Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Trenchcoat Robot is so funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, robots get cold at night and everyone thinks having a tube up your nose is completely normal

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Eej posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfowSe522yI

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, robots get cold at night and everyone thinks having a tube up your nose is completely normal

Nose tubes are a vital part of smell tech

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

The Demilich posted:

Looks like they just imported the Start Collecting Slaves to Darkness AoS knights into 40k for the standing lord. I'm here for it though, those had some fantastic designs.

Tempted to just say gently caress it and use him in AoS

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

smug jeebus posted:

Tempted to just say gently caress it and use him in AoS

Yeah and this AoS guy can be a Lord Discordant!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That's not a guy, that's Archaon's gf

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
2001? 2018. I think. Two editions, anyway.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Given that he's short and kinda brown, I assumed the leader would be a Yaegir Maester?

Eej posted:

Tactical helmet smoke is inspired

Why are Primaris heads that flammable?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Those are amazing Shadowrun dwarf miniatures

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Disappointed at the lack of a new warp talon kit, those models are pretty old and tiny.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's a shame they shoving the old GSC court into the KT box. Don't know any GSC player that needs more of those. The new platoons look great, but I could spend just as much money on a Guard Combat patrol or a little extra on the recent battlfeforce and swap some heads around.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Waiting for games-workshop to make new Catachan models, then turn them into a kill team, then turn them into another genestealer kill team.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Super Waffle posted:

Disappointed at the lack of a new warp talon kit, those models are pretty old and tiny.

Did I hear they were the last models before the refresh that sized up the rest of the range?

Aesthetically I'd like to convert mine from Sanquinary Guard, who are also currently old and tiny, although a strong candidate for an update with new Dante out.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Anvil sized their stuff off the original Cadians/Catachans. The new guard did not get any larger (except the Kasrkin who are bigger), GW just tweaked their proportions to be more realistic.

Anvil's older sculpts will have the more cartoony 'old Cadian' proportions but they were never as cartoony to begin with and the newer sculpts look even better even if they're not as realistically sized.

The Anvil bits will mesh seamlessly with GW bodies but yeah their prices are actually higher. Their casting is flawless. Having said that if you're looking for an army of their figures the best way to do it is probably to buy a printer and print em yourself.

Edit - Where is your AV from?

Lostconfused posted:

Seem the same scale as the new GW models to me

Thanks y’all! I think I was just seeing the slight difference in head scale you mention regarding the old Cadian/Catachans but when stacked up directly next to a GW model it’s not noticeable at all. Once I get everything I’ve got built, I am 100% gonna get a swarm from one of the alternative models and start a foundation for an Imperialis Militia

Regarding the av, I honestly have no idea. I’m pretty sure it’s a Japanese candy bar from the mid to late 90s

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

And the new Kill Team box is Votann versus Genestealer Cultists. With new brood brothers kit based on the new Cadian kit.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/21/adepticon-2024-kill-team-termination-sees-brood-brothers-battle-hernkyn/

Holy moly both of these look so much cooler than their counterparts elsewhere I can’t wait to pick this up. I’ve got four Kill Teams I’m slowly building and painting already, feels like it might be a good way to get back into actually playing the game

On the subject, are there definitive builds to make the Imperial Agents and Starstriders effective? Is there a specific set of minis I should choose to build in terms of equipment and alternative options for those or is it not a big deal if I go with the alternative options I think are aesthetically pleasing?

Also with everyone’s help in here I finished painting my first proper squad since like 2009 or so. They’re too lovely to post I think but I’m pretty happy with them as a first effort

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Cooked Auto posted:

And the new Kill Team box is Votann versus Genestealer Cultists. With new brood brothers kit based on the new Cadian kit.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/21/adepticon-2024-kill-team-termination-sees-brood-brothers-battle-hernkyn/

I love the squats but the genestealer cultists just don't look very cool to me :(

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Been working on a Chaos army.
Here are some of my most recent units.
Legionaries and Lord

Traitor Guard and Enforcers (yes, he is wearing a tactical speedo)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think the Starstriders don't have any choices in gear or operatives, you just build and field the whole box. Any options are just aesthetic so you're good to go there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What sucks is that, going by recent GW decisions, buying the KT units separately for your 40k armies is going to just be more expensive than just buying the box set.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

I think the Starstriders don't have any choices in gear or operatives, you just build and field the whole box. Any options are just aesthetic so you're good to go there.

Oh dope, that's a nice break from the Agents who seem to have some critical choices in that regard

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What sucks is that, going by recent GW decisions, buying the KT units separately for your 40k armies is going to just be more expensive than just buying the box set.

yeah, my partner bought me the first KT box for my birthday earlier this month. Two killteams, the rules, measuring/template implements, and terrain for $84, where just two Kill Teams would be at least that much. Since more terrain is always good it makes the new one quite appealing

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It really varies, annoyingly. Some of the KT boxes make a single unit for 40k and a proper fully playable Kill Team in that game. Some of them do the former but not quite the latter unless you're willing to magnetise/forego a heavy weapon option or whatever, some of them literally have like 5 binary choices so you pretty much have to buy another box or do some extensive work and then some of them require you to buy entire other boxes to make a viable roster.

