Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sally posted:

agreed. and frankly subsequent Resistance games never captured that same balance. Fall of Man was a brilliant shooter, if admittedly slow to kick off

I loved how it was playing through War of the Worlds in all but name. London and England, the right time period, it was surprisingly well-crafted for a PS3 exclusive shooter when being a PS3 exclusive shooter was a synonym for "garbage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it was a launch title too. it set a solid standard and it took ages for other shooters to catch. the dearth of ps3 fpses was too real as someone who has a Ps3 and loved fpses... :negative:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rockman Reserve posted:

and the entire area is filled with walls and detritus, making it the most maze-like area of the game so far

Hey man I hate the Pit as much as the next guy but it's got nothing, in my opinion, on that bone-white Cathedral that has thin paths overlapping each other and even with a map is a pain to navigate. You can see the entire area from various vantage points but it's impossible to parse what's what.

Also it's unsettling as hell to me for some reason and I hated being there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As someone who did a 100% LP of Code Vein I can say with complete sincerity that the cathedral was awful

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

that's anime dark souls right

Or am I thinking of scarlet nexis

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

gah i remembered there was a bunch of people complaining about the cathedral a while back and the thought of a worse area simultaneously worries me and makes me extremely curious to see

e: and yeah it’s sort of like anime dark souls but more like they had an anime character action vampire game 3/4 of the way through development and then slapped some stats and levels on it at the last minute

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

that's anime dark souls right

Or am I thinking of scarlet nexis

It styles itself as anime bloodborne except it's more like the chalice dungeons.

Currently playing through Code Vein, it's the second half of the cathedral that's the worst. If I had the option to move the map then maybe it would be better but as it is its just layers on layers of overlapping footprints.

Rockman Reserve posted:

and your companion constantly barks “I hope we get out of here soon” and “the terrain doesn’t favor us”, incessantly, as if you are not already keenly aware that this is the video game equivalent of Hell

You can turn off character barks in the options, I would recommend it. They might occasionally point out something useful but it's not frequent enough to be worth it.

I find the damage indication (?) a problem. Like if my character is hit by something big or heavy, they yell/stagger and there's vibration on the controller but enemy light attacks don't have a reaction or vibration (as far as I've noticed). Considering how quickly attacks eat through your health I can be taking chip damage from a weapon backswing and not notice until the pulsing red screen edges.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

oh god the pulsing screen edges reminds me of another thing, you build up your max ichor (MP essentially) by doing big windup charge attacks on energy

except the charge attacks don’t seem to have reliable i-frames, and they make the controller shake and screen flash red like your health is critical, so basically any time i fire one off i’m staring at the bottom of the screen to see if i got hit during an attack during the animation and if i connected and got the ichor at all because the effect for both is so similar

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
WWE2k24

It has a lot going for it, and while it has corrected a lot of jank from previous versions, there are a few things that annoy me.

Character Creation - It's big, there are layers and most of the navigation makes sense, but there are two big annoying things. First, there are some CAC items that are not available from the get go. They have to be unlocked by playing in other modes, or buying from the in-game store, which is fine. What I don't care for is that these items are strewn about the grid system, seemingly at random. There's no 'sort' option I've found to exclude items that I haven't unlocked yet. In fact, point 2 is that there's almost no sort system to speak of at all. If I want to pick out a hairstyle, I can categorize from All, Generic(?), Short or Long. OK, I guess. And technically, items appear in the same order across all 4 of those options. Hairstyle 26 will come after Hairstyle 23 in every list. But there's no label on anything and the preview is not very clear. Is the hairstlye in grid 7A a better look than the one in 8C? Who knows? If they were broken down into generic names like crewcut 1-14 at least I'd know what I was looking at, but when you have dreadlocks next to a mohawk, but separate from other dreadlocks it's a lot to figure out. And the clothes are just as bad. The difference between shirt A, B and C is that one is tucked in, one is not, and the third has an ugly little logo on it, but you can't see that from the preview window.

Maybe I'm missing something there, and there's a sort that I just didn't find yet.

