Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I get the itch to replay DUSK around Fall every year. It just has those vibes.

Episode 1 is pretty tame compared to 2 and 3 for sure, I believe David has said that’s mostly because he was learning level design as he went along and got more comfortable trying out new things as the project progressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dusk is really excellent and I had a great time with it. But Cultic is the best of the boomer shooters thus far. I really wish he’d put posts about how development is going somewhere that isn’t Twitter since they won’t let you see Tweets without an account now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Dusk is really excellent and I had a great time with it. But Cultic is the best of the boomer shooters thus far. I really wish he’d put posts about how development is going somewhere that isn’t Twitter since they won’t let you see Tweets without an account now.

The worst part about quitting twitter is not being able to follow development because I followed a ton of devs including him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boomer shooter developers, and game devs in general, are really the only reason to continue to use Twitter. Dave Oshry as well, though he is an exception, as he's not specifically a dev, but the head of New Blood and is very much a pro follow.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Can anyone share some quick thoughts on Fortunes Run before the steam sale ends? It's been sitting in my wishlist for awhile and looks right up my alley, but I haven't seen many people talk about it in this thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone share some quick thoughts on Fortunes Run before the steam sale ends? It's been sitting in my wishlist for awhile and looks right up my alley, but I haven't seen many people talk about it in this thread.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/HyperActive1/recommended/1692240/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Interesting, thanks. I must have missed that it is still in early-access, and I'm not about to break my own self-imposed rule for a game that sounds like it still lacks a lot of content. Plenty of other games not in early access I can grab.

Thanks!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Y'all aren't giving enough love to Fashion Police Squad :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's a fun game and I liked the game forcing you to rotate weapons. but I'm a sucker for that "elevated Wolf3D" look

e: also the random but fun tony hawk level

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Another one I picked up on sale but haven't played yet. It does look good though!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I liked it and if they make anything else in the future, I'll probably be interested in it too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Groovelord Neato posted:

The worst part about quitting twitter is not being able to follow development because I followed a ton of devs including him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I get by not following devs on short form Stormfront

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I get by not following devs on short form Stormfront
I don’t know why they stay on Twitter. At the very least mirror the Tweets on one of the competitors or their own blog.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Casimir Radon posted:

I don’t know why they stay on Twitter. At the very least mirror the Tweets on one of the competitors or their own blog.
Or exactly equivalently, don't post anything at all

edit: In other words, they post on Twitter to engage with the community - not much engagement to be had on a random blog or bluesky or whatever

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 22, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Following 20 blogs is a lot harder than following 20 devs on twitter and Bluesky kinda screwed the pooch by not just copying Twitter's format and function directly.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I'm playing through Half-Life and I don't think I like it? For context, I have no real nostalgia here - I poked away at it a little around release on my brother's PC but never had a chance to really dive in. These big watershed-moment games can age weird as the novelties turn into genre tropes, and that's doubly true with Half-Life so far. Not only have all its unique ideas been iterated on and refined to oblivion, they're ideas I'm indifferent to at best (the 'seamless' world instead of discrete levels) and actively dislike at worst (that intro, meandering rail sequences). Plus, the combat is some of the most unfun dogshit in any FPS game. I appreciate the commitment to the player's perspective and there's some interesting level design (it's pretty good at avoiding the feeling of just following a linear path, even if that's exactly what you're doing), plus I think I might like the storytelling except that I can't make out more than 10% of the dialogue because the voiceovers are some poorly-mixed 4-bitrate quality garbage and there are no subtitles. I can understand why it was such a big deal at the time but playing in 2024... eh. It feels like a rough draft for the type of "Immersive, Cinematic Experience" shooter I'm glad the industry is finally inching away from.

Granted, Valve was able to expand on the blueprint and make some very good videogames that are actually fun to play, but a huge chunk of the industry saw slow scripted sequences and on-rail sections and said "hell yeah, let's turn shooters into that for the next 15 years."

