Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Would be nice if they had actual numbers, not just ranks. They could all be basically the same, or there could be clear groupings.

Aside from that, that sort of stat would benefit a lot from a division into, at the very least, male/female.

GABA ghoul posted:

It's completely worthless for ranking safety though. Crime perception and crime are not necessarily correlated(or have become anti-correlated in many places due to sensationalist media reporting). It's still useful for understanding public anxieties about safety though.

IIRC Spain has one of the lowest murder rates on the planet, which is usually correlated with low violent crime. I doubt it would show up in the last few places in a real safety ranking.
Not like the only threat is crime. Traffic and wild animals could be a threat in some places, though admittedly polar bears are somewhat rare in most of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Blut posted:

The countries included by itself should throw up red flags for likely having very questionable veracity. It includes Georgia and North Macedonia, but not EU members like Belgium, Ireland or Sweden that would have more reliable, and more comparable to the rest, data.

Numbeo is also completely trash for things like this, its entirely subjective reporting on how safe someone felt walking down a street. For all you know the person doing the reporting is some fedora wearing American who's on their first trip outside of Kansas.

Why would self-reporting from North Macedonia be less reliable than from Belgium? And why would a response to "Do you feel safe walking at night?" be less comparable? Are Macedonians so savage and alien to us EU members?

BTW there are stats for those countries too of course but they didn't make the top-20 list. And there are hundreds of reports per city, which isn't enormous, but also wouldn't be tipped by a fedora-wearing American who decided to lie about living in one of the European cities.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why would self-reporting from North Macedonia be less reliable than from Belgium? And why would a response to "Do you feel safe walking at night?" be less comparable? Are Macedonians so savage and alien to us EU members?

BTW there are stats for those countries too of course but they didn't make the top-20 list. And there are hundreds of reports per city, which isn't enormous, but also wouldn't be tipped by a fedora-wearing American who decided to lie about living in one of the European cities.
I think the issue here is mostly the fact that it's about perception, which includes expectations. Say a country was extremely safe, but just had a doubling of violent night crime in recent years. Suddenly, the streets feel much less safe than the baseline people had gotten used to, causing the country to fall down the rankings, possibly past much less safe countries that have just been consistently bad - or even improved a little, making the streets feel safer than the baseline expectation.

That said, I can't find any stats that really justify acting like North Macedonia couldn't be reasonably perceived as safe, especially in comparison to Belgium and Sweden.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd feel pretty safe in German Fußgang zones but anywhere near a road and I'm looking over my shoulder.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GABA ghoul posted:

It's completely worthless for ranking safety though. Crime perception and crime are not necessarily correlated(or have become anti-correlated in many places due to sensationalist media reporting). It's still useful for understanding public anxieties about safety though.

IIRC Spain has one of the lowest murder rates on the planet, which is usually correlated with low violent crime. I doubt it would show up in the last few places in a real safety ranking.

Home break ins and squatting (not sure about if that's the correct term, apologies) have gone down the last few years in Spain, but the sales for alarm systems have increased until we're the fourth country in number of alarms (not per capita, total). Both the companies selling them and right wing parties have been waving the fear of immigration and crime flags for years, and it shows.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the issue here is mostly the fact that it's about perception, which includes expectations. Say a country was extremely safe, but just had a doubling of violent night crime in recent years. Suddenly, the streets feel much less safe than the baseline people had gotten used to, causing the country to fall down the rankings, possibly past much less safe countries that have just been consistently bad - or even improved a little, making the streets feel safer than the baseline expectation.

That said, I can't find any stats that really justify acting like North Macedonia couldn't be reasonably perceived as safe, especially in comparison to Belgium and Sweden.

That's a fair point and maybe explains why Scandinavian countries are doing so poorly on the list.

Fat Samurai posted:

Home break ins and squatting (not sure about if that's the correct term, apologies) have gone down the last few years in Spain, but the sales for alarm systems have increased until we're the fourth country in number of alarms (not per capita, total). Both the companies selling them and right wing parties have been waving the fear of immigration and crime flags for years, and it shows.

Where is Sweden on that metric? I was in Stockholm this summer and walked through a cozy residential neighborhood and literally every house on both sides of the street had an alarm system. That's still rare in Croatia.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Doctor Malaver posted:

Statistical comparisons between EU countries tend to be a lot more accurate than comparisons between EU and non-EU countries. Primarily because there are EU standard reporting measures in lots of areas these days, which helps hugely with the data compatability.

As well as that you have the issues like wealth, police funding/effectiveness, and corruption, which influence the reporting of crime figures heavily. All of which would favour rich Northern European countries over Macedonia or Georgia.

And presumably I don't need to clarify why self-reported figures from an internet website are less reliable than academic or state research figures.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Blut posted:

Statistical comparisons between EU countries tend to be a lot more accurate than comparisons between EU and non-EU countries. Primarily because there are EU standard reporting measures in lots of areas these days, which helps hugely with the data compatability.

As well as that you have the issues like wealth, police funding/effectiveness, and corruption, which influence the reporting of crime figures heavily. All of which would favour rich Northern European countries over Macedonia or Georgia.

That would be true if we were looking at institutional data. We aren't. We're looking at crowd-sourced data.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

That would be true if we were looking at institutional data. We aren't. We're looking at crowd-sourced data.

Yes, thats why my post said, and I quote verbatim:

"Numbeo is also completely trash for things like this, its entirely subjective reporting on how safe someone felt walking down a street. For all you know the person doing the reporting is some fedora wearing American who's on their first trip outside of Kansas."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I guess self-reported/survey data of perception could be interested if contrasted with actual crime stats but as it is :shrug:

Anecdotally, I was just in Barcelona and my friend warned me to never go to some district that I've since forgotten, but I'm absolutely sure is actually perfectly safe. Maybe not like "walk around drunk at 2am with the wallet sticking out of the back pocket" safe but not like you'll get randomly murdered there.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's a fair point and maybe explains why Scandinavian countries are doing so poorly on the list.

Where is Sweden on that metric? I was in Stockholm this summer and walked through a cozy residential neighborhood and literally every house on both sides of the street had an alarm system. That's still rare in Croatia.
You can get a discount on your home insurance if you get a certified alarm system in Sweden.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I guess self-reported/survey data of perception could be interested if contrasted with actual crime stats but as it is :shrug:

Anecdotally, I was just in Barcelona and my friend warned me to never go to some district that I've since forgotten, but I'm absolutely sure is actually perfectly safe. Maybe not like "walk around drunk at 2am with the wallet sticking out of the back pocket" safe but not like you'll get randomly murdered there.

If it was El Raval then a lot of people are told the same thing and also find it safer than advertised. Barcelona however, does have a reputation for having issues with pickpocketers, and I am always extremely cautious when walking around there. A few of my friends & family were pickpocketed, but never assaulted/robbed by force.

Those who got smacked, were drunk and absolutely asking for trouble :v:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.ft.com/content/02e6cca7-6cdd-44e3-9d1e-71ea9883f4b2

quote:

The French government has pledged to cut another €10bn out of this year’s budget as weaker economic growth makes its earlier fiscal plans untenable.

With much of Europe stuck in a period of sluggish growth, the French economy is expected to expand only 1 per cent this year, according to revised government forecasts released on Monday, down from the 1.4 per cent that had been the basis for the 2024 budget. “Lower growth means lower tax receipts, so the government must spend less,” finance minister Bruno Le Maire said in a news conference announcing the new measures.

The 2024 budget already included roughly €16bn in cuts, mostly from phasing out energy subsidies, but the additional cuts are needed to meet a commitment to reduce the budget deficit to 4.4 per cent this year. Le Maire promised there would be no tax increases to plug the hole, casting it as a consistent policy choice that President Emmanuel Macron’s government has stuck to since 2017. “We have cut taxes and won’t deviate from this line. French people can’t bear any more tax,” he said. The moves come as France is under pressure from credit rating agencies and national finance and audit watchdogs to defend its deficit-cutting plan, which is slower than most other EU countries.

Brussels has recently struck a deal on reimposing revised fiscal rules that were suspended because of the pandemic and the war in Ukraine. Analysts expect France to be the least likely of the four biggest eurozone economies to meet the bloc’s new annual targets for cutting public debt and limiting public spending.

Half of the €10bn cuts will come from government ministries, such as spending less on hiring, procurement, travel and offices, while the rest will come from scaling back programs including subsidies for home renovations to reduce carbon emissions and international aid. Spending on healthcare and local governments will be protected from the cuts, said Le Maire.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
https://www.edps.europa.eu/press-pu...ions-and-bodies

Summary: use of Microsoft 365 by EU bodies is illegal.

quote:

Following its investigation, the EDPS has found that the European Commission (Commission) has infringed several key data protection rules when using Microsoft 365. In its decision, the EDPS imposes corrective measures on the Commission.

The EDPS has found that the Commission has infringed several provisions of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, the EU’s data protection law for EU institutions, bodies, offices and agencies (EUIs), including those on transfers of personal data outside the EU/European Economic Area (EEA). In particular, the Commission has failed to provide appropriate safeguards to ensure that personal data transferred outside the EU/EEA are afforded an essentially equivalent level of protection as guaranteed in the EU/EEA. Furthermore, in its contract with Microsoft, the Commission did not sufficiently specify what types of personal data are to be collected and for which explicit and specified purposes when using Microsoft 365. The Commission’s infringements as data controller also relate to data processing, including transfers of personal data, carried out on its behalf.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Step 1) Cut taxes for the wealthy
Step 2) A year or two later claim the deficit is now too large to fund public services at current level
Step 3) Cut public services because there "is no other option without increasing taxes on everyone"

Macron following the neoliberal playbook to the T

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

free movement of capital and fiscal sovereignty basically made redistributive politics completely impossible, so now it's a big race to the bottom baby!

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Mark Ames posted:

"German schoolchildren should be prepared for war to 'strengthen our resilience', the country’s education minister has said...'civil defence' exercises should be held in schools as part of efforts to help youngsters cope in the years to come."

:stare:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
War yes, but don't get used to the state spending any money.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
While she likely said something dumb I am confident that this Xeet by the esteemed Mark Ames is misleading without looking it up.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

true.spoon posted:

While she likely said something dumb I am confident that this Xeet by the esteemed Mark Ames is misleading without looking it up.

Ames quoting the Torygraph. Politics does make strange bedfellows.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Zivilschutz includes things like spotting misinformation on social media.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

So aggroposting on SA would count? What won't German engineers perfect

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

No wonder Ames and the Torygraph are against it

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rust Martialis posted:

No wonder Ames and the Torygraph are against it

eh he's not that bad

also

quote:

In the interview, Ms Stark-Watzinger, 55, said she also wanted to see more outreach work from members of the Bundeswehr, the German army, to make children feel more familiar with the armed forces.

“I think it is important that youth officers come to schools and report what the Bundeswehr is doing for our security,” she said.

How about we don't reintroduce a backwards martial culture and instead unfuck procurement and budgeting so our precious tax euros actually buy a credible deterrent force that can deploy half an hour's drive away from the barracks without breaking down on the side of the Autobahn

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

like, I don't give a gently caress about the army except as a tool to solve specific problems and I oppose personally supporting the troops (it's the defense budget's job to do that). if you want to involve the population reinstate the draft because at least that has the side benefits of teaching everyone what the army is and less self-selection of fashy dudebros into the ranks

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Zivilschutz has been a thing for many decades. When there's war within a day's drive from Berlin it's a pretty good idea to talk to students about it and be allocated the time to do it as well. There are plenty of classrooms where at least one child is directly affected, and indirectly everyone is. The news is full of war poo poo, gruesome pictures flood social media, etc.

I'm not a fan of having the military in school, but teachers' associations want to have the resources to deal with this poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In Britain we have already prepared for war by destroying the economy, leaving the poor on the precipice of starvation and depleting our military resources.

Oh for the start of a war? That's ridiculous.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Zivilschutz has been a thing for many decades. When there's war within a day's drive from Berlin it's a pretty good idea to talk to students about it and be allocated the time to do it as well. There are plenty of classrooms where at least one child is directly affected, and indirectly everyone is. The news is full of war poo poo, gruesome pictures flood social media, etc.

I'm not a fan of having the military in school, but teachers' associations want to have the resources to deal with this poo poo.

discussing war and civil defense to the extent of protecting yourself, sure. army propaganda gently caress no.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

In my US high school I had an (optional) class called Curent Events. By its nature it covered a lot of of the wars going on at the time. I feel like a mandatory class like that would be 1000% better than what that minister has in mind.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I recall Current Events was the precursor forum to Debate & Discussion, based off that class name.

In Europe's defence, and particularly in Germany, contemporary history is taught, hence the infamous case of the German student studying overseas in the US having to explain to an American classmate arguing against learning about slavery, that, actually, Germany does teach about the Holocaust, because it's important to learn from historical mistakes.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 21, 2024

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

As I recall Current Events was the precursor forum to Debate & Discussion, based off that class name.

In Europe's defence, and particularly in Germany, contemporary history is taught, hence the infamous case of the German student studying overseas in the US having to explain to an American classmate arguing against learning about slavery, that, actually, Germany does teach about the Holocaust, because it's important to learn from historical mistakes.

irony: Germany learning some oddly specific lessons instead of general rules against being lovely

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Who better to smugly tell Jewish Germans screaming about human rights to shut the gently caress up while a genocide is going on, after all?

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
I was bored enough to try to look up what she actually said but it turned out to be pretty annoying. The original interview is surprisingly difficult to find and literally every article concentrates on the same three snippets. The one interpreted as "students should be prepared for a war" seems to be "Die Gesellschaft muss sich insgesamt gut auf Krisen vorbereiten - von einer Pandemie über Naturkatastrophen bis zum Krieg." (Society overall has to prepare itself well for crisis events - ranging from a pandemic to natural disasters up to war.). A rather uncharitable interpretation of a fairly bland statement.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

true.spoon posted:

I was bored enough to try to look up what she actually said but it turned out to be pretty annoying. The original interview is surprisingly difficult to find and literally every article concentrates on the same three snippets. The one interpreted as "students should be prepared for a war" seems to be "Die Gesellschaft muss sich insgesamt gut auf Krisen vorbereiten - von einer Pandemie über Naturkatastrophen bis zum Krieg." (Society overall has to prepare itself well for crisis events - ranging from a pandemic to natural disasters up to war.). A rather uncharitable interpretation of a fairly bland statement.

Yeah this is like the least surprising turn of events ever. Media. :jerkbag:

In other EU news, Guardian reports that there's some worry apparently about Slovakia becoming more putinist: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/19/slovakia-russia-presidential-election

In Slovakia the recently elected prime minister Fico is a "Putin-understander", and now there's going to be a presidential election this weekend, with one of the two frontrunners apparently another Russia fan. I don't know much about this but I wonder how worried we should be.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fico has been around since forever and he's a pretty typical right-wing ghoul. Reminds me a bit of bibi but without a minority to oppress. I think he's less of a putinist and more of an authoritarian oval office. He's been a PM couple election cycles ago already.

The government before the current right-wing ones was pretty lefty so it's not a long-term trend at least.

e: Looking at wikipedia he was PM from 2006 to 2010 and then later again from 2012 to 2018.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 21, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fico simply follows the oh so familiar "disgraced social democrat -> fascist tinpot dictator" pipeline.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Both Fico and the previous government can be described as conservative populists, left or right don't really matter in Slovak politics. The real difference is that Fico is far more corrupt and has ties to oligarchs and that the previous government allowed investigators to start prosecuting corruption. Fico's party started on the left and was at least nominally pro-Western, but it's currently using far-right rhetoric and it became openly pro-Russian, hoping to become another Hungary in record time.

steinrokkan posted:

Fico simply follows the oh so familiar "disgraced social democrat -> fascist tinpot dictator" pipeline.
Yeah, basically

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Letting Slovakia secede was a mistake

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

true.spoon posted:

Is austerity considered a natural disaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is austerity considered a natural disaster?

By definition, it's man-made :v: