Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Bit of a buried lede, here.

quote:

Husband doesn’t know my birthday.

My[32F] husband[35M] and I have been together for ten years, married for three.

Last night we were discussing plans for the upcoming few months. My birthday is early next month. While discussing plans I casually mentioned by birthday. He instantly froze. I asked if he knew when it was. I was mostly joking. He named three dates that were all wrong. His response is what hurt the most “Well I have a lot of other poo poo to remember.” He can’t even be bothered to remember his wife and mother of his children’s birthday.

Turns out he relies on me talking about it or his mom reminding him each year.

He recently had an emotional affair. This was just an extra punch in the guts.

TL; DR - my husband doesn’t know my birthday after being married for 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Fellow teacher here, if I had a kid who was being bullied by one of my students, I would A) request admin switch that kid to another class, because that would be a huge conflict of interests, and b) I would have as little contact with that student as possible. There are a bunch of other teachers in that building who can mentor that kid, my family comes first.

yeah thinking about it its a huge ethical issue that shes even teaching him in the first place. guess IATA

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what's weird, I think of the three types of affairs (physical, emotional, both) I feel like the emotional may be the biggest breach of trust

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

But maybe mentoring mom will take in the bully as a replacement son! Win-win--he gets a good home, she gets to have helped a kid in need. The only loser here would be her actual son, but you know, she doesn't care about him.

For indebted wife, I love how she not only thinks she should be good to go on this vacation, but she wants to put the expenses on her only credit card that isn't maxed out. She's nowhere near ready to pay off that debt. Even if he saves her from it she'll be back in the red by the end of the year.

And DNA dad was already checked out. He literally refused to help with his newborn child for 3 months until his trusted wife of 10 years got a DNA test. And how much is he helping even now if she's always in a part of the house where he isn't? Certainly she doesn't trust this fool to take care of the baby he ignored because he "just wanted to be sure."

Anyway, content! Here's a story that starts out kind of sucky and takes a turn into WTF

AITAH for forcing my fiancé into cutting off his late wife’s family?

quote:

I, 25f, am getting married to my fiancé, 29m, in May. When we first got together he told me that he was married from 20-22yrs old to his high school sweetheart (we met when he was 25) but she passed of sepsis from a botched surgery. He didn’t cope well and stayed in contact with her family, namely father and two sisters, 19 and 24.

It was a soft spot for me for a while at the beginning because there was so much history they had that we would not have and it was tough knowing that she was all around him. I never told him and decided to work through it on my own, especially with the fact that he would often spend time with her family during our relationship. Her birthday, their anniversary and anniversary of her death, he’d spend the day with her family. It was uncomfortable at first knowing the man I loved was reminiscing about love he had with someone else but I kept trying to see it from his perspective and the last couple years I am completely secure in our relationship and it doesn’t bother me much any more.

Well, he proposed this time last year and I was over the moon. I love this man with all my heart but I recently learned that he never told them that we got engaged. I’ve been trying local coffee shops the past few months rather than my usual run and tried a new one. His LWs sister worked there and other than being awkward, she did a double take of my engagement ring and looked really unhappy. I didn’t mention it and left.

My fiancé told me that she kept messaging him on social media about it and I wasn’t happy that he kept it a secret. He apologised and was very depleted by it all. He said that he didn’t want to hide me but he didn’t want to hurt them either and that both of us were a huge part of his life. I understand that and let him off the hook slightly, just told him to be upfront with them from now on. That was that. At least I thought so.

A week ago, on Sunday, I got a message from the 24yr old asking if I was happy with myself, that I would never replace his LW and that if she was still alive he’d chose her over me every time. She even said that he only kept me around for me money and something to stick his d*ck in. I ignored it but I can’t say that it didn’t effect me. When you’re in my position, all these points are ones you have to work through and it’s not easy to get over those insecurities. It feels like a knock in the teeth when they’re used against you.

I mentioned it to him and he comforted me and reassured me. He said he’d set boundaries with her and I’d never have to hear from her again. Fine by me.

That was until i found my car with ‘wh*re’ and ‘grave robber’ smeared in red paint. I had saved for this car for a year and it was expensive, very expensive. The tires were slashed and the windows cracked. I asked the store a few doors down for their CCTV camera footage of that night but it was blurry and didn’t catch much. It did manage to catch half a licence plate though and the colour and make of a car. It was his LWs youngest sister’s car.

