Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think if you have a wedding theme you do that with the wedding party, officiants, performers, and selected guests who want to, you don't enforce a cosplay dress code on everybody.

Literally going to any wedding has a "cosplay" code. That is just usually suits and formal dresses.

If I show up to a wedding as a guest in jeans and a t-shirt, people are going to either deny me entry or look at me funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA if I stop watching my niece knowing I'm the last person my brother in law has

quote:

I 31 (f) have been watching my niece (8) for my brother in law (34) for almost a year now. I am the last person he has to watch her because she has behavior problems. I also have three kids of my own. My niece doesn't go to the same school as my kids. That's a big part of the story. I have her five to six nights a week so her dad can go to his night job. I also take her to school, on the opposite side of town that my kids go to. I only charge him $40 a week, just so I have gas money.
Here's the problem, I have found out he's been complaining and trying to tell people that I'm trying to get him to pay my rent and how he doesn't understand why she's a few minutes late for school. He hasn't said anything to me but has been complaining about me to anyone who will listen. I found out that he's been doing this the entire time I've been watching her.
Again I'm the last person he has to watch her and take her to school. So my question is would I be the a hole if I stop watching her since he's done nothing but complain about me and tried to spread lies ?

$40 is way too much for this feeding hand

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm gonna be picky here, i don't think it's "shunning is a form of bullying" so much as "shunning can be a form of bullying". i think intent is really what makes an act 'bullying' and i don't think the child standing up for himself and his boundaries here qualifies as such.
The issue here is power. You can't "bully" someone who controls your life. Hurting their feelings is neither here nor there.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

If I show up to a wedding as a guest in jeans and a t-shirt, people are going to either deny me entry or look at me funny.

On the flip side, I once showed up to an outdoor wedding in black tie attire and was quickly reminded that it was a wedding of rafting guides, and I was the only non-wedding-party dude wearing anything but a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts

I've always made sure to confirm the dress code ahead of time since then

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Maroon Hawk posted:

On the flip side, I once showed up to an outdoor wedding in black tie attire and was quickly reminded that it was a wedding of rafting guides, and I was the only non-wedding-party dude wearing anything but a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts

They sold you down the river!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think if you have a wedding theme you do that with the wedding party, officiants, performers, and selected guests who want to, you don't enforce a cosplay dress code on everybody.

“Enforce” is a really loaded term that you are choosing to use without support from the story

“Encourage”, maybe, but “enforce” sounds way harsher than they stated and you are being uncharitable, which colors your entire view on the story

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yoooo this takes me back to a time when my girlfriend at the time told me we were going to a wedding so I pooped on my suit and tie and we went.

What I didn't know was that the groom was wearing a button down and a tie with khakis. I felt so drat out of place. Everyone else was in shorts and jeans and T-shirts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Yoooo this takes me back to a time when my girlfriend at the time told me we were going to a wedding so I pooped on my suit and tie and we went.

What I didn't know was that the groom was wearing a button down and a tie with khakis. I felt so drat out of place. Everyone else was in shorts and jeans and T-shirts.

Well, your first problem was the poo poo smell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tater_salad posted:

Ah, the ultra-formal brown tie dress code

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

rotinaj posted:

“Enforce” is a really loaded term that you are choosing to use without support from the story

“Encourage”, maybe, but “enforce” sounds way harsher than they stated and you are being uncharitable, which colors your entire view on the story

Are you accusing me of using words on purpose!?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Are you accusing me of using words on purpose!?

Being wrong in your interpretation and using words that show your incorrectness.

You were close though.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

tater_salad posted:

Was it the Grink's wedding?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It was a sewage theme.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mordiceius posted:

Literally going to any wedding has a "cosplay" code. That is just usually suits and formal dresses.

The last wedding I went to was at a pizza place/mini-golf course/arcade. I asked my friend, the bride, if I should break out my suit and she laughed at me. It was 100% a jeans and t-shirt affair.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for telling my son to pay back the money he spent on his online girlfriend?

No way this isn't roblox

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Desert Bus posted:

The last wedding I went to was at a pizza place/mini-golf course/arcade. I asked my friend, the bride, if I should break out my suit and she laughed at me. It was 100% a jeans and t-shirt affair.

Oh totally. I just feel like people should understand that weddings may have dress codes and if you're going to attend, you should fit that.

About a year ago, my wife and I went to a friend's wedding. It was an Indian wedding. We were told "dress fancy and flashy. we're talkin' bright colors and sequins. you should look like you're about to go perform in Vegas." My wife and I didn't throw a tantrum because we had nothing that fit that style. Instead, we went and bought a suit and dress that would fit (and then returned them to the store after the wedding).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Loden Taylor posted:

Later, at the funeral:

Uhhh..... :nms: ?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Weddings absolutely have dress codes, that part isn't odd. Most everyone has a formal outfit they can put on for such events. So putting together a detailed guide to instruct your guests what is proper costume wear for the occasion, with options for each budget tier? For people who aren't in the wedding party? No thank you.

This is the part that makes me raise my eyebrows - because you know they didn't just make their guide to be kind, they did it to make sure everyone knows what's expected of them, and to get ahead of complaints - this makes it so if anyone complains, they can play intentionally obtuse 'I don't understand why you're so upset' card - because 'you don't even have to put in much effort, we made it so easy for you!'

quote:

We included photos, descriptions, budget categories that went from how to DIY a costume using old/thrifted clothes to just straight out buying something online. We also asked people to reach out if they had any worries so we could work something out.

And the caveat to reach out feels like a circumstance where no matter what you say, they'll try to 'work something out' for you to wear a costume. It'll just be suggestions how you can make an outfit that fits into their guide. The whole thing feels pushy AF and that's why the guests are reacting. They're not gonna complain directly tho, it'll just forever be 'that wedding where the hosts sent out that detailed costume guide to make absolutely sure no one deviated'. Which is what is happening - he's hearing about it through the grapevine - and OP has the chutzpah to go shocked Pikachu face about it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 21, 2024

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

If you're paying for a party you can tell the attendees to dress however you like because it's your party lmao.

Anyone who insists on being a wet blanket can stay home and let the cool people have fun at the theme wedding.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This is the part that makes me raise my eyebrows - because you know they didn't just make their guide to be kind, they did it to make sure everyone knows what's expected of them, and to get ahead of complaints - this makes it so if anyone complains, they can play intentionally obtuse 'I don't understand why you're so upset' card - because 'you don't even have to put in much effort, we made it so easy for you!'

”Stranger’s last post on this” posted:

I get worried about how the rest of the event will be like and what the consequences of failing to stay 'within the guide' will turn out to be.

You… may want to seek some therapy for your apparent wedding related trauma, whoever you are projecting into this story sounds like they suck

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'll happily wear a costume to a wedding of a cool couple. These people? Not cool, you can just read it in the vibes.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

What if the bride has bad vibes?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotinaj posted:

You… may want to seek some therapy for your apparent wedding related trauma, whoever you are projecting into this story sounds like they suck

sometimes feels like half this drat thread's participants were deeply scarred by weddings lol

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Grey Cat posted:

What if the bride has bad vibes?

Only one half of the couple has bad vibes? Show up in a half and half costume.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol seriously, what kind of horror show weddings did y’all go to to react like this? Most weddings I’ve been to have been hella good times and the worst I can think of were a few that were just “meh, pleasant but forgettable”

e: actually wait, the one ceremony I actively disliked was the only Catholic one I’ve been to, but even that was less because of the religious aspect and more because I was horrendously hungover and didn’t expect all the standing and sitting :v: but that’s on me, and the reception/afterparty more than jade up for it

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 21, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
AITA for commenting on my date's appearance when he was being rude?

quote:

I'm not sure about this one as it seems I crossed a boundary but it made sense at the time.

I (23f) have a friend I'll call Ana. We are not best friends but close enough that we hang out and text somewhat frequently. She knows that I'm currently single and offered to set me up with her brother (29m) on a blind date.I was happy and said yes because I was curious.

When we had the date, it was probably one of the worst dates I've ever had. He talked only about himself, was rude to the waitress and kept making offputing comments about my body like "you have good tits but you should lose some weight or do some squats for your butt. Then you can be considered curvy and not fat" or "are you sure you want the fries... gotta watch your calories" and other similar things. For context I'm not overweight by any means (I struggle sometimes with anorexia but currently good with an average weight for my height ). I laughed it off and changed topics but I already knew it wasn't going to work out.

After a bit I made excuses and we left. At this point he tried to take me to his house insinuating a hookup. I politely said no. He continues pressing me saying "I know you want it, don't lie". I said "definitely no..." and explained that his behaviour was rude and offputting. He said something about how all us women enjoy a guy that's mean to them and how we like to put up a fight.

