Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tadashi posted:

I love it when people run monitoring scripts manually that are setup to run automically on a scehdueld basis thus increasing teh work our department is doing and eliminating the reason why we automated the loving thing in the first pla;se;lsdflk;jkjsdafdfdfscc v rthhghhdfsavf godmanrt it

gently caress IT

You’ve described the auditing department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
we have a domain script that removes previous network drives, then re-adds them

boss sent an email today with "found a stuck command prompt today, it didn't close and I had to exit out of it after an hour, hmmmmmmmm"

it was waiting for a response because she had an open file on one of the drives, and said "Is it OK to continue disconnecting and force them closed (Y/N)"

the command prompt is doing exactly what it's meant to do, my boss just doesn't understand the concept of "waiting for input" apparently

our contractor had to tell her what it was, and charges for responding to email. She cost us some amount of money because she doesn't know how to read

this is the same woman who said "we hired you even though you had no experience and it's been mostly working out so far" to me

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My org has had several processes break between SSO, Teleport, Kubernetes, apparently due to the latest version of Chrome -- changing default browser to Safari or Firefox fixes it -- but christ can't find anyone else with similar issues online. Possibly related to how Chrome handles (internal) redirects, but I think that might be a false lead.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

LochNessMonster posted:

You’ve described the auditing department.

Oh, the group that makes a bunch of unrealistic requests, never checks up on them afterwords except once a year and goes to highest management if we push back on their stupidity? That auditing group?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

My org has had several processes break between SSO, Teleport, Kubernetes, apparently due to the latest version of Chrome -- changing default browser to Safari or Firefox fixes it -- but christ can't find anyone else with similar issues online. Possibly related to how Chrome handles (internal) redirects, but I think that might be a false lead.
So the solution was ... clear cookies.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cimber posted:

Oh, the group that makes a bunch of unrealistic requests, never checks up on them afterwords except once a year and goes to highest management if we push back on their stupidity? That auditing group?

They are really good at making screenshots though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

So the solution was ... clear cookies.

if I'm ever having a browser problem my next step is to try Incognito / In-Private / whatever

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

and yes, ha ha ha, Internet Explorer has browser problems

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some incognito modes seem more incognito than others though, I've definitely seen Chrome incognito mode cause SAML problems that weren't there if you just made a new profile for it to use temporarily

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

if I'm ever having a browser problem my next step is to try Incognito / In-Private / whatever
That's 100% first step, but it doesn't work here because CLI stuff isn't going to touch the private session.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Also to be clear, basic troubleshooting, we'd have immediately tried those steps. But it suddenly came to IT as EMERGENCY BLOCK ALL CHROME UPDATES AND RESTRICT TO VERSION X. Yeah we should have taken several steps back. But christ engineering/devops assured us they'd TRIED EVERYTHING and only rolling back a version fixed it, and generally they're not dumb users.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

all good and fair points

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

teethgrinder posted:

not dumb users.

??????

???????????????????????????????????????????

have you met a software engineer

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Honestly the fact that we even call them "engineers" is annoying. Speaking as someone with a BA. But lol are overinflated tech titles ever a thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My last job had "Human Resource Engineers" for rando HR folks which pissed everyone off.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Honestly the fact that we even call them "engineers" is annoying. Speaking as someone with a BA. But lol are overinflated tech titles ever a thing.

When they were doing some promotions here some years ago, they didn't know what to do, so they just replaced admin with engineer.

I think its fun that our team of 5 network people, all of us are engineers, but we have a Network Engineer 1, 2, and two 3s and mine just says Comms.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

changing my job title to " senior engineer of engineers engineering engines"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Team manager, who has been promoted from within from the offshore group two months ago has just dictated that no ticket in our queue can be older than 48 hours. If a ticket is going to be older than 48 hours we are to close it and open a new one with the same information.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Cimber posted:

Team manager, who has been promoted from within from the offshore group two months ago has just dictated that no ticket in our queue can be older than 48 hours. If a ticket is going to be older than 48 hours we are to close it and open a new one with the same information.

Team manager is a loving moron trying to make numbers look good.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cimber posted:

So if you're touching it at 4:59 and the ticket is 32 hours old you have to make a new one since you won't be back for ~16 hours? Lol wut

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

So if you're touching it at 4:59 and the ticket is 32 hours old you have to make a new one since you won't be back for ~16 hours? Lol wut

If when we review the queue we see that a ticket is about to 'go amber' we are to immediately copy the details out, close it and then open a new one that is 'green'.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cimber posted:

If when we review the queue we see that a ticket is about to 'go amber' we are to immediately copy the details out, close it and then open a new one that is 