Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vargo posted:

You want to go ahead and keep posting these for me until next week? I have to go out of town and won't be back until Wednesday.

If it's just for a few days, no prob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

From the Breaking Cat News Instagram

Georgia Dunn posted:

When I wrote these strips, I asked my daughter if she would like to be the one to mention there’s no “Phoebe and Her Unicorn,” because that’s her biggest complaint when she opens the newspaper. With full Ora Zella energy blazing, she told me I better! 😂 Kids want to see the comics they are reading, and almost all of our kids are reading “Phoebe and Her Unicorn”!;

Dana Simpson sells more books than all of the other newer cartoonists combined! Her books have been translated into more languages than I can quickly list here and sell all over the world! And yet—She’s never been awarded a Reuben?? Whaaaat?! HOW??And her strip was also dropped in the restructuring—again, HOW?? Would newspapers …like… money?? Because bookstores are raking it in every time a new Phoebe book drops, thanks to Dana! Surely newspapers would like to offer a comic that parents pay for to young families?

If we want newspaper comics to be a financial support to papers and drive subscriptions, newspapers need to follow the money and offer the comics parents and grandparents are actually buying for their kids. If they offer material children want delivered to their home daily, they’ll attract family subscribers again. I don’t have the numbers on this, but I’m pretty certain “Phoebe and her Unicorn” sold more books than “Beetle Bailey” or “Blondie” (again, combined—Dana is KILLING IT!!) last year… I’m sure they sold more in the last five years! “Phoebe and her Unicorn” should come standard in every newspaper in the country!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quick someone order a reuben for Dana!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol: That's a good gag.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Doomykins posted:

Did Phantom get the regular artist back or did they kick the pinch hitter in the rear end? A lot less stupid facial expressions, something is actually happening, had a chuckle at the sheer goofiness of the goons.
Still not the regular, but definitely improved.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Is this guy 120 years old?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Their viewership drop must be hitting their production as well, she’s having to ask herself the interview questions.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Time to do some hero poo poo.

Whatever servant Azura has spying on Flash and Co is madly ringing the "poo poo's going down!" bell so she doesn't miss this.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Is this guy 120 years old?

The peril of writing for an audience of retirees is that you've got to make your heroes' heroes even older.

Anyhow, how long until we find out that Rene Belluso stole something from the old cowboy, too?

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 21, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 06, 1962)

Here Hal's shamefully reusing the last panel just from the previous week. Even some readers at the time must have noticed.

As a counterpoint, I'd like to call attention to the first panel, where Foster actually drew the pattern on Sadonick's whateverthefuck warping to follow the curve of the fabric

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 22, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 23,1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 20, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 13, 1919)

Us Boys(March 21, 1912)

The Gumps(April 19, 1917)

$2.60 in 1917 is $68.75
10 cents is $10.58

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

boy I hope you like marriage comix

the fruit, she is low-hanging

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Ardeem posted:

Whatever servant Azura has spying on Flash and Co is madly ringing the "poo poo's going down!" bell so she doesn't miss this.

Admittedly, I hosed up her hand

https://imgur.com/a/HjIupdq

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

riderchop posted:

realizing you had to come up with all the intentional misspeak/misspellings and its very endearing
It’s been a fun challenge / exercise!
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/19/60

I really want to see "Harbors in a Flash"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/4-6/52

For those unfamiliar with John Alden and Miles Standish.

Archie 11/28-30/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 4/28-30/77

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clashing colors? It's one color.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zereth posted:

Clashing colors? It's one color.

leave it to an underpaid syndicate colorist to not read the-

... heyy, wait a second!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

DAISIE! Who is this lute-addled minstrel mage? Enjoy the allusion to King Conan, the ultimate and most grizzled of all the Cimmerian’s forms. And what in Crom’s name is that song about?

Daisie is an expy (to use a TV trope term) of Daisy Wootan from Allison's Giant Days comics. Since the Giant Days series was print run it never was posted here, but in 2022 Allison did draw a comic where his characters met Batman (which Allison has since taken down):

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

"which Allison has since taken down" should be the title of his biography.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I really want to see "Harbors in a Flash"

I have a feeling I know what that one's going to be about...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
[several paragraphs complaining about the increasing anachronistic looseness of Hagar the Horrible]

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm just psyched to see gags about Hagar looting and pillaging, tbh. My memories of the strip from childhood are mostly just tepid marriage/family jokes, so "Hagar should do some barbarian stuff" is delightful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

They're feral animals, Mark. What do you think should be done with them? Do you have a solution or are you expecting someone else to solve that problem?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

They're feral animals, Mark. What do you think should be done with them? Do you have a solution or are you expecting someone else to solve that problem?

Just move them elsewhere!

I worked with a cat rescue for loving years, and it always amazed me how people wanted us to take their cats, and they were shocked we had closed intake because we were at capacity. "But he's so pretty/loving/the pound will put him down!"

Then there were the feral cats. People wanting intake for sometimes a dozen or more unaltered cats and kittens.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My cat takes it up several notches by peeing in the sink while he watches me pee.

Luann

A married person with a dangerous career? Nah, no reason to think about life insurance.

Gil Thorp

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

They're just horses, Mark.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

"Boy, you were the roughest and toughest! Admiring your strong manly strongness was what made me become a strong manly strong professional wrestler."

"Yep, and here I am gettin' around in a zoopimobile, whatever they're called. There's no shame in gettin' old, pardner."

"Gosh! I guess I'll use my walking stick after all."

OKAY, STORY DONE, GOOD LESSON, LET'S MOVE ON

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

riderchop posted:

riderchop@Athena:/mnt/c/Users/Ariel$ bash ck.sh

<hacker voice>I'm in

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

I know it's 80s MW so everyone is always the worst forever, but this "how dare you not just accept the first warm body to come your way and then say you don't want to be single?" poo poo is extra the worst.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Haifisch posted:

I know it's 80s MW so everyone is always the worst forever, but this "how dare you not just accept the first warm body to come your way and then say you don't want to be single?" poo poo is extra the worst.

Yeah, ever since it started I've been thinking of that old tweet or whatever, "you say you're hungry but there's half a hotdog in the dumpster outside." And seeing as it's an '80s strip, I bet when we do finally meet the dude, he's just loving awful.

Edit: just so it's not a totally negative post, this was a great Mexikids story.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 22, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Holy poo poo i love this strip. My youth in a nutshell.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I keep coming up with ideas for people that the Count could've met at this convention in Rex Morgan, to realize that he shouldn't be ashamed for using a mobility aid.

-another pro wrestler of his vintage and career overlap, who uses a wheelchair and has people lining up to meet him.
-a younger pro wrestler (by a few decades) who retired after an in-ring accident (outside of softball charity matches) and walks with a cane now, but reveals he was a huge fan of the count as a kid.
-a way younger pro wrestler who helps the Count, tells the Count that he's still their hero and no amount of needing a mobility aid will make the count look bad in their eyes.
--possibly even ramp up the sympathy by saying the younger pro wrestler has a family member who uses mobility aids.
-the Count nearly collapses at an out-of-the-way artist's table, the artist uses a cane and relates to the count through his art or something, idk.
-the Count meets a guy who was a TV star back during the count's heyday but whose career went nowhere, and they commiserate and laugh together at how old they've gotten, and gain newfound respect for each other because no matter how famous, no matter what one is known for, time comes for us all and we should do what we can to enjoy the twilight years we've earned.

instead, an octogenarian is going to learn from his childhood TV idol that scooters exist.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

“Uncles are just brothers who grow older but never grow up” describes my childhood relationship with my uncles perfectly.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
like, gently caress, I know nothing ever happens in Rex Morgan, but it's such a gimme to have the tough old guy realize that people of all ages may possibly require mobility aids, and also at the same time find out that he can swallow his manly pride because his fans are just happy that he's present and healthy, and are honored to meet him no matter what he's using to get around. If you wanna get vulgar levels of cloying PR-friendly tokenism, have a child who uses crutches see him and go "oh, wow! Now I realize that manly men can use mobility aids! I've never had a role model until a baby boomer gave me the wisdom I needed to survive my handicap and stand up to bullies and, idk, intolerance! Thanks, magical old man of infinite cranky boomer wisdom!"

I'm annoyed, is what I'm saying. But I still can't put myself in the headspace of the people who hate Wallace and/or Amelia in the GoComics comments.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

~Coxy posted:

<hacker voice>I'm in

i gotta stop posting so late at night!!!!!!!!

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 19, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

LvK posted:

I'm annoyed, is what I'm saying. But I still can't put myself in the headspace of the people who hate Wallace and/or Amelia in the GoComics comments.

I'd be worried if you could, that sort of headspace can't be healthy. No one should have the joy sucked out of their life for that.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Breadmaster posted:

I'd be worried if you could, that sort of headspace can't be healthy. No one should have the joy sucked out of their life for that.

I appreciate that. I toyed with calling PJ from the Family Circus a "oval office," but my heart wasn't in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

A married person with a dangerous career? Nah, no reason to think about life insurance.

back in September, I decided to read Luann from the start (because it was one of the first dailies I read as a kid, but that was already in the late 90s/early 00s, so I was curious how it started) and honestly? Brad's always been a dumbass