At this point I might be the AH. I said this exactly "Yes, but those men have to look a lot better than you for women to enjoy that" (which is actually my honest opinion). He looked visible taken aback so I tried to explain that I had no issue with his looks if he had a good personality, but to pull off saying the things he said he would have to be a supermodel or something. He was clearly upset so we split the check and went our separate ways.

Ana asked me in chat how it went and I replied that we weren't right for each other and both said some mean things. She said it was a pity it didn't work out and that's it. A week later I kept trying to message her and call but she wouldn't respond, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. Today I met a mutual friend of me and Ana. She said that Ana was really mad at me. Apparently her brother struggles a lot with body and looks issues and after my comments was in depression and refusing to date ever again. My friend said that even though he was rude to me I didn't have to comment on his looks.

I can see that I was unnecessarily hurtful but under the context I do not regret it. Was I the AH ? Will Ana ever forgive me?

Edit: because so many people took it out of context it made me think that I didn't phrase it right. I want to clarify, if he was a hotter guy and made those comments - that would never be okay. No matter your looks/popularity/richness fat shaming and pressuring for sex are never okay. I was referring more to the "bad boy charm" that can sometimes come with teasing/ witty rapartee. None of which falls under what he said about my weight. Saying that hotter guys can pull it off was in regards to "I know you want it" - which if both parties want it ..can be hot. That's it!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Kuros posted:

Only one half of the couple has bad vibes? Show up in a half and half costume.

Got you covered, in couture

https://www.fashionbrandcompany.com/products/bride-groom-jumpsuit

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

Steve Jobs followed the Mucusless Diet Healing System by Arnold Ehret, a German quack. It first came out in 1924.

oh poo poo, Dr Sebi evolved from someone else, I see. I just heard this episode of the F Plus about Dr Sebi and he had a bunch of fuckin weird mucus beliefs and also thought rice was plastic and artificial, not a plant. And that pigs were a cross between two other animals and also made of worms. Said he cured AIDS and treated Michael Jackson.

https://theafricanbiomineralbalance.com/dr-sebi-on-arnold-ehret-and-the-mucusless-diet/

Seems like he absolutely knew about Ehret.

Shanghaied posted:

wahhh I struggle with my looks, don't be mean, YOU FAT COW

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 21, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Steve Jobs famously didn't shower when he worked at Atari bc of that book, but people always make it sounds like he did eventually begin to shower? I really really hope so

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There’s a reason for sticking to established dress codes and stating them clearly on the invitation to formal events. No one should feel under- or overdressed, or have to go shopping for a Fairly Oddpatents steampunk suit that you can’t wear for anything else.

If you want your guests wearing jeans and t-shirt, put down Casual dress.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Ana does not know how much of a rapey scumfuck her brother is, and I would pay money to hear what he thought the date was like from his side

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only dress code I set at my wedding was "no cowboy hats."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

rotinaj posted:

Ana does not know how much of a rapey scumfuck her brother is, and I would pay money to hear what he thought the date was like from his side

"I was every inch the gentleman and she HURRRRT MEEEEEEE"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

The only dress code I set at my wedding was "no cowboy hats."

Smdh at ruling out a wedding present from Doug Dimmadome right off the rip

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"I was every inch the gentleman and she HURRRRT MEEEEEEE"

Aw yeah, say it slower, baby

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shanghaied posted:

The dude's behavior - isn't that a textbook example of the sort of "negging" that PUA books/classes/video teach?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

quote:

He said something about how all us women enjoy a guy that's mean to them and how we like to put up a fight.

At this point I might be the AH. I said this exactly "Yes, but those men have to look a lot better than you for women to enjoy that" (which is actually my honest opinion).

Wait so OP wanted to be negged but not by an uggo? lol

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA if I stop watching my niece knowing I'm the last person my brother in law has

$40 is way too much for this feeding hand

Already an update!

quote:

Already update. He did not respond by the time I got home around 3:30 after getting my own kids. He didn't proceed to try and call me and then blew up my phone to have some he doesn't understand why he should be paying 40 a week when my car was broken down for 2 weeks out of a year of me watching her. And was saying how if he still had to pick her up that he was going to negotiate the $40 a week because he doesn't think that he should be paying me $40 a week for five to six nights of babysitting her. Y'all have no idea how much my blood is boiling but a lot of y'all were right he does not appreciate me he's even bring up the fact that he said that $40 was me trying to pay my rent and then try to say how at the tables were turned he wouldn't charge me. He's never included my kids even on weekends when I've included his daughter to days at the park he would drop her off at the park and then leave and expect me to watch her unpaid unknown that I was supposed to be babysitting her so he could go and do whatever. I'm done with him I love my niece but be audacity of it All if I could post screenshots I would. Thank you all for keeping up and reassuring me that me standing up for myself was the right thing to

