Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Vernacular posted:

and the woman on the green tribe taking a little too much pleasure out of her fake advantage wild goose chase.

That's a really good point. It was a good idea to make sure nobody could find the note in her bag but she was so excited about the ploy she got sloppy. Bad placement, too much smirking, and she should have tried harder to dig under the tree with everybody else. I'm glad they clocked the reality of the situation, but I'm very surprised she didn't ping anybody.

And Charlie looks and acts too much like Spencer Reiman Bledsoe, it's weirding me out.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Jem's gloating didn't bother me too much. If we're going to have "villains" in the modern era, I'd rather it be this kind of troll behavior than a straight up rear end in a top hat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like that was the inevitable result of the move though. It makes sense to rehide the thing. But like how do you think it’s gonna play out? It’s not a fake idol so if someone finds out it’s just gonna result in them going mad digging for something that doesn’t exist.

I think the situation was made a bit worse by them all searching together. But like I also think this is all another fallout of the tribe dynamics and the team that has suffered zero hardship being left to do nothing but invent scheming.

Like the yellow tribe hasn’t been to a tribal and they’ve already had like 3 or 4 alliance betrayals drama in their inner thoughts. They’re all low key losing their minds waiting for the game to start.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

So I guess if I blame anyone/anything maybe it’s the whole thing where they take away their flint. That’s just more misery and stress on top of a situation that has enough.

Also I like Bhanu. I think he was a perfectly fine casting. It was just a miserable time watching him get broken down week after week with zero hope. Not good tv.
yeah you can blame production for that I think. Like, the small tribes are super played out but also their tribe should’ve got ten good fish but still had no flint because they actively punish the losers. Before that they were the one tribe without a tarp and there’s been rainstorms.

Also Jess was worse than you’re saying I think, she was sleep deprived but she also was bringing nothing to conversations going back to day 1-2 before that would’ve really set in. Everyone was already saying you couldn’t talk to her.

Bhanu, yeah maybe the losing and the group he was with broke him a bit but I also think production probably liked this and thought it was gold, hence the amount of space in the edit he got. Fans swooning over Carolyn when she was at her most dysfunctional probably encouraged them

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ultimately I think the problem is that modern Survivor is built so that there’s like a million micro stresses. No flint, shot in the dark, beware advantages, three tribes, nonnegotiable “journies” where you’re just gonna get screwed. It’s all designed to toss in stresses that can disrupt the game and create good tv. But when those things start adding up on the same tribe or player you just get a miserable time that feels on some level manipulated by production.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I know everyone loves Australian Survivor, I admit myself as well, but a lot can be said about why everyone likes it. It's back to basics Survivor without all these other weird advantages/disadvantages in play that can be annoying to keep track of and just bogs down the whole thing, along with a longer time on the island to get to know each other, makes for way more entertaining TV rather than people that come on the US version who have a game they want to play, and will do it hardcore, rather than developing into what they want to do cause the time is so short for them.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Teek posted:

I have to think it's because a 9 player tribe going through a potential Pagonging for 5 straight episodes is worse than a 6 player tribe going through it for potentially 3 episodes?

Personally I disagree; at least with 9 players there's more question about who's going home, and a five person majority is a lot harder to hold together. With 6 players, sometimes you get a switch up like Sabiyah overplaying in 45, but more often you get what happened here; the 3-person majority is decided as soon as the first person leaves, and then it's just a forgone conclusion who the next few out the door are.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh also Jeff takes the flint away because he's trying to compensate for the game being 3 weeks long now so he can still say it's hard, so it's like one bad thing compounding into another.

I know people that don't watch Australian Survivor are tired of hearing about it but it's really whiplash to go from one of the best seasons of all time to the worst opening series of episodes of all time.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 21, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Oh also Jeff takes the flint away because he's trying to compensate for the game being 3 weeks long now so he can still say it's hard, so it's like one bad thing compounding into another.

Exactly. Hai said that they never even bothered trying to make fire because it simply didn't matter.

My main issue is how Jeff is now focused on casting players who are inspiring. I don't want to be inspired, I want to be entertained. They are not the same thing, and not everybody on the show is inspiring, despite the segments showing clips from their home life. There has been some great casting lately, but the game isn't as entertaining to watch.

I actually didn't mind Bhanu, I thought his constant blunders were kind of funny. The issue is with the "new era." They should focus on trying to recreate the success of seasons like Millennials v Gen X, or David v Goliath, and stop doing what they're currently doing.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm honestly wondering now that since Australian Survivor was on Paramount + until semi-recently that if Jeff didn't lose his poo poo about how everyone likes it and they took it off for that reason.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I think this seasons really funny

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think this cast has a lot of potential now that Bhanu is gone so I don't have to skip half the episode.

I normally hate the sob stories and whatnot but I really enjoyed Tevin's bit with the fish.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I know people that don't watch Australian Survivor are tired of hearing about it but it's really whiplash to go from one of the best seasons of all time to the worst opening series of episodes of all time.

Which is the one you’re considering one of the best?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The 2024 all newbie one that just completed airing, Titans vs Rebels. The returnee season that just preceded it, the Australian Heroes vs Villains, was also an all-time season so they're on a serious hot streak. Both are top ten ever including all franchises in many peoples opinion (including mine). HvV was kind of an unofficial successor to another all newbie Australian season, Brains vs brawn, another great season too. Mostly safe to ignore the blood vs water season wedged in the middle of these four seasons, though

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 21, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IcePhoenix posted:

I think this cast has a lot of potential now that Bhanu is gone so I don't have to skip half the episode.

I normally hate the sob stories and whatnot but I really enjoyed Tevin's bit with the fish.

Agreed. That segment about his dad was really powerful.

As for fire, Maryanne made the very valid point on RHAP last night that it's a serious morale issue. I know it seems soft but I don't think it should be underestimated. It's warmth. It's action. It's island TV.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

STING 64 posted:

I'm coming around on it just because the reactions to it here are funny

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Bhanu probably seemed like a home run for casting on paper. He seemed like a nice guy at first, he had a lot of survival skills, and he had a pretty relatable story about coming from poverty and making something of himself.

It just seems like the stress of the game drove him completely bonkers in some way they didn't see during the casting process.

I also think this has been a pretty crap season so far. I watch it on Thursdays and have been fast forwarding through a ton, just feels like there's a lot of time spent on a tribe of losers who are also kind of jerks to each other. Makes it a hard watch. That said, a guy getting medevac'd and the loser tribe all celebrating it (with Bhanu calling it a miracle) is honestly really funny in a dark way.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
seriously can't give enough love to the editors in last night's ep though.

Denial: "I'm not going home, because I'm going to find the idol!"
Anger: "Where is that DAMNED IDOL?!"
Bargaining: "TIFF HELP ME PLEASE TIFF HELP ME"
Depression: "Only nine days. Why even send me out here"
Acceptance: [laying prone in the sand]

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

They probably don't do two tribes because of 26 days. They want an equal gender representation on each tribe, but 2 tribes requires an even number of castaways for that. 20 is likely way too much for their runtime, but 16 is likely too few for the number of episodes they want, including the finale starting at F5. Thus, three tribes.

This is not a defense, but a reasoning!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

STING 64 posted:

This season is extremely funny. I could've gone with one less Bhanu episode but like, god decided to shoot Randon in the arm, who am I to judge.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You've already got 90 minute episodes so just expand each tribe to 8 and have only one tribe win immunity each week.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Rob C's prevailing theory on 3 tribes is that they are really careful about certain tribe dynamics, make everyone sleep head-to-toe, and that they probably don't want to have too many people crammed together in a small shelter, and that all of this is a result of what happened during season 39.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Poque posted:

You've already got 90 minute episodes so just expand each tribe to 8 and have only one tribe win immunity each week.

I honestly think a big issue with how this season is turning into a TV product is a combination of what actually happened in the game (one tribe losing repeatedly for four episodes) and the fact that they didn't know they were making 90 minute episodes of TV, so they didn't cram in extra stuff to show us. The result is 45 minutes of Bhanu a week.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

I honestly think a big issue with how this season is turning into a TV product is a combination of what actually happened in the game (one tribe losing repeatedly for four episodes) and the fact that they didn't know they were making 90 minute episodes of TV, so they didn't cram in extra stuff to show us. The result is 45 minutes of Bhanu a week.

it's probably made worse with 45 also being a single tribe's decimation. Like, 41, 44, 45 all had one pre-merge tribe that was noticeably blown up, but 41 and 44 were at least more balanced. Ua imploded in 41, but Yase also lost two people (and looked like the losing tribe at first when they voted out that guy that looks like Ben Shapiro). By episode 4 of 44, Immunity Losses were as balanced as they could be (2,1,1), though Bruce's concussion gave Tika lower numbers (5,5,3).

Meanwhile, Yanu just loves losing and cannot stop lmao.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I’m not sure what’s more desperate and pathetic: Bhanu’s entire Survivor career or the attempts to have Taylor Swift tweet about the show. Seriously, the guy that jumped off the platform yelling “I LOVE TAYLOR SWIFT” has to be a plant.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Taylor Swift doesn't have time to watch TV. She doesn't even watch her boyfriend on TV, just goes to games and calls security to make Kanye go away.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

blue squares posted:

Which is the one you’re considering one of the best?

As far as Australian Survivor goes, Titans Vs Rebels just ended airing this week and was a really good season of Survivor. Likewise last year's Heroes Vs Villains season (12 returnees & 12 new players made the cast) was also a really good season.

I personally didn't mind Blood Vs Water and it's at least worth watching. Also funny intro as the season had Sandra and her daughter Nina and they had them fly in on a helicopter, by themselves.

The longer (47 days) seasons and less advantages and idols in play make the cast actually work and have alliances and relationships to get far in the game. They are actually able to play the game of Survivor.

I don't think there's a single thing that US Survivor is doing currently that is up to the level of Australian Survivor (except MAYBE if you don't want to watch 24 episodes...)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think there's a single thing that US Survivor is doing currently that is up to the level of Australian Survivor (except MAYBE if you don't want to watch 24 episodes...)

Diversity Initiative stays winning

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So Karla (from 43) has said the area where most of Sagi was digging for the planted Beware advantage was an area where her tribe would go to poop.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

So Karla (from 43) has said the area where most of Sagi was digging for the planted Beware advantage was an area where her tribe would go to poop.

I'm crying. Brilliant.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Hey the seventh episode of the season is named Episode Several

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

obliriovrons posted:

Can't wait for next season, Survivor Fortyseveral

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

obliriovrons posted:

i love this show

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what the gently caress was that jumping business?

weird loving show. i've watched S3 + S4 of Survivor Au so far and yeah its a lot better, starting S5 and dear god RUSSELL ?????

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Whether it's 2 teams of 9 or 3 teams of 6 doesn't matter to me so much as long as they reshuffle everybody into 2 or 3 tribes (respectively) before the merge. We really do need more mutual exposure and opportunity for relationship building amongst players regardless of whether one tribe is getting pagonged out of existence.

At this rate I suspect they'll just skip the tribe swap and go straight to the merge after an episode or two. I hope I'm wrong though.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

CODChimera posted:

what the gently caress was that jumping business?

They thought it was going to be a jumping challenge, and homegirl didn't know how to jump, so they taught her how to jump, but she still didn't know how to jump, but in the end there was very little jumping.
(They said "jump" a lot)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think it was just there to show us the tribe actively bonding

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Her jump in the challenge was good :3:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

practice works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm two episodes behind but what do y'all mean "she doesn't know how to jump"? Like the act of standing up too much so that you are off the ground for a second, or like a proper specific jump like long jumping?