Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

condolences to the iVRy guy whose investment in that dongle is useless now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Exciting news, hoping this ends up being the case. I just really want to use my PSVR2 on PC.

repiv posted:

condolences to the iVRy guy whose investment in that dongle is useless now

lmao yeah that was my first thought as well. He spent thousands of dollars on PSVR2 headsets and equipment to work on this project. Even before this firmware update, he really had nothing to show for it since it wouldn't work with Nvidia cards on Windows.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you will still need a virtuallink adapter to hook it up, unless you have one of the few GPUs with USB-C built in

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

repiv posted:

you will still need a virtuallink adapter to hook it up, unless you have one of the few GPUs with USB-C built in

That was what, two generations of Nvidia cards a few years ago?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidia only had it for the RTX 20 generation

AMD had it on RDNA2 and still has it on RDNA3

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

yeah, unless you're on a radeon, psvr2 is gonna be a pain in the butt lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Truga posted:

yeah, unless you're on a radeon, psvr2 is gonna be a pain in the butt lol

Will it just be one of these? https://www.bizlinktech.com/products/detail/1332/VirtualLink%E2%84%A2+Interface+Adapter I have no idea what to expect. This doesn't seem too bad?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah that's what you need, but according to the iVRy guy bizlink has discontinued their adapter since the virtuallink standard died on the vine

maybe sony will put out their own equivalent

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cheap Quest 2 for everyone!
https://www.uploadvr.com/quest-2-price-cut-200/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhCmIWYBW0
7.5/10, although imo if you listen to what he says, it seems it should be higher, he liked it plenty. I guess it gets some minuses for lack of innovation and lack of "VR-ness"

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 21, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
had a moment of panic where i had a water spill, and my quest 3 was in the splash zone. unfortunately fuckin capillary action meant that little fan vent in the front sucked up as much liquid as possible. shook it out and actual full drops. so i panic power down and let it dry.

the next day after it dried something was definitely hosed up with it but it eventually ended up figuring its poo poo out and booting after an hour of powering it up and down and updating it

so A+ disaster recovery on this thing. didnt even have to lie on an RMA

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhCmIWYBW0
7.5/10, although imo if you listen to what he says, it seems it should be higher, he liked it plenty. I guess it gets some minuses for lack of innovation and lack of "VR-ness"

I had a (very small) part in the development of this game!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

repiv posted:

Most of the gaming laptop cards have USB-C built in (mine is a RTX 3060 laptop card)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
3 Body Problem on Netflix just came out and has hilariously stupid VR sequences in Episode 2. Even got an "Oculus" namedrop

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Zero VGS posted:

3 Body Problem on Netflix just came out and has hilariously stupid VR sequences in Episode 2. Even got an "Oculus" namedrop

the book has VR sequences too

Never gonna ruin it by watching the netflix

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Man, Underdogs is both fun and a crazy good workout.

https://i.imgur.com/SKrbkdh.mp4

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I bought an aftermarket adjustable faceplate for my Quest 3. You can adjust how far the wings on the sides extend, to make the faceplate more curvy or flat. The stock faceplate is too curvy for any face I think. It's as round as a loving coconut.

Pro's:

A little more comfortable than the stock faceplate, but not as comfortable as the Quest 2's
Completely blocks out light around my nose
Slimmer profile gets my eyes closer to the lenses, and with the IPD on the widest setting, my FOV is awesome.

Cons:

Some light gets through the back of the faceplate, and I can see spots of light on my display if the light source is behind me
Lenses can fog up easier with less empty space inside the headset. It's air vents don't do much.
Kind of pricey for what it is. But the price has been reduced a little, and microsoft edge can give a coupon discount

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRKTQF6J?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Anybody else have random Quest link issues with a cable? Its happened a few times before but my Q3 wont communicate with my pc at all, I dont even do pc link for games much anymore but I do use it to dump my recordings onto my PC.

