Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
The other thing Halo 2 Anniversary doesn't have is BREAKING BENJAMIN :rock:

I actually had no idea they were even in the game, because I never played the classic version in MCC. It was weird as hell when I flipped it to classic and heard Blow Me Away playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm wondering if the lack of music is due to royalties and people wanting to spite Marty and keep him from getting cash (which is a perfectly acceptable reason because gently caress Marty)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm sure theres any number of reasons but its weird, like if someone was finally making a star wars adaptation for the first time, and then didn't use a single lick of anything that sounded like the john williams score. I did a really cheap and lovely re-edit a while ago of the big battle in season one with the warthog run soundtrack on top, and even with my non editing skills it was so much better and more... halo.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, the halo series being so cinematic in the first place is where my absolute naivete came from going into this show thinking "ok, they're doing their own thing and you know, whatever its a different medium you gotta change some stuff up, but i'm interested in how this is going to lead into The pillar of autumn arriving at the ring, guilty spark and the truth of the ring, the release of the flood, tree man keyes, the invasion of earth and giving back their bomb, the arbiter's sentencing, chief crashing back through orbit, zombie high charity screaming out of slipspace", etc etc etc as all these moments are so iconic, it would be weird to not include much of it in a literal cinematic adaptation. So much so my brain wasn't even twinging to "oh, they're just not going to do anything that was actually in any of these very cinematic games", and just kind of thought they're being slow in leading up to it all.

Again, i'm not saying the show needs to slavishly follow a video game series to be good, not at all, it can be its own thing as long as its good, it just seems weird to take a story beloved for its set pieces and cinematic nature and cut out the story while keeping the characters and setting. Much in the same way its been really bizarre to take a series known and beloved for its iconic musical themes and then.... basically not include any of the musical cues.

I don't know how well received it was here, but I thought The Last of US tv series did an amazing job bringing the game to a live action format, hitting the main story line beats, but also changing some things up and doing its own thing and often for the better.
As you said, I understand due to budget and time constraints a Halo TV series is going to be very different, but it's weird that iconic moments like "The Pillar of Autumn stumbles upon Halo and no one has any idea wtf this thing is" are not represented.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt thst Last of Us actually fell short when it did shot for shot remakes if game cutscenes, but did much better when it branched off or went in an alternate route.

"You'd just come after her" is meant to be this sudden, violent punch to the face, and the show made it slow and drawn out in comparison.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don't know how well received it was here, but I thought The Last of US tv series did an amazing job bringing the game to a live action format, hitting the main story line beats, but also changing some things up and doing its own thing and often for the better.
As you said, I understand due to budget and time constraints a Halo TV series is going to be very different, but it's weird that iconic moments like "The Pillar of Autumn stumbles upon Halo and no one has any idea wtf this thing is" are not represented.

Halo is named after Halo and executives want people to know WTF it is quick. Never forget that they want to explain everything many many times to the dumbest gently caress they can think of, usually to the detriment of the story and the interest of a lot of the audience.

This is a contributing reason to why John Wick is such a loving great movie, it just gets on with it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here comes the Flood, doo-doo-doo-doo

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm an idiot with two needlers was pretty good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Chief finally got to the Vancouver Installation Halo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Well, I sort of need a season 3 after that.

C’mon, Paramount. Get your poo poo together.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ratjaculation posted:

Lol at still thinking the halo will feature in the finale more than a single closing shot of chief walking out of a ship onto it, and thats being generous

in the end, the Chief was loving all of us

so wrong, you loving idiot

A really good episode imo, despite knowing exactly what Mr Chef would do because that one clip has been advertised on the every single social media platform for the duration of the season

Action scenes on the corvette were amazing

They are kinda limited with how to portray parasitic zombs originally in 2024, so I can forgive that.

Halsey being put into a never before mentioned/shown stasis pod* is awful writing, commit to the drama you cowards
* yes I know they're in the game, but that doesn't count apparently.

Good choices in trimming the casting budget for the next season (lol)

Guilty Spark's voice is loving awful choice

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lmao if the show ends there that was like five different cliffhangers. Halo Season 2 has ended like Halo 2 the game.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 21, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ratjaculation posted:

Lol they really couldn't get Tim Dadabo back? Guy probably would have worked for peanuts.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Enjoyed that finale. They're seemingly rushing so many parts of the Halo story in short increments, I feel like they'll run out of the interesting stuff soon than later.

Give us another season to wrap up all the threads, then end it there whilst it's still good. Also, for god sakes give Marty some cash so you can use the iconic Halo music better.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol they really couldn't get Tim Dadabo back? Guy probably would have worked for peanuts.

It was a clever conceit to use a narrative fakeout of the Chief seemingly being debriefed only to reveal hes on the Halo. For that reason it makes sense why they swapped it, but Guilty Sparks voice is so iconic it would be nice if they kept it like they do with Cortana.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 21, 2024

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Charlie Murphy's Irish accent comes out periodically. Don't think I haven't noticed, show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ratjaculation posted:

Too sexy

I like my spark to sound like the most annoying ball of rear end to ever exist so I can smack it around

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Marty o Donnell is a chud bitch who sucks but I’m sorry the man wrote the best theme ever and it’s not halo without it. We need it more

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really want to see the reaction of someone who’s never played the games to the first 10 minutes lol

Like what the gently caress man. Idk it was fun seeing that but also…zero set up for it. Unless it was in the kwan scnees which I definitely skipped

I also skipped every scene with Soren and his kid. I don’t care. I’ll never care. You’ll never make me care

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

I really want to see the reaction of someone who’s never played the games to the first 10 minutes lol

Like what the gently caress man. Idk it was fun seeing that but also…zero set up for it. Unless it was in the kwan scnees which I definitely skipped

The stuff with Kwan is vague enough that whatever "great evil" she was seeing in her visions didn't have any indicators as to what it would actually look like. The reveal last week of the Food laboratory wouldn't immediately suggest popcorn zombies unless you already played Halo and knew what the symbols on the door meant. Because there's been zero buildup besides that vague evil vision.

Because I'm pedantic, let's go back to the Flood reveal in CE. It's actually hinted at by as early as the fourth mission when Keyes goes off to secure the "weapons cache." Then in Assault on the Control Room Cortana openly muses about the Ring's weather systems either malfunctioning or if they wanted the ring to have inclement weather (suggesting the winter conditions might be a cold storage measure). Then all through the Sixth mission where the flood are revealed you get movement all over your motion tracker, glimpses of *something* in the fog, a fakeout with human guns shooting Covenant before seeing no marines, and then all of Jenkins's helmet recordings. The Covenant sealed a door, they find an elite with his insides ripped out. And then after all this buildup the popcorn swarm appears and everything goes to poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Because there's been zero buildup besides that vague evil vision.

Uhhh I've been calling it all season. Though maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

There's the big wave of death on the map in the previous episode, the symbol on the ghost lady's head being the same as the one on the locked door, the spooky lab in general, Kwan's vision quest, the evil space maw on the wall, etc. It's not clear what the pay off is, like you said, but it's pretty clear something bad is connected to Kwan's quest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhhh I've been calling it all season. Though maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

There's the big wave of death on the map in the previous episode, the symbol on the ghost lady's head being the same as the one on the locked door, the spooky lab in general, Kwan's vision quest, the evil space maw on the wall, etc. It's not clear what the pay off is, like you said, but it's pretty clear something bad is connected to Kwan's quest.

I mean in the sense that there's a lack of buildup specifically to space zombies. It's a bunch of vague symbols and warnings but unless you already know what the Flood is none of those symbols necessarily hints at space zombies.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean in the sense that there's a lack of buildup specifically to space zombies. It's a bunch of vague symbols and warnings but unless you already know what the Flood is none of those symbols necessarily hints at space zombies.

Oh yeah, that's fair enough. There's some foreshadowing that the characters are dealing with a psychic threat, but not that they're psychic space zombies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it’s incredibly random not taking account for the source material.

Even the “it has two sets of dna on this thingy” thing didn’t make me think of the flood. It just made me think about that stupid didact composer forerunner poo poo that I hate so much. Mostly because it’s all about fate and stuff and I figured it was doing something like that. But then again I wasn’t really paying attention because a lot of this show is nonsense

But it was cool that they nailed the flood decently

Wish we saw some more forms though.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Yeah I don't think I would have predicted that container was flood spores if someone hadn't figured it out in this thread.

I like that it came out of nowhere. I remember having that same reaction in the games.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 21, 2024

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Jesus Christ. What a good episode. I am now officially pissed that they haven’t all been this good.

I’m trying to be spoiler friendly, so sorry for block box.

First off, this should have been the first episode of the entire series. This feels like a reverse Westword situation, where the first 2 seasons were written as exposition of the ‘real story’ of the last 3 seasons…which were poo poo. Now, we’ve just sat through 2 seasons of moderately forgivable television to get to the actual interesting, dynamic poo poo. We’ve crossed the threshold from gritty mil-sci-fi to space opera with zombies and space magic.

Secondly, what an amazing first episode of a zombie survival horror series set in space. What an amazing vibe, I was honestly scared a couple times. Why did they edit in all those Halo 2 cut scenes, though?

Random thoughts: Miranda freezing Halsey is a fun role reversal of the Demeter and Persephone trope, but it’s still pretty ham handed. Somebody in that writing owes me a Pepsi.

Also, this was a literal genre change threshold. It happened when John A) finally acknowledges his heroic status by saying “you don’t know what I can do” and B) waking up on the Halo without actually showing the audience how he survived. That’s how you get to spooky rear end Wonderland

3rd season, please.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was brutal. It was more or less just what I expected to happen, but even I didn't expect to the cliffhanger to be so... cliffhangery. Now I'm hoping against hope for a third season. I know Paramount is hemorrhaging money, but if they can afford that voice cast for their dumb dinosaur game cartoon they can afford another season of this show.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ratjaculation posted:

Good choices in trimming the casting budget for the next season (lol)

:negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

They're 100% going to cure Halsey and it is going to be the dumbest poo poo.

The entire point of the Halo's is that the forerunners couldn't treat the disease and had to burn it all down in the name of containment. And they're straight going to have humans cure it like it is barely an issue.

I am so ready for this dumb show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they get a season 3 they're probably gonna have to tone down the Flood significantly. An uncontested outbreak literally starts altering the atmosphere of a planet turning the very air into Flood particles. The outbreaks seen in the games only last a matter of hours* and even then they're apocalyptic almost immediately. Onyx is likely gonna be under zombie siege for days.

*The Delta Halo outbreak was several thousand years old which is why a Gravemind was there but the Quarantine Zone was holding it from getting any larger. At least until the Covenant broke the shield wall and Miranda PARKED HER loving SPACESHIP atop an active infestation.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 22, 2024

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Like I said earlier. For budget reasons I expect we'll just have loads of human flood with the occasional bit of CGI to give us a tentacle.

Same deal with halo itself. I'd be surprised if it lasts the first couple of episodes of the next season (if it gets one).

I also wouldn't be surprised if they completely change things up and turn Halsey into the grave mind too. Cheapest way to take the trope of merging antagonists together without loads of high cost CGI. Also, it's not like she has any more mysteries to reveal. I'm surprised she didn't pop it this season.

They'll probably jump back to earth or some poo poo then for the rest of the season to give us more human flood fodder and to make it cheaper to film.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
For a second there I was thinking that maybe all the mysticism bullshit Kwan has been doing all season was her getting lead around by The Flood because it wanted to turn her into a gravemind. Which could have been a really cool twist that retroactively made all her endless mysticism wisdom garbage actually pay off. Nah.

Using Parangosky as a gravemind could be interesting, especially if The Flood is able to learn everything she knows.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They made the Elite blood orange and it is loving BULLSHIT.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What a great episode. Crazy how it took this long for the show to get good. Hopefully we get another season.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's been a pretty steady ramp up all season, it's just in stark contrast to the pointless first season.

I don't care if Star Trek has been solid between Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks, gimme more Halo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the gently caress is Kwan's story even now

Or Miranda's

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I would call this show good but I did enjoy watching the chief increasingly become more like his one-liner spouting self from the old games

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, good episode and I hope we get another season. I wasn't expecting the Flood so soon.

I also hope if there is a next season that we get more Cortana and Chief mostly on their own so their relationship can deepen and grow.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i liked season 2 a lot more than season 1 and i hope its renewed

maybe helps that im not a halo fan and haven't played any of the games. almost bought the mc collection when it was on sale for like 9 bux a few days ago though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can accept the Flood being movie zombies + a tentacle, because poo poo's expensive and it looked like they spent all their money on the final Chief/Arbiter fight.

But Chief arriving on the Halo in a ship that was burning up in the atmosphere and was about to break up, then /smash cut/ he's lying on the grass?

Yeah, that was bullshit.

"Watch this," I say as I smash the control panel with my fist, somehow absorbing an AI.