Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

exquisite tea posted:

Since this game is launching on PC soon, here are my :siren:TIPS FOR NEW/RETURNING PLAYERS:siren: because the gameplay is different in a few substantial ways from Zero Dawn and a lot of people get rolled upon re-entry.

:words:

i'll add what i think is the most important thing:

go to accessibility settings and enable automatic pickups!

there was no way i was going to manually click triangle (or whatever the button is) on everything, after doing it for the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Automatic pickups sound great. Is inventory junk overload (like unusual hearts without immediate purpose, but maybe you'd better hold onto just in case) as much of an issue in FW as in ZD?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's still a ton of poo poo to pick up but now you can just send everything to your stash without worrying about going over. So there's no reason not to just hoard everything you see.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Alpenglow posted:

Automatic pickups sound great. Is inventory junk overload (like unusual hearts without immediate purpose, but maybe you'd better hold onto just in case) as much of an issue in FW as in ZD?
your inventory doesn't really fill up in a way that forces you to manage it like the previous one, thank god. and items made to be sold are very unambiguously just there to be sold

the high-tier crafting resources are finite, however, so don't go spend them all at once. you'll probably know which ones once you get them

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 20, 2024

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

kliras posted:

your inventory doesn't really fill up in a way that forces you to manage it like the previous one, thank god. and items made to be sold are very unambiguously just there to be sold

the high-tier crafting resources are finite, however, so don't go spend them all at once. you'll probably know which ones once you get them

I'll say that the finite resources are sufficient to upgrade a large number of items if not every item in a single run through the game, and plenty of very good items only require infinite resources. Also setting jobs for crafting materials is super helpful and something that I don't think existed in ZD.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
some people dislike auto-pickup because it also picks up rocks. but if you dont want auto-pickup theres at least a option to disable pickup animations which is good.

Arktix's 2 most recent videos on youtube are also great at introducing HFW gameplay for people coming in fresh from PC

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I do have thousands of rocks in my inventory, but they don't take up any space so who cares?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Aloy walking around Chainscrape.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Turns out, Aloy's favorite hobby was toting out her rock stockpile in in Chainscrape, a handful at a time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Since this game is launching on PC soon, here are my :siren:TIPS FOR NEW/RETURNING PLAYERS:siren: because the gameplay is different in a few substantial ways from Zero Dawn and a lot of people get rolled upon re-entry.

- Most people agree that the game is about one rung harder than the difficulty levels in Zero Dawn. So in other words, if you completed ZD on Hard, that would be more like Normal here. I would not recommend going any deeper than Very Hard for a first playthrough, as Ultra is kind of intended to be the NG+ difficulty.
- Learn what QUICKDRAW is. This is the most important concept in combat and it totally gets glazed over. Basically in Horizon Forbidden West, Aloy can aim 50% faster while sliding, falling from a significant height, riding a mount, or shortly after hitting something with a melee attack. You want to be triggering this all the time because the machines are in general super aggressive and most of the starter weapons are slow to aim. Weave slides in between rolls to increase i-frames and keep Aloy from stumbling.
- Because the machines are a lot more aggressive, having at least one form of crowd control is mandatory. I recommend a Spike Thrower with drill spikes for high knockdown, or the good old Ropecaster with handling coils.
- In Zero Dawn, you could generalize your loadout and be generically good at everything. In Forbidden West, it's better to specialize along a particular skill tree and focus on upgrading the weapons and outfits oriented around that particular playstyle. I recommend Ranger, Infiltrator, and Warrior as the best trees to specialize in early.
- There are six different main elemental types in HFW: Freeze, Shock, Acid, Purgewater, Fire, Plasma. I've listed them in relative order of importance. But just like Zero Dawn, you want to have a balanced weapon loadout that covers a lot of different uses and elemental vulnerabilities.
- If you don't want to kill animals for pouch upgrades, you can buy them for shards in most towns.
- If you don't want a usable item to appear on your toolbar, hold down on the D-Pad and switch it out with Square/X. As long as you don't send those items to your stash, it'll never show up on your scroll wheel again. Personally, I like to have Smoke Bombs as my main D-Pad tool, scroll left for potions/mounts, and scroll right for traps/buffs.
- Completing the main story up to the point where you collect the 3 Big Things will give you all the traversal tools necessary to unlock hidden areas like the metal flowers and underwater caverns.
- Use your valor surges, they are super OP. Waiting until all 3 bars are full = better valor surge, in case that was not obvious.
- Burning Shores (DLC) weapons and outfits are significantly easier to upgrade than those found in the main game, so don't spend too much time grinding out machine parts before heading there.

