Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

NO

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

no, bring back the goblin maids instead of this

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

oh so he has chetnik ancestors then

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was thinking of this classic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Danann posted:

oh so he has chetnik ancestors then

they could be ustase ancestors instead

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

stephenthinkpad posted:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

:prepop:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

stephenthinkpad posted:

jesus

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/FuknSlammer/status/1770599005833105863?t=Iy_az6vyHxy4zNsRDWQjKA&s=19

Heh

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

What in the gently caress is wrong with these freaks

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

did this two hour "discussion" have any resemblance to a "dump" of "information?"

E: LMAO I missed on first skim this was the third date. At his house.

dude managed to fumble the ball 1 micron from the goal line

I know lmao. Showed himself to be a real freak at home and this doesn't mean in the bed

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with these freaks

Take your pick.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Remylind23 posted:

🇷🇺 Shoigu said during a meeting of the Defense Ministry Board:

Since the beginning of the year, the RF Armed Forces have formed an army corps, a motorized rifle division, the Dnieper flotilla and a brigade of river boats of the flotilla.

By the end of 2024, the formation of 2 combined arms armies and 30 formations, including 14 divisions and 16 brigades, is planned.
(from t.me/remylind21/16781, via tgsa)

it's time for the river wars

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Rare footage of how the Yugoslav Wars started.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NAFO mindset in one image.

If we ever ask "why NAFO why?" we need only refer back to this.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

real rough chuckle over this fella

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Wall Street Journal

https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/ukraine-impossible-choice-conceding-territory-or-lives-4f432d75

Ukraine’s Impossible Choice: Conceding Territory or Lives
By Isabel ColesFollow, Ievgeniia Sivorka and Matthew Luxmoore
March 19, 2024 12:01 am ET

Russian forces were closing in when Sgt. Ivan Zhytnik made a desperate call to his family from a bunker on the front line in eastern Ukraine.

Ukrainian defenses in the city of Avdiivka were crumbling and Zhytnik’s brigade had pulled out to avoid being overrun, leaving him and five other soldiers behind.

Four of us are wounded—seriously wounded—we can’t walk. One can, but barely,” said 31-year-old Zhytnik in the video call on the morning of Feb. 15, adding the sixth man stayed to help them. “All the officers are gone—all of them. They left us at our positions.”

The plight of the men demonstrates the conundrum for Ukrainian leaders this year as they confront mounting Russian offensives with dwindling resources: when to cut their losses.

Ukrainian leaders say every inch of territory is worth fighting for, but b after a failed counteroffensive last year and with a much-needed additional aid package stuck in Congress. Russia, with a larger army and a war economy clunking into gear, is pressing forward against its smaller neighbor.

That leaves Ukraine facing a year on the defensive, picking its battles in an effort to limit territorial losses while outlasting the Russian army. Kyiv needs to buy time to rebuild its own forces with the aim of retaking some of the roughly 20% of its territory occupied by Russia.

It is a delicate calculus that requires weighing precious land against scarce resources, including lives—and morale...

... As winter set in, Moscow’s firepower advantage was growing as political deadlock in the U.S. held up key aid for Kyiv. Low on artillery rounds, Ukrainian forces in Avdiivka couldn’t prevent Russian infantry from creeping forward and engaging them at close range. President Volodymyr Zelensky visited in December, noting shortages, but signaled the intent to hold on.

Zenit was particularly vulnerable as Russian forces squeezed tighter. In January, Savosik told his cousin to stop sending care packages as it was almost impossible for supplies to reach them. When she asked how he was, he responded: “Alive.”

Pvt. Heorhiy Pavlov had always shielded his mother, Inna Pavlova, from the dangers he faced in Avdiivka, but the burly 29-year-old struggled to stay upbeat as the situation deteriorated. Ukraine’s shortage of artillery shells was so acute that Russian forces were operating out in the open without fear of being targeted, he complained. Many of Pavlov’s fellow soldiers had been in Avdiivka for nearly two years and were exhausted, he said. The need for fresh recruits was increasingly acute, but Kyiv stalled over a politically sensitive decision to expand the draft.

Railing against his commanders, Pavlov talked of earlier battles in which Ukrainian forces held out until it was too late to conduct an organized withdrawal. When Pavlova asked if they were encircled, he said everything was fine. But his outburst had unnerved her. And on Deep State—an app that maps front-line positions using open-source data—the red area denoting Russian advances appeared to be swallowing the city. “If I can see it on Deep State, how come your commanders can’t?” she recalled asking her son...

... By early February, the 100 soldiers remaining inside Zenit had almost no food left. Hunkered down under relentless shelling, many appealed to their commanders to withdraw. Russian troops were advancing on the flanks of Avdiivka, threatening to cut the position off. Still, Ukrainian commanders told them to hold on.

Several soldiers who stepped outside the bunker for fresh air were shot by Russian snipers or killed by mortar strikes guided by Russian drones, said Pvt. Viktor Biliak, who had been in Zenit since the start of Russia’s invasion. Only a handful of men from his company were still alive. Biliak said half the unit had been killed, elevating him, a junior serviceman, to company commander.

On the night of Feb. 13, Sgt. Andriy Dubnytskiy, another soldier in Zenit, called his wife, Lyudmyla Dubnytska, to say he was preparing to leave Avdiivka. The couple’s first child was born several months into the war, but 25-year-old Dubnytskiy had hardly seen his daughter because he had been on the front line in Avdiivka almost nonstop since the start of the war...