EDIT: I remembered the other thing that kind of bugs me. There is a story mode for your created character to go through, and I think it's the same basic storyline from one of these games 20 years ago. You're an established, but low level, relative unknown wrassler, and almost immediately, you are thrown into a title match. You play through a certain part of that match when typical WWE scripted drama happens, and due to outside interference, you win the belt. Now everyone is looking to take it from you, and/or calling you out for cheating to win. Also, the guy who handed you the win is a piece of poo poo who insists on his superiority, but as of yet, I have no opportunity to make him eat his words. And that's more or less OK. I know there will be some big showdown or another to finish the story. But every match, minus 1 so far, has been a title match and a story failure if I lose. It would be boring as a viewer if this nobody came up at summer slam, won the title, and then every match after was for the title, and the holder won time after time. The game advertises branching paths in the story, how about an option where my OC loses and has to deal with that fallout? I screwed up, I need to fight my way back to get another shot at the title.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Mar 20, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

It's very bizarre to me that people don't explore UIs. Like, this what my thought process when I first played: there's a big flashing thing at the top that says something, so I press the button. Now there's a menu with a couple things I can enter, one costs some sort of currency so that's out, the other doesn't, so what's inside? A bunch of stuff, including guns. The guns seem to have stats when I press a button, so they probably aren't cosmetics like the cape and the helmet, which seem like they're just fashionable things. So I get the gun. Or I don't, since I don't remember if you start with medals.

Like it's one thing to not learn that if you hold the reload button in the mission it brings up a menu that lets you change your firing rate and such (seriously why is that buried in a random tip when you're loading in) but I thought this was pretty clear. Though I suppose a quick screenshot tutorial wouldn't have hurt.

People automatically filter out and ignore things that look like ads

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~lane/papers/banner_blindness.pdf

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Anyone who grew up trying to download warez from a geocities page on a 56k modem knows the actual link is the tiny almost hidden text in between giant flashing dick-enlargement banners.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tunicate posted:

I'm convinced that the people who don't see the issue here actually haven't played any modern live service games, at all. Because if you have, you would immediately look at the way the Acquisitions/Warbond menu is framed and go 'oh yeah, this is the battle pass, it's gonna be full of FOMO cosmetics'. It's separate and blinking because it's the live service game equivalent of a banner ad. And then you look in one of them and you see, sure enough, that it's mostly cosmetics. It's designed exactly like Fortnite's battle passes, and Fortnite has weapon skins in there, so it's a natural assumption that you're looking at weapon skins.

Genuinely, the only way I can see that someone completely takes in that menu is if they've never played any game that's done this before.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Or has eyes and the ability to perceive differences between things.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

Hey man I hate the Pit as much as the next guy but it's got nothing, in my opinion, on that bone-white Cathedral that has thin paths overlapping each other and even with a map is a pain to navigate. You can see the entire area from various vantage points but it's impossible to parse what's what.

Isn't it after the pit? It's been a while since I've played Code Vein so I could be wrong.

Code Vein has a lot of levels that suck.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Or has eyes and the ability to perceive differences between things.

Take thirty seconds to actually look at something? Preposterous. Next thing you know you’ll want me to hit Tab to see a weapons stats!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JackSplater posted:

But then the game gets balanced around them, because if you have a preset middle-ground weapon why not use it for balance, and it makes the other guns feel situational. Which would be fine in a game where you can carry more than 2 weapons at a time. Bring back weapon wheels, damnit.

All games should have exactly 10 firearms in them, mapping to the number keys. You carry all of them at once.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Lone Badger posted:

All games should have exactly 10 weapon categories in them, mapping to the number keys. You carry all of them at once.

Fixed that for you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

All games should have exactly 10 firearms in them, mapping to the number keys. You carry all of them at once.

Huh, Serious Sam or Doomguy would probably break Helldivers 2's balance.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Huh, Serious Sam or Doomguy would probably break Helldivers 2's balance.

