Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If they're that good at casting then they should make every tribe 5 losers and one frustrated overachiever, because it's very entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, tribes that win get rewards that promote winning. Tribes that lose get penalties that reinforce losing.

Especially in the early game, they need to make winning less overwhelming. You shouldn't get immunity AND a big reward AND the loser doesn't even get to have a fire.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Not having fire sucks but they aren’t getting blown out in the challenges. They’ve lost a string of one-run games, so to speak

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Guardian spoke with Parvati about her, ahem, life coaching business. It does have some interesting stuff about her childhood though.

Seriously though, is life coach all there is for Survivor alums? Kellyn from Ghost Island is doing it, Alexis from Micronesia did it, and in her FTC in Panama Danielle said she wanted to give speeches to kids.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Invalid Validation posted:

Well yea it’s happened for the past like 5 seasons because one tribe somehow has all the losers on it and can’t win a challenge.

It's boring to watch, I know there are two other tribes but outside the really obnoxious spam email lady, the swiftie, the Metallica guy, and everyone hating the girl that's pretty we don't know poo poo about them. It's kind of baffling we're focused heavily on the losers but it takes about 4 weeks before you start actually seeing the ones that are really the focus for the season.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It probably means Kenzie or Tiffany is going to be a principal character; the same thing happened with Yam Yam/Carolyn/Carson

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

AndrewP posted:

Not having fire sucks but they aren’t getting blown out in the challenges. They’ve lost a string of one-run games, so to speak

I mean, that kind of proves my point. If in many of these challenges they were *that close,* maybe just having fire would have been enough to push them over that little hump.

Living off of random fruit while the other tribes are busily cooking the fish they caught with their rewards and upgrading their shelters with their rewards is absolutely going to have an impact on their performance.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

The Guardian spoke with Parvati about her, ahem, life coaching business. It does have some interesting stuff about her childhood though.

Seriously though, is life coach all there is for Survivor alums? Kellyn from Ghost Island is doing it, Alexis from Micronesia did it, and in her FTC in Panama Danielle said she wanted to give speeches to kids.
True. Although there is probably a good quantity of clientele for it. I can imagine multiple people having restless thoughts at 2am only to finally get back to sleep after deciding "that's it. Tomorrow I'm going to get Parvati from survivor in on this."

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah there’s not a lot of careers that come out of pooping in the woods for 39 days apart from life coach, Cameo hustler, actor, or motivational speaker

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

mp5 posted:

Yeah there’s not a lot of careers that come out of pooping in the woods for 39 days apart from life coach, Cameo hustler, actor, or motivational speaker

Podcast host

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Christ this is embarrassing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why does CBS think that this is what we want

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

This fuckin sucks

Like of course the results are what they are and they can’t change that so they gotta storytell around it but

This cast has been really poorly portrayed and the season is really unfun

Like we gotta watch a dead man walking who can’t even play his bullshit shot in the dark because he got screwed by a mandatory journey. He’s ofc not a very good survivor player anyway but nobody should get screwed like that

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jeff sounds so rehearsed

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

That was really awful.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Literally all five stages of grief within like twenty seconds lmao

Top five worst casting mistake of all time

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I get that he had a positive message, but he's praying to his vengeful God, only to tell him to piss off thirty seconds later. Dude didn't need survivor, needed therapy. He wanted to dedicate it to all the Bhanus out there, man if that's his best, that was the worst role model ever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I wonder if he has better self-control with food in his belly.

I mean, probably not, but I wonder!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

I wonder if he has better self-control with food in his belly.

I mean, probably not, but I wonder!

Did they not eat from the challenge they won?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Diabetic posted:

Did they not eat from the challenge they won?

They traded it for a tarp and tool kit

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Poque posted:

Literally all five stages of grief within like twenty seconds lmao

Top five worst casting mistake of all time

I dunno, he was interesting to watch, and he elicited strong reactions out of people, so that seems like pretty good casting to me!

Congrats to him inevitably getting more money from Sia than whoever gets third place

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

God drat 90 minute episodes and these lazy fuckers can't even be bothered to do an actual vote.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bhanus vote loss should not have carried over.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

blue squares posted:

the game plays itself, sometimes bad results just spiral

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This will definitely be the worst season of the new era unless something changes quickly. Casting has actually been pretty on point recently but the vibes are absolutely horrible this time around.

Obviously Kenzie, Tiff and Q being gross and condescending toward Jess and Bhanu (who, to be sure, were very bad players) accounts for most of the rot, but there's been other lovely stuff as well, like Yanu getting shade from the other tribes for losing and the woman on the green tribe taking a little too much pleasure out of her fake advantage wild goose chase.

I'm struggling to find people to root for. Posi-vibes Metallica/David Lee Roth guy seems decent at least? Possible redemption arcs for Venus and weird internet millionaire lady? I don't know. It's bad, folks.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 21, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

someone pointed out that charles looks and behaves like hughie from The Boys and i cant not see it now and he has gotta go

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
I hate this episode I hate this show I hate Jeff watch Australian Survivor for an actually good show peace

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor, drop the 4 and add in the sob stories.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Team Green seems absolutely bored out of their minds.

Tevin yelling out “Jordan!” as Hunter granny shot it is an extremely funny basketball joke.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
That was tough to watch. Even without Bhanu eating up half the screen time going forward I'm not too optimistic that this season is going to get much better. Boring and mostly unlikeable cast.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm excited for the actual game to start now, this cast seems great and now 75% of the rest of the season won't be taken up by Lil 2

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It's time for Jeff to retire and for Mike White to take over production, and someone like Devins take over for hosting. Based on every interview he's given since 2020, it's 100% clear that the problem with Survivor now is Jeff. He believes he knows what makes great television, and listens to nobody (except for Mike White)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t really blame the producers for this. It’s just the result of having one tribe be a miserable, quasi bullying, losing mess while the other tribes are left to go camping and play the game hypothetically. Like I’m sure they knew Bhanu would be an emotional guy but they probably didn’t know he’d spend the entire time being wore down as his tribe mates loudly discuss how stupid he is. Or that he’d be preceded by Jess going through a condensed version of the same thing.

