Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Some 4,000-odd people who were in the 3-year basic income pilot started by Ontario Liberals in 2019 and cancelled by the PCs halfway through are filing a $200M class action lawsuit. It's going to own when this ends up costing more than just finishing the study would have. Also the judge dismissed a claim by the government that it would have been better to process this as 4,000 separate small claims cases. Get hosed Dougie.

Meanwhile he's still pushing the dogshit Ontario Place plans and also the bullshit World Cup bid with Toronto council and mayor largely on board. The Star had to file FOI requests to learn poo poo like how FIFA wanted labour law exemptions.

quote:

There remains strong support at city hall for the World Cup, which Toronto expects to generate more than $392 million in local GDP, create more than 3,500 jobs, and deliver spinoff benefits in areas from recreational sports to volunteerism to Indigenous reconciliation.

"I just think it's going to bring an energy to this city we've never seen before," said Coun. Jaye Robinson, council's World Cup lead, who predicted the anticipated influx of more than 300,000 visitors will help Toronto finally recover from the pandemic.

The cost of this poo poo is supposed to be $300+M now! You know what else generates more than $1 of GDP per dollar spent? Basic income drat well would, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Before October he was an unassuming keebler elf looking weirdo I didn't think twice about and yet since then he's become one of the more detestable MP's I've had the displeasure of listening to. Amazing how quickly people show their whole rear end.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Allt hat poo poo about income and jobs is usually lies its just a giant payola for FIFA and other insiders

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Some 4,000-odd people who were in the 3-year basic income pilot started by Ontario Liberals in 2019 and cancelled by the PCs halfway through are filing a $200M class action lawsuit. It's going to own when this ends up costing more than just finishing the study would have. Also the judge dismissed a claim by the government that it would have been better to process this as 4,000 separate small claims cases. Get hosed Dougie.

Meanwhile he's still pushing the dogshit Ontario Place plans and also the bullshit World Cup bid with Toronto council and mayor largely on board. The Star had to file FOI requests to learn poo poo like how FIFA wanted labour law exemptions.

The cost of this poo poo is supposed to be $300+M now! You know what else generates more than $1 of GDP per dollar spent? Basic income drat well would, for one.

i'm not normally one for schadenfreude but the interviews CBC did with the UBI pilot recipients who voted PCPO will stick with me for a long time.

re: ontario place, they are apparently just now discovering that the plans involve a shitload of infill and at least a second stage of undisclosed development (it's condos). also, thanks to mayor chow's faustian bargain, we can no longer fight it in any way.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DaysBefore posted:

I did notice a fun fact in the injunction article where CBC quoted a John Efford Jr., who I'm pretty sure is the same John Efford Jr., son of a former Newfie Fishery minister, who was fined for illegally harvesting squid in 1999. Not relevant but lol

reminds me of an old family anecdote; while my supposed great-grandfather was in jail for fencing fishing nets, my great-grandmother took in a norwegian boarder to help make ends meet, this being the depression

and that's the story of how i'm one eighth norwegian

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

neongrey posted:

great-grandmother took in a norwegian boarder

I'll say

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Karach posted:

I'll say

boarder? drat near killed her :classiclol:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

mediaphage posted:

22 minutes is fine. also please keep filming it because it probably subsidizes a nontrivial number of people in nova scotia

Arivia posted:

Nathan Fielder got his start there, for example

PP is just big mad at the unfettered CBC largesse that sent special correspondents to such exotic locales as Naples.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Mar 21, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

mayor chow's faustian bargain

president’s choice memories of

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

drat horror queefs posted:

boarder? drat near killed her :classiclol:

I was workshopping "renter? hell no, I boarded 'er" but I've been in welding lab for weeks inhaling weird fumes and have no idea if that even makes sense

tuyop posted:

president’s choice memories of mayor chow's faustian bargain

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
It's collective action season in NL, b'ys:

Gov NL Obtains Injunction vs Fish Harvester Protest at Confederation Bldg

Not gonna make you click a link posted:

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Andrew Furey hopes the provincial budget will be unveiled Thursday "if it is safe to do so," after a rowdy fisheries protest shut down Confederation Building on Wednesday morning.

At a news conference around 1:30 p.m. NT, Furey and members of his cabinet addressed questions on the government's decision to seek an injunction against the protesters in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador.

The injunction was granted by Justice Robert Stack around noon, ordering protesters to provide safe access to the building.

Despite the court order, fish harvesters seem poised to protest at the doorsteps of the provincial government again Thursday. ....