... Hours later, Dubnytskiy set out in a group of seven soldiers including Zhytnik and Pavlov, attempting to reach Ukrainian lines in Avdiivka. They had given up waiting for orders to retreat. “Our commanders…wanted us to dig in and keep defending,” Biliak said. “Holding on to a set of ruins without ammunition or food was suicidal.”

The group didn’t get far. Russian reconnaissance drones had been flying over Zenit for days, waiting for the Ukrainians to break cover. A Russian mortar strike immediately killed half the group, Biliak said. He wasn’t in the group but helped bring the wounded back to the bunker, carrying Zhytnik himself. Dubnytskiy and Pavlov were also wounded.

Those who could still walk, including Biliak, set out on foot later the evening of Feb. 14 with Ukrainian drones guiding them to a rendezvous point where an armored vehicle was waiting.

The route to Avdiivka was strewn with the corpses of Ukrainian soldiers, Biliak said. As they reached the evacuation point, he heard a radio exchange that shocked him. A Ukrainian officer from the 110th Brigade asked his commander about evacuating the wounded men who remained in Zenit.

“Leave the wounded,” Biliak heard the commander reply. “And burn everything left behind.”...

... The day after Russian troops reached Zenit, a 40-second video appeared on one of Moscow’s propaganda channels. It showed several dead soldiers lying in the mud alongside a Ukrainian flag. Dubnytska immediately recognized a tattoo on one of the men’s hands: It looked identical to the one her husband and two other soldiers had got, symbolizing their faith and brotherhood.

She had reported Dubnytskiy missing earlier that day, taking their nearly 2-year-old daughter to the police station to provide a DNA sample. Returning home, she was scrolling through Russian Telegram channels in search of evidence he had been captured when she saw the clip.

“Everything inside me died,” she said. After contacting another of the soldiers with the tattoo, there was no room for doubt. “It was him.”...

... Ukraine’s leadership said the fight had been worth it to grind down Russian forces, although commander-in-chief Col. Gen. Oleksandr Syrskiy acknowledged “certain miscalculations” by commanders.

“If we had retreated in an organized way we could have burned the position without our people there,” said Biliak days after the city fell. He was in a hospital receiving treatment for injuries sustained during the withdrawal, including a cheek half torn open by a piece of shrapnel.

The men’s relatives believe they were killed by Russian forces shortly after being captured after midday on Feb. 15. But they also blame the Ukrainian commanders who left them behind for their deaths, calling it an unnecessary sacrifice. Their priority now is to recover their loved ones’ remains.

In a video released by Russian state-controlled channel RT days after Avdiivka’s capture, a reporter walks through the bunkers of Zenit, rifling through what Ukrainian forces left behind, including several boxes of ammunition and laundry on a line.

Outside, the men’s bodies lay in a heap dusted with snow.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The groundwork is certainly being laid for a "So long and thanks for the memories. Best of luck in your future endeavours."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

The groundwork is certainly being laid for a "So long and thanks for the memories. Best of luck in your future endeavours."

I don't recall telling the Ukrainians "good luck"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The question of "territory or lives" is actually an extremely easy one that has been repeatedly solved throughout history, particularly in Eastern Europe.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So now that Nuland is gone, who is the Ukraine guy in the State dept to tell Zelensky to take the L?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

So now that Nuland is gone, who is the Ukraine guy in the State dept to tell Zelensky to take the L?

Doesn't need to be anyone.

Hear me out. You just... stop sending stuff. Let nature and physics take their course. That way your name isn't on anything awkward.

If you need a name to keep slava'ing for some reason just use Lindsey Graham. I don't know if it matters but gently caress it he'll understand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bneintellinews/status/1770716994926411889

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sure but why?

Like an actor I need to be told my motivation.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Sure but why?

To denazify the regimes and protect the persecuted Russians from genocide

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

DancingShade posted:

Sure but why?

Prettier borders. The Baltics just look like they belong to Russia, especially with Kaliningrad.

But yeah you definitely say the de-nazification one out loud.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Enjoy posted:

good point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Enjoy posted:

yup

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Enjoy posted:

Enjoy posted:

the ukrainian defenders around bakhmut are continuing to resist wagner's neo-nazi penal forces and are shaping conditions for the counter-offensive which will throw out the fascist invaders

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

can’t be right all the time

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Легитимный posted:

#rumors #layout
Istanbul's Adjenda-2
Our source from Zelensky's entourage shared information about the Turkish initiative for a peaceful settlement within the framework of negotiations on strategic stability between the United States and Russia with the participation of Ukraine, which Erdogan has been promoting since the end of last year. On March 8, Erdogan announced Turkey's readiness to organize and hold a peace summit with the participation of Russia.

According to Erdogan's proposals, the conditions for peace and guarantees of Ukraine's security could be:

- Immediate cessation of hostilities;
- Ukraine's receipt from the United States and the Russian Federation of joint guarantees of security and territorial integrity in the actual borders at the time of the ceasefire;
- Ukraine's commitment to be a non-aligned, neutral, demilitarized and non-aligned state by 2040;
- the commitment of the Russian Federation to hold in 2040 (no later than 6 months from the date of the national referendum on the geopolitical situation of Ukraine after 2040) new referendums on "territorial affiliation" in the territories of Ukraine controlled by the Russian Federation;
- exchange of prisoners of war, other detained persons and the bodies of dead soldiers no later than one month according to the formula "all for all";
- The United States, Russia and Turkey support Ukraine's desire to join the European Union.

According to the source, the Istanbul-2 proposal was rejected by the Ukrainian side.
(from t.me/legitimniy/17488, via tgsa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007