I'm curious how the Patriarch is gonna function in KT, I think he's the most powerful thing they've allowed in this edition of KT in terms of 40k points value/in lore power. I think usually killing a patriarch just on its own would be an objective for an opposition KT that they'd expect to die trying to do.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ToyotaThong posted:

Legionaries and Lord

hell yeah, Hydra Dominatus

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah Starstriders are one box with literally no customization options and Inquisitorial Agents' entire gimmick is needing a sideboard of several other boxes, they're basically the extremes of how much you need to buy for a single kill team

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was thinking more along the lines of last season vs. This season so far. Last season the star was the terrain, so if you were interested you could pick the teams up later for $50. This season, the box with both Killteams, terrain and the books was $130 while the two teams are $65 and $75.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Frog Act posted:

Also with everyone’s help in here I finished painting my first proper squad since like 2009 or so. They’re too lovely to post I think but I’m pretty happy with them as a first effort

Nothing is too lovely to post

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

https://youtu.be/NMhOpZcQnVk?si=Bjd61S9nKoh5XmuV

protomexican
May 1, 2009

86 hero rock, sub hero entire-other-space-marine

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although that hero... smoke looks really easy to cut away so you can put him on something else. Especially compared with other models.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

better imo, but it's probably just the paintjob too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pose fits with the claws much better too.

I'm sure the model looks good in person since golden angles are kind of not the greatest with kits of troops in flight.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Way better with claws. I like the new regular Lord more than the jump pack Lord, but I will miss the menacing walking forward with big rear end hammer boy

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Those claws look so good. I really like the finger design and how articulated they look.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

It really varies, annoyingly. Some of the KT boxes make a single unit for 40k and a proper fully playable Kill Team in that game. Some of them do the former but not quite the latter unless you're willing to magnetise/forego a heavy weapon option or whatever, some of them literally have like 5 binary choices so you pretty much have to buy another box or do some extensive work and then some of them require you to buy entire other boxes to make a viable roster.

I'm curious how the Patriarch is gonna function in KT, I think he's the most powerful thing they've allowed in this edition of KT in terms of 40k points value/in lore power. I think usually killing a patriarch just on its own would be an objective for an opposition KT that they'd expect to die trying to do.

Yeah I have to admit coming from sixth edition or whatever all of this is confusing me a bit, so I think I'll probably build the Starstriders first and see how I feel, maybe play them if I can somehow find someone to play a couple matches with. Everything I've read implies the IA box requires at least two boxes of the same KT, maybe even 3 (lmao) to do something really cool with it, so that'll have to wait. It also sounds like the Ork Boyz are pretty straightforward as well at least

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah Starstriders are one box with literally no customization options and Inquisitorial Agents' entire gimmick is needing a sideboard of several other boxes, they're basically the extremes of how much you need to buy for a single kill team

Which ones would people characterize as falling somewhere in the middle spectrum? I'm mostly just curious, I've read the rules and it seems like quite a lot depends on playing to a specific strength (getting into melee, using breaching abilities, having a powerful sniper or gunner you herd enemies towards, etc).

The Demilich posted:

Nothing is too lovely to post

if you say so! I appreciate how kind this thread has been because this took me a lot of time and they came out pretty crappy but I think I did learn some basic lessons about how to paint things moving forward

I forgot to do homie with the grenade launcher in Lothern blue, originally I was gonna have a sort of variety of blue shades to indicate a lack of standardization but decided the blue/yellow looked best if everyone was matching to some degree

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ToyotaThong posted:

Legionaries and Lord

Love traitor guard that aren't all spikes and mutations, it's a much cooler vibe imo, well channeled here

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It wasn't part of the presentation but they revealed the contents of the combat patrol box for chaos

Master of the Possessed
10 cultists
10 legionaires
5 possessed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frog Act posted:

Which ones would people characterize as falling somewhere in the middle spectrum? I'm mostly just curious, I've read the rules and it seems like quite a lot depends on playing to a specific strength (getting into melee, using breaching abilities, having a powerful sniper or gunner you herd enemies towards, etc).

Most teams can be built out of one box and want a second box for all options, though for some teams you really want a mix of options for a single list and some teams don't really need the extra options. Since swapping out models is a big part of the game you can often build a playable list out of one box, just one one which can take all comers. No idea how they match up to 40k units though

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Most teams can be built out of one box and want a second box for all options, though for some teams you really want a mix of options for a single list and some teams don't really need the extra options. Since swapping out models is a big part of the game you can often build a playable list out of one box, just one one which can take all comers. No idea how they match up to 40k units though

cool, seems like I should jump in with my Starstriders or Orks and then start the more complicated ones, thanks!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It wasn't part of the presentation but they revealed the contents of the combat patrol box for chaos

Master of the Possessed
10 cultists
10 legionaires
5 possessed

So that's 3 new boxes then, right? The new combat patrol, the box that comes with the jumpack lord, and the box that comes with a regular lord? I don't really need any of that stuff but grabbing 2 out of those 3 or all 3 seems like it would get you a huge way towards a full csm army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They did 'encourage' you to buy both battle force boxes on the stream. :v: