Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I really want to know what he does in that lab outside of content creation, if anything. I have never been able to decide if his videos are boring or interesting, he seems like he wants everything but the camera.

E: oh poo poo uhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSorp4TsRMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpEtHRbXegc

ComradePyro has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

His 'Bulletproof Wood' video was very frustrating because he kept getting the solution to only be absorbed by the surface of the wood, had a great cross-section cut that showed it clearly, and then never did anything to work on getting the entire wood to absorb it. Instead inventing superbly elaborate solutions to other parts of his procedure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shoot the wood full of holes to create channels for the hardener.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Maxwells Demon posted:

His 'Bulletproof Wood' video was very frustrating because he kept getting the solution to only be absorbed by the surface of the wood, had a great cross-section cut that showed it clearly, and then never did anything to work on getting the entire wood to absorb it. Instead inventing superbly elaborate solutions to other parts of his procedure.

Hear me out: what if you planted trees in hardener , that way the wood would be filled and hardened when it gets harvested.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Maxwells Demon posted:

The best thing is this is a solved problem, you vacuum infuse it, which is how you create stabilized wood using heat activating epoxy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There’s a better way. You use a radiation-activated epoxy that can soak in over a long period, then put the wood in a nuclear reactor.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I learned all teh history I know from the dude who wrote The Fault in Our Stars. I learned all the medicine I lmow from Scrubs and House. Don't judge.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CainFortea posted:

That wasn't the question.

lol just lol caring about a youtuber this much.

edit: also, yes, it is. The point is that no serious person gives a poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi! has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Mar 19, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol just lol caring about a youtuber this much.

edit: also, yes, it is. The point is that no serious person gives a poo poo.

If you think this is caring about stuff a lot, then you must have felt very loved by your parents.

Anyway no. That wasn't the question. The question was "Who cares"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Lone Badger posted:

There’s a better way. You use a radiation-activated epoxy that can soak in over a long period, then put the wood in a nuclear reactor.

LOCKWOOD-THE WOOD OF THE FUTURE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
time to post it again! hooray for the academic interlibrary loan system

Sagebrush posted:

oh hey guess what came in today!

they did a pretty lovely job scanning the article (looks like it was in a bound volume) but you can still read it. turns out LOCKWOOD is not actually just radiation-treated wood, but a wood-plastic composite. they infused wood with a methyl methacrylate (lucite) monomer and then polymerized it in place using radiation from the nuclear reactor. essentially like a carbon-fiber part, but i guess it's lignin-fiber and the fibers are also already bonded together rather than relying on the plastic matrix. i totally believe that the stuff is hard, glossy, and durable as hell.

i want a nuclear reactor to try it out myself now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There's precious little information on it on the internet, which is very sad.

The entire GA experiment is loving nuts, literally irradiating things just to see what would happen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
throwing money at dudes to do random wacky poo poo in hopes something useful pops out is the best kind of science

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I bet you could synthesize small quantities of lockwood equivalents using a microwave oven.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

displacement and heating are different things, all that a microwave can do is heat the material

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

displacement and heating are different things, all that a microwave can do is heat the material

Shouldn't that be enough when you're using a thermoplastic?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's not a thermoplastic, it's a radiation initiated cross linking resin.

There's cross linking resins you can trigger polymerization without radiation or even cross linking resins that aren't classically reacting that you can impregnate wood with which is what started the whole conversation but it's not going to have the same properties as Lockwood. Properties including how easy is it to impregnate the wood or what the final product behaves like.

Fun fact your toilet paper is held together with a cross linking resin that doesn't exactly reactively bond which let's it dissolve in water over 5-15 minutes so you can wipe your rear end and stop up pee but it doesn't clog your pipes and septic system.

Paper chemistry in general sees all the varieties of cross linking between what you can do with cellulose fibers and what you can do with additives and resins.

E. Tldr the resin in lockwood chemically bonds with itself, and also the cellulose-lignin structure which is a monumental idea compared to most other wood impregnations you can do.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Mar 19, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ahhh, alright, fair enough. Thanks for the clarification!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Move over tripropellants, there's a new terrifying rocket in town.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:jeb:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I guess dimethylmercury wasn’t toxic enough :laffo:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Good loving God.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Have there actually been serious rockets that used fluorine as their oxidizer? My impression was that even "just" elemental fluorine is so temperamental that nobody wants to use it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have there actually been serious rockets that used fluorine as their oxidizer? My impression was that even "just" elemental fluorine is so temperamental that nobody wants to use it.

A question to send half the thread scrambling for their copies of Ignition

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Someone did build the insane tripropellant engine, but only for an on-the-ground test series; I don't think anyone actually got around to flying it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Thread is a flat circle. Behold: Flox Methane

Kazinsal posted:

Winchell Chung's "Atomic Rockets" site updated recently, with one of the additions being a section on a 1966 study by Rockwell on a capsule-style Mars lander that ran on a delicate balance of liquid almost-FOOF.

There's a lot of rocketry math but it's an interesting read (especially for those who like rocketry math). Choice quotes include "the engine would periodically be sucking pure fluorine" and "a large melted crater with a few odd pieces of corroded metal and polished skeleton bits at the bottom".

zedprime posted:

Quoting original post from 7(!) years ago for posterity. The links have moved around a bit so the FLOX explanation for the Martian Excursion Module is here now http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/excursion.php#rockwellmem and the IMIS mission profile is better accessed from http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns.php#id--Boeing_IMIS.

You get there with NERVAs, with Fluorine Liquid Oxygen (FLOX)used for corrections and excursion ascents etc. because FLOX-CH4 systems are very energy dense and hypergolic so you don't even need a separate igniter which adds mass or can break.

And yeah, most fluorine oxidizer rockets never left test sizes because getting enough fluorine in one place is a big engineering challenge.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I knew they'd been tested, the potential for high specific impulse is too much for rocket scientists to resist. But for actually delivering payloads to orbit (or to targets on/above Earth, anyway), I wasn't aware of any examples.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My layman's understanding is that about 99 times out of 100 fluorine oxidizers don't offer enough additional performance to outweigh their downsides in almost every other respect like toxicity, difficulty in handling, volatility...

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My layman's understanding is that about 99 times out of 100 fluorine oxidizers don't offer enough additional performance to outweigh their downsides in almost every other respect like toxicity, difficulty in handling, volatility...

Yeah luckily it turns out "just throw more kerosene+LOX at the problem" is a good-enough answer for most things that need to be shoved into space, that even if it doesn't have the best efficiency it's relatively cheap and simple

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of the tripropellant engine, there's an hour-long YouTube video by someone who isn't an irritating bazinga about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-0Xw6kkrc

Quick teaser: Asbestos insulation is one of the least dangerous substances involved in the apparatus.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Mar 19, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Elviscat posted:

There's precious little information on it on the internet, which is very sad.

The entire GA experiment is loving nuts, literally irradiating things just to see what would happen.

I think my acquiring that article from the 1965 Lockheed quarterly and posting it here on Something Awful is the most in-depth information on LOCKWOOD that is available anywhere on the internet.

ComradePyro posted:

I really want to know what he does in that lab outside of content creation, if anything. I have never been able to decide if his videos are boring or interesting, he seems like he wants everything but the camera.

E: oh poo poo uhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSorp4TsRMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpEtHRbXegc

Ammonia and bleach makes chloramine, not mustard gas. It's still poisonous but nowhere near as deadly as mustard gas and it's important to be correct when posting scientific information :spergin:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Ammonia and bleach makes chloramine, not mustard gas. It's still poisonous but nowhere near as deadly as mustard gas and it's important to be correct when posting scientific information :spergin:

That’s why you post unscientific misinformation. In that case, it is not important to be correct.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Platystemon posted:

That’s why you post unscientific misinformation. In that case, it is not important to be correct.

Correct, see thread title.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Chemistry by Howtobasic

All that’s missing is the screaming

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Whoforthenwhat posted:

All that’s missing is the screaming

Solid thread title, imo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zopotantor posted:

Apparently NMR is affordable enough for YouTubers now. (Mind you, he also spent multiple thousands of dollars on a candy roller for this specific video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMaTrgUKC1w

lmao when he breaks the stool with the meat tenderizer

I need to know how much he spent on the candy coating machine that he didn’t even use.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Mar 21, 2024

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Platystemon posted:

lmao when he breaks the stool with the meat tenderizer

I need to know how much he spent on the candy coating machine that he didn’t even use.

you could probably 3d print a candy roller. It wouldn't last long but it would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lmao that he’s having trouble with a layer of aluminum oxide on his purple gold, so he sands it… with aluminum oxide abrasives.