Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, my research narrowed it down to basically this one, or the “official” one offered by Nabu Casa. I’ll figure it out from there - thanks!

The SkyConnect will have Matter/Thread support added in the future. Thinking of replacing my Conbee with it too someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adnam posted:

I've got a bunch of outdoor Google Nests (don't hate me, it was the easiest solution at the time) in rather difficult to access areas. Is there any reasonable way aside from getting up there and physically resetting the Nests in order to migrate them to a new wifi? loving google :emo:

Something I've noticed in my house is that if something's going on with the wifi/internet, the Google Homes (I'm a curmudgeon I guess and still call them Homes, not Nests) will all start broadcasting a wifi network that, I assume, the Google Home app will use to connect to them for configuration. So I think an option would be to just turn off the old wifi (at least temporarily) to force them all into setup mode.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

adnam posted:

I've got a bunch of outdoor Google Nests (don't hate me, it was the easiest solution at the time) in rather difficult to access areas. Is there any reasonable way aside from getting up there and physically resetting the Nests in order to migrate them to a new wifi? loving google :emo:

FISHMANPET posted:

Something I've noticed in my house is that if something's going on with the wifi/internet, the Google Homes (I'm a curmudgeon I guess and still call them Homes, not Nests) will all start broadcasting a wifi network that, I assume, the Google Home app will use to connect to them for configuration. So I think an option would be to just turn off the old wifi (at least temporarily) to force them all into setup mode.

Yeah, this is the way to do it with the speakers so I would assume it's probably the same for the cams?

My parents Ring camera has a feature where you can get that "setup wifi network" to start broadcasting from the camera by waving at it whenever it's offline. Worked pretty good for getting them set back up after they had their wifi name changed.

Sioux posted:

The SkyConnect will have Matter/Thread support added in the future. Thinking of replacing my Conbee with it too someday.

Unfortunately, it looks like they may have walked that back:

https://www.home-assistant.io/skyconnect/

VelociBacon posted:

Every time I see the 30 connected wifi devices to my router I'm like ha yeah I'm never changing my SSID or pw.

This was my first thought as well when I went to my parents to set up their new router; however the router they were using was one of the ones that had separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I replaced there router with some Google pucks I had (the older AC1200 ones, totally fine for what they use wifi for) which does not do that.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 28, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The best part of like every IoT device is the setup button on it you have to physically push on every single one of them if you change WiFi networks or WiFi passwords. Seems pretty counter-intuitive to security never being able to change your password.

Every time I see the 30 connected wifi devices to my router I'm like ha yeah I'm never changing my SSID or pw.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
When I changed my router setup to a whole Omada thing, my plan was originally going to be to run a separate IoT wifi network to keep all my Home Automation and related poo poo on and migrate stuff over.

I have like 100+ wifi HA related devices that I needed to move over. After having to manually change about 10 devices to be on the new network, I gave up, and just made an additional wifi network that was the same SSID and password as before, and then just changed the devices that I didn't want to be on that old network (because everything used to be on it) to be on a third wifi network because there were way less of those.

So now I have two wifi networks dedicated to Home Automation stuff, with most of the old stuff being on the network with the old SSID, and anything new going on the new IoT wifi network.

Moral of the story: plan ahead before you get way too loving deep in.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

When I changed my router setup to a whole Omada thing, my plan was originally going to be to run a separate IoT wifi network to keep all my Home Automation and related poo poo on and migrate stuff over.

I have like 100+ wifi HA related devices that I needed to move over. After having to manually change about 10 devices to be on the new network, I gave up, and just made an additional wifi network that was the same SSID and password as before, and then just changed the devices that I didn't want to be on that old network (because everything used to be on it) to be on a third wifi network because there were way less of those.

So now I have two wifi networks dedicated to Home Automation stuff, with most of the old stuff being on the network with the old SSID, and anything new going on the new IoT wifi network.

Moral of the story: plan ahead before you get way too loving deep in.

Check this out:

https://www.cusna.io/post/tp-link-omada-ppsk---how-to-handle-thousands-of-personal-psjks

E: Ignore the "Cusna" stuff, stictly the PSIK I'm talking about. Basically, you can give different passwords to the same SSID, and depending on which password the device uses you can associate it to a different VLAN.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

FISHMANPET posted:

Thank you, looks like I'm getting a taller ladder to figure this out this weekend.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So apparently getting a Toshiba heat pump to play nice with Home Assistant? not a problem.

TIL.

Now I need to get some sort of automation for night/away/home temperature regulation running, because the Toshiba app has no feature like that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

VelociBacon posted:

this is literally why i have the same SSID and password as my old roommate

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is the world of ESPHome just an unending nightmare or do I just have bad luck? The basic config with nothing going on either refuses to connect or for some of these whatsits gets stuck in a boot loop for what appears to be power issues connecting to wifi.