Of course, they're a completely different brand of shooterman, the opposite of an expendable grunt doomed to die.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

:wrong:

As many weapons as possible as long as they're creative, but each category shares the same ammo pool amongst its weapons, so I can carry the pistol *I* want, the machine gun *I* want, the gimmicky weapon *I* want... none of this "Oh, you like the Drunk Missles? Well gently caress you the level designers forgot it existed, here's 2000 rounds for the missile launcher you like the least. Better stop holding on to your favorite guns, you'll never see ammo for them."

Say what you will about the Far Cry games, but at least they let me use the guns I want.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Randalor posted:

Say what you will about the Far Cry games, but at least they let me use the guns I want.

Did they finally stop trying to force you to use the lovely bow? They even made an entire game about it and it was still the worst weapon in it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... but I actually like the bow :smith:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Randalor posted:

Then you probably didn't notice the issue, TBF the bow isn't actually bad, it's just that for each game they seemed to want the player to use it more. But rather than adding things to it to make it more attractive, they kept removing options from other weapons, like in 4, where there is pretty much no other silent weapon for a long time, or Primal where they removed all firearms, but still left in the spear which was just better and more interesting.

The Modern Tomb Raider reboots did much the same thing, with Shadow even forcing you to use it for certain stretches of the game by Lara just straight up refusing to use the guns she's carrying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I almost never use any other weapons in the Tomb Raider games besides the bow, it's just too good. Weirdly enough though, the reboots also had some really satisfying shotguns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Randalor posted:

If any shooter gives you a bow, it will be the best weapon in the game. I'm not sure exactly why, but this happens really consistently.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hel posted:

Did they finally stop trying to force you to use the lovely bow? They even made an entire game about it and it was still the worst weapon in it.

No

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Morpheus posted:

I liked the game had a map with a history of where the character has been (I wish all soulslikes had that), but that was not enough to overcome that 3D maze of a level.

Tunicate posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been replaying Mario Odyssey this week, and finally got around to collecting the 250 power moons you need to get to the first postgame area, and what shows up there? A checkpointless gauntlet of all the rabbit bosses and their mech. Fuuuck that, I didn't like any of those the first time around.

And on top of that, you have to find another 250 moons to get to whatever the next new thing is? No thanks, this is one of those times where you hit that exact moment where a game asks you to do something and you know your playthrough has ended right there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure if this is something for this thread or the "PYF little things" thread, but here goes:

I started playing Yakuza Kiwami finally. Majima was introduced. That's it.

I think that cutscene gave me actual whiplash...

Do I get to hurt him? Please say yes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol "will I get to fight Majima in Yakuza Kiwami?" buddy you don't even know

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kazil posted:

lol "will I get to fight Majima in Yakuza Kiwami?" buddy you don't even know

:neckbeard:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Since it was brought up, Majima Everywhere is a phenomenal idea dragged down by shoddy implementation on multiple levels:
- too much HP for how much you’ll fight him
- too much grinding since theres variants of the different Majima’s that count separately, but the game doesn’t just replace Brawler Majima with Zombie Majima and just make the latter harder, you have to hope you find that specific guy and the other three enough times for their skill modes
- if you reach the chapter based Majima Everywhere level cap then he just chills out in the park thinking of new ways to gently caress with Kiryu, which sounds good…until you find out that you’re not allowed to do the Komaki training and grab Tiger Drop either
- too much experience, it’s pretty baffling since the last two Yakuza games made before Kiwami (Ishin and Zero) have ways to level up forever so there’s no “wasted” experience but you’ll probably ram the 9999 level cap with his stuff so the battles feel truly pointless.

To be fair though, Majima accosts Kiryu when he tries to do the most mundane poo poo possible is peak Yakuza comedy so it’s not all bad, just frustrating since you’d really only have to tweak a lot of that other stuff with a patch.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been replaying Mario Odyssey this week, and finally got around to collecting the 250 power moons you need to get to the first postgame area, and what shows up there? A checkpointless gauntlet of all the rabbit bosses and their mech. Fuuuck that, I didn't like any of those the first time around.

