Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

it feels kind of like the AAA games that are going to be successful can be determined at this point months before a release happens. like when suicide squad was months away everyone knew it was going to bomb and it did, and dragon's dogma 2 was presumed to be the biggest game this half of the year, and it became a self fulfilling prophecy. it's a different world than a decade ago when the only certainties were COD, Madden and Battlefield selling well

it's very different from the film industry where there is basically nothing surefire anymore and even Disney/Marvel are dealing with box office bombs and disappointments

I think the success of both Helldivers 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 were kind of surprising, per their own developers. Like I always expected them to be good games given their studio's track records, but neither to the degree they were.

But yeah, I agree in general the level of exposure AAA games get during previews and public response to that is often telling of how they will be received on release.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah there's just this weird runaway momentum with certain games that happens now in gaming that almost guarantees success, whereas other AAA games fight for the remaining attention and end up not getting into the, idk, mindshare??

like hellblade 2, star wars outlaws, indiana jones, and stalker 2 are also this year and i don't think they've gotten any real foothold in gaming discourse like DDogma2 has

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Microsoft in their internal documents thought BG3 would sell nothing and be a small indie thing nobody cares about.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

Microsoft in their internal documents thought BG3 would sell nothing and be a small indie thing nobody cares about.

Microsoft were all in on Redfall

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair it was that and then it started blowing up once that bear loving thing went viral

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah there's just this weird runaway momentum with certain games that happens now in gaming that almost guarantees success, whereas other AAA games fight for the remaining attention and end up not getting into the, idk, mindshare??

like hellblade 2, star wars outlaws, indiana jones, and stalker 2 are also this year and i don't think they've gotten any real foothold in gaming discourse like DDogma2 has

Those will all have their time in the sun when release is closer, I'm sure. I agree with you to a point though, and I think a big part of it is that we KNOW more about games pre-release than ever before. Endless marketing, previews, review copies, announcements, trailers of every loving variety, etc.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair it was that and then it started blowing up once that bear loving thing went viral

I hope whoever decided bear fuckin needed a huge focus in their presentation got a raise, that probably sold so many copies all on its own.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Infinity Gaia posted:

I hope whoever decided bear fuckin needed a huge focus in their presentation got a raise, that probably sold so many copies all on its own.

Making a game that is just bear loving.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of games bombing, this one seems to have appeared out of thin air today despite apparently launching last year

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1770880830073655456

Play
Apr 25, 2006

repiv posted:

speaking of games bombing, this one seems to have appeared out of thin air today despite apparently launching last year

Good, tencent funded heavily monetized mobile games can eat my rear end

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

repiv posted:

Did this game have any advertising? Will Smith's name can't have possibly fallen enough in the gutter for this.

[edit] lol, it is a free to play title released last June

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Making a game that is just bear loving.

Add “-simulator” to that title, grab some Unity assets, and you’re basically done.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Did this game have any advertising? Will Smith's name can't have possibly fallen enough in the gutter for this.

they spent $140 million on development and literally nobody was even aware it existed lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
It's also crazy that there is Mobile game using the Monopoly board game IP called Monopoly Go that spent like $400 million dollars on marketing and user acquisition and I've never heard of it. Man, adblock is a hell of a drug. Big mobile games are more expensive to get up and running than triple AAA beasts at this point.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 22, 2024

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

And it earned $2 billion in revenue

People spent $2 billion to play loving Monopoly

Who are these people? Can we help them somehow?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Triarii posted:

You never had to endure the mandatory family Monopoly time?
Lucky fucker.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

You never had to endure the mandatory family Monopoly time?
Lucky fucker.

No I have, that's exactly why I would not seek it out and spend money to play it on my phone, or in any other way

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Defaulting on my loans so that I can roll for a SSR Boardwalk.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Play posted:

Those will all have their time in the sun when release is closer, I'm sure.
that depends... even a couple of the huge successes like Helldivers 2 didn't get much of a marketing push

there's a fair amount of AA and AAA games that have really no thought in people's minds. i wasn't expecting Alone in the Dark to be great, but you'd think the game wasn't out for another year based on the lack of marketing, and it came out YESTERDAY

Hellblade 2 Senua's Saga is not that far away, it's exactly two months away, and I ain't seen a peep of marketing for it, or much of any public excitement for it

it's even worse with indie games. the Gone Home/Tacoma team has a new game coming out in 7 days, and I don't think Annapurna cares. the Future Games Show was today and I didn't even know it happened, and I'm the one who usually posts all the recaps of events like that!

makes me wonder how many of the massive layoffs across the industry have affected marketing teams

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

the Gone Home/Tacoma team

gently caress me, that explains a lot about Tacoma. I really do need to pay more attention to production names instead of believing sales pitches.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Alone in the dark was actually very weird, I had no idea that was coming out until like the day before it released

I've seen a lot of hell blade 2 though, they showed the first trailer ages ago and I think people are excited. Haven't heard much recently though that's true

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ZearothK posted:

It was exclusively marketed to the Chinese market.

I guess the strategy was to pretend it was a western made and marketed game so it could have a different aura

Edit: I think the new gone home team game isn't being marketed because it is personally embarrassing to Annapurna leadership

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 22, 2024

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 7th Guest posted:

there's a fair amount of AA and AAA games that have really no thought in people's minds. i wasn't expecting Alone in the Dark to be great, but you'd think the game wasn't out for another year based on the lack of marketing, and it came out YESTERDAY
that's the thing - alone in the dark didn't not have marketing. it just didn't market in ways that us, the people of the steam thread, would see. thq renovated an entire mansion to hold bespoke haunted house events for influencers so that they could produce videos to promote the game - but the way the modern internet works means those videos are just being seen only by that audience, it's not like producing a single tv ad that runs for months, it's like producing a single tv ad that runs on one specific episode of a tv show.
i literally only know about it because one of the people i follow for unhinged sims content got invited, and i didn't even bother finishing the video because while it seemed fun for the people doing it, i the viewer was just watching people walk about collecting clues instead of doing it myself in the hit video game alone in the dark out now.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Dragon's Dogma? More like Dragon's.... Smegma. The real hot, surprise (to me) release is the full version of that Bakery Girl Tactical RPG Xcom but anime kind of deal

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127700/Reverse_Collapse_Code_Name_Bakery/

I pray the god the translation doesn't suck.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ghostlight posted:

that's the thing - alone in the dark didn't not have marketing. it just didn't market in ways that us, the people of the steam thread, would see.

That's very fair but also like I didn't see a single Alone In The Dark review thread on reddit r/games or anywhere less obscure than SA that I'd look for gaming news. Did not have an inkling it came out yesterday

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

ZearothK posted:

I cant wait until 4 years when Warner Brothers fails with their games as service attempts (even harder) and has to blame something else other than their clear disconnect from reality.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Triarii posted:

I refuse to believe this; it must be money laundering. How is there a venn diagram intersection between "will spend 2 billion on monopoly" and "can use a smartphone to play games".

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Det_no posted:

Dragon's Dogma? More like Dragon's.... Smegma. The real hot, surprise (to me) release is the full version of that Bakery Girl Tactical RPG Xcom but anime kind of deal

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127700/Reverse_Collapse_Code_Name_Bakery/

I pray the god the translation doesn't suck.

How can they expect to make any money if they're not charging to access the character creator?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I refuse to believe this; it must be money laundering. How is there a venn diagram intersection between "will spend 2 billion on monopoly" and "can use a smartphone to play games".

Monopoly, sad as this is, is more of a game than many mobile titles. Sometimes you just gotta be on a bus or something and not go insane.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Det_no posted:

Dragon's Dogma? More like Dragon's.... Smegma.

Dragons Smegma Two

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

got a lol when steam finished the DD2 install, it refreshed the library page, and a billion microtransactions materialized in front of my eyes. capcom gonna capcom

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ghostlight posted:

that's the thing - alone in the dark didn't not have marketing. it just didn't market in ways that us, the people of the steam thread, would see. thq renovated an entire mansion to hold bespoke haunted house events for influencers so that they could produce videos to promote the game - but the way the modern internet works means those videos are just being seen only by that audience, it's not like producing a single tv ad that runs for months, it's like producing a single tv ad that runs on one specific episode of a tv show.
i literally only know about it because one of the people i follow for unhinged sims content got invited, and i didn't even bother finishing the video because while it seemed fun for the people doing it, i the viewer was just watching people walk about collecting clues instead of doing it myself in the hit video game alone in the dark out now.

I saw a couple Twitch streamers who received a big, physical puzzle box* as part of their Alone in the Dark #ad portion, but I just skipped to someone playing a video game :shrug:

The game has made more impact on me than Alone in the Dark: Illumination tho, so it won't end up being the most forgetable title of the franchise. Not a high bar to reach, mind you.

*so, not the Hellraiser kind

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 22, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Microsoft were all in on Redfall

Similar to how they decided Sea of Thieves would be their premier flagship game for the year of its release and marketed it as such. Like don't get me wrong, it's a fine game, but it absolutely did not have the scope or ambition to fill that spot especially at release.

Whoever is in charge of the MS game division is just dumb as poo poo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Serephina posted:

Has there been any talk about Terrafomers in here? I bought it on a whim (native linux client, yay!) and it's... weird. If it was a book, a critic would call it 'frictionless'; I just kinda clicked on various stuff until the victory screen popped up, a bunch of metaprogression unlocked occurred (ughhhh. oh btw it has card drawing mechanics to determine what you can play that turn, hurray), and then I went back in on a newly unlocked higher difficulty with a specific objective... and just did the same thing, clicked stuff until the victory screen showed up, zero real throught applied.

But of course, enough hours lost that you can't refund it. I know the game loudly states that it's meant to be played multiple times but like man, a solo game of Terraforming Mars (the board game, or its PC port) takes like 20 minutes and has a lot more snap to it, including a very real loss condition chasing you.

Anyone played it, want to sing its praises about how it gets deeper at some point? I'm willing to write off my ten bucks and six hours and just leave a negative review.

I've bought it recently, and can vouch you're in the tutorial, which will also last you next 2-3 games. This is both in terms of raw difficulty and a bunch of unlocks that expand your options, primarily in interacting with terraforming parameters. I'd say to get a better picture stick with it until you unlock naval buildings.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Data, because it's fun:
Ohr: אור (one of Rail Slave Games' weird projects that I know very little about)

wow that's a name I haven't thought of in a long time, I'd say maybe they were before their time with the success of Cruelty Squad and so on but I recall they were more bad and weird than just weird and playable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Owl Inspector posted:

got a lol when steam finished the DD2 install, it refreshed the library page, and a billion microtransactions materialized in front of my eyes. capcom gonna capcom

I'm looking at the review bombs on Steam. Does it really cost 2bux to edit your character's appearance? :lol:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I'm looking at the review bombs on Steam. Does it really cost 2bux to edit your character's appearance? :lol:

It costs $2 to get one item which you can acquire in-game which does that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The item that does the same thing costs minimal in-game currency.

Capcom's DLC are always just pointless traps for people with more money than sense.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

And at least on PC I'd expect that you can easily mod/cheatengine an arbitrary amount of these items in. I'm halfway thinking that some dumbass exec at Capcom demands microtransactions be put in, and the devs just do kind of quietly do damage control by limiting the microtransactions to stuff you can easily get anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Capcom's DLC/microtransaction policy can be really weird. A lot of the time they cram in incredibly pointless and unattractive microtransaction seemingly only to be able to tell the shareholders that there technically is a battle pass or whatnot and now please gently caress off let us just make games. Other times, they can drop some fun little skin and price it at an absurd level immediately sifting out anyone but the most brainbroke whales.

Street Fighter 6 is a great example of all:
- They made a battle pass that has absolutely nothing. I mean, clothes for your miiverse avatar to walk around (optional) lobbies and wallpapers for a phone menu you only ever use in singleplayer.
- They had a TMNT collab and sold ninja turtle skins - again, for the lobby avatars and not even the game itself - for $15 each. Each. 15 bucks per turtle only differentiated by the color of their headband.
- They had a grindable free currency that wasn't really usable on anything of note (I suppose they locked alt-colors of the base costumes behind those, but every other one, including costumes unlocked for free in singleplayer just come with the whole palette anyway), then after a year they dropped a new stage buyable for a pittance of these. An amount you literally get for free on login once Capcom decides a character in the roster has their birthday.
- Once they dropped real character skins (after a surprisingly long time, given cosmetics trade single-handedly keeping the previous game alive), it was generally industry standard with a little bullshit on top (conversion to made-up currency requiring you to essentially go for at least 2 costumes, lack of some nice bundle for completionists)

It kind of feels like there's three different people responsible for monetization at Capcom and each of them has a diametrically different agenda.