGI has basically soured the medium.

Even a lazy practical feels mostly creative and charming because it can be made with literal garbage and that's fun and inspiring and or adorable.

this isn't any of those things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyU9fCRH4dw

lol i forgot that piece of poo poo movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Teaser for Fede Alvarez's new Alien: Romulus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

Looks like it's taking place on a spaceship just like the first Alien

e: According to Wiki, this takes place between Alien and Aliens

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 20, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rageaholic posted:

Looks dull as mud.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PriorMarcus posted:

Looks dull as mud.
Well it was originally supposed to be a Hulu original movie but got switched to a theatrical release.

I don't know, it's kinda hard to tell from a teaser, but Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead kicked rear end and hopefully this will too.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Rageaholic posted:

There's an awesome shot at the end of this that reminds me of a much better sci-fi classic called Aliens. I recommend everyone check it out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Actually looks good.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Looks of decent quality (I like the sets), I love the aliens franchise so I will consume this. I hope its kind of like Prey where it riffs enough on the derivative premise and with a true creative at the helm to deliver something novel.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Not a great trailer, but I'll probably check it out when it ends up on streaming

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm in. We knew it wouldn't be more Ridley David weirdness, so it looks more or less what I was hoping for—a smaller scale back-to-basics kinda thing. Not a terribly exciting trailer, but no red flags.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Our new Fall Guy trailer went live this morning

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1770465917400441330

New Monkey Man trailer tomorrow!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rageaholic posted:

Some of the facehugger stuff looks creepy as hell and the overall production quality seems solid but there's nothing that really stands out here. TBH I would've rather they gave Ridley Scott one more movie to wrap up the David-centric prequel stuff than have another rote retread outing like this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mat Cauthon posted:

Some of the facehugger stuff looks creepy as hell and the overall production quality seems solid but there's nothing that really stands out here. TBH I would've rather they gave Ridley Scott one more movie to wrap up the David-centric prequel stuff than have another rote retread outing like this.
I don't trust Ridley to get that right after Covenant.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

I don't trust Ridley to get that right after Covenant.

Covenant wasn't great, but it was better than this looks. This looks like a boring, standard horror movie. I don't see any reason to see this when I could watch any other entry in the series.

Maybe just a bad trailer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For years people just wanted a classic alien and face hugger romp and we got it now people hate it? Whiplash.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

For years people just wanted a classic alien and face hugger romp and we got it now people hate it? Whiplash.

Different people want different things, I guess. I didn't want that. But I like Prometheus, so I probably can't be trusted.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I did too! :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:yeah:

Prometheus rules.

I do think judging a whole movie based on like 30 seconds of actual footage is hard, though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
prometheus is a vibes movie and it has extremely sick vibes (literally and colloquially)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The new aliens movie looks fine but also just looks like a remake of the original.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
I think about how weird the alien franchise has gotten since 1985’s Aliens and honestly a safe “back to basics” film from a competent director may be what this franchise needs right now.

The game Alien Isolation was similiar and overtime that game has gotten a huge cult following

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Alien Isolation is the third best Alien in the franchise (I say this as a pretty casual fan of Prometheus). I was astounded at how good it was at capturing the vibes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Feel like you guys are putting a lot on an extremely short teaser trailer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

90sgamer posted:

I think about how weird the alien franchise has gotten since 1985’s Aliens and honestly a safe “back to basics” film from a competent director may be what this franchise needs right now.

The first "weird" film in the alien franchise came out in '79.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Literally the entire point of this thread is to get prematurely exercised by teaser trailers though? Thats what makes it fun.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vintersorg posted:

I don't hate it, I just think the concept is tired and needs a prolonged break if the only thing we can get is very by the numbers space monster stuff. Or at least stop leaning on the IP to sell it and let filmmakers come up with some new stories.

Covenant was a mess but Prometheus was decent and whatever third entry Scott didn't get to make would've likely had some spooky monster poo poo in it anyways.

Like the trailer was fine and I'll probably catch the movie on streaming at some point to scratch the horror movie itch but the well seems pretty dry at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Covenant is one of the best Alien movies

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't hate it, I just think the concept is tired and needs a prolonged break if the only thing we can get is very by the numbers space monster stuff. Or at least stop leaning on the IP to sell it and let filmmakers come up with some new stories.

Covenant was a mess but Prometheus was decent and whatever third entry Scott didn't get to make would've likely had some spooky monster poo poo in it anyways.

Like the trailer was fine and I'll probably catch the movie on streaming at some point to scratch the horror movie itch but the well seems pretty dry at this point.

Judging by Raised by Wolves - even more craziness. I'll be forever mad that got cancelled just as it was getting psychotic.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, I love that trailer. I kinda had a pretty clear idea of what the movie was going to be when Fede Alvarez was announced though and was jazzed for it. He does the stylish thriller/horror in compressed spaces really well. Don't Breathe had a fantastic sense of geography within its house. You knew the exact layout, where everyone was, and what their obstacles were at any given point. He also presents body horror and brutality in a way that really makes you feel it. Do that with a spaceship and Aliens, and I'm very interested. He definitely has the vibes down.

I would have preferred to see Ridley conclude his David trilogy, but that ship has obviously sailed. A soft reboot was the only place this series was actually likely to go and I'm down for it.

The stuff about this originally being intended for Hulu isn't quite accurate. Along with Prey, it was originally intended for the big screen. Both projects got relegated to Hulu after they began production, but the studio is happy enough with Romulus that it's getting its theatrical release back (I think the positive reception to Prey probably influenced the choice too).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bugblatter posted:

Well, I love that trailer. I kinda had a pretty clear idea of what the movie was going to be when Fede Alvarez was announced though and was jazzed for it. He does the stylish thriller/horror in compressed spaces really well. Don't Breathe had a fantastic sense of geography within its house. You knew the exact layout, where everyone was, and what their obstacles were at any given point. He also presents body horror and brutality in a way that really makes you feel it. Do that with a spaceship and Aliens, and I'm very interested. He definitely has the vibes down.

I would have preferred to see Ridley conclude his David trilogy, but that ship has obviously sailed. A soft reboot was the only place this series was actually likely to go and I'm down for it.

The stuff about this originally being intended for Hulu isn't quite accurate. Along with Prey, it was originally intended for the big screen. Both projects got relegated to Hulu after they began production, but the studio is happy enough with Romulus that it's getting its theatrical release back (I think the positive reception to Prey probably influenced the choice too).

https://deadline.com/2022/03/alien-standalone-movie-in-the-works-with-fede-alvarez-directing-for-hulu-1234971407/

quote:

Don’t Breathe filmmaker Fede Alvarez is set to write and helm an original Alien movie for 20th Century studios.

Alvarez will direct the movie for Hulu as part of 20th’s deal to provide 10 pics a year to the Disney owned OTT service. Alvarez’s pitch is reportedly completely separate from the previous movies, Deadline has confirmed.

Ridley Scott, who directed the 1979 original and two millennial editions, will produce through his Scott Free banner.

The new Alien movie also will be distinct from Noah Hawley’s FX TV series, which network boss John Landgraf has said won’t feature Sigourney Weaver’s alien hunter Ripley.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ah, whoops. Guess it was only Prey then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess Alien Romulus looks okay, I just don't really get what it brings to the table that can be interesting and new for the Alien franchise. I groaned at the part with all of the face huggers storming into the hallway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Judging by Raised by Wolves - even more craziness. I'll be forever mad that got cancelled just as it was getting psychotic.

Raised by Wolves is the most loving amazing piece of sci-fi ever on TV and I cannot be convinced otherwise.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I said come in! posted:

Raised by Wolves is the most loving amazing piece of sci-fi ever on TV and I cannot be convinced otherwise.

:emptyquote:

It's basically the perfect thing to throw on whilst high as gently caress if you want to be part of some beautiful screaming nightmare.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 21, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Honestly, it starts to read like a bunch of people desperate to hate on something. Like, loving hell, at least wait until we've got more than just a teaser to start making GBS threads all over something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If this thread has taught me anything, it is don’t release trailers the same day as an Alien trailer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This gives me so much faith

Fede Alvarez posted:

“I love all of those movies. I didn’t want to omit or ignore any of them when it comes to connections at a story level, character level, technology level and creature level. There’s always connections from Alien to Alien: Covenant,” Álvarez says.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah the rumored plot leaks from a while back had black goo. What Alvarez has been saying about the plot matches up perfectly so far.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m trying to not to read spoilers lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

kiimo posted:

If this thread has taught me anything, it is don’t release trailers the same day as an Alien trailer

I watched the Fall Guy trailer, way way way clearer on what the actual movie was about and its tone. Watching the first one I was like it's a set romance film with an action thriller subplot but they didn't seem like two elements that were blended together.