Nice tips. Signs pointing to Nixxes delivering another top tier port, which is cool because this game deserves reappraisal

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I like keeping rocks below a 100 in inventory, call me weird but i dont like when the number displayed in the toolkit becomes too large

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i wonder if there will be a mod to straight up remove rocks from the game, drat blasted worthless things they are

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Yeah, rocks and ridgewood should have been abstracted away. Maybe make you pick them up in the tutorial, but after that just assume Aloy has them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWNpOHi3kA

Port is looking pretty solid this time around, Nixxes does good work as always. HFW already looks really good on PS5 but it'll be nice to see those amazing vistas without dynamic resolution scaling.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Super excited to play this on PC. I got it on PS5 but the graphics weren't doin' it for me. Unfortunately I got it on a key site (it was $15 cheaper cmon) and all they really say is "it will be delivered today, probably" sigh

Re: rocks, I ask in earnest, when is the last time your pockets were full of rocks and you regretted it? Checkm8

Also thank you for the tips post

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

exquisite tea posted:

- Most people agree that the game is about one rung harder than the difficulty levels in Zero Dawn. So in other words, if you completed ZD on Hard, that would be more like Normal here. I would not recommend going any deeper than Very Hard for a first playthrough, as Ultra is kind of intended to be the NG+ difficulty.

Is it at least possible to play through on Ultra or is it one of those settings where the weakest enemies take 10 minutes to kill unless you already have maxed out weapons on NG+? Ultra offered a decent challenge in the first game but I'll stick with Very Hard if they've done that this time around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The problem with starting out on Ultra isn't so much increased machine health (it's only ~35% or so more over VH IIRC) but their much higher innate elemental resistances, having a lot more elemental types in general, and HP bars being disabled by default. So it's the combination of it being much harder to inflict vulnerabilities while also not really knowing how effective your attacks actually are. It's technically doable and perhaps easier to even the odds once you have access to better gear but I wouldn't say it's the "tough but fair" experience of Ultra in Zero Dawn. Very Hard is more of that sweet spot of difficulty/fairness for me.

Unlike Zero Dawn however, you can totally set a custom difficulty to your exact specifications of machine and player health/damage, so there's always that option!

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kliras posted:

i'll add what i think is the most important thing:

go to accessibility settings and enable automatic pickups!

there was no way i was going to manually click triangle (or whatever the button is) on everything, after doing it for the first game

Holy poo poo, thank you. This is amazing.

Just getting started. Performance isn't as good as I'd like. The game still needs to be optimized some, but not unplayable. Running 11700k with RTX 3070 @ 1440p, managed to get a stable 60 fps with dynamic resolution scaling and fiddling with the graphics settings. Well mostly stable. I'm at a part at the very beginning where the fps drops from 60 to 40 whenever I look directly at a waterfall. Oh well, game looks incredible though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I wonder if this game will run well on a steam deck. I'd consider double dipping to play it on my deck, the game is fun enough.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
yeah i would recommend UH either for NG+, or, if you wanna do it in a fresh playhtrough, after you have a done a sub-UH playhtrough, imo one of those things that is better if youre not going in blind, having all the mechanics and synergies down and calibrated. i played my first on normal, play UH now, but i would probably have picked VH if i was playing for the first time today in hindsight.

exquisite tea posted:

The problem with starting out on Ultra isn't so much increased machine health (it's only ~35% or so more over VH IIRC) but their much higher innate elemental resistances, having a lot more elemental types in general, and HP bars being disabled by default. So it's the combination of it being much harder to inflict vulnerabilities while also not really knowing how effective your attacks actually are. It's technically doable and perhaps easier to even the odds once you have access to better gear but I wouldn't say it's the "tough but fair" experience of Ultra in Zero Dawn. Very Hard is more of that sweet spot of difficulty/fairness for me.

