Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's interesting. I still don't get the Fremen motivation to go anywhere beyond their planet. They want to rule the planet on their own, not have foreigners come and steal the spice, and create an abundance of water. Getting into spaceships (which they don't know how to operate) to fight people on other planets doesn't fit this narrative. If that's even what's happening at the end of the movie -- it looked to me like that's what they were doing.

If we want to apply book logic the Fremen have been oppressed by the Imperium, not just by the Harkonnens, for literally thousands of years. Here comes a Messiah figure to set them free - they will seek their retribution with holy certainty that god is on their side whether or not Muad'dib lives to be coronated.

As far as "they don't know how to operate the ships," well, there's another reason the movie should have kept the Guild in the storyline, because "either you let me and my fellow jihadists onto the Heighliner or no more spice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the absence of the Guild is the only genuine mistake of the adaptation imo.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm actually glad our theater had normal sound. In the past 5 years or so it happened a couple of times to me and friends my age (in their 40's) that the movie is so loud we tried to make earplugs with pieces of paper tissues. :corsair:
Noise level shouldn't be a problem. They managed to mix it perfectly so that you only get fully blasted by the bass, which isn't a problem for hearing. There weren't any parts where it felt uncomfortably loud.

IMAX or Dolby is really worth it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah the absence of the Guild is the only genuine mistake of the adaptation imo.

With how abruptly it ends with the holy war starting, I have a feeling Villeneuve's intent is to have Dune Messiah pick up immediately where this ended like how this movie did with part 1. And with the Fremen going off into space the guild will become a mich bigger part of the movie's story

Dune Messiah is so short, I do wonder if they would attempt to do Messiah and Children as one movie like the sci-fi mini series

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Something I'm finding real interesting on reflection is how the final confrontation between Paul and the Emperor and Feyd contrast in setting in the movie and the book. Like in the book (and other adaptations) it's pretty much all there in the Emperor's portable throne room, while in DUNC 2 they have some of it there and then move to smaller quarters where everyone's packed in pretty tight. But despite being in this grander place in other versions, made for pronouncements and major doings, you'd still get some more private moments as people drew aside to talk. Like Paul and Jessica reassuring Chani. In DUNC putting everything of that confrontation in a smaller space makes it... not intimate, but instead claustrophobic. You can't have those more private moments, everyone's packed in too close in what is ostensibly a more private place for quieter events. Too many ears to listen, right up against you.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah it feels like DV is designing each part to be a greater revalation of antagonist , i.e. Harkonnen>Emperor>Guild , which ties nicely into Messiah. From internecine rivalry to the Empire to the systems undergirding the mechanism of imperialism itself.

But I fully agree there should have been some more sprinkling of the Guild into part 2. Maybe in the Directors Cut that DV swears he will not do but maybe someday when the full trilogy is on BluRay... Allow me my dreams.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it feels like DV is designing each part to be a greater revalation of antagonist , i.e. Harkonnen>Emperor>Guild , which ties nicely into Messiah. From internecine rivalry to the Empire to the systems undergirding the mechanism of imperialism itself.

But I fully agree there should have been some more sprinkling of the Guild into part 2. Maybe in the Directors Cut that DV swears he will not do but maybe someday when the full trilogy is on BluRay... Allow me my dreams.

Dune '84 actually does this pretty well with basically two short scenes - one with the navigator popping in to tell the Emperor what's going on / that spice production is potentially threatened, and a second where the guild representatives show up and say "sort this out now or we're throwing your rear end in the torment nexus."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don’t think it’s impossible for DV to make this work in part 3. The guild stuff is neat but i trust DV with what he’s adapted.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Dune '84 actually does this pretty well with basically two short scenes - one with the navigator popping in to tell the Emperor what's going on / that spice production is potentially threatened, and a second where the guild representatives show up and say "sort this out now or we're throwing your rear end in the torment nexus."

That entire opening scene is insanely loving good, regardless of what people think of the rest of the movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They pulled it off the Criterion Channel just to spite me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

They pulled it off the Criterion Channel just to spite me.

This fan edit of Lynch Dune is the definitive version of the movie imo, if you look online you can download it in higher quality than YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHQA_0d9Mo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

This fan edit of Lynch Dune is the definitive version of the movie imo, if you look online you can download it in higher quality than YouTube:

Hmmm, I might give that a watch, but I've never seen Lynch Dune, or any Lynch for that matter and kind of wanted to see the theatrical release first so I'm not biased against what I can only assume is some monumental studio meddling.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, the 84 version opening seemed a little heavy handed with exposition

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

What changes/edits does it make?

I kinda think the emperor in 84 comes off as a bit of a doofus tbh.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

same but he is a bit of a doofus in the book too

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

kalel posted:

same but he is a bit of a doofus in the book too

Oh yeah by the time we meet him he's basically just a figurehead propped up to prevent the civil war everyone knows is coming anyway. Like Japan at several moments just before another Era started

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

banned from Starbucks posted:

What changes/edits does it make?

It's 3 hours long, adding in most of the stuff from the Alan Smithee cut that was put together for TV, and also includes every deleted scene that's present in the original text of the book. I agree with NeoRasa about it being as close to "definitive" a version as we'll ever get.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Halloween Jack posted:

Apologies if this has been posted, but regarding the aesthetics of Giedi Prime:

So the Harkonnen aesthetic is about conveying a society that's rigidly authoritarian, conformist, puritanical, fascist, with no guiding ethos beyond pure power and decadent wealth at the very top. On Giedi Prime we need infrared power.

The trend of depicting the Harkonnens as fascist is kinda odd, there's really nothing fascist about them at all. I guess it's just a thing in American culture, if you want to highlight that someone is the bad guy, have them evoke the bad guys we defeated in WWII, the Good War.

Part of it was probably about trying to draw a strong contrast with everyone else without leaning as much into the Baron's hedonist gay pedophile stuff. So instead they're more explicitly all about power in all its forms (starting with the oil bath in DUNC 1), and Feyd ends up the only Harkonnen with anything sexual going on.

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024
What Denis was missing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvantum posted:

It's 3 hours long, adding in most of the stuff from the Alan Smithee cut that was put together for TV, and also includes every deleted scene that's present in the original text of the book. I agree with NeoRasa about it being as close to "definitive" a version as we'll ever get.

Basically this. It's got just about everything from the Smithee version plus more/newly handled that's not in it the Smithee cut. But also unlike the Smithee version a lot of care was put into how it was edited instead of just slapping every scene together in order.

Man even as someone that enjoyed this overall, they really did make some decisions with some of the factions lmao

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm actually glad our theater had normal sound. In the past 5 years or so it happened a couple of times to me and friends my age (in their 40's) that the movie is so loud we tried to make earplugs with pieces of paper tissues. :corsair:
I've been bringing earplugs to the movies for like 15 years now, and I'm still in my 30's. Very few regrets.

kalel posted:

given how the film contextualizes their relationship, I think that would be pretty tone deaf from paul if he said "I will rule over the empire" and then turned around and said to chani "hey remember how I promised I wouldn't become the ruler of the empire? yeah don't worry, I don't actually love irulan"

the pre-fight callback to the earlier line "I will love you as long as I breathe" is the closest the film comes to this idea in dialogue, and it's framed almost as an impotent apology.
I guess it works for this film, I'm just curious how Villanueve is gonna have Messiah make sense. I'm open to seeing what he cooks up though, since I do like how he's handled the franchise so far.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

I guess it works for this film, I'm just curious how Villanueve is gonna have Messiah make sense. I'm open to seeing what he cooks up though, since I do like how he's handled the franchise so far.

Part of why I'm so hype for Messiah now isn't just because I loved Dune part 2, but because of the changes made there and further agency given to Chani and how they leave off at the end, the ground is set to go in some very different directions from the book while still covering the same themes and overall plot.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It would be really funny if the dune trilogy ends up being the "Star Wars" of this generation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The culture isn't ready for Bijaz discourse

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GoodluckJonathan posted:

It would be really funny if the dune trilogy ends up being the "Star Wars" of this generation.

I wish expertly-crafted fantasy/sci-fi epic trilogies were made more than once every two decades

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

what in tarnation

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Those guys are just stooges. The real Guild Navigators are swimming around in their hats, telling them what to say.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Paul suddenly becoming the most popular boy's name in 2035

Couples Halloween costume where one dresses exactly like the other but with metallic contacts

Walk Without Rhythm replacing May the Force Be With You

Turbo nerds naming their kid Hasimir

The Tleilaxu Clone Factory playset becoming this generation's Droid Factory playset with all the little droid ghola figurines

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Five different Disney+ spinoff shows based on the prequel novels :negative:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

kalel posted:

I wish expertly-crafted fantasy/sci-fi epic trilogies were made more than once every two decades

It has been 50 years since star wars

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dune is the modern day Avengers Infinity War

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ram dass in hell posted:

It has been 50 years since star wars

Friend, you forget the Lord of the Rings.
Which is, what, ten years old? Lemme google that.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I bet there has already been a surge in kids named "Atriedes"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Somewhere out there is a family with a daughter named Kaleesi and a son named Atreides.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I bet there has already been a surge in kids named "Atriedes"

Lots of Baby Duncan's and Dunc's , both genders

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GoodluckJonathan posted:

the first two dune movies combined have made about as much money as the least popular star wars, rise of skywalker. the original star wars sold 178 million tickets in the united states alone, dune 2 is literally not going to get to 20% of that. There's no star wars of this or any subsequent generation, even Avatar sold about half as many tickets. No one is going to be buying Dune toys and celebrating a Dune holiday and watching Dune cartoons and wringing their hands over who will replace the voice actor for Leto II in 40 years

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

No one is going to be buying Dune toys and celebrating a Dune holiday and watching Dune cartoons and wringing their hands over who will replace the voice actor for Leto II in 40 years

I will

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The reason no one is buying the dune toys is bc they’re kinda crappy. McFarlane makes them

If they were better I might’ve snagged one

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They probably sold billions of the popcorn bucket

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

the first two dune movies combined have made about as much money as the least popular star wars, rise of skywalker. the original star wars sold 178 million tickets in the united states alone, dune 2 is literally not going to get to 20% of that. There's no star wars of this or any subsequent generation, even Avatar sold about half as many tickets. No one is going to be buying Dune toys and celebrating a Dune holiday and watching Dune cartoons and wringing their hands over who will replace the voice actor for Leto II in 40 years

I'm imagining more of a slow burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I'm imagining more of a slow burn.

Our plans are measured in centuries