I told him I was filing a police report and he asked me to hold off until he talked to them first. I told him no but I would if they paid for the damages and apologised to my face.

He set up the meeting for last night and it didn’t go well to say the least. Everyone was shouting. The sisters told me they, yes both of them, had nothing to be sorry for and that I should leave their family alone, including my fiancé in their family. He told them that it wasn’t fair to him to be lonely forever and that he’d hoped they’d be supportive of him finding love again. They told him he was betraying LW and that he never loved her if he’d marry someone else. They didn’t have a problem with him having a new gf because he’d ’realise she was the only one for him’ and get tired of me. Now that hadn’t happened, they were putting their foot down. The youngest told him to tell me that they were right and that he’d never love anyone like LW. My fiancé broke down at the table.

I picked him up and made us leave. I told them I’d be filing a report and suing for damages, and the next time they saw us would be in court. When we got back and calmed down I gave him an ultimatum. Either he cuts contact or we call of the wedding and go out separate ways. I wasn’t going to live my life with this harassment and someday subject my children to their bullying. He said they would never bully a child but I shot him down and said he didn’t expect any of this either.

He called their father, who was fairly chill about it all but still defending his daughters. They say I shouldn’t control him and that I’m horrible for cutting them off. I don’t know what to do. I can’t live like this and I don’t think I should have to just because we’re getting married.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Troublemaker posted:

They're gonna gun her down at the wedding before the vows are done 👰:blastu:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Troublemaker posted:

Anyway, content! Here's a story that starts out kind of sucky and takes a turn into WTF

You missed two updates:

quote:

Hey everyone, just a mini update to clear some things up before I have a discussion with my fiancé either later today or tomorrow about my ultimatum.

I didn’t sleep at all yesterday or the night before, for obvious reasons. There’s a ding on my phone at least once an hour from them saying one thing or another, mainly the 19yo and I don’t know what they’ve told people but I’ve got a message from one of their uncles and grandparents calling me horrible stuff too. So obviously they’ve been spreading what’s happened this week and twisting it.

I haven’t blocked them because I want to gain as much evidence as I can for the inevitable case. Regardless of any outcome with my fiancé, I will be suing and filing a criminal case for harassment and vandalism and looking for a restraining order. I just haven’t had the mental fortitude to do so yet. I’m hoping my fiancé will help me.

I haven’t spoken to my fiancé since the argument at the table, other than to tell him they go or I do. It was my choice to give him a couple days space to come to terms with everything and I will contact him when I’m ready. All of this, from the first message till now has been a week. It’s a huge weight to contemplate leaving people you’ve known for 15 years and who you grew up with.

He did set hard boundaries with the sister from the coffee shop as I’ve seen the messages. He said, paraphrasing, ‘you have no right talking to OP at all if this is how you’re going to behave. She doesn’t deserve this and you’ve gone too far. Why are you being like this?’ And she responded with more name calling and back and forth. He ended by saying not to message me again and to make sure everyone else does the same. I was happy with that. At this point only one person in that family had an issue, to my knowledge, so it was silly to have him cut all of them off. It may not be enough for some but it was enough for me to feel safe and comfortable.

For those saying he needs therapy and counselling, he’s already getting it. He’s been getting it since before we even started dating after an incident at work. I don’t know about any of their family though. The first time I had a conversation with any of them was that night.

Some people are wondering what LW died of, and it was a botched weight loss surgery where she died of sepsis. People were wondering if he was somehow the reason behind the surgery, hence the family’s insane reaction, but he was not in the slightest. He likes bigger women and wouldn’t pressure something like that onto her, speaking from experience.

I also want to clear up the not calling the police about the car thing. It was entirely my idea to not file charges in exchange for a face to face apology and damage payment. He only wanted me to wait so that he could talk to her to see if she regretted it and then have her father pay the damages. At the time, we thought it was just the 19yo that smashed up my car, not both daughters. Neither of us wanted to ruin her life. When I found out it was both of them, it was full steam ahead.

Thank you all for your messages and hopefully I’ll have a positive update for you tomorrow.