Unlike Zero Dawn however, you can totally set a custom difficulty to your exact specifications of machine and player health/damage, so there's always that option!
another big thing is the increased tear thresholds of components and increased pace when fighting multiple machines (machines take less turns attacking).

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Taima posted:

I got it on PS5 but the graphics weren't doin' it for me.

Oh FFS.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Does anyone know how to fix the deadzone on PC? I'm using a PS5 controller. The mouse controls are fine/normal. The controller camera movement is unusable; it barely moves, as if there is a huge deadzone, then snaps into a high-rate mode when the right stick moves past a certain threshold. I can't find anything relevant in settings, other than deadzone, which is at 0.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You can still see elemental weaknesses with the focus in UH can't you?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

exquisite tea posted:

There's still a ton of poo poo to pick up but now you can just send everything to your stash without worrying about going over. So there's no reason not to just hoard everything you see.

oh thank god

i was a little apprehensive about people saying that HFW significantly overhauled combat but going through the list in your last post it mostly sounds like genuine improvements

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

oh thank god

i was a little apprehensive about people saying the HFW significantly overhauled combat but going through the list in your last post it mostly sounds like genuine improvements

Biggest thing is there's just a ton more variety. In HZD every grade of weapon was an upgrade because it added a new ammo type without replacing the old one. Now there's multiple Best in Slot weapons depending on what elements you want to chase after, AND they have to be manually updated via crafting. If you're a completionist who must upgrade everything, you'll want to turn the difficulty down to story and select the option that every machine drops everything every time because farming suuuuuuuuuuucks in HFW.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i mean in HZD the only thing i got sick of was trying to get perfect triple mods, i actually enjoy having to hunt certain machines for certain parts, because machine hunting is far and away the best part of the game and having any flimsy extrinsic reminder to do it more often is fine with me

i guess i'll see how it goes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HFW adds a little MH flair in that you actually have to shoot off certain components from the machines to later use them in crafting. If you kill them without stripping the parts first, then they won't drop. There is a toggle for this though (easy loot) if you don't want to bother. The randomized coils are also gone -- you can find decent mods out in the wild but the best ones can simply be bought in town, and there are a limited number of each.

For these reasons, the precision of a Hunter Bow with Component Damage or Tear % mods is superior to Tearblast arrows when it comes to stripping specific components.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is it at least possible to play through on Ultra or is it one of those settings where the weakest enemies take 10 minutes to kill unless you already have maxed out weapons on NG+? Ultra offered a decent challenge in the first game but I'll stick with Very Hard if they've done that this time around.

i did my first (PS) playthrough on UH after having played through HZD without much issue iirc (maybe i misremembered and did it on VH but idk) and it was fine

you run into resource scarcity issues moreso than difficult scaling issues--horizon's combat system is less about pure DPS than it is having the right tool on hand--so you'll need to farm more. it makes the game slower and grindier in that sense, but individual encounters aren't screwed by lack of endgame gear

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
150gb? jesus gently caress, i'll have to delete like all four of the games i have room for on my ssd to make space for it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The actual install size is closer to ~100GB.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

exquisite tea posted:

The actual install size is closer to ~100GB.

Good to know, ty

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

HFW adds a little MH flair in that you actually have to shoot off certain components from the machines to later use them in crafting. If you kill them without stripping the parts first, then they won't drop. There is a toggle for this though (easy loot) if you don't want to bother. The randomized coils are also gone -- you can find decent mods out in the wild but the best ones can simply be bought in town, and there are a limited number of each.

For these reasons, the precision of a Hunter Bow with Component Damage or Tear % mods is superior to Tearblast arrows when it comes to stripping specific components.

just wait when the new people are gonna have to farm sacs haha.
I will say that a good Shredder gauntlet will trivialize alot of component farming if you are playing without easyloot. yeah the best coils are bought or rewarded from quests (usually looted from quest bosses).. there are a selection of coils that can drop from wild machines or semi-random from chests but the best and most versatile coils you buy/get rewarded from quests. Same goes for weaves (coils but for outfits), its mostly elemental/damage resistance weaves that can be found in the wild, but the good skill weaves you get mostly from upgrading outfits.

Here is something for beginners:
Get used to slide-dodging early. The long dodge from HZD is gone, so sliding or slide+ roll is the alternative in HFW that offers the most i-frames for some of the more wide-ranging attacks. only dodge-rolling often doesnt cut it.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 22, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

is there any way to put the weapon wheel ammo crafting back on LMB where it belongs

also you currently can't bind tab to weapon wheel (the menu will let you, but when you actually press tab it just opens the map) but i assume that's an outright bug and not just a poor design decision

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

shredder gauntlet is the most fun weapon when you get it down IMO, it's also crazy strong with elements.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
for sure, it has replaced the hunter bow as my main/workhorse weapon. most fun weapon, dynamic like throwing frisbee. cheap ammo, and does alot of things at once: tear, damage and in the case of elemental shredders also good shock or acid build-up. nothing like controlling the battlefield with shock shredders. elemental shredders especially have quite a wide area of effect for the tearing action. thats what trivializes component farming, it will turn machines into pinatas. Also strips alot of armor in the process.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 22, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
"All my gear was lost because of something something and also I forgot how to whistle"

Too bad, I abused the hell out of that in HZD. Whistling was too powerful and had to be removed for balance reasons.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i did my first (PS) playthrough on UH after having played through HZD without much issue iirc (maybe i misremembered and did it on VH but idk) and it was fine

you run into resource scarcity issues moreso than difficult scaling issues--horizon's combat system is less about pure DPS than it is having the right tool on hand--so you'll need to farm more. it makes the game slower and grindier in that sense, but individual encounters aren't screwed by lack of endgame gear

ok lol no that was definitely VH, and UH was something they introduced with the DLC?

started on UH and came to the "no, this is decidedly the NG+ difficulty" conclusion after giving up defeating the three or so scrappers outside chainscrape where you meet orin again. there's "very hard" and "almost all attacks will one-shot you, you _must_ be able to dispatch enemies efficiently as hell to have any chance at an encounter" hard that doesn't really work with the most basic-rear end kit. it's _doable_ but you'd have to grind the hell out of it

that said, the opening slitherfang fight was fun as hell with nothing but 20 basic hunter arrows (the "you should use this, it's weak to it!" basic frost blastsling does fuckall at UH enemy element resistances), a couple potions, and some berries. it's the FromSoft version of Horizon! you either learn the thing's patterns and focus entirely on dodging and finding openings to shoot off the doodads, because it's not gonna die otherwise, and it will oneshot you if you give it an opening

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

shredder gauntlet is the most fun weapon when you get it down IMO, it's also crazy strong with elements.

Specifically, the reason why elemental shredders are so good is that they essentially triple dip from any normal damage mod. So for example, slotting in a 15% Damage Over Time coil will give your shredder 15% more elemental buildup, 15% more damage, AND 15% more tear. Ancestor's Legacy is a good endgame legendary to shoot for because it has both lightning and acid damage and only requires you to finish all the ancient ruin puzzles.

Played through the prologue. Able to hit ~75fps on High with a 5600x + RTX 3080 at 1440p. The opening area is also fairly reflective of what a high load environment resembles throughout the main game so I'm optimistic that performance remains solid throughout. I also turned up a few extra settings like Anisotropic Filtering to 16x. My initial thoughts as it compares to the PS5 version are that the textures are a lot cleaner, and the Dynamic Resolution scaling is rather aggressive to hit that 60fps threshold. I'll be waiting for the nerds at Digital Foundry to tell me what dials I should be turning. The game looks amazing, but we already knew that. Definitely a much more solid port than HZD at launch.

Is there a way to turn down the brightness in-game at all? I don't have HDR settings enabled on my monitor, but the picture seems just a tinge too bright.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Does anyone know how to fix the deadzone on PC? I'm using a PS5 controller. The mouse controls are fine/normal. The controller camera movement is unusable; it barely moves, as if there is a huge deadzone, then snaps into a high-rate mode when the right stick moves past a certain threshold. I can't find anything relevant in settings, other than deadzone, which is at 0.

Fixed by disabling Steam input. This also enables the adaptive triggers; v cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm getting weird frame-time issues right at the start. Googling around I find that this is an issue "in the intro" and I was wondering if that means just the opening cutscene or also the opening tutorial area?