It is all just a matter of getting a vendor or clone that isn't awful? Or is the project itself a bit flakey? I've been poking at this all day and the one time I did get one of these things to connect and take updates it just started boot looping with no changes. It's damned infuriating.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The only ESP stuff I have are a pair of garage door opener connectors and they seem to work fine. But they're basically a single contact sensor and a relay so they're pretty simple.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah I haven't done anything more intensive than "ESP module pulls data from a couple pins and sends it to hass on wifi" but it's been drat rock solid for doing that

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Aside from Simplisafe, is there any other home security that has live support integration? My significant other enjoyed the Brinks connection with our Nest Secure but that's going away pretty soon so I'd like to get a replacement if possible. Don't want to sign up directly with Brinks/ADT because of past experiences but was wondering if there was any mainstream option available.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

adnam posted:

Aside from Simplisafe, is there any other home security that has live support integration? My significant other enjoyed the Brinks connection with our Nest Secure but that's going away pretty soon so I'd like to get a replacement if possible. Don't want to sign up directly with Brinks/ADT because of past experiences but was wondering if there was any mainstream option available.

I believe Abode does

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah I haven't done anything more intensive than "ESP module pulls data from a couple pins and sends it to hass on wifi" but it's been drat rock solid for doing that

That's what I'm trying to do but I apparently got a bad batch from whatever no name amazon seller I sourced. I started to order an Adafruit board, but it's not the right voltage for what I want. Naturally the actual factual board maker's Aliexpress page doesn't have the board for sell.

This drat Microcenter can't open soon enough.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

So now I have two wifi networks

I did that too when I had to factory reset my ISP leased modem. It has a 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi network automatically with the same SSID. So then I created an additional wifi network from this modem with a network with suffix _IoT in the SSID. But I wonder if there is really a point for me, because I don't think there are any firewall rules separating the networks or restricting the IoT network from the internet. So if there is no use I might just revert back to my normal network for the wifi IoT stuff too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Well, would you look at that.

The stars have aligned, and our experimental drag-and-drop feature for dashboards is finally here!

I haven't tried it out yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

In other news, my ThinkSmart Views arrived, and they make great HA interfaces for places like the kitchen and my office.
For $40, they're pretty nifty. Bonus points if you actually use it for Teams/Zoom

Network chat:
I have 4, soon to be 5 VLANs
1 5/2.4 for us
1 2.4, offline for IoT only
1 2.4 with no spaces in name/password for anything that gets weird about SSID/WPA2
1 10GB network for my server/NAS back end.
TBD: Guest open SSID

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ThinkSmart View for $40? that's ... interesting, actually :allears:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Well, would you look at that.

The stars have aligned, and our experimental drag-and-drop feature for dashboards is finally here!

I haven't tried it out yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

In other news, my ThinkSmart Views arrived, and they make great HA interfaces for places like the kitchen and my office.
For $40, they're pretty nifty. Bonus points if you actually use it for Teams/Zoom

Network chat:
I have 4, soon to be 5 VLANs
1 5/2.4 for us
1 2.4, offline for IoT only
1 2.4 with no spaces in name/password for anything that gets weird about SSID/WPA2
1 10GB network for my server/NAS back end.
TBD: Guest open SSID

I too use a ThinkSmart View for our kitchen dashboard:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Can you use those for local (not-web-connected) voice control?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
That's on my to do list to figure out. I think you should be able to but haven't dedicated time to try it.

I eventually want to use voice commands on it to play media. The speakers are better than expected, since it was designed for video calls.

I also want to figure out 2-way video with other devices in the house (another TSV and PCs). I also want to figure out how to get Google to play stuff on it, instead of only on the Google Assistants. Not sure if that is feasible though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's getting there with the PMos work.
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/lenovo-thinksmart-view-rom-os-development/676324

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wow, that’s an incredible amount of progress within a short period of time.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
donglechat, I been using both aeotec zigbee and zwave dongles fine, the zigbee one needed to manually set it as ezsp in the zigbee2mqtt but so far good!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wow, that’s an incredible amount of progress within a short period of time.

There's some decent work getting it to run AOSP 11 too.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Grabbed one of these, I mean for that price it even if it's not super useful it's at least a relatively harmless project. Especially compared to back when I was considering getting one of those Mycroft.ai Voice Assistant boxes before they went belly-up.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Scruff McGruff posted:

Grabbed one of these, I mean for that price it even if it's not super useful it's at least a relatively harmless project. Especially compared to back when I was considering getting one of those Mycroft.ai Voice Assistant boxes before they went belly-up.

Where are people buying these? The only places I can find in Aus are selling them for ~$300aud

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

eBay :fsmug:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125466199637

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Since nest secure is sunsetting just around the corner I'd like to see if there's an alternatives to the systems I've been looking at. The significant other likes the idea of professional monitoring and would also prefer to keep HomeKit compatibility since they're in the Apple ecosystem. We've got a series of google nest cameras and don't want to replace them at this time so just looking for motion detectors/someone to call us/send services if there's an issue. Looks like all there is for those two specific requirements is Abode/Ecobee/Simplisafe/Ring. I'm leaning towards Abode DIY instead of Ring/Simplisafe given reviews online and pricing, is there anything else I should be considering?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I fell behind on thread but read the past 2-3 pages to see if it had come up…

Picked up a bunch of the latest model Eve Energy + new In-Wall Outlet that are all Thread / Matter compatible. Big improvement over the ConnectSense In-Wall outlets I used to have… went no response fairly frequently and I ended up never really taking advantage of them since I could never connect to them.

Eve outlets are pigtailed, come with a nice Claro-clone screw less wall plate, and you can disassemble them really easily also (I got curious… I have a use case for monitor-only outlets that I do not want the chance of turning off).

The Eve app gives me some insights into the Thread network — not convinced I’m fully setup there, since I think the Apple TVs show up as “ghost” routers, but nothing is disconnecting. All of my ATVs live on my main LAN, so as of right now, I’m trusting the ATV to be a good gateway.

Ridiculously fast to set up… maybe under 5 minutes per outlet? Scan QR and it’s done, no need to put my iPhone on the IoT WiFi and all that. As a bonus, it’s been an excuse to clean up all my outlets and kill backstabs, plus they are now neatly pigtailed and WAGO’d!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If I have a ceiling fan that has the fan (not light) on/off wired to the wall, does that mean a dimmer would work to control the fan speed? Or would that depend on the fan?

I’m about to replace like 4 of our fans because they suck. Any brand recommendations?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

thats how we control the fans on our porch, just leave them on full blast with the little dangly string and have a smart switch dimmer to control the voltage going to it for fan speeds

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If I have a ceiling fan that has the fan (not light) on/off wired to the wall, does that mean a dimmer would work to control the fan speed?

No, but a fan controller would (it's a different wattage type of "dimmer", a light dimmer is not appropritely speced for this use case and is likely to get very warm and fail quickly).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sorry, I specifically meant a Lutron Caseta fan speed dimmer. My bad.

Like, would that work for any fan that has the fan on/off wired to the wall? I have a few fans that currently have just a plain on/off switch.

From reading around, it soonds like if a fan is only speed adjustable by a pull chain, it should work if the on/off wires are already run down the wall. Does that sound correct? Basically anything with its own remote wouldn’t work.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Also I think DC fans can’t be controlled by most in-wall fan speed controllers, but DC fans tend to be pricier and come with remotes anyway, so it’s mostly a non-issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sorry, I specifically meant a Lutron Caseta fan speed dimmer. My bad.

Like, would that work for any fan that has the fan on/off wired to the wall? I have a few fans that currently have just a plain on/off switch.

From reading around, it soonds like if a fan is only speed adjustable by a pull chain, it should work if the on/off wires are already run down the wall. Does that sound correct? Basically anything with its own remote wouldn’t work.

Yeah, if it's that type of 3-speed chain controller it's almost definitely an AC fan motor. Leave the chain pull on high and you should be able to control it just fine with a fan controller.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, if it's that type of 3-speed chain controller it's almost definitely an AC fan motor. Leave the chain pull on high and you should be able to control it just fine with a fan controller.

I have five fans in my house that are three-speed pull chains that I want to make smart. Two already have smart light bulbs in them (although one fan's set likely needs to be replaced since they're old Ikea bulbs that are starting to misbehave). Otherwise, all the fan's lights work from a standard wall switch. I looked on Google and only found trash. What's a good controller to get?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IUG posted:

I have five fans in my house that are three-speed pull chains that I want to make smart. Two already have smart light bulbs in them (although one fan's set likely needs to be replaced since they're old Ikea bulbs that are starting to misbehave). Otherwise, all the fan's lights work from a standard wall switch. I looked on Google and only found trash. What's a good controller to get?

Okay, the lights work from a wall switch, what about the fans? Can you turn them on and off from another wall switch or do you have to control it with the chain? If you have to control it with the chain, does the fan run if the light switch on the wall is off?

What I'm getting at here is how the fans are wired/what wires are in your walls between the switch box and fan box. The best case scenario is that you have a load wire from your switch location to the lights and a seperate one to the fan. That gives you the most options and will allow you to use a fan/light controller or just a smart fan controller and then a regular smart light switch.

Also, what ecosystem/protocol you want the to be controllable by is important to know.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you have separate wall switches for the fan and the light just swap the fan switch with a Caseta fan speed controller switch model number PD-FSQN. Done.

The controller is pretty slick and even supplies an initial higher speed kick to the fan for two seconds or so to get it started in the low speed setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I’ve got a few already. Looking to replace a couple that are noisy that are already on a PD-FSQN, and a couple that that have speed control as a simple on/off switch currently.

I guess my question is, are the requirements to being compatible with the PD-FSQN….

1. chain pull speed adjustment
2. no remote

There’s no 3, right?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 21, 2024