Edit: I chose for him to take this space apart, it’s not him being indecisive. I said to take time and that I’d reach out so that his decision is thought out. It’s for me. I don’t want to be chosen only to be three kids down the line and stuck in a resentment filled marriage. It’s for me. Please understand that.

quote:

Well what a wild morning I’ve had. My fiancé came over bright and early this morning and I’ve never been so drat tired. You may want to take a seat because this will be long. Sorry in advance.

First of all, I want to set the record straight here. A lot of people are coming for my fiancé over not cutting them off from the get go which I don’t think is fair. He’s a very mild mannered, calm and calculating person and that’s who I always knew he was. Nothing has changed. If he had been Rocky Balboa and flipped the cafe table shouting obscenities, he would not have been the man I fell in love with. He did exactly what I expected him to do and exactly what I was comfortable with. You may be attracted to other things in men and expect other things and that’s awesome, but not me.

Update

I text him saying I thought it was time to discuss this and he was back at home not a half hour later. He’d been staying with a friend the couple nights we had no contact. We sat on our bed to talk because my back is sore from all the packing and I wasn’t gonna force myself to sit at the table.

Before we even got to talking he asked if we could cuddle for a minute. It definitely took some of the weight off and we were able to talk like a couple and not awkward strangers because, regardless of some peoples beliefs, we do love each other and it took me a very long time to feel confident in that fact. Before anyone calls me a doormat again, no, I was still sure I would stick to my ultimatum.

The first thing I asked was if he felt he had enough time to make his decision and he said he didn’t need time. He was very shocked and bewildered at how so much could change in just a week and how everything he knew was shook up that he couldn’t think and went numb.

He did apologise that he didn’t take a more defensive stance at the cafe and he doesn’t want to make excuses for it. An explanation was that he genuinely didn’t expect such a vitriolic response. He hid the engagement because he knew they weren’t over LWs death and would be upset at the news. It wasn’t like I would feel upset by them NOT knowing, which I wasn’t really. He’s known these girls since before they were in double digits and he would never have thought them capable of it. It came so far out of left field that he froze.

I asked him if there was any possibility that either of them had a thing for him and he looked very confused and disturbed. I said how I’ve had people tell me it’s not uncommon for siblings to do this after loss and he thought on it. Turns out you were right. He said the 24yo, about 8 months after LWs death made a move and tried to kiss him. He immediately left and told her mother about it (mother and father are divorced now but weren’t then.) She was a minor at the time and messaged him saying she would be 18 soon so it wasn’t a big deal. Her mother made her see the school councillor and didn’t allow her to be alone with him for a while. It was years ago so he’d forgotten it even happened. He said he was sure that wasn’t the case now because it had been so long but I’m not so convinced. Not that it matters anymore.

He opened up his Facebook and gave it to me to read. 24yo had been messaging him which he ignored. She ranged from telling him off to crying and saying how betrayed the family was to trying to manipulate him against me. He said he was sure that he needed to put them behind him, and had been thinking it on and off since he proposed, but couldn’t bring himself to do it. After this week, the fire was lit and he knew what he had to do. It was all just abstract until suddenly it was very real.

He asked me how I’ve been coping and I told him. I felt like I’d done everything right but somehow things turned out worse than if I’d been the jealous type and stopped their contact at the beginning. I tried to be understanding and put in so much effort to be secure in myself and our relationship only for everything I worked on to be thrown in my face like I was a mistress that was cheating with him. He didn’t blink the entire time and just listened. He said he should have been more observant and realised I was struggling with this so that he could help me but I’ve always been the ‘strong one’ so he neglected to and he’ll do better.

As I’ve said in a few comments now, his parents had him in their late 40s and are retired. He hates to involve them in negativity but I was stunned when he said he’s been talking to them about this since the first Facebook message. They were very understanding but his father took a tough love approach. He said the best quote I think I’ve ever heard. ‘Get your act together before the jig is up.’ They offered to come stay for a while and help us move. I don’t think that’s necessary but I really appreciated the thought.

On the subject of moving. I made it clear that I would not be living in this house any longer than I had to and he completely agreed. His parents offered to find us a place in their state if we wanted to have more of a support network and I’m honestly considering it after all this. They’re only a state away from my own family so we’d be a lot better off. His job is remote and I should be able to find work there easily enough.