I wonder if the tribe will be more likable now that they don’t have someone to be a jerk to.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

It feels like this may have been less miserable and more entertaining if it was just two tribes. Because these last few seasons always have a losing tribe that just gets beat down to death.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

obliriovrons posted:

I dunno, he was interesting to watch, and he elicited strong reactions out of people, so that seems like pretty good casting to me!
The vast majority of people hated suffering through that. I'm so tired of negative reactions being spun as good because it leads to some kind of engagement. people not liking something is bad, it's not good! stop it!!

blue squares posted:

i could see Bhanu as a sympathetic character if he wasn't so overexposed, he seems like a nice guy at his core, just uhh rather overemotional. i guess via the overexposure we're able to see more of what it's like actually living with him out there lol.

Anyway this season is godawful so far, the worst start ever to a season by a lot. And we've spent all this time with a tribe that's now dead and decimated and the other tribes havent even done anything! Jess was unable to function, let alone play survivor. Bhanu was completely unable to play survivor. jelinsky was delusional but probably shouldve outlasted both these two. Oh and throw in a medevac (of a guy with an idol!!) for good measure. Enough with the tiny tribes that leads to this kind of thing repeatedly

Poque posted:

I'm excited for the actual game to start now, this cast seems great and now 75% of the rest of the season won't be taken up by Lil 2
yep I very hope we can finally start the game now, chalk this all down as preamble and get the real story started.. Actually glad we got Bhanu out of here so we don't have to watch some brain genius try to drag him to the end

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t really blame the producers for this. It’s just the result of having one tribe be a miserable, quasi bullying, losing mess while the other tribes are left to go camping and play the game hypothetically. Like I’m sure they knew Bhanu would be an emotional guy but they probably didn’t know he’d spend the entire time being wore down as his tribe mates loudly discuss how stupid he is. Or that he’d be preceded by Jess going through a condensed version of the same thing.

I wonder if the tribe will be more likable now that they don’t have someone to be a jerk to.

I think they're partially to blame for sticking Jess and Bhanu on the same tribe, though. Like okay, maybe you can't predict Jelinsky. But having one third of the tribe be trainwrecks is just setting the tribe up for disaster.

A tribe could deal with 1/6th of their tribe being an Abi-Maria. 1/3... less so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think they're partially to blame for sticking Jess and Bhanu on the same tribe, though. Like okay, maybe you can't predict Jelinsky. But having one third of the tribe be trainwrecks is just setting the tribe up for disaster.

A tribe could deal with 1/6th of their tribe being an Abi-Maria. 1/3... less so.

I dunno. I mean sure you can reasonable see Bhanu is an emotional guy and probably even that he’s not much of a strategist or liar. But Jess was mostly just sleep deprived. She wasn’t clueless to the game or having emotional breakdowns. She just could never get her footing and her tribe were jerks about it.

And to some extent I think losing tribes just produce bad players. It’s a stressful game under the best of circumstances. If you’re not sleeping or eating. If you’re cold and have no fire. If you keep losing and have to keep going to tribal and get no relief. It’s gonna wear you down and make everything worse. Whether that’s driving an emotional guy like Bhanu into a breakdown or making someone like Jess never able to get a good nights sleep and reset or making Kenzie and Tiffany’s frustrations with everything process as them being condescending assholes to the weakest members of their tribe.

So I guess if I blame anyone/anything maybe it’s the whole thing where they take away their flint. That’s just more misery and stress on top of a situation that has enough.

Also I like Bhanu. I think he was a perfectly fine casting. It was just a miserable time watching him get broken down week after week with zero hope. Not good tv.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'm not as down on this season as some people; I got some mileage out of Bhanu denouncing god and warring with the heavens. I thought last episode was way worse, where we spent all episode with him and then they didn't even go to tribal. I wish he'd gone last episode and then tonight we could have had Kenzie trying to crab-barrel Q for another day in the game.

Mostly though I'm completely done with the 3-tribe format. I truly don't understand why they haven't bothered to switch that up for 6 straight seasons now. It's not like they've never split 18 in half before. 'Nowhere to hide' is not actually good for the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think what made this episode so bad in particular to people was that it was a rehash of Bhanu’s executioner walk from last week after some unconvincing tease of hope. The whole thing got dragged out making it much worse.

Compare to Jess who got out of there and was able to immediately do charming interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Leatherhead posted:

Mostly though I'm completely done with the 3-tribe format. I truly don't understand why they haven't bothered to switch that up for 6 straight seasons now. It's not like they've never split 18 in half before. 'Nowhere to hide' is not actually good for the game.

I have to think it's because a 9 player tribe going through a potential Pagonging for 5 straight episodes is worse than a 6 player tribe going through it for potentially 3 episodes? By the time a tribe of 6 gets to 3, we've either had that in three episodes, or its hopefully bounced back and forth to the other tribes as well by then.

It also hopefully puts more in play when a tribe swap happens when three teams mix than two.

We've just been experiencing the worst result of the three tribe format the last few years. I think if anything is broken, it's the flint/shelter issue just compounding the pain. Which is also being impacted by the combining of reward/immunity. A tribe goes the first few days without shelter and warmth, and their next shot to save themselves is also an all or nothing result when just increases the negative when they lose.