Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Finally got my first E score!

This was when I realised I might have a good run on my hands.

I'd gotten to about Ante 6 or 7 with Campfire, but dropped it for either Hologram or Vampire, I forget which came first.

Previous to this point, I'd also had Cartomancer which created a Tarot card each blind, which fed Fortune Teller directly, and Vampire indirectly through the enhanced cards.

Marble Joker added a Stone card each blind, which directly fed Hologram, and again indirectly fed Vampire with the stone cards.

I also had vouchers that gave me more interest, cheaper cards in the store, and the ability to buy playing cards from the store, so I could just pour cards into Hologram.

The next couple of shops went nuts. Cavendish just did it's thing and I'd been playing pretty much just pairs up until that point, so I had a huge window with Obelisk. I had enough econ that I didn't need Marble joker to create enhanced cards for me, I could just buy packs to increase the flat mult on Fortune Teller then 5 mult multipliers after that should go crazy.

By the end I had around 75 mult x 3.5 x 3 x 15 x 17 x 17 and finished up in Ante 14.

As always, an element of luck with getting the jokers in the first place, but it definitely felt like a run that I was able to build from the knowledge of the game I'd built up, knowing when to pivot and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I truly want more weird card types and things that can happen to the cards. A # of diamonds that counts as every number? Ok. An ace of a suit type of suit??? Now we’re talking.

I keep thinking. Why not bring in the various Euro suits? Cups, Wands, Coins, Swords. I think Germany uses Acorns, let's make it a challenge to make a flush.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

I keep thinking. Why not bring in the various Euro suits? Cups, Wands, Coins, Swords. I think Germany uses Acorns, let's make it a challenge to make a flush.

Throw some Uno cards in too, for good measure

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

That's where the final boss blinds are taken from :eng101: Disappointed that we got Heart again instead of swords or batons though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

A tarot deck deck would be so sick

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
i've got about 20 hours in, cleared a few different colored decks, but highest ante I've gotten to is 11. the jump from 10 to 11 is crazy, I have no idea how people are keeping pace on their mults. there's a few good general strategy pages out there but I don't think I've seen one yet that talks about how to make the jump into double digit antes and keep your mults up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

i've got about 20 hours in, cleared a few different colored decks, but highest ante I've gotten to is 11. the jump from 10 to 11 is crazy, I have no idea how people are keeping pace on their mults. there's a few good general strategy pages out there but I don't think I've seen one yet that talks about how to make the jump into double digit antes and keep your mults up.
There are two approaches. The meta one that gets the biggest scores is moving from the standard left to right post-score +chips, +mult, Xmult build to one that stacks Xmult as each card is scored + steel + glass card.

The other way is just gold mask, fat fucken vampire, blueprint.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yeah every time so far I've made it like A10 or higher was through 2 good xmult jokers I could reliably trigger.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I should get a "I beat gold stakes in Balatro" bumper sticker for my car

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The wild thing is that a Vampire + Blueprint setup is still only quadratic scaling (or quartic scaling on the Plasma Deck, I guess) and will rapidly fall behind the greater-than-exponential-growth of the blinds. One of the "in-hand" multiplication builds seems like the only real way to stack multiplications repeatedly and get a long way into Endless - I had one just now which got me to Ante 14 and probably could've got me further if I managed my deck better/I didn't get really unlucky on one of the blinds and fail to get a hand full of Kings for the first time in ages.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 21, 2024

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

what I'm always keeping on eye out for is one perfect in-hand card and one perfect play card (ie a Steel, Red Seal King in hand and a Glass, Red Seal, Poly/Holo/Foil card of any type, really, to play)

If I manage to get two cards like that, or even one, I'm ready to ditch literally any other strategy I'm currently running for retriggering Jokers and Death (card copy) tarots

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

i'm now double dipping balatro on switch so i have portable balatro

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

That's where the final boss blinds are taken from :eng101: Disappointed that we got Heart again instead of swords or batons though.

drat, I never noticed. That's cool

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Who do you want first, Baseball Card or Constellation?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Got my first gold stakes win! :toot: Played on checkered deck.

Every single wheel of fortune I played succeeded and helped this happen.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Every single wheel of fortune I played succeeded and helped this happen.

Gold stake win removed due to cheating.

Congrats :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How are you supposed to make use of the Obelisk Joker? By the time you’ve built up your main hand to account for other hands made under that limit, your ante count is likely too high or too invested in planet cards to justify switching to a different hand. :confused:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm glad Space Joker doesn't say "Nope!" whenever it fails because I might consider putting my fist through my monitor otherwise

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How are you supposed to make use of the Obelisk Joker? By the time you’ve built up your main hand to account for other hands made under that limit, your ante count is likely too high or too invested in planet cards to justify switching to a different hand. :confused:

Your options are legitimately "build up a weak hand at low antes and then just never play that hand again" or "have a build where you can easily pivot off your current hand".

I've done a couple obelisk runs with the second, if you're building for like, two pair or 3 of a kind its usually pretty easy to transition to pair, full house, 4 of a kind, etc.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

MJeff posted:

Who do you want first, Baseball Card or Constellation?

Baseball card triggers its effect on the location of the uncommon jokers, so it can be placed anywhere.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arzaac posted:

Your options are legitimately "build up a weak hand at low antes and then just never play that hand again" or "have a build where you can easily pivot off your current hand".

I've done a couple obelisk runs with the second, if you're building for like, two pair or 3 of a kind its usually pretty easy to transition to pair, full house, 4 of a kind, etc.

Yeah I had built up a run using two pair because I skipped a blind to upgrade two pair super early. By the time Obelisk showed up in ante 5, two pair had about15 more hands than anything else so I just transitioned into full houses and flushes for the rest of the run.

edit: really one of the harder things to learn and make choices on is when to pivot to something else. Part of that choice is about if you are just trying to beat ante 8 or go far in endless. There is a huge risk/reward on getting rid of something that you feel like you need to keep winning hands now vs. something that will dominate 3 antes up if you can make it there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My eternal joker challenge is going great! I've gotten two blueprints and a brainstorm! Now let's see what the ante 8 boss is

Oh it's Verdant Leaf and it wants me to sell a joker. There was never a reroll voucher in the store.

:negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 22, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's red stakes down, green deck pulls through again. Got lucky with the credit card joker and then wraith spectral card, so I went from $-16 to $0 and got a rare joker out of it.

I also just skipped a lot of blinds in general that time, the tags worked out pretty well.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

EVIL Gibson posted:

Found this channel and if you like the smooth and explanatory type of videos instead of the chipmunk on meth videos, this is a good guy is still turn him up to 1.25 speed

Balatro University
36 jokers and high card

In the last two parts, he was looking and taking every skip copy and waiting until the next joker is negative skip.

This video starts right after he finally finds the negative skip.

Near the timestamp (definitely watch at 1.5 speed) he moves the jokers around (in this case blueprint) while scoring to retrigger - thought this was debunked in the thread but here's video evidence.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Desdinova posted:

Near the timestamp (definitely watch at 1.5 speed) he moves the jokers around (in this case blueprint) while scoring to retrigger - thought this was debunked in the thread but here's video evidence.

I watched this the other day so I might be remembering it wrong, but the changes aren't to the scoring. His move only takes effect between scoring and calculating the additional money collected. So when it start scoring it "locks" the joker order for that purpose, but reads the new order when calculating funds. Unless I read that completely wrong while I was watching.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Beat Ante 14 for the first time ever with Blueprint/Brainstorm/Hologram/Burned/DNA. Got high card leveled up to the 90s with a deck that contained 80+ Red tag/holo/Steel aces.

Deck was already producing e numbers at the end of ante 8, feels like I could have gone a lot further if I transitioned from upgrading high card to upgrading flush 5 with Burned around then. I have a lot of trouble swapping hands, feels wrong to give up dozens of levels on a hand in the hope your new hand will outscale it 6 rounds from now assuming you survive till then with your 'primary' hand no longer scaling up.

e: Thinking about it would flush 5 even be better than just holding 4 extra red tag/steel cards in hand? Game rules.

uPen fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 22, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The best route I've seen people go with is using DNA and/or Perkeo to repeatedly copy a really stacked poly glass red seal card and a steel red seal card (king with baron joker preferably) and do five flushes with the former with a bunch of the latter in hand.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Only time I've managed to make obelisk work was on a Vagabond run, where I just went "okay good enough" and stopped generating high card tarots and just finished the run, but it probably would've won anyways because Vagabond.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress the eternal joker challenge lmao, it just hard counters you every single hand

e: stop giving me verdant leaf holy poo poo

e: Finally got it with amber acorn and a wheel of fortune'd polychrome madness on ante 1. That was miserable lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 22, 2024

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Alkanos posted:

I watched this the other day so I might be remembering it wrong, but the changes aren't to the scoring. His move only takes effect between scoring and calculating the additional money collected. So when it start scoring it "locks" the joker order for that purpose, but reads the new order when calculating funds. Unless I read that completely wrong while I was watching.

He explains that exact point in the video, you understand it correctly. During actual scoring if you move jokers it doesn't make a difference. You can move them after scoring and before money generation to boost money.

Most frustrating thing about Balatro is it's trivial to make an error and have no way to fix it. I was on my way to clearing an Ante 8, and I clicked on the wrong joker and sold it. Then I was playing a hand and hit discard instead of play. There really isnt a solution to this besides "be more careful" (an undo button would break the game) but I definitely was kicking myself over it.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 22, 2024

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Alkanos posted:

Yeah, this really should be in the OP, doesn't happen often but worth knowing for the $$$

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Note that a lot of end-of-round econ jokers specifically do not allow blueprint copying, but some do, so make sure they're compatible.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I leaned something new today.

If you get your hand size down to zero, you immediately lose as soon as you start the next round.

Here's a seed it's pretty easy to do it with: YA3YS4U6

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I think I'm starting to hate this game. It's entirely my own fault, but autopiloting through four antes only to absent mindedly play a face card and wipe out 80 mult worth of ride the bus on the only black deck run to have taken off today is maybe enough to put me off trying again.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So are flush builds the big early game meta at the moment? I always end up gravitating towards them and they are usually what I win with. Still playing at low stakes at the moment to unlock everything though... Its hard to make the other hands work consistently I've found.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

misguided rage posted:

I think I'm starting to hate this game. It's entirely my own fault, but autopiloting through four antes only to absent mindedly play a face card and wipe out 80 mult worth of ride the bus on the only black deck run to have taken off today is maybe enough to put me off trying again.

skill issue

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

So are flush builds the big early game meta at the moment? I always end up gravitating towards them and they are usually what I win with. Still playing at low stakes at the moment to unlock everything though... Its hard to make the other hands work consistently I've found.

They're really friendly and easy to learn the game on. They run into serious scaling issues on higher stakes, but for white stake a flush build is always going to be a solid choice. Don't try to force them, though, and branch out when you see opportunities to try something else.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You're not wrong but my immediate feeling wasn't 'oh no i lost' but 'oh well that was really tedious at least i get to stop now'. The game is way less good as you push the difficulty.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Yeah, if you don't have any other synergies going flush is never a bad choice, but if you're in the back half of ante 2 and playing flushes because you have no joker combos to speak of, you're likely dead in the water.

Go where the jokers take you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i fuckking regret unlocking everything now i cant go for achievements

dont do it buddies