I’ve been in contact with a friend who’s a mechanic and they’ve quoted me between 1-2k for the damages, but that’s an ‘at cost’ estimate as a discount. A few people have said to get a real statement and to shop around. The real cost is between 4-5k and that’s just for the noticeable damage. My friend thinks they’ve done something to the engine so thank God I couldn’t drive it anywhere. He thinks I may be entitled to a replacement car all together. If so, I will be sure to sue for it and that’s not gonna be cheap.

After all the emotional things were discussed he mentioned when would I be comfortable enough to go to the police. I made clear he was okay with that or id go on my own. He said, the surest I’ve ever seen him, that this is what needed to be done and he wasn’t going to let them continue. He’d done enough to try and shield them but he wasn’t going to let it come at my expense. I’m currently in the bath frothing in bathbombs but we’ll be going to the station as soon as I’m done. He’s down stairs right now printing out the new quotes from the mechanics and the messages 24yo sent him over the past couple days so we can go prepared. People have said that nothing will come of it, and you may be right. But I have to try. Hoping my local police don’t have anything better to do. It’s a small town.

To finish, I made a point of asking again if he would cut them off or I had to go. He didn’t miss a beat and said that they’re no longer going to be a part of his life, even if I decided to leave. He did ask for one last meeting to say goodbye to her parents and to put a close on that part of his life, and to explain to the girls that this is not my fault but his decision after seeing how cruel they were capable of being. After that, we would block them on everything and move forward. I was completely fine with that.

So, there we have it. Writing all this out and being able to talk to people about everything has been both helpful and a good distraction from the dumpster fire that was my life and everything worked out as well as I could have hoped. We’ll see how his meeting goes with them. I’m sure they won’t be very happy about it but that’s not my problem.

Thank you all and I’ll update after they’ve met up.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

babypolis posted:

i may have a warped perspective

Extremely, yes

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Hughlander posted:

You missed two updates:

Awesome, looking forward to Update #3!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
No, it's okay officer. You see we were just really mad at her.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Til death do us part and then we bury you in her grave like an offering to a pharaoh.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That one sister really angling for a reverse Levirate marriage

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mordiceius posted:

Couples that marry but don't combine their finances are disgusting freaks.

I know a couple like this, but they started out as roommates first and it works for them. It wouldn't work for me.

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

PokeJoe posted:

I'll say it: green bean casserole is a bad dish

Anything involving green beans sux

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Almost got me to inadvertently jump straight into a food opinion derail from last year there.
You're both wrong btw :smugdog:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh hey, how about some more birthday poo poo

AITA? Husband bought tickets to see his favorite band for my 30th birthday?

quote:

I turn 30 in June. I almost never do anything for my birthday. The last time I tried, my grandparents let me use their timeshare for a few days and I ended up getting covid. Long story short, basically since I turned 29 I’ve been telling my husband I wanted to do something sort of special for my 30th birthday. I requested the time off work which was just granted this week so I was just waiting for that to start planning and paying for things. Even though my husband knew this he dropped $400 on concert tickets to see his favorite band the day before my birthday and in the middle of the week off I had requested.

I told him I’m a bit upset and I felt he was being selfish by buying the tickets during the week I was trying to plan a vacation for us for my birthday without ever talking to me about it. The band in question is also coming to a town 2.5 hours away in August, but he thought it would “be a good surprise” and that I should “be grateful he wanted to share this experience with me.”

I just feel a bit hurt and my husband says I’m being unreasonable… so I have to ask, people of reddit, AITA?

What, you should be happy I deigned to include you in my plans for me, the important person here, to do what I enjoy

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

ad090 posted:

AITAH for telling my mom she is dead to me if she mentors my bully?

This is depressing but hilarious, Mom had the choice- like, was clearly given the choice between "my child's bully" and "my actual child"- and now that she's chosen the bully, she's bullying her child and her child is (justifiably) bullying her. With any luck the child's bully is also bullying her. I always think it's amazing when people are told "doing this will hurt me, please don't do it" and they do it and are hurt and astonished that the other person is hurt and acts accordingly.

