Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nice Van My Man posted:

I just picked up Dragon's Dogma in the Steam sale. Hopefully it doesn't languish in my unplayed pile, it always sounds cool.

It's bad. Just skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You want a difficult boss you play the first boss in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Game Gear but no you want to discuss which of the easy bosses for babies is the hardest.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

I just picked up Dragon's Dogma in the Steam sale. Hopefully it doesn't languish in my unplayed pile, it always sounds cool.

Very cool game that leans hard into being a fantasy world simulator over "quality of life" style stuff, sometimes to its detriment. Like, when you go out at night it's actually dark and substantially more dangerous than traveling during the day [cool!]. It lets you miss content which makes playing it feel a lot more consequential buuuut it goes a bit hard here, like you can miss a huge sidequest and get permanently locked out of a significant portion of the map by following the main story for half an hour after starting the game [hmm]. A large portion of the game's cooler/more exotic monsters and gear are virtually/entirely exclusive to the postgame/expansion dungeons [bad].

It's pretty flawed in a lot of ways but it also does some great stuff really well and there's nothing else quite like it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
it's a huge bummer that they removed the original opening song from later releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Moon Monster posted:

Very cool game that leans hard into being a fantasy world simulator over "quality of life" style stuff, sometimes to its detriment. Like, when you go out at night it's actually dark and substantially more dangerous than traveling during the day [cool!]. It lets you miss content which makes playing it feel a lot more consequential buuuut it goes a bit hard here, like you can miss a huge sidequest and get permanently locked out of a significant portion of the map by following the main story for half an hour after starting the game [hmm]. A large portion of the game's cooler/more exotic monsters and gear are virtually/entirely exclusive to the postgame/expansion dungeons [bad].

It's pretty flawed in a lot of ways but it also does some great stuff really well and there's nothing else quite like it.

It's the sort of game to watch a LP of but not to play.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Moon Monster posted:

whats the story with the sidequest?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

it's a huge bummer that they removed the original opening song from later releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

If you play on PC you can mod it back in. I think they're working on a similar mod for DD2, if it's not up by end of today something has gone wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

oh I figured it was Sister Freide cuz she brutalized me for a good chunk of this morning.

Sister Freide was the hardest boss for me in the entire series.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m super mad Dragons Dogma 2 isn’t on the PS4 despite the fact it could obviously run on it. Like hell I’m upgrading my toaster laptop or buying a “next gen” system for one game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

sebmojo posted:

whats the story with the sidequest?

So you start in a town by the coast, the dragon appears and makes you an arisen, and default love interest A mentions she's heading to the witch's woods to get a potion or something idk. The game directs you to head to the main city where the Wyrmhunt were declared, this seems like the obvious thing you should do since a lot of major game features aren't even unlocked yet and it's railroading you somewhat insistently. But! if you go to the main city before the witch's swamp you'll miss love interest A's sidequest which happens to be the only way to unlock the swamp area. There's also this one hill with a bunch of out of depth enemies between you and the swamp. You can just run past them easily, but it feels like the game is trying to tell you you're too low level to go that way.

There's a similar thing with default love interest B where if you don't take some pretty specific steps she won't get locked in a seaside keep and you'll never be able to access the keep, which is a pretty significant dungeon.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's the sort of game to watch a LP of but not to play.

The gameplay is good, I feel like it would be pretty boring to watch since most of the fun comes from playing around in the world/with the systems rather than amazing story beats or whatever (although it can have a few).

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

You want a difficult boss you play the first boss in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Game Gear

this game was so insanely difficult, especially compared to the genesis version

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Sister Freide was the hardest boss for me in the entire series.

Same. Wish I could say it was because it was a well-designed encounter, because it is, except for phase two. Fromsoft need to accept that wildly flailing gigantic camera obscuring monsters is not their strong suit and knock it off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

All of the expansion bosses in 3 have massive hp inflation for no good reason and it makes them a lot harder than they should be. I found the first boss of the Ringed City expansion the most difficult because they just have so much hp.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

holy poo poo there's a new Alone in the Dark

oh wait they want me to pay 60 bucks for it and already have 5 pieces of DLC. For a game that released yesterday but looks like it came out in 2010.

:thumbsup: game devs. At least it doesn't appear to be a live service game.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Just watched the trailer and that wild spooky sax is really pulling me in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

holy poo poo there's a new Alone in the Dark

oh wait they want me to pay 60 bucks for it and already have 5 pieces of DLC. For a game that released yesterday but looks like it came out in 2010.

:thumbsup: game devs. At least it doesn't appear to be a live service game.

There's a demo, which is very short and kind of terrible, and the reviews for the full game are not positive. A rare swing and a miss for the franchise unfortunately

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has Alone in the Dark ever been good? It feels like it rears its head every 5 or 10 years and everyone takes the opportunity to talk about how terrible it is. It's like the Bubsy of survival horror.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It was good when it got ripped off and turned into Resident Evil.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Alone in the Dark 3 was pretty good back in the day but that was the only one. But it was only good relative to the other adventure games of its era, which were often pretty bad

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I'm not going to go through 2000+ pages to check if anyone said this, but Fallout: New Vegas is still the best Fallout game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallout 3 is the only one Ive ever finished and the only one I will ever finish.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Technowrite posted:

I'm not going to go through 2000+ pages to check if anyone said this, but Fallout: New Vegas is still the best Fallout game.

Too many words, not enough exploding heads imo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Technowrite posted:

Extremely low bar, and not even an unpopular opinion, try again Technowrite

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallout Tactics was super fun but I was playing it on a computer with windows ME installed and eventually the computer could not run it anymore so I had to live with just playing red faction multiplayer, which to be fair, was the greatest deathmatch of all time.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Fallout 2 was the poo poo. Don't @ me motherfucker

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Broke: Playing Dragon's Dogma
Woke: Playing Dragon's Crown

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The fact that Dragon's Crown was never put on Steam is a crime.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

we and I be glad to @ ya

I hated myron so much that I kicked him out of my party at Golgotha and blew his brains out

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
fallout tactics was really really good

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vakal posted:

The fact that Dragon's Crown was never put on Steam is a crime.

literally shaking about big titty witches

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dragon's Dogma 2 landing with a wet thud over at Steam, mostly negative reviews already. Microtransactions in a single player game, poor optimization, and apparently no way to start a new game? Which is kinda weird if true.

I wish I could find out how many people leaving negative reviews pre-ordered the game, and how many times they've done the exact same thing with other games.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Literally A Person posted:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MSPain posted:

this game was so insanely difficult, especially compared to the genesis version

Yeah if you want a difficult boss from Sonic on Genesis you're looking at the third one. Well okay it might not qualify as a boss. Barrel.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 22, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dragon's Dogma 2 landing with a wet thud over at Steam, mostly negative reviews already. Microtransactions in a single player game, poor optimization, and apparently no way to start a new game? Which is kinda weird if true.

I wish I could find out how many people leaving negative reviews pre-ordered the game, and how many times they've done the exact same thing with other games.

Reckon most people writing anything this soon after launch are just buying it to protest mtx and/or reported bad performance and refunding.

Edit: yeah all these reviews are people lashing out on principle or cheering the game based on excitement. Dumpster all 3000 of these lol

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 22, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Since im recovering from a surgery and have only onw arm, i've been getting back into rtses like supcom and call to arms gates of hell.

To save rtses you either need direct control mode "for wode appeal" or to bring back turtling to capture that comfy gamer audience.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Reckon most people writing anything this soon after launch are just buying it to protest mtx and/or reported bad performance and refunding.

Edit: yeah all these reviews are people lashing out on principle or cheering the game based on excitement. Dumpster all 3000 of these lol

Honestly they deserve bad reviews for their russian malware "anti cheat" they keep adding to their games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

haddedam posted:

Honestly they deserve bad reviews for their russian malware "anti cheat" they keep adding to their games.

lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i thought microtransactions in a singleplayer game was a joke but apparently dragon's dogma 2 really did that lmao

e: $2 to change your character's appearance hahahahaha

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's horse armor all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

i thought microtransactions in a singleplayer game was a joke but apparently dragon's dogma 2 really did that lmao

e: $2 to change your character's appearance hahahahaha

I thought you were joking but no, you're not, AND IT'S SINGLE USE?! A $2 consumable for appearance change, in a singleplayer game holy poo poo lmao