Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They made a Barbie and Lego movie, they made a movie about Flaming Hot Cheetos, the made a Banana Splits horror movie, they're adapting the Magic Eight Ball toy into a movie, Ridley Scott worked on a Monopoly movie for several years. Having a story to adapt is no longer a priority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Could be interesting if they get weird with it.

Do it Free Guy, or even I guess Barbie, style and follow a family of Sims around. Part way through they figure out what's going on and try to break free of having their life controlled. Maybe have a whole Fight Club thing about living a catalog kind of life and wanting more. I can at least picture it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah a sims movie could be potentially weird/cool. not really holding my breath but it's not crazy.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I watched it and barely remember it outside of around six or seven scenes myself, I don't think it's dementia.

Weirdly I still think that every individual element works well, and I like all the performances, and I would recommend it to people. But for whatever reason it's a teflon movie for me; the closest analogy I can think of is being served a dessert, loving the concept, genuinely liking each individual element, but as a whole just thinking it's ok. Which is not something that usually happens to me re: movies.

You've described my reaction to every James Wan movie I've seen other than Saw.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Alan Smithee posted:

if you want the youth vote just make JBJr already

You just unlocked a deeply seated core memory of the James Bond Jr game for SNES

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Due to the utter unintelligibility of Tenet, which I saw in a perfectly set up Dolby Atmos cinema and still could not understand, I honestly think Nolan is trying to do a silent film with sound effects, music, with the dialog being vibe-based and cross-cultural (basically the wah wah wah of parents in Peanuts). This could be cool. I’m not saying it is but as an idea for doing new ‘silent’ films it owns.

Monica Bellucci posted:

I am still baffled they got Colin Farrell when Richard Kind is right there.
Has anybody seen the show where a 75-year-old autist is a cop? He stars, hope he makes Orbach money.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If they do sims they gotta do that one goons murder house where he would build doorless rooms and pools without ladders so his sims would starve to death and had a trophy room in the sims basement.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ruddiger posted:

If they do sims they gotta do that one goons murder house where he would build doorless rooms and pools without ladders so his sims would starve to death and had a trophy room in the sims basement.

I thought we all did that?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The more or less already did a Sims movie and it was called Gamer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who will play Rick Rape this time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Batman is alright. I did kinda like that it felt more like Adam West's Batman in that he's just like, a guy. A public figure you could bump into on the streets more than some weird urban legend like most other live action movies have him out to be. But other than that, I can't really muster any passion for it.

The West show even had some jokes about how Gotham's citizens are completely used to Batman and Robin and their associated shenanigans.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Someone throw water on that Lionel Hutz lawsuit, because The Neverending Story is about to not be ended again as a new movie series is being planned!

quote:

“The Neverending Story” — the beloved fantasy novel from late German author Michael Ende that was famously adapted into the cult 1984 film — is being revived for the big screen once more, with a new joint-venture partnership between Michael Ende Productions and prestige tastemakers See-Saw Films bringing the world of Fantastica back to cinemas over multiple live-action films.

The news brings to an end the race for one of the hottest fantasy properties yet to be tapped for modern audiences. Variety hears that Ende’s estate had been fielding interest from across the globe over the last few years, including from studios and streamers.

See-Saw — no stranger to adapting well-known literature for screen having been behind features including “Lion” and “The Power of the Dog” and recent TV hits “Heartstopper” and “Slow Horses” — has now teamed with Michael Ende Productions to develop and produce the films. The new partnership has been granted “The Neverending Story” rights by Ende’s executor Dr. Wolf-Dieter von Granau. Iain Canning and Emile Sherman will produce for See-Saw alongside Roman Hocke and Ralph Gassmann for Michael Ende Productions.
No details beyond See-Saw having given the heirs the prettiest dump truck full of money

https://variety.com/2024/film/global/the-neverending-story-new-film-adaptation-see-saw-michael-ende-productions-1235944716/

ruddiger posted:

I think the painting goblin has enough juice to make a cool movie subplot

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Someone throw water on that Lionel Hutz lawsuit, because The Neverending Story is about to not be ended again as a new movie series is being planned!

quote:

Fantastica

quote:

Fantastica

quote:

FANTASTICA

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I thought what you're probably thinking, but Fantastica was the name in the book, Fantasia the name in the movie.

"The news brings to an end the race for one of the hottest fantasy properties yet to be tapped for modern audiences." is some hyper-grade marketing bullshit. This rich, untapped vein of reheated intellectual property!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
funny that the guy with the last name of ende wrote the neverending story

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dr. Wolf-Dieter von Granau

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Sims is the opportunity to be hard Barbie

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Remulak posted:

Due to the utter unintelligibility of Tenet, which I saw in a perfectly set up Dolby Atmos cinema and still could not understand, I honestly think Nolan is trying to do a silent film with sound effects, music, with the dialog being vibe-based and cross-cultural (basically the wah wah wah of parents in Peanuts). This could be cool. I’m not saying it is but as an idea for doing new ‘silent’ films it owns.

I think it's just mixed for his weirdo setup. I watched half with headphones, half without, and the half with headphones was easily intelligible.

I like it if only for some of the cool shots and that Nolan lets Debicki be tall and tower over the male actors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read like half of the book for The Never Ending Story which basically covered the movie adaptation but stopped after that point because Bastian becomes quite intolerable as a character once he arrives in the fantasy world. That's kind of the point of the story but it doesn't exactly make it interesting to read.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly just remember watching the 90s Neverending Story cartoon. Was pretty fun, some wacky settings, no idea how much they made up from the book.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you still have to teach adults how to use the bathroom in Sims games? I haven't played one in decades.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't think you have to unless it's a baby who needs to learn to potty. But if your sim has the sloppy trait they have a higher tendency to piss themselves

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Makes sense.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't think you have to unless it's a baby who needs to learn to potty. But if your sim has the sloppy trait they have a higher tendency to piss themselves

:same:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I got Sims 3 super cheap off a steam sale and then we bought the pet expansion during the pandemic so my wife and I had something to play and it was neat being a cat but we still had to keep our dumb human owner happy or the cat would get seized. Also the town had a bunch of horses running around it due to the expansion which was hilarious and now I want a herd of horses loose in every major city

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hahahahahaha oh my god it looks like such dogshit, imagine tanking your movie over this

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1770815633262825718

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hahahahahaha oh my god it looks like such dogshit, imagine tanking your movie over this

I agree that AI art is dogshit, but I seriously doubt the general public gives enough of a poo poo about it to tank a movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Enos Cabell posted:

I agree that AI art is dogshit, but I seriously doubt the general public gives enough of a poo poo about it to tank a movie.

I'm like the target market for this thing, and I've noped out. It's depressingly low-rent.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Grendels Dad posted:

I guess that could be interesting. Naturally, I have no way of imagining how such a movie could be good.

it isn't!

Simplex posted:

The more or less already did a Sims movie and it was called Gamer.

gamer nails the intersection of video games, techno-liberalism, and fascism and so it's a disservice to imply it's JUST a sims movie, but it is also a sims movie

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm like the target market for this thing, and I've noped out. It's depressingly low-rent.

yeah same. i mean if you're going to steal art for your movie, just steal some. using a computer to make it look bad first is just pathetic

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

God drat it, just pay an illustrator. It can't save that much money or time to do this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

gently caress. Just pay an illustrator.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

davidspackage posted:

God drat it, just pay an illustrator. It can't save that much money or time to do this.

Yeah, I've lost all interest in seeing this now.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It sucks but I also think you overestimate how much people who aren’t terminally online will know or care

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm generally very positive about image diffusion AI but this looks terrible and using it for those 3 titles was really stupid and the exact wrong use case.

You can understand when it's for stuff like "try to make live action look anime" or "my D&D game needs NPC portraits" but this a textbook case of misuse.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Tag yourself I'm whatever the hell is going on with that pelvis

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think AI will have a lot of cool uses in the future, but it is not ready for production stuff yet.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
David Dastmalchian is wearing the gently caress outta that '70s look.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Monica Bellucci posted:

David Dastmalchian is wearing the gently caress outta that '70s look.

I was hyped for him in this role, but to echo others the fact that the directors are this stupid/lame about ai is a big mark against the movie itself. Sucks for the cast & crew to get saddled with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FlamingLiberal posted:

Margot Robbie's production company is developing a movie based on 'The Sims' video game franchise. I was not even aware of this, but the article mentions that there was a previous attempt to make a Sims movie that started production around 2007 but never got anywhere.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-sims-movie-in-the-pipe-from-loki-director-margot-robbies-company-to-produce

I have no idea how you would make this work when the whole point is to make your own family and just kind of do whatever you want. There are no characters.

An all-powerful god makes a simulated reality to torture a family in forever, then does it again and again until something happens.

The Good Place, basically