Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Has anybody heard of this? Should I stop waiting for IMAX 70mm and see it tomorrow in this thing? The "audio description" makes me pause

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 20, 2024

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
That is an ad for a lasgun

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if that one theater in Los Angeles with the three screens is showing it.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Galewolf posted:

Do I have to watch this in IMAX? Like,literally all IMAX screenings are sold out until forever and the ones that are not have like absolutely dreadful seats

I watched the first one in a regular theatre and it was okay. I know D-Dawg does a good job with sounds and music so idk
Keep in mind that IMAX is a brand. There are 70' theater screens that don't have the IMAX name.

If your have a regional subreddit go there and search for "biggest movie screen" and you may have alternatives.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

kiimo posted:

Has anybody heard of this? Should I stop waiting for IMAX 70mm and see it tomorrow in this thing? The "audio description" makes me pause

It's an accessibility option for the visually impaired, basically captions for the visuals. They ask for a receiver at the box office, put in headphones, and as the movie plays a synched audio track will be like "As the dune collapses under him, paul LEAPS onto the back of a truly immense sandworm" etc etc.

If you don't go up to the box office with a cane and dark glasses and ask for the thingy you don't gotta worry about it at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

what if I go with a friend on my shoulders in a giant coat

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Dirty Tleilaxu

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

kiimo posted:

Just as long as you aren't wearing the special clothing they're programmed to attack you should be fine with this showing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
DUUUUUUUUUNNNNNEEEEEE!!!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gatts posted:

DUUUUUUUUUNNNNNEEEEEE!!!!

been saying this

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Just don’t wear a personal shield to a Laser theater

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mister Speaker posted:

I did like the bit in the movie where Chani's friend is digging at Paul for how the desert mouse almost gave away his position and Paul's like "hey yeah why don't you name me after that little shithead?"

Legit shame we didn't get Paul doing the little hopping gesture

I always liked the touch, Paul sees this tiny adorable funny little creature surviving in an insanely harsh environment and understands the implications. That the Fremen go to insane lengths to accomplish what Muad'Dib does naturally. And the Fremen also understand this.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
muad'dib is genetically engineered. but the kind that herbert approves of

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, I like Dune 2. Dune 2 chicks at the same time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they cut harah but herbert put her in there

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

McGavin posted:

Yeah, I like Dune 2. Dune 2 chicks at the same time.

-Brian Herbert

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really liked Dune part 2.

I absolutely loved the scenes of Geidi prime. Everything just looked so wrong. The sun was the wrong color, the sky was the wrong color, the Harkonnens are like a race of Uncle Festers, even the fireworks looked like some color inverted zit popping. Combined with their orcish sounding language and the military parade straight out of some Soviet bloc country.

Why wasn't Lady Fenring bald? I understand she's a Bene Gesserit but by her pasty complexion assumed her to be native of the planet.

Was that floating Dialysis Pod attached to the Baron due to Leto gassing him in part 1? We saw him take an oil bath presumably to recover his injuries, but he takes another one in part 2 and I wonder if his recovery is just really lengthy.

I like how all their spaceships and equipment is fat and bumblebee shaped. Even compare the spice harvester Atredes has to use with the Dr Wiley looking monstrosities that Harkonnens use. Best guess is they have their harvesters able to hold more spice so they can mine more of it at a time and room to fit all those anti fremen missiles.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Was that floating Dialysis Pod attached to the Baron due to Leto gassing him in part 1? We saw him take an oil bath presumably to recover his injuries, but he takes another one in part 2 and I wonder if his recovery is just really lengthy.

I posed this question in the "other" Dune thread in CD and the consensus seems to be yes, Leto's final gently caress you turned him into a permanent birthday-clown.

I didn't see it until a ton of re-watches but you can actually see when the emperor makes a little hand gesture to the Sardaukar to command that the balloons are now to be released to the ceiling and get stuck by a vent.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Yeah I loved the Giedi Prime sequence too, you're right it was very disquieting. The giant bloated gunships I especially found weirdly revolting, like they're some Gigeresque monster. Doubly so when you see them in action destroying the sietches.

Someone pointed out earlier that the Harkonnen spice harvesters look like giant bloated ticks, I think that's 100% intentional.

And yeah I loved the floating dialysis machine or whatever it was, absolutely a consequence of Leto poisoning him just like the mud bath in part 1. Such an excellent touch.

free hubcaps posted:

-Brian Herbert

If the Hollywood afterparties to to movie premieres are even remotely in any way like spice orgies, you can bet Brian wasn't invited.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lady fenring's a bene gesserit woman of unknown heritage, not actually from giedi prime

giger got his start in movies with jodorowsky's dune. obviously that failed and he reused buncha stuff for alien

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/culture/hr-giger-and-the-buried-dune-project/47348980

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Copped a viewing tomorrow. I don't think it's Imax which is fail. Dolby atmos and "superscreen DLX" Seems like a ripoff.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair a gross fat pedophile is at least one of the villains of reality at the moment.

I'm glad you said "at least" because I can think of a few

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I really liked that the sardaukar language isn't total gibberish but with the subtitles you can kinda interpret what means what

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Copped a viewing tomorrow. I don't think it's Imax which is fail. Dolby atmos and "superscreen DLX" Seems like a ripoff.

Dolby Atmos? I'll say a prayer for your eardrums, you're gonna get thoroughly assaulted by sound. Dunc 2 is loud as it is, Dolby Atmos should make your ears bleed.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

niethan posted:

I really liked that the sardaukar language isn't total gibberish but with the subtitles you can kinda interpret what means what

I loved this little detail too. It's almost a patois.

quote:

Na ! Shaduka, ki ukabaade. Sakusa akista faade. Ta abula kamanzi. At sa da.
(No ! We are the Sardaukar. The Emperor’s blades. Those who stand against us fall. The Emperor commands it. It is done.)

You can pick out a little bit, especially interesting to me is that words of importance (authority?) like 'command' seem to bear stronger resemblance to English (or whatever language everyone is canonically speaking in-universe).

What's the timeline in the book from when Paul & Jessica link up with the Fremen and when they meet Gurney Halleck again? I know the new film compressed things quite a bit, it must have been on the order of a couple of months, because Alia isn't even born by the end of the film.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

niethan posted:

I think they explained after the first came out it's based off actual old English or some form of extremely clipped "anglic"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

I loved this little detail too. It's almost a patois.

You can pick out a little bit, especially interesting to me is that words of importance (authority?) like 'command' seem to bear stronger resemblance to English (or whatever language everyone is canonically speaking in-universe).

What's the timeline in the book from when Paul & Jessica link up with the Fremen and when they meet Gurney Halleck again? I know the new film compressed things quite a bit, it must have been on the order of a couple of months, because Alia isn't even born by the end of the film.

years, paul already has a baby and alia is a weird rear end child

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

There's supposed to be a two year time skip.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

pnumoman posted:

Dolby Atmos? I'll say a prayer for your eardrums, you're gonna get thoroughly assaulted by sound. Dunc 2 is loud as it is, Dolby Atmos should make your ears bleed.

son of a gun. what about the screen?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

son of a gun. what about the screen?

Never heard of it before but if it's not 70mm IMAX, it shouldn't be much different one way or another. I'd be more worried about whether the theater is a decent one that doesn't have smudges on the glass in front of the projector or something.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

pnumoman posted:

Never heard of it before but if it's not 70mm IMAX, it shouldn't be much different one way or another. I'd be more worried about whether the theater is a decent one that doesn't have smudges on the glass in front of the projector or something.

Apparently it’s some non imax mess that’s just basically slightly bigger

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

How would you summarize dune one to the wife in a few sentences if she hasn’t seen it before the pleasure of dune 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maudib Arakkis posted:

How would you summarize dune one to the wife in a few sentences if she hasn’t seen it before the pleasure of dune 2

Psychic white boy gets radicalized after evil people kill his dad.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Explain the worms. My son saw the Dunc 2 with a friend who hadn't seen part 1 or read the book and at one point the friend leaned over and whispered, "why is he walking like that?"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Maudib Arakkis posted:

white boy summer, but the cocaine is blue

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

pthighs posted:

Explain the worms. My son saw the Dunc 2 with a friend who hadn't seen part 1 or read the book and at one point the friend leaned over and whispered, "why is he walking like that?"

lol good point

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Lawrence of Arabia with space Adderall

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Remember that Fatboy Slim video with Christopher Walken? This is the movie it's based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Lawrence of Arabia with space Adderall

look, the trusted drug of jihadism is called captagon, only the analogy kinda breaks down because a lot of it is produced by the baathist (secular) syrians