And on top of that, you have to find another 250 moons to get to whatever the next new thing is? No thanks, this is one of those times where you hit that exact moment where a game asks you to do something and you know your playthrough has ended right there.

i've been playing Odyssey for the first time the past few weeks...just got to this part myself.

if you havent already, turn on Assist Mode. makes it way more forgiving. now that i'm done the game i just wanna cruise around and collect moons. there's no need to worry about health between fights. once you beat the gauntlet, the reward is kind of... eh... some obstacle course rooms and a bunch of riddles for power moons in other kingdoms.

this wont be a game i am 100%ing ha

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I've said this before and probably in this very thread but even though Nintendo generally makes some good games their post-game challenges generally suck dick. Give me some midpoints motherfuckers.

Actually saying that Wonder did have some checkpoints in its marathon level so I guess they're getting better.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

They should combine Majima Everywhere with Shadow of War's nemesis system. He keeps coming back with new gimmicks, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Final boss - Majima with Therapy.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I've said this before and probably in this very thread but even though Nintendo generally makes some good games their post-game challenges generally suck dick. Give me some midpoints motherfuckers.

Actually saying that Wonder did have some checkpoints in its marathon level so I guess they're getting better.

It's not technically Nintendo, Rare I believe, but Donkey Kong 64 has you beating the original Donkey Kong arcade to 100% the game and that's just loving insane.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BioEnchanted posted:

Final boss - Majima with Therapy.

:hmmyes: Majima attacks Kiryu at the therapy office

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The Wonder one sucked in a different way, because I only ever used like 3 of the powers in the main game, so having to learn all of them from scratch was way way harder than it needed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CzarChasm posted:

WWE2k24

It has a lot going for it, and while it has corrected a lot of jank from previous versions, there are a few things that annoy me.

Character Creation - It's big, there are layers and most of the navigation makes sense, but there are two big annoying things. First, there are some CAC items that are not available from the get go. They have to be unlocked by playing in other modes, or buying from the in-game store, which is fine. What I don't care for is that these items are strewn about the grid system, seemingly at random. There's no 'sort' option I've found to exclude items that I haven't unlocked yet. In fact, point 2 is that there's almost no sort system to speak of at all. If I want to pick out a hairstyle, I can categorize from All, Generic(?), Short or Long. OK, I guess. And technically, items appear in the same order across all 4 of those options. Hairstyle 26 will come after Hairstyle 23 in every list. But there's no label on anything and the preview is not very clear. Is the hairstlye in grid 7A a better look than the one in 8C? Who knows? If they were broken down into generic names like crewcut 1-14 at least I'd know what I was looking at, but when you have dreadlocks next to a mohawk, but separate from other dreadlocks it's a lot to figure out. And the clothes are just as bad. The difference between shirt A, B and C is that one is tucked in, one is not, and the third has an ugly little logo on it, but you can't see that from the preview window.

Maybe I'm missing something there, and there's a sort that I just didn't find yet.

EDIT: I remembered the other thing that kind of bugs me. There is a story mode for your created character to go through, and I think it's the same basic storyline from one of these games 20 years ago. You're an established, but low level, relative unknown wrassler, and almost immediately, you are thrown into a title match. You play through a certain part of that match when typical WWE scripted drama happens, and due to outside interference, you win the belt. Now everyone is looking to take it from you, and/or calling you out for cheating to win. Also, the guy who handed you the win is a piece of poo poo who insists on his superiority, but as of yet, I have no opportunity to make him eat his words. And that's more or less OK. I know there will be some big showdown or another to finish the story. But every match, minus 1 so far, has been a title match and a story failure if I lose. It would be boring as a viewer if this nobody came up at summer slam, won the title, and then every match after was for the title, and the holder won time after time. The game advertises branching paths in the story, how about an option where my OC loses and has to deal with that fallout? I screwed up, I need to fight my way back to get another shot at the title.

For some reason, this made me remember one of the earliest Smackdown games where you walked around backstage to choose your story path/title hunt by talking to the different wrestlers. One option was you could immediately team up with someone for the tag titles, and if you won, credits rolled. Winning the tag team titles in one match was the entire storyline for that particular belt.