Fish harvesters and supporters have been protesting since early March, pushing the provincial government to allow them to sell their catch to buyers outside the province.

As it stands, they can sell their catches only to buyers in Newfoundland and Labrador at a price agreed upon by the FFAW and the Association of Seafood Producers. The long-standing agreement aims to ensure processing jobs inside the province but has become a sticking point over the past year due to lower prices for species such as crab. ....

One protester and one cop are injured. The protest all but shut-down Newfoundland's legislature on budget day lol.

I've got mixed feelings about selling fish outside NL in this hellscape of an economic system, but fishtory doesn't help me make up my mind.

See, back in the day when NL was an European live-on fish colony, fishers would "sell" their salted or brined fish to merchants, who would then sell that fish wholesale in Europe, Americas, and elsewhere, often in exchange for wine, textiles, etc. A system of indentured servitude developed around debt. Fishers needed the necessities of life and the merchants monopolised those necessities. Merchants provided credit to fishers at their merchant stores for whatever fishers needed in exchange for re-payment in the fishers' catches. And so it came to pass there emerged a small 1% comprised of extremely rich merchants and a 99% comprised of fishers living in squalor—the kind of squalor in which an early 20th C, small-town fisher family's life looked much the same as that of a family from the 18th C, and probably earlier— for most of NL's history.

Things changed a bit when NL joined Canada, but the merchants that Fishers *have* to sell to these days are basically just a few huge processors who have the exclusive right to that fish and the shocking profits it generates. These processors are generally similar to their mercantile ancestors. They still finance fishers in exchange for catch.

NL fishers produced astronomical amounts of fish for all of NL's history to feed to people all over the world. But it's rare for a local to walk down to the dock to buy fish from the fishing boat that just pulled-up to the dock. That's never sat well with me. Not saying what CBC says the protesters are asking for will change that, but this is the forum that likes seeing protests, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unless they're by people claiming to be truckers

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, I have some concerns about that classroom too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1770806099106468065?t=5vEP2fKcz5qHdAOi5c3M_w&s=19

Nimbys strike again and Doug is more than ready to tongue their asses.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Dreylad posted:

someone at the RCMP read The Great Leveler I guess.
From a few days ago but I briefly thought you meant that the RCMP read The Great Leveller, which is a collection of excellent but extremely bloody fantasy novels. Pretty much everyone in the novels that serves as a cop dies, so that's something.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Well, I have some concerns about that classroom too.

yeah, like why are the other 43 kids out-of-frame squashed so close together

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1770806099106468065?t=5vEP2fKcz5qHdAOi5c3M_w&s=19

Nimbys strike again and Doug is more than ready to tongue their asses.

Now this is the strong Canadian leadership I'm looking for!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

“I can assure you 1,000 per cent, you go into communities and start putting up four-storey, six-storey, eight-storey buildings right deep into communities, there’s going to be a lot of shouting and screaming,” Ford said.

“We are not going to go into communities and build four-storey or six-storey buildings beside residents.”

The peasants clamor for affordable insulae, but wealthy manor lords object.

[     ] build them anyway (-50 gold)
[ x ] refuse (gain the craven trait)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

today in our ongoing series on just how wet is water anyway?: younger canadians less happy than older canadians, for some reason.

in fairness, the author of the article knows why and they explain as much in the final paragraph.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/SamHersh01/status/1770841736060805294?t=zxsyIo73V6yAFWF4lK-JLg&s=19

Screw the USA comparisons for a second but Housefather is still a disingenuous gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there are actual factual honest to goodness neo-nazis and there are people saying "please stop killing palestinians" and these two groups are not even remotely comparable

even attempting to draw a line between them is itself antisemitic because it's making a direct connection between hatred of jews as an ethnic group, and the actions of the state of isreal

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

infernal machines posted:

there are actual factual honest to goodness neo-nazis and there are people saying "please stop killing palestinians" and these two groups are not even remotely comparable

even attempting to draw a line between them is itself antisemitic because it's making a direct connection between hatred of jews as an ethnic group, and the actions of the state of isreal

Actually it's antisemitic to think Jews are citizens and not want to deport them all...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't get over his consideration to cross the isle. Oh you're so deeply concerned about anti-semitsm that you're willing to cross over the party that is making a big show of borrowing america's far right strategy of fearmongering Trans and Queer people. Cool, just throw every other minority under the bus because a few zionists felt bad for a moment.

Nevermind the part where the cons are also usually more then happy to quietly appeal to anti-semites.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and yet whenever someone criticizes literally anything having to do with anything israel has done, one group seems more than happy to climb aboard

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Oxyclean posted:

I can't get over his consideration to cross the isle. Oh you're so deeply concerned about anti-semitsm that you're willing to cross over the party that is making a big show of borrowing america's far right strategy of fearmongering Trans and Queer people. Cool, just throw every other minority under the bus because a few zionists felt bad for a moment.

Nevermind the part where the cons are also usually more then happy to quietly appeal to anti-semites.

I'm mostly amazed that any mp can voice anything resembling a principle. it might be a narrow principle that I disagree with, and they haven't actually acted on it yet, but it's already more than I expected

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Poilievre adviser’s staff established second lobbying firm working from the same office

On the first business day after Pierre Poilievre’s election as Conservative Leader, the senior staff of a lobbying firm run by his top adviser established a second company housed out of the same office, with many of the same staff – but dropping the name Jenni Byrne.

Ms. Byrne is one of the most powerful Conservative operatives in the country. She attends Conservative caucus meetings and is directly involved in the party’s strategy and election planning. She is also CEO and minority shareholder of Jenni Byrne + Associates, a government and public relations firm.

But on the Monday after Mr. Poilievre’s Sept. 10, 2022, leadership win, the president and senior vice-president of Jenni Byrne + Associates incorporated Forecheck Strategies. Many of the staff who work at Ms. Byrne’s firm also lobby federally for Forecheck.

Piggies got caught with their hands in the till

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

backed by a toronto lobbyist, huh? not a good look pierre

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

oh no conservative votes are in shambles and absolutely won't vote this guy in regardless of what he actually does says or think!!!

wait what?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it doesn't matter, in the sense that nothing he says or does as long as he's the party mascot matters, but it's very funny.

the mad rebel himself is a career politician who has literally never held another job in his life, and is backed entirely by toronto elites. he's the thing capital C conservative voters have convinced themselves they hate the most, through and through, but they don't for a second care or even believe it, at least until he falls out of favour with the party.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Mar 21, 2024

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I'm gonna take the Canadian flag back.

You see some guy with 2 Canadian flags on the back of his F-150 speeding through a red light? Guess what, that guy is woke now. He wants to protect trans kids and even though he hasn't met a black person he is very supportive of BLM. His "gently caress trudeau" sticker is because Trudeau is a pro-business centre-right ghoul. That's what the Canadian flag means now.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hell yeah :canada:

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm gonna take the Canadian flag back.

You see some guy with 2 Canadian flags on the back of his F-150 speeding through a red light? Guess what, that guy is woke now. He wants to protect trans kids and even though he hasn't met a black person he is very supportive of BLM. His "gently caress trudeau" sticker is because Trudeau is a pro-business centre-right ghoul. That's what the Canadian flag means now.

It actually means love of genocide and has since its inception. It will never mean anything else.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Puppy Burner posted:

It actually means love of genocide and has since its inception. It will never mean anything else.

Looks like we've got a conservative concerned with white birth rates here, and we don't stand for that kind of thing in Canada

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/leif-dahl-cfb-trenton-guilty-plea-1.7150646

Frosted Flake, what is up with senior officers? Especially those in command of a base. I feel like every news story I hear is always about them being criminally abusive, murdering people, and just generally behaving as though they are above the law. Which I guess they are, because this guy won't even have a criminal record. If I did this poo poo I'd have spent years in prison.

This story is too funny as it features a loving Colonel pulling a corporal for life stunt. Illegally shooting at protected wildlife, telling someone to gently caress off, and then getting their teenage son to dump all his illegal guns in the water when police show up is just a step above wrapping a lifted F-350 around a telephone poll and then fleeing the MPs on foot.

How do these people keep getting commands?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they actually are our armed forces' best and brightest

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Juul-Whip posted:

they actually are our armed forces' best and brightest

posiwid

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/SamHersh01/status/1770841736060805294?t=zxsyIo73V6yAFWF4lK-JLg&s=19

Screw the USA comparisons for a second but Housefather is still a disingenuous gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/jojammss/status/1770970128827715843?t=5TYXx7HaywUQZfzVgeJNiA&s=19

What the gently caress drives people to make this

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao. Congratulations to Doug Ford on the next crushing majority government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Lmfao. Congratulations to Doug Ford on the next crushing majority government

this implies the people in ontario pay attention to politics in any way and vote accordingly.