I will now copy and paste the whole conversation with him

Me : So the reason I asked is because I know everything you've been saying behind my back. You did the same thing with Hannah when she was watching Olivia and I don't appreciate it. If you're just going to complain about me behind my back to people then why do you have me watch her? I don't appreciate you talking about me behind my back to people and thinking that it's not going to come to me and the things you're complaining about don't make me look bad at all. But yeah I'm done since you want to complain about me I'm done you can find somebody else to watch her.

Him:U mean did I mention to (my mom )that for the past 3 weeks I didn't think I should be paying u 40 per week when I was taking her to school in the a.m. while ur car was broken down?

Me :Wow, so you don't think you should be paying me at all for watching her. Regardless if I was taking her to school or not? Even though I was still watching her.

Him :No if anything I was thinking of renegotiating if that was gonna continue to be a thing and if the shoe was on the other foot and if u were bringing ur kids over here to sleep I wouldn't have charged u anything. But obviously since u had gotten ur new car seat then that would have been out of the question. And didn't I offer to pick ur kids up from school so u could start working at the high school?

Note he only had to pick his daughter up for at most two weeks since my car was broken down. Not three weeks.

OP's comment:

quote:

And that's my point. His daughter has a storied (he means destroyed] quite a few things at my house and he never did anything about it. And honestly what I charge him a week is what my sister pays me whenever she asked me to watch her kid so she can go out. And she used to watch our niece as well but she stopped because of the way him and his daughter are. They're very entitled and honestly it's going to ruin his daughter being like that. But I did message him asking if I hadn't agreed to watch her who would he have had watch her as well as if he has any complaints or concerns about me watching her. I just sent him the message and I will keep you updated on what he has to say. I'm not a conflict kind of person but I don't like lies being told about me.

quote:

Exactly and it's not like my sister her mother isn't around. Like it got to a point where I was working at her school for a couple of days but I took a break because she was acting out at school to the point it affected my job there and I had to tell her teacher and a nurse that I am not her mama if they have a problem with her or questions about their home life they should ask him not me.

quote:

Already update. He did not respond by the time I got home around 3:30 after getting my own kids. He didn't proceed to try and call me and then blew up my phone to have some he doesn't understand why he should be paying 40 a week when my car was broken down for 2 weeks out of a year of me watching her. And was saying how if he still had to pick her up that he was going to negotiate the $40 a week because he doesn't think that he should be paying me $40 a week for five to six nights of babysitting her. Y'all have no idea how much my blood is boiling but a lot of y'all were right he does not appreciate me he's even bring up the fact that he said that $40 was me trying to pay my rent and then try to say how at the tables were turned he wouldn't charge me. He's never included my kids even on weekends when I've included his daughter to days at the park he would drop her off at the park and then leave and expect me to watch her unpaid unknown that I was supposed to be babysitting her so he could go and do whatever. I'm done with him I love my niece but be audacity of it All if I could post screenshots I would. Thank you all for keeping up and reassuring me that me standing up for myself was the right thing to do.

This is like a soap opera, an immensely satisfying soap opera

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Deified Data posted:

Wait so OP wanted to be negged but not by an uggo? lol

Well she say no in the edit:

quote:

Saying that hotter guys can pull it off was in regards to "I know you want it" - which if both parties want it ..can be hot. That's it!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Well she say no in the edit:

Ah I was hoping they both listened to the same red pill podcasts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I love how many people are just completely clueless about the current market price of childcare, because they've been completely shield from that by the kindness of family/friends lol. Like "OMG she's asking for $1 an hour, can you believe it???!!! A WHOLE dollar!!!" Well, you're about to find out what people who don't already like you charge for watching your kids lmao.

FMguru posted:

The dude's behavior - isn't that a textbook example of the sort of "negging" that PUA books/classes/video teach?

Yes. I would say that I'm shocked that people still think that's a thing that works in TYOOL 2024, but on the other hand manosphere shitstains like Andrew Tate are still incredibly popular so, yeah.