Years ago I was part of a small volunteer group with a member whose behavior caused seriously problems, blah blah blah, and what's weird is that when this person's behavior started to break laws I was the person in the group who said "We need to remove this person, this is unacceptable" and the other two people in the group were really reluctant to do anything at all about it and one of those two people is a lawyer.

I just don't have any patience for people who get information and then try to argue with it. Someone on the boards used the phrase "arguing with reality" once and it really sums it up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Another game of ‘you know I don’t like this thing, but you did it anyway’.

AITA for refusing to eat a meal my girlfriend made and hurting her feelings?

quote:

So my girlfriend had her whole family over at our place the other day and she cooked her best recipe; an egg casserole.

The issue here is that I really hate eggs. I don't like the smell, the texture, the sight and I especially hate the taste of eggs and I've hated eggs my whole life. My girlfriend knows this and she doesn't force me to eat eggs but she begged me to try her casserole.

At dinner I tried it and my girlfriend was looking at me and she knew i didn't like it. I had to pour a lot of ketchup on the casserole and pinch my nose just so I could eat it. Her cousins asked me what was wrong and my gf explained my aversion to eggs and they understood. My gf on the other hand sounded like she was offended and she told me that she cooked her eggs so they didn't taste like eggs.

We have a lot of leftovers and last night I made myself some kraft macaroni. My gf asked me why I wasn't having any of the casserole and I was surprised that she even asked. I told her I didn't like it and she looked at me silently for like a minute and went to our room where she went to bed.

I can tell she is mad at me.

EDIT: she just texted me and told me she was upset with me last night because I was able to eat her casserole when her family was over and she had assumed I would be able to eat it going forward. I haven't responded yet

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ApplesandOranges posted:

Another game of ‘you know I don’t like this thing, but you did it anyway’.

AITA for refusing to eat a meal my girlfriend made and hurting her feelings?

Eat the eggs, OP

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

Eat the eggs, Smoosh Moof

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

trickybiscuits posted:

This is depressing but hilarious, Mom had the choice- like, was clearly given the choice between "my child's bully" and "my actual child"- and now that she's chosen the bully, she's bullying her child and her child is (justifiably) bullying her. With any luck the child's bully is also bullying her. I always think it's amazing when people are told "doing this will hurt me, please don't do it" and they do it and are hurt and astonished that the other person is hurt and acts accordingly.

how in heck is her child bullying her?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how in heck is her child bullying her?

Shunning is technically a form of bullying. Not that the kid is wrong to exercise the only autonomy he has.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"I don't think you cheated, now take this test that would only be necessary if you cheated. No no no I don't think you did. But you might have. I'm sure you didn't. But lol what if you did? Joking, I'm just joking! Unless..."

*a few moments later*

"Why doesn't my wife like me anymore? Maybe a podcast will fix her!"

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITAH for telling my boyfriend no to wearing a clown hat in public?

quote:

My boyfriend (m21) and me (f19) have been dating for a while, everything was great, we seemed to really kick it off and share the same values. We've been dating a few months.

However, he has a thing I don't really understand? He has a big clown hat with little bells that make sounds, and everytime he puts it on, he acts like a totally different person. He calls himself "the jester" and makes weird noises. At first, I thought it was just a silly joke and I laughed along, but he never stopped doing it and even suggested showing "the jester" to my friends and family.

Ever since then, all we argue about is the jester, he says "just let me jest" but I'm seriously weirded out, I don't know if it's an alter ego thing, I'm pretty sure he's autistic too so maybe it's related.

He never really explained it, all he said was "I'm just the jester babe." I don't know if he's messing with me or not. I don't know what to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bullies tend to quickly learn how to identify credulous authority figures and how to manipulate them. It's often not hard. Just tell them what they want to believe. Not like their own child, partner or other people who have actual needs, vulnerabilities, and agency they can't ignore.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Let the man jest.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

artsy fartsy posted:

he's a manic pixie dream dope

in the movie based on the AITAH he'd be played by Pauly Shore

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Troublemaker posted:

Awesome, looking forward to Update #3!
You and me both, I look forward to the sisters having an absolute meltdown over being told the consequences of their actions :suspense: I predict an actual feet-stamping tantrum

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Almost feels Iike fiction but drat good fiction if it is.

Deaths in the family do often break people. I wonder if the late wife was the family scapegoat. Or keystone golden child.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Man Balatro really is the hot new indie game huh

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not returning money my ex-husband sent to me mistakenly?

quote:

A few days ago my ex-husband mistakenly transferred two payments of 8700 and 9275. He did this at around 7:40am in the morning and I didn’t notice because I had just worked a double/night shift and was getting ready for bed. So my phone was charging on the nightstand. At the same time my 4 children were at my parents and so I planned to sleep away half the day. I guess he realized his mistake around 8:30am and by then I was dead asleep. I woke up at around 4pm to at least a hundred missed calls and maybe 150 texts asking and begging me to sent him back the money. My initial thoughts were to send it back but then I remembered he owed me 12000 and hasn’t payed me back since I lended it to him 4 years ago and he’s had a million excuses why he can’t pay me back and yet I always see him living it up. I kept the amount he owed me and returned only 5975 and told him I deducted his debt. Since then I’ve had him call me every book in the name because this was apparently money he was saving to buy his girlfriend a engagement ring, the engagement venue etc so according to him he had to tell her. This then led to it ruining the surprise engagement he planned for the next weekend. His girlfriend has been bad mouthing me and it has caused a bit of a poo poo storm with me having to shut down my social media and even his parents who I had a cordial relationship has been impacted by it. I discussed the situation with a friend and colleague and it was overheard by another colleague and he has called what I did a dickhead move and I guess he shared it with a couple of other people and now I’m not to sure anymore on whether I am being a rear end in a top hat or not. Is this a rear end in a top hat move?

Edit- The money was loaned to him after our divorce we’ve been divorced for 7 years and I loaned him the money 4 years ago after he had lost his job and fell behind on bills and his rent. This has nothing to do with his child support payments (of which he is also behind on) and that’s being handled by family court/the child support company. There are texts of him asking for a loan and it included a repayment plan and time but he never stuck to it. So there’s a legal trail if he ever decided to involve the law but I seriously doubt he would because it would cost way more to sue me and I think I would’ve won in court since I only deducted his debt to me.

Yes he is the father of our 4 kids. I also didn’t deduct the overdue child support payments because that is being handled by the courts and I don’t want to muddy the water and get myself in trouble. The child support company is aware of his arrears and if I’m not mistaken he will need to start paying soon or they’ll start garnering his wages.

Edit 2- Yes I could’ve sued him for the debt but it would’ve cost me way more to hire a lawyer. Suing someone isn’t cheap. Lawyers cost real money and a lawsuit takes real time.

Edit 3- When I say “then I remembered he owed me money” you have to understand I had just woken up after having worked a double shift (I’m a nurse) and I was still kind of exhausted when I woke up, I could barely remember my own name let alone anything else so my initial instinct was just to return the money but I quickly got to my senses!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AITA for ruining at a family dinner because of my “golden child” sister?

quote:

I (F17) have a younger sister, Emily (F16) Even though they don’t say it explicitly, Emily is clearly my parents’ favourite child. I can understand why they’re proud of Emily: she is a straight A student, has the lead roles in student theatre, swims competitively, is popular at school, and very, very good looking.

I, on the other hand, am probably more plain. I work hard at school, but am not as outgoing or intelligent as Emily, and don’t excel at any extracurriculars like she does.

My parents always celebrate Emily; we have certificates of her work on the fridge, always have outings and meals to commemorate her achievements, and attend all her swim events and plays. I know my parents love me, but I don’t get close to the level of attention, even when I work hard.

The other night, we went out with my parents, uncle, aunt, and cousins. We’d just been to one of Emily’s shows, and she recently got accepted onto a summer scheme she was wanting to complete. The whole meal revolved around discussing Emily and how proud everyone was of her accomplishments. I don’t think I was mentioned once.

I’m usually more reserved or just bite my tongue but midway through the meal I shouted out “maybe if you paid more attention to me and not just your golden child, you’d have more things to celebrate”.

Everyone just went silent and my mom said we’d discuss this when we got home and not to ruin the meal. Emily looked shocked and close to crying. To say the rest of the meal was awkward would be putting it lightly.

When we got home, my parents shouted at me for embarrassing them and said that Emily deserves to be celebrated and that if I did something that merited celebration, I would receive the same treatment. I said how unfair this was and nothing I do gets recognised regardless. Emily joined in and said she works hard and deserves to be recognised for that and as the older sister, I should grow up and actually work for once if I want her success.

I haven’t spoken to Emily since then and my parents are still annoyed at me for ruining the meal.

AITA?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Did I (32m) ruin my marriage by requesting a dna test?

I love her immediately noping out after he showed her the podcasts.

quote:

...she started staying in different parts of the house. Parts I wasn’t in at the time.

Guy is a turd but this line is some Hemingway poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

keep punching joe posted:

Let the man jest.

But Doctor, my boyfriend is The Jester.

Mx. posted:

:owned:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mx. posted:

WTF is a "child support company?" Some agency that manages payments? I've never heard of such a thing. Seems ripe as gently caress for scummy exploitation.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for turning my cousin gay and then everyone against eachother.

quote:

I(20F) started a huge misunderstanding in my family over something that happened years ago.

It all started five years ago when I was 15 and was staying in the countryside with my aunt and her son for summer break.

For context, my aunt hates gay people, not just that it is a sin in our religion, but being homophobic was also her entire personality. And it wasn't just her; everyone in that place despised gay people.

Now at that time, I had a gf, let's call her April. April was around my age and also came from homophobic parents. And surprise surprise, my cousin, who was 18 then, let's call him Sam, also had a bf.

Sam and I never told anyone about our relationships. However, as teenagers, we wanted to spend time with our partners. But couldn't do that due to the homophobia, so we decided to troll everyone.

I pretended that Sam's bf was my bf, and he pretending that April was his gf. Everyone believed this, so whenever I was with April outside, I would be like "yo that's my cousin's girl".

The best part was that when one of our partners stayed over, they ended up sharing rooms with the person they were actually dating. For example, if I brought my "bf" home and he stayed the night, my aunt would make him share rooms with Sam. Likewise, whenever Sam brought April home, she would be in my room.

Genius! I know. And nobody figured it out until 2 days ago, my aunt called me and unleashed a barrage of insults. she used every slur you could ever imagine.Turns out Sam invited her to his wedding, He was marrying that same guy from 5 years ago.

She accused me of turning her "God-loving Christian son into a sinful man." This couldn't be my fault coz Sam and his bf were already together before I arrived. Anyways she thinks I'm the one who turned her son gay, that it is because of me that Sam and his bf did sleep together, And then they became gay??? I don't understand too I'm sorry.

After she hang up I started getting calls from my relatives, All of them insulted me. They blocked me on everything.Then after that they called my mom and insulted her as well.

My mom was confused as to what was going on. she asked me what happened.I ended up telling her everything.

I've never told her how I spent that summer before this. The thing that she focused on was that back when I was pretending that Sam's bf was my bf. He was 19 and I was 15.

My mom lost it when she found out that my aunt was actually okay with me dating someone that was way older than me when I was 15. And my aunt didn't even bother to call and tell her that.

My mom started calling my relatives and then screaming at them. Some of them took my aunts side and some my mom's side. And are now arguing with each other through the phone as I am writing this down.

Sam called and apologized for the way his mom acted.He said that she is crazy and that he had cut her off after what happened. So AITA?

OP and her cousin are geniuses.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for turning my cousin gay and then everyone against eachother.

OP and her cousin are geniuses.

Top tier trolling by Sam too, inviting homophobe auntie (or is she his mum?) to his gay wedding.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Runcible Cat posted:

Top tier trolling by Sam too, inviting homophobe auntie (or is she his mum?) to his gay wedding.

Looks like mom

quote:

She accused me of turning her "God-loving Christian son into a sinful man."

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Why would you post it to AITA though? She couldn't have turned her cousin gay. She obviously doesn't think she did. Her relatives are all homophobes. In what world, other than in some bigot's deluded mind, are you the rear end in a top hat? At that point you're just humble-bragging about a cool thing you did on AITA for upvotes.

"Hi guys, me and buddies landed at Normandy and retook France from the Nazis. AITA?"

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 21, 2024

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Because she "tricked" her aunt into letting the BF and GF stay with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

She should lean into it and say that yes she absolutely turned her cousin gay and people should be careful how they speak to her if they ever want grandkids.