Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I bet Falin is gonna start falling apart in an episode or two. There's gotta be a reason why that resurrection magic is forbidden.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd seen some people on Twitter and such shipping the two but I didn't realize just how not-subtext it was gonna be, yeah.

Like I'm not 100% sure Falin knows it but Marcille's got it bad.

Also part of me was wondering if they were actually ever going to resurrect Falin or if she would just be in flashbacks as some sort of martyr figure for the group, but I am glad that she is back, for now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I bet Falin is gonna start falling apart in an episode or two. There's gotta be a reason why that resurrection magic is forbidden.

I'm opposite. I think the monster meat infused her with some supercharged magic and that'll make her valuable to jerks like the gnome professor or strangers the painting elf who have their own motives in the dungeon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I don't think Ryoko Kui was exactly subtle when it comes to those two, but also I think Marcille and Falin is just also inherently more overt in the anime. Having it voiced and seeing gay panic in motion just leaves less up to interpretation.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think it's somewhat ambiguous what Falin thinks but Marcille is Not Subtle lol

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly my read is the opposite. I think Marcille isn't entirely aware of her feelings for Falin while Falin absolutely is

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Senshi is married to his craft.

Laios will never marry.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
dungeon meshi crazy good

e: dungeon meshi is so loving good dude

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 22, 2024

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
For me this episodes big moment that got me was that huge hug Laois gave Falin at the end. :3:

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Senshi is married to his craft.

Laios will never marry.

Chilchuck is the straight man, and also the straight man

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

It's funny how well that resurrection went at every step compared to the way a darker show might have handled it.

At first I was thinking they'd gently caress up the bones or something (Falin comes back with one Warg leg), then that after that either it wouldn't work or Falin would come back wrong/evil (ok, we know somethings up, but not in a definitive bad way yet). Then when she was having trouble speaking/was confused, I was wondering if the resurrection didn't quite get her all the way back. But no, she's back and feeling fine and even supercharged. The last thing I thought was going to happen was that somehow the Red Dragon was going to be brought back as well - like maybe it was intelligent enough to have a soul captured by the dungeon, and then with the circle left behind somehow somehow it would resurrect both. That's what you get when the episode title is Red Dragon(II) when the titular dragon is already dead.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Gully Foyle posted:

It's funny how well that resurrection went at every step compared to the way a darker show might have handled it.

At first I was thinking they'd gently caress up the bones or something (Falin comes back with one Warg leg), then that after that either it wouldn't work or Falin would come back wrong/evil (ok, we know somethings up, but not in a definitive bad way yet). Then when she was having trouble speaking/was confused, I was wondering if the resurrection didn't quite get her all the way back. But no, she's back and feeling fine and even supercharged. The last thing I thought was going to happen was that somehow the Red Dragon was going to be brought back as well - like maybe it was intelligent enough to have a soul captured by the dungeon, and then with the circle left behind somehow somehow it would resurrect both. That's what you get when the episode title is Red Dragon(II) when the titular dragon is already dead.

oh boy oh boy the fun detail is really easy to miss when Kensuke leaps away from Falin and seconds later Laios admits that the sword reacts to monsters lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just watched the last two ep in succession with my partner and holy hell was that impactful. excited to see where things go from here

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kaleedity posted:

oh boy oh boy the fun detail is really easy to miss when Kensuke leaps away from Falin and seconds later Laios admits that the sword reacts to monsters lmao

Maybe, though she's clearly got his sister's memories, magic, and sensitivity to ghosts. So I don't think she is the Red Dragon just pretending to be her. A fusion of the two seems possible and would be a good potential reason why that magic was banned.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm waiting for the shoe to really drop next episode

I think this episode was lulling everyone into a false sense of security for the real knock out blow coming up

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

VideoWitch posted:

There was actually a bit about that in the manga that didn't make it into the anime

I'm glad you shared this because the whole time they were having that conversation, I was thinking "they killed a dragon, surely there's some part of it they could sell to make some money". Kind of odd that they omitted it because it seems important?

Also didn't they say in a previous episode (I think one of the Namari ones) that another member of the old party also had a crush on or wanted to marry Fallin (Shogo who I'm assuming is the samurai looking dude in the OP and ED because Japanese sounding name)

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 22, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm glad you shared this because the whole time they were having that conversation, I was thinking "they killed a dragon, surely there's some part of it they could sell to make some money". Kind of odd that they omitted it because it seems important?

They left in a little scene of Chilchuck freaking out about Senshi destroying the parts that sell well, but didn't explain it.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Also didn't they say in a previous episode (I think one of the Namari ones) that another member of the old party also had a crush on or wanted to marry Fallin (Shogo who I'm assuming is the samurai looking dude in the OP and ED because Japanese sounding name)

Shuro is the samurai who's in love with Falin, yes.

He's also been shown in the anime during that little flashback of how they would normally fight dragons. He was the main damage dealer of the team.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 22, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clarste posted:

Shuro is the samurai who's in love with Falin, yes.

He's also been shown in the anime during that little flashback of how they would normally fight dragons. He was the main damage dealer of the team.

Didn't they also mention that he was down here on his own, also trying to find & resurrect Falin?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
no, we don't know if he's in the dungeon still. we've only seen him mentioned in that flashback.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

VideoWitch posted:

Honestly my read is the opposite. I think Marcille isn't entirely aware of her feelings for Falin while Falin absolutely is

Marcille thinks she's being subtle in courting Falin

Falin has been under the assumption they've been dating since their first date to the academy bat cave

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got the impression from Namari's comment that he'd gone off to search for Falin somewhere else besides the dungeon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I got the impression from Namari's comment that he'd gone off to search for Falin somewhere else besides the dungeon.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, since you (apparently) need a body to revive someone. He has to be in the dungeon unless he expects her soul has already been unchained from her corpse and is somewhere else.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Which is kind of an odd thing to do, like... she got eaten by a dragon, where else does he expect her to be? :confused:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's the kind of guy who, despite having a crush on Falin, decided to ditch the party that included her best friend and brother who were already planning a rescue mission, all so he could wander off to search for her himself somewhere else. I don't think he's the brightest dude.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I get the idea that he was planning to have a big “cavalry arrives” moment with a whole bunch of reinforcements so he could impress Falin and then springboard it into a proposal, but… then all of this happened. :v:

Or he was just looking for another mage who both specialized in revival and was willing to work on a budget or payment plan.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

At the start of the show, Laios proposed a plan where he'd sell off Chilchuck and Marcille's equipment so he can buy supplies and go on a one-man expedition down the dungeon. Add that to the mention of there being some form of banking in the setting and how even someone like Laios has money saved up, maybe we'll see that Shuro's plan is to withdraw from his savings and go down the dungeon by himself so he doesn't get slowed down by others.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shuro decided the dungeon-based revival was a lost cause and decided to head off into the mountains to look for any recently-born baby that might be her reincarnation

He's playing the Long Game here

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Shuro sees his would-be fiancee devoured by a dragon and decides to go on a journey of self-discovery and healing. Starts a Youtube channel about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Falin's resurrection is one of the coolest and spookiest sequences in the manga, and there are some panels in the comic that I had been looking forward to seeing animated. While they didn't get to all of them, the anime still did a pretty good job of it.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 22, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Falin's resurrection is one of the coolest and spookiest sequences in the manga, and there are some panels in the comic that I had been looking forward to seeing animated. While they didn't get to all of them, the anime still did a pretty good job of it.

theres something about speaking in arcane glyphs thats just impossibly more mysterious than saying pronounceable words

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Marcille’s pharmakeia is strong.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, having both read the manga and watched the anime: They should've left in or paid more attention to the hair undressing part of the incantation, plus the whole Chilchuck freak-out about the dragon parts being wasted going unexplained was a bit weird. Also, I think the whole "Falin walking in smiling to greet the others after chatting with her brother" scene hit a lot harder in the manga and they should have left it as a freeze frame or something in the anime instead of immediately cutting away from it.

Apart from those minor quirks, the episode as a whole was still very enjoyable and good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

cant cook creole bream posted:

I just saw it on a trainride. Felt a bit uncomfortable when the person next to me saw my screen.
"Relax, she's a 23 year old skeleton in a female tall man's body"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder why Fallin doesn't get a pair of glasses. Wouldn't need to squint so much. Maybe they're really expensive, and only old rich gnomes can afford them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chilchuck's reaction to Senshi works in the show as an "oh poo poo he's lighting a fire next to a monster famous for being extremely volatile he's gonna explode". It doesn't work as well as a joke of "holy poo poo he's gonna explode all the valuable parts and we're broke" but it still fits the footage shown.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

They mean the reaction he has when Senshi just cuts into the tail

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Chilchuck's reaction to Senshi works in the show as an "oh poo poo he's lighting a fire next to a monster famous for being extremely volatile he's gonna explode". It doesn't work as well as a joke of "holy poo poo he's gonna explode all the valuable parts and we're broke" but it still fits the footage shown.

I am 100% sure Chilchuck’s primary concern was Senshi’s wellbeing in that exact moment.

Normal res magic (aka using healing magic on a dead body and letting the dungeon’s spell do the rest) doesn’t work as well when a body is heavily damaged (plus, seeing how it was inferred that Falin’s soul was hanging on a thread to the skeleton, it seems like there’s a limit to how much damage a body can austain before the person is dead dead. Getting ‘sploded by a giant boom point blank seems like a good way to test that limit) and collecting Senshi’s remains from all over the place to do another devilish ritual seems like a crazy prospect.

Plus, you don’t wanna desensitize Laios to the dark magic res. He would try to commit suicide to get revived with dragon meat or some poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

VideoWitch posted:

Listen sometimes you just need a house with seven bathrooms

duz posted:

Real World: IBS

fantasy world segregation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

my fave