It seems to always happen when they do a larger update, especially if it involves link improvements.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

Anybody else have random Quest link issues with a cable? Its happened a few times before but my Q3 wont communicate with my pc at all, I dont even do pc link for games much anymore but I do use it to dump my recordings onto my PC.

It seems to always happen when they do a larger update, especially if it involves link improvements.

ive had similar problems but not really sure the cause yeah. have you tried disabling airlink within the headset before plugging it in?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Al! posted:

ive had similar problems but not really sure the cause yeah. have you tried disabling airlink within the headset before plugging it in?

Yeah Ive toggled every possible link related settings on and off in different configurations to see if it might be one of them. Tried different cables and USB ports but nada. Even when this happened before Id at least hear the device connection sound on my pc but not even getting that this time.

Seems to always randomly fix itself eventually too everytime this has happened in the past.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

these devices are some of the weirdest tech ive ever gotten my hands on. per my "accidentally loving soaking it" story the thing didnt work at all when wet, worked a little bit when damp, and is now fine (as long as i didnt damage the battery and am unknowingly wearing a bomb on my head)

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

AccountSupervisor posted:

Mine will just randomly not find my PC, plugging and replugging does nothing, toggling to airlink and I see my pc but can’t connect at all. Quest even shows charging so the cable is working. Rebooting the quest and my PC gets it all going again but it’s super annoying. I pretty much only use my quest for iracing so it stays connected on my rig the whole time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ever since i upgraded to the q3 with the better hand tracking Unplugged has become my favorite game. when i pop home for lunch, i usually bang out a couple of tracks and crawl up the leaderboard. getting a perfect still feels like its far away but ive practiced some of the songs enough to really enter flow state where my brain doesnt need to track what my hands are already doing, freeing me to actually rock out kicking my feet and hopping around

if you played around with unplugged on the q2 and found it frustrating but have a q3, id give it another look.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Al! posted:

ever since i upgraded to the q3 with the better hand tracking Unplugged has become my favorite game. when i pop home for lunch, i usually bang out a couple of tracks and crawl up the leaderboard. getting a perfect still feels like its far away but ive practiced some of the songs enough to really enter flow state where my brain doesnt need to track what my hands are already doing, freeing me to actually rock out kicking my feet and hopping around

if you played around with unplugged on the q2 and found it frustrating but have a q3, id give it another look.

I've heard mixed opinions on the hand tracking. I might have to give that a shot. But as someone who's played guitar for many years, I might be too picky about the mechanics.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Been on a space binge so running through a bunch of VR space sims, lately.

Discounting modding flatscreen games (though I will likely finally run through X-Wing Alliance and the recreated Tie Fighter), games I'm aware of:

Elite Dangerous
House of the Dying Sun
Star Wars: Squadrons
X Rebirth
Absolute Territory
Battlegroup VR
Aircar (Sorta. It's more a Blade Runner spinner simulator, but scratches the itch)
Everspace
Star Trek Bridge Crew

Anyone got recommendations / other stuff I should check out re: VR space sims?

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 23, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Discounting modding flatscreen games (though I will likely finally run through X-Wing Alliance and the recreated Tie Fighter), games I'm aware of:

Elite Dangerous
House of the Dying Sun
X Rebirth
Absolute Territory
Battlegroup VR
Aircar (Sorta. It's more a Blade Runner spinner simulator, but scratches the itch)
Everspace

stellaris: ghost signal is more in the rts vein but its got some great looking space bitz

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mode 7 posted:

Elite Dangerous
House of the Dying Sun
X Rebirth
Absolute Territory
Battlegroup VR
Everspace

No Mans Sky

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

everything but the hardest supernatural maps kinda suck but they are still way better at keeping the pace up than Beat Saber

With Beat Saber you really have to decide how much to put into it.. Also, counterintuitively, I find that some songs are better for overall intensity on Faster Song / Expert instead of Super Fast / Expert so that there's more space to get into moving your whole body even if the song is technically slower. (deadmau5 - Ghosts 'n' Stuff, for example)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 23, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

We discovered flying mode in Walkabout Mini Golf and flew to Saturn in the space station course. I assumed it was just a skybox but nope, it’s actually a massive planet and rings that you can fly to (it takes like 10-15 minutes to get there lol)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some AR research from Meta
https://twitter.com/AIatMeta/status/1770844932346920976

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've been playing flat screen House of the Dying Sun (Steam Deck) and it rules. I'm considering how I can buy a laptop that can actually run VR so I can play ED.

Unplugged feels like the tracking is a bit lacking to be honest. Probably why I've been having much more fun with Paradiddle. I'm on Q3 and sometimes it just feels off.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

May have been posted already but Fanatical has a pretty good make your own VR bundle right now.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-elite-vr-bundle

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Beastie posted:

I've been playing flat screen House of the Dying Sun (Steam Deck) and it rules. I'm considering how I can buy a laptop that can actually run VR so I can play ED.

Unplugged feels like the tracking is a bit lacking to be honest. Probably why I've been having much more fun with Paradiddle. I'm on Q3 and sometimes it just feels off.

oh yeah i forgot to mention i highly recommend using an object as a fretboard. it seems to help the tracking to not just try and hold the air. ive got a geekbar disposable vaporizer that is the perfect shape size and heft for me bit ymmv

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Al! posted:

oh yeah i forgot to mention i highly recommend using an object as a fretboard. it seems to help the tracking to not just try and hold the air. ive got a geekbar disposable vaporizer that is the perfect shape size and heft for me bit ymmv

No poo poo? That's interesting. Do you just cup it in your palm and do the fingering from there?

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Duck_King posted:

Man, Underdogs is both fun and a crazy good workout.

https://i.imgur.com/SKrbkdh.mp4

My quest is now an Underdogs rig. I still haven't beat the first put boss, but I did at least see him today.

If you go full gorilla mode it is definitely a workout, and goofy as hell.

I was struggling with the Alpha dogs (I think) grabbing my arms, but realized I could just beat on them with the other arm - it's double effective, they take damage and let go early!

Best part is I feel like I'm working towards some flow state, where I'm smashing something, turning to knock the next one out of the air and then squaring up for a smash all automatic and smooth like. I'm sure I look stupid, but it feels awesome.

5 out of 5. Doesn't hurt that Peter Watts (of Blindsight) was "involved"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

May have been posted already but Fanatical has a pretty good make your own VR bundle right now.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-elite-vr-bundle

Also, using coupon code OMEN will take another 10% off. Fanatical has really overtaken Humble as the best bundle website in the last couple years.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ragaduffin posted:

5 out of 5. Doesn't hurt that Peter Watts (of Blindsight) was "involved"

Huh, I don't know who that is but between your post and his post I'm sold on it. Typically I lean towards chill couch experiences so I was gonna pass, but it sounds like a nice change of pace

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Beastie posted:

No poo poo? That's interesting. Do you just cup it in your palm and do the fingering from there?

yeah like if you cut a cross section from an electric guitar neck and i stabilize it by putting my thumb on the side of the mouthpiece. it keeps you from pressing your fingers into your palm, which can make the tracking go wacky. shot up the leaderboards, 2 and 3 slots on a few songs, top ten on some others now

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

goferchan posted:

Huh, I don't know who that is but between your post and his post I'm sold on it. Typically I lean towards chill couch experiences so I was gonna pass, but it sounds like a nice change of pace

I think it's got that something special, and I haven't even beat the first boss. It's definitely not chill, at least the bulk of it, but it's another game where you learn things, get better, understand tricks - not as a character in the game leveling up, but as the person playing the game (fromsoft style)

The 5th time I went through the game, I had the same equipment, but I did much better because I, the player, has learned things - that's fun. I don't think I'm really at a limit because of fitness - I get tired, sure, but mostly I'm still just making simple mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah it's dope af. The physics based combat feels really natural and satisfying. Clever having you holding handles in the cockpit that are in the same place as your controllers irl, really heightens your sense of presence.