I'm probably about 2/3 through and running out of steam (eh? EH?) so I'm not sure I'll finish, especially given the reputation of Xen. Maybe I should've just tried Black Mesa instead since apparently it fixes a lot of the issues I have.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black Mesa is a soulless remake.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
black mesa is fun and makes the smg part of the smg way better+more enjoyable to hose down grunts with

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I dunno I thought this would be a good place to post this:

Back in my teens I was messing about with Quake C. I had no experience programming and was just copying blocks of code from one file to the other to see what would happen. One of them was for cluster grenades or nail bombs or something. I thought "What if those clusters exploded into more clusters, which exploded into even MORE clusters.." Yeah, you get the idea.

I started up Quake and as soon as I hit the fire button it was a crash to DOS and the screen had filled up with 'PACKET OVERFLOW ERROR'. I suppose that was the computers way of asking me wtf I thought I was doing.

I remember messing with some 'pulse gun' mod - it really wasn't that impressive. Just a slow firing nailgun that bounced projectiles. I used it to make grenades that never stopped bouncing. It was a bit tricky but I also made them explode if they hit the player. Fire about 20 in different directions at the start of a level for extra fun.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Messing with projectiles in games was always fun. I had a modded Xbox and made Halo’s assault rifle shoot Scorpion tanks instead of bullets, then stood on the bridge on top of Assault on the Control Room and rained tanks into the valley until the Xbox melted.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If I play old games I try to be mindful that the game, being old, is going to be unrefined and adjust my expectations accordingly. To offset that I find it interesting to think about it's context in history, what it did first and what it got right rather than get too hung up on the negatives.

Marathon still sucks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lotta terrible opinions lately.

I have never played marathon tho

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
A huge part of what made me “good at computers” was messing around with game mods when I was younger, and figuring out how to make them work.

I’m pretty sure downloading and playing mods for half-life was the first time I encountered the idea of game versioning. Had to make sure my game was on version 1.0.0.9 for most of the mods to work!

Messing with config files to make Foxbot in team fortress classic work the way I wanted when I was 11 actually forced me to learn some critical thinking and problem solving skills, turns out.

Not FPS but shout out to TibEd, a program my cousin showed me around the same time that made editing unit behavior and attributes in C&C Tiberian Sun surprisingly easy. Apparently, the website is still up and the last news update was made only 3 years ago!

https://www.tibed.net/index

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I have never played marathon tho

Marathon 2 played via Aleph One is a good place to start - I play through it every year or so, thirty years on and it's still my high water mark for classic single player fps campaigns

edit: I said this, fired M2 up for a lark and immediately was wandering around mission seven ("Ex Cathedra") before I'd realized I'd started yet another complete playthrough :xd:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 22, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Granted, Valve was able to expand on the blueprint and make some very good videogames that are actually fun to play, but a huge chunk of the industry saw slow scripted sequences and on-rail sections and said "hell yeah, let's turn shooters into that for the next 15 years."
Suppose for a moment that the most recent FPS someone played was Half-Life and missed that entirely trajectory of narrative-driven shooters that followed. What actually is the best game there?

Bioshock Infinite?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Suppose for a moment that the most recent FPS someone played was Half-Life and missed that entirely trajectory of narrative-driven shooters that followed. What actually is the best game there?

Bioshock Infinite?

Bioshock 2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Person who has only ever played Hunt Down the Freeman playing their first Half-Life game: "Hmmm this is giving me major Hunt Down the Freeman vibes..."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Black Mesa is a soulless remake.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Bioshock Infinite?

Breakdown!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Bioshock Infinite?

None are really what I would say feel like half life specifically but as a narrative experience while not being too FPS that has a story

Fear
Call of Juarez gunslinger
Titanfall 2? Might be too short
Wolfenstein the new order
Is tron 2.0 too rpg?

site fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 22, 2024

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'd put the Metro games on that list, too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love Breakdown and its an all time classic for me and, yeah, by far my favorite FPS of its era but it is also full of some extreme difficulty spike, insanely ugly and reused areas, and controls that occasionally just do not work how you want them to as they are going to do their one thing and goddamn you for trying to do something else with them.

