Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FirstnameLastname posted:

(some)psychologists do stuff
modern psychology is mostly focused on fixing problems caused by capitalism without having to remove capitalism, but it's not entirely made-up alt medicine like homeopathics
basically psychiatrists are to individual issues as psychologists are to societal
/systemic ones, they're mainly working on different stuff

Real hurthling! posted:

they are working mostly on phone gambling afaict

:hmmyes: modern psychology is mostly focused on exacerbating and papering over the problems caused by capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

FirstnameLastname posted:

(some)psychologists do stuff
modern psychology is mostly focused on fixing problems caused by capitalism without having to remove capitalism, but it's not entirely made-up alt medicine like homeopathics
basically psychiatrists are to individual issues as psychologists are to societal
/systemic ones, they're mainly working on different stuff

isn’t it sociologists who study societal problems

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vomik posted:

there are psychologists who do that. last week i sat in on a researcher's presentation of their work about neoliberalism and mental health outcomes being mediated by precarity. however, they did really try to drive in the point that this type of research is pretty rare in psychology and there needs to be more of it, though a lot of things in how psychological research and practice has been institutionalized thwarts that basically by design. I can't say the study was really done that well unfortunately.

I've never really studied sociology and don't know any sociologists but it always felt like a big missing chunk from psychology for no reason except ones that serve the ruling class.

e: to clarify i am discussing in a USA context. this isn't necessarily the case elsewhere but tends to be in places under USA/APA influence in psychology.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Mar 16, 2024

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vomik posted:

Social Psychology is the study of a group's effect on the individual, whereas Sociology is the study of groups in general

mawarannahr posted:

there are psychologists who do that. last week i sat in on a researcher's presentation of their work about neoliberalism and mental health outcomes being mediated by precarity. however, they did really try to drive in the point that this type of research is pretty rare in psychology and there needs to be more of it, though a lot of things in how psychological research and practice has been institutionalized thwarts that basically by design. I can't say the study was really done that well unfortunately.

I've never really studied sociology and don't know any sociologists but it always felt like a big missing chunk from psychology for no reason except ones that serve the ruling class.

I can't speak for psych but sociology is basically divided into three distinct schools which can be summarized as "Liberalism", "Marxism", and "whoa man did you know they still worship Apollo in Greece out in the boonies"

Chillgamesh has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Mar 16, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Clark Nova posted:

:hmmyes: modern psychology is mostly focused on exacerbating and papering over the problems caused by capitalism

as its overall function pretty much, yes
like nowadays most of their job is countering the psychologists that tobacco/gambling/etc companies hire to build addictions wider & deeper, definitely not doing nothing the way most alt medicine is and they'd still have a role outside of capitalism
they just prolly wouldn't constantly have new problems/situations every week in a system where exploiting and compromising an individuals decision-making abilities wasn't so rewarding bc of capitalism

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chillgamesh posted:

I can't speak for psych but sociology is basically divided into three distinct schools which can be summarized as "Liberalism", "Marxism", and "whoa man did you know they still worship Apollo in Greece out in the boonies"
:nice:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mawarannahr posted:

e: to clarify i am discussing in a USA context. this isn't necessarily the case elsewhere but tends to be in places under USA/APA influence in psychology.

ahh interesting. probably from popular portrayal but i associate psychologists with private practice / clinical which afaict is basically like a phd of therapy. this is opposed to psychiatrists who are “medical doctors” (e.g., they enter the room listen to the first half of your problem before they’re already out the door and all you gain from the experience is a prescription for a name brand drug you can’t afford)

also I didn’t realize gaming/gambling companies employ psych phd— assuming people aren’t being facetious - I could see why but it seems like something you’d just hire a roaming band of McKinsey people to implement for you rather than keeping someone on staff

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vomik posted:

ahh interesting. probably from popular portrayal but i associate psychologists with private practice / clinical which afaict is basically like a phd of therapy. this is opposed to psychiatrists who are “medical doctors” (e.g., they enter the room listen to the first half of your problem before they’re already out the door and all you gain from the experience is a prescription for a name brand drug you can’t afford)

also I didn’t realize gaming/gambling companies employ psych phd— assuming people aren’t being facetious - I could see why but it seems like something you’d just hire a roaming band of McKinsey people to implement for you rather than keeping someone on staff

a ton of phds from schools ive been around go straight to industry. it's often a hybrid kind of thing too. I recently read some work by this author for example
Sandra Matz | Columbia Business School

business.columbia.edu posted:

Areas of Expertise
Climate, Consumer Behavior, Decision Making & Negotiations, Leadership & Organizational Behavior
Sandra Matz takes a Big Data approach to studying human behavior in a variety of business-related domains. She combines methodologies from psychology and computer science – including machine learning, experimental designs, online surveys, and field studies – to explore the relationships between people’s psychological characteristics (e.g. their personality) and the digital footprints they leave with every step they take in the digital environment (e.g. their Facebook Likes or their credit card transactions). More specifically, her research focuses on the following three questions: (1) What can people’s digital footprints tell us about their socio-psychological characteristics? (2) What can people’s digital footprints tell us about the real-life consequences of their unique psychological characteristics? (3) How can insights extracted from people’s digital footprints help individuals and businesses make better decisions?

Sandra Matz works with business around the world and is a frequent keynote speaker for established businesses and institutions, including Microsoft, Trivago, or the European Commission. She was named one of the DataIQ’s 100 most influential people in data-driven marketing in 2015 and 2016, and was recognized as one of the 30 top thinkers under 30 by the Pacific Standard Magazine. Her work has been published top-tier journals such as Psychological Science and the American Psychologist, and has attracted worldwide media attention from outlets like the Independent, the BBC, CNBC, the Washington Post, the Chicago Tribune, and the World Economic Forum.

Featured Research in Brief

Participating in a Climate Prediction Market Increases Concern about Global Warming

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Mar 17, 2024

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's really wild how editors just let her mention woody Allen constantly particularly when shes interviewing people

https://twitter.com/skippy_0h/status/1769299043245527512?t=CGSTdeX_dzszJoRJBlcMsg&s=19

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chillgamesh posted:

i want to study the sociology of the third kind

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

in honor of st Patrick's day have a 100 year old Irish folk song about the FAILING daily mail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14lS1s1lBl4

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

in honor of st Patrick's day have a 100 year old Irish folk song about the FAILING daily mail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14lS1s1lBl4

Only true Patrick folk song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKSYGYP4a0

raisin kane
Dec 26, 2019
ty for transcribing some dipshit's tiktok or w/e in support of further militarizing the subway. searing portrait of my rear end hole

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-captures-searing-portrait-subway-155758596.html posted:

A Video Captures a Searing Portrait of the Subway, and of the City Above
Michael Wilson
Updated Sun, March 17, 2024 at 11:19 PM EDT·7 min read

The violent confrontation on the A train happened a little more than a week after the governor ordered the National Guard into the subway in an effort to allay safety concerns. (The New York Times)
NEW YORK — It always seems to start the same way.

I’ll beat you up!

A brush-fire confrontation between strangers in a subway loudly skyrockets toward hostility before anyone else is even sure who is yelling at whom, or why.

C’mon man! Do something about it!

A moment so familiar that other passengers hardly bother to look up from their phones or pause their conversations.

I’m gonna beat you up — only you. Just you.

But a fight Thursday on a speeding A train in Brooklyn that started with those taunts did not end there. It continued to escalate before a rush-hour crowd, from words to fists to a blade to, finally, a gun.

The encounter came just over a week after New York’s governor took the extraordinary step of ordering the National Guard below ground to make the trains feel safer. The shooting undermined the city’s message that riding the subway is, statistically speaking, quite safe.

The episode fueled a sense of futility about a system that seems to catch all the troubles from the city above — mental health crises, illegal guns — and squeezes them into crowded steel tubes.

For those on that A train Thursday, some with small children by their side, no city statistic is likely to bring comfort. Send the police, send in the Guard — many have come to believe that, regardless, the subway is going to be the subway.

Videos of fights or shootings are everywhere, and they come and they go. This one, with its familiar rhythms, stands out.

The shooting Thursday is not just a crazy thing that happened on an A train one day.

It seems more like a clear display of the state of the city above, a sense of metropolitan anxiety that has been felt, described and debated from Flatbush to Fordham and back again. A broken little piece of a place that made its way below ground, for everyone to see.

0:01

The video begins after whatever kicked off the encounter. Something set one passenger off, a man in dark clothing and a ball cap. He relentlessly hurls taunt after taunt at a silent man who is sitting. Sometimes, he leans over the man, shouting.

The train drives on without pause along an express track with extended gaps between stations. No one seems to care about a level of hostility that would never be allowed to escalate on other forms of transportation — on an airplane, for example, a setting just as cramped and prone to frustrated passengers. On a subway, threatening shouting might simply be called: Thursday.

The woman recording the video makes this very point in her own way, pausing to point the camera at her own blank face, unimpressed: Here we go again.

Finally, the seated man, seemingly done taking abuse, rises and crouches into a fighting stance. The shouting man seems delighted with the challenge, squaring up. It is only then that a dozen or more nearby passengers collectively decide that it is time to back away, pushing toward the opposite end of the car.

‘Little Stuff that Shouldn’t Matter’

Aroldo Gonzalez, 20, knows too well of that moment. The panic, louder than the questions — why? What’s going on? — and the need to get away.

In April 2022, Gonzalez was riding an N train in Brooklyn when a man rose from his seat and opened fire. That man, Frank James, shot and wounded Gonzalez and nine other people, and was convicted and given 10 life sentences.

Gonzalez rides the trains now with a heightened awareness, bristling at the start of any argument.

“I definitely do give them more thought now,” he said Saturday of the altercations. “I don’t know what someone is capable of. It doesn’t even have to be an argument. It just has to be someone being louder than someone should be.”

He remains mystified, as do many, about why a bump or a misunderstanding seemingly has to rise to shouting.

“Just, like, little stuff that shouldn’t matter,” he said. “Simple things that could be fixed with a ‘sorry’ or ‘excuse me.’”

1:24

On the A train Thursday, the two men — far past “excuse me” — circled one another around a pole before throwing a few sloppy punches and tumbling onto an empty bench. But then a young woman, perhaps a companion of the man who had been taunted, darted out of the crowd and seemed to cut the yelling man in the back with a blade.

“You stabbed me?” he asked her with genuine surprise. He reached around to his back, to feel beneath a growing red spot on his shirt.

A bystander wearing a safety vest stepped in. He calmly separated the men, who seemed to comply. The fight might have ended there.

Then the bleeding man rose and shrugged off his jacket and tossed it to another bench. It landed not softly, but with a heavy thud.

No one heard. Many passengers had been shouting during the brief fistfight — “There are babies on here!” — and no one paid any mind to what might have been in the jacket.

The bleeding man seemed to decide on his next move. “I’m locking you up!” he shouted. Then he reached down and pulled from the jacket’s pocket a gun.

Moments later, four shots echoed through the train and Hoyt-Schermerhorn station.

Data, Fear and Resignation

Officials fall back on numbers that suggest finding oneself the victim of a crime on a subway is statistically unlikely. The number of assaults on a given day is tiny compared with the number of riders and rides. This resonates for many: A recent survey by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority found that a little more than half of riders felt the subway was safe.

And yet, another video from Thursday has surfaced. It was taken in a nearby car on the same A train.

Dozens of riders — too many to count on the screen — have dropped to the floor. Some cry. Others peek around and then drop their heads again. Someone shouts for help. There is no immediate response.

It is an image that feels more of the moment than any number.

“I don’t want to be in New York,” the woman who took the video, Sherri Paul, told Fox News the next day. “I don’t see myself in New York if I have to ride the train, taking the bus. I don’t think it’s safe for me.”

The fear she described was familiar to Gonzalez, who recently acknowledged it’s been one year and 11 months since he was shot by James on the train, the bullet piercing his calf and lodging under his knee. He couldn’t face the subways for a time.

But now, that fear has calcified into resignation.

“They said they’d have more people patrolling,” he said, thinking back to 2022. “I think it’s been the same if not worse. I see people doing stuff, homeless people acting out. A bunch of stuff that was supposedly going to get fixed but hasn’t at all.”

4:11

The A train doors had finally opened at Hoyt-Schermerhorn station, which pushes passengers in and out of Brooklyn along busy lines. Police swarmed the station and closed it down to investigate what had happened.

The bleeding man was last seen on the video holding a gun and walking toward the other man. But seconds later, it was he who was shot, in the head, after the other man apparently grabbed his gun, police said. He was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

While these facts slowly emerged, crowded trains stalled in both directions, with passengers given no clue to what was causing the delay.

On a different A train nearby, the afternoon commute stopped at the High Street station, and stayed there. Five minutes became 10, and then 20. No explanations were forthcoming beyond “police activity.” Frustration mounted.

It always seems to start the same way.

“You’re sitting there, and I’m old enough to be your mother!” a woman could be heard shouting. Whomever she was shouting at said something, and the woman yelled even louder.

Some laughed. Most just sat there. The shouting continued, until whoever it was getting yelled at rose and left the car.

Just another Thursday.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i dont see how filling the platforms with national guard prevents a shooting on the train while it's underway but that's why i'm not paid the contributor bucks i guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Their desire is cops and guardsmen on every train car to maximize the amount of overtime paid to the NYPD

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hong Kong Adopts Sweeping Security Laws, Bowing to Beijing

Check out these scare quotes.

It also targets offenses like “external interference” and the theft of state secrets, creating potential risks for multinational companies and international groups operating in the Asian financial center.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When Hong Kong targets "outside influence", it's scary and wrong.

When we target "outside influence", it's just common sense.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the west is apparently trying to undo the return of hong kong to china

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the British Empire has been reinstated.

"they have to give it all back now" says Downing Street spokesman.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

my bony fealty posted:

lmfao

I read it and nodded along back then, I won't lie. In retrospect it's neat how useless it is. Guess some people are just predisposed to be aUtHoRiTaRiAn, must be their skull shape.

Going through this book. Why is it useless? It makes good cases that seem to map well to my real world observations, if anything so far it's often times more humanizing than what I thought they were doing which is being deliberately full of poo poo even in the company of close friends. I've observed a basic inability to follow syllogisms in some people even not in political contexts and the personalities check out too.

Is it the lack of answers or actions? I'm really curious.

Sorry for the necroposting here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The whole concept is very stupid (both that people are predisposed to such beliefs, and the very idea that "authoritarianism" is a coherent concept to begin with), and the book seems to imply that nations like the US (at least under liberals) aren't "authoritarian." Apparently Altemeyer went on to co-author a book about "the danger of Trump's followers" lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

Going through this book. Why is it useless? It makes good cases that seem to map well to my real world observations, if anything so far it's often times more humanizing than what I thought they were doing which is being deliberately full of poo poo even in the company of close friends. I've observed a basic inability to follow syllogisms in some people even not in political contexts and the personalities check out too.

Is it the lack of answers or actions? I'm really curious.

Sorry for the necroposting here.

the whole book is based on a logical fallacy that individual behavioral traits like predisposition to conformity drive abstract ideological preferences when it's demonstrably observable that you can wrap whatever ideological justification you want around being a shithead

like if this guy was actually right, the democrats wouldnt be run by vote scolding geriatric rapists

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Authoritarianism as a behavior in people is absolutely real. It's what makes people ask the teacher for homework or call for mods when discussions aren't entirely to their taste.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Authoritarianism as a behavior in people is absolutely real. It's what makes people ask the teacher for homework or call for mods when discussions aren't entirely to their taste.

HOAs are living proof that lots of people love petty tyrants as long as the tyrants are being petty in the way they want

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A Buttery Pastry posted:

reported

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

the secret puppeteer of the houthis: commander cobra!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Danann posted:

that's the stuff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

Captain Planet is canonically Muslim smdh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Captain Planet is canonically Muslim smdh

he's a djinn. never seen a more obvious djinn

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Danann posted:

lol
https://twitter.com/elisabethbraw/status/1770593794217447830

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Al! posted:

he's a djinn. never seen a more obvious djinn

Djinn can be Muslim, it's agreed since ancient times

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I am really grossed out by this person "braw" and her tweets

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

so is cspam illegal in Norway then?
Time to Criminalize Putin’s Lie Machine

cepa.org - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 posted:

Russian malign influence campaigns and those of other hostile states have tested Western patience for years. Now, some countries may criminalize it.

Norway is proposing pioneering action with a law that would ban cooperation with foreign countries’ intelligence agencies for the purpose of influencing public opinion at home. It’s a gutsy move by the Norwegians: proving contacts with hostile intelligence agencies is likely to be a tall order, but it’s far better than no action.

“We know that foreign countries are constantly using new methods to damage fundamental interests in Norway that have been difficult to protect society from,” the Minister of Justice and Emergency Preparedness, Emilie Enger Mehl, said on January 12.

She’s right. Especially since Russia and China became more assertive and contemptuous of other countries’ sovereignty about a decade ago. Since then, they’ve adroitly exploited Western societies’ openness for their own malign purposes.

Russia, especially, has cleverly fed falsehoods into the public debate, and both countries make regular use of agents of influence. “We know that authoritarian states can try to influence us to serve their own interests. Such states can, for example, spread fake news to weaken people’s trust in the press, public authorities, or other important social institutions,” Mehl said.

How many agents of influence, established individuals who shape the public debate on behalf of Russia, China, or other hostile countries, are there? We don’t know. But we do know that agents of influence act with impunity, because spreading another country’s talking points is not illegal.

Spreading disinformation manufactured by troll farms in Russia or elsewhere is not illegal either. Until now, liberal democracies haven’t found a way to tackle malign influence while protecting their citizens’ right to free speech.

In 2018, Australia introduced a legislative amendment that made it illegal to engage in “covert and deceptive or threatening activities by persons intending to interfere with Australia’s democratic systems and processes” and to support “the intelligence activities of a foreign government”. But Australia and other countries have struggled to keep the full range of hostile influence activities at bay.

Norway’s legislation won’t do that either. But it’s a brave legislative step, and the law — when passed by parliament — will at least tackle parts of the malign-influence scourge. The government’s bill proposes making it illegal to “contribute on behalf of, or by agreement with, a foreign intelligence actor in activities that have the purpose of influencing decisions or the formation of public opinion, and which may harm significant societal interests.”

The idea was first proposed by the previous government, but that effort received significant pushback in the consultation stage because, its critics alleged, it threatened to imperil free-speech rights. Since this more narrowly focused bill criminalizes only the spreading of malign influence in consultation with foreign intelligence agencies, most hostile influencers will get away with their activities.

But criminalizing influence efforts, even partially, is nonetheless an important step. Starting on the legislative path is a key first measure; legislation can be amended or redrawn at a later date in the light of experience.

It is also important to increase society’s resilience to these efforts. If the public is trained in how to verify information, the dissemination of disinformation would become much harder.

Finland excels at teaching information literacy in its primary and secondary schools and indeed considers the skill a “civic competence”. Western countries need similar training for adults too.

And they should educate people of all ages, perhaps through interviews with expert officials, about the other ways in which hostile states spread malign influence. The first step is taking action, even if it won’t bring instant results. Credit to Norway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That sort of thing isn't binary though and depends entirely on a person's specific circumstances/environment. It's not like some people just naturally have a disposition to be "authoritarian."

Also, that book definitely uses a stupid definition of "authoritarian" that is basically "Donald Trump and the Bad Countries like China and North Korea."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ytlaya posted:

That sort of thing isn't binary though and depends entirely on a person's specific circumstances/environment. It's not like some people just naturally have a disposition to be "authoritarian."
Does the dude actually claim its down to a natural disposition? From what I can tell, it's supposed to describe how people behave, not like an inborn trait, even if you probably can't expect to "deprogram" someone if they've spent decades being taught to be like that. Not that it's actually important to the argument how people become like this, just that they do.

As for the part about it not being a binary, I'm not sure that's true? Being an authoritarian does not have to mean listening to everyone who proclaims themselves an authority, just that you outsource your thinking to people who you do deem an authority.

Ytlaya posted:

Also, that book definitely uses a stupid definition of "authoritarian" that is basically "Donald Trump and the Bad Countries like China and North Korea."
Death of the author applies to non-fiction too.

For being a source of American propaganda, yes.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Do they do private prosecutions in Norway? I wonder if you could nab some Norwegian guys working at VoA.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Death of the author applies to non-fiction too.

this is a particularly facile statement to make, and with so much confidence too

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

altemeyer could never have written this before the existence of SA mods

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty sure that's just being a little bitch tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

Cassian of Imola posted:

altemeyer could never have written this before the existence of SA mods

oh poo poo, didn’t know he died. i took one of his classes.