Why yes I did buy it back compat and replay it in higher def and cuss at god all over again jesus gently caress you final boss you titchy little poo poo who can only be beaten with one specific move.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What takes longer?

- any Sverre Kvernmo or Chris Couleur map from Eternal Doom
- "Tough Skin River" from Back to Saturn X
- the Shadow Wood hub from Hexen
- the really epic floating crystal island map from Arcane Dimensions whose name I can't remember
- Beethoven's 5th Symphony
- any of the hub 1 levels in Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

The answer may surprise you! :shepface:

This game is really baroque and overwrought from the save system to the incredibly edgy enemy and weapon lineup to the empty story touches that clash with the extreme abstraction of the aesthetic. The gimmick with the hub levels resulting in different encounters depending on which order you play the maps in was a horrendously bad idea and resulted in really predictable, annoying teleport fights with nothing interesting going on in their staging, and this combines with the absurdly bloated level design to make every map a slog. Like, instead of a series of levels of gradually escalating size, difficulty, spectacle, and stakes, it feels like a succession of "map29" type maps, each intended to be some humongous climax but when every map is equally oversized and ponderous there are no dynamics or pacing to make the climax mean anything.

The po-faced self-seriousness really doesn't help in this regard, a touch of camp would make the ginormous maps go down a little easier. An automap really would too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wah wah Dark Souls is hard, how about you play a real game and attempt to defeat two of the games most basic enemy at the same time without dying over and over again like groundhog day from hell.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
^^^ Wrong thread, mate.

I really am hopping up and down waiting for the System Shock Remake patch to drop so I can replay it on 'all 3s' difficulty. cmonnnn already

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

The discoverability on the competitors kinda sucks in my experience (Cohost didn't even have hashtags until the other day!), and they often lack useful features for showcasing your game like animated GIFs or inline video.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woolie Wool posted:

What takes longer?
- any of the hub 1 levels in Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

The answer may surprise you! :shepface:

I'm approaching the end of the game (level 3 of Act 3) and I can generally agree with your post. The game's nailed that "nonspecific edgy dark sci-fi/fantasy from 20 years ago" aesthetic, but I'm not sure it's entirely deliberate. Combined with the massive maps, the result gives me a sort of perpetual amnesia--I forget things about the game almost as soon as they're behind me. I find myself unable to recall any specific details of the previous dozen maps; I don't know what the plot is. A ghostly figure exposits at me, but it's so generic that I slip into a trance the moment the words appear on screen.

And yet the game's not bad...it just feels like a first draft of something, prior to the fat being trimmed and the mechanics being tightened. It's like those similarly sprawling levels from Boltgun: too loving big and purposeless. I see what Civvie says when he calls it a weird game; the seams are visible between the stages of its problematic development.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I bought Outlaws on Steam sale and, man, it's still absolutely one of my favorite FPSes of all time*, but even after editing the config to bump up the resolution, I'm getting sick of my monitors going black and blinking out when it tries to shift resolution between gameplay/menu/cutscene. Especially because I want to try and beat it again on "Ugly" difficulty, which is of course going to require a lot of loading games. I know that the game infamously never had a fully-finished source port, but are there any patches or edits that make it a bit less of a blinking madness?

* = I recognize that the enemy variety is terrible and the boss strategies are braindead, but the maniacs in charge still somehow made an incredibly satisfying series of shootouts. A lot of it definitely has to do with sounds, artistic direction and the fact that guns are inaccurate as hell. I don't know if I'd call it an all-time classic of the genre, but it definitely carved its way into me as a fantastic experience and a pitch-perfect homage to the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

I'd put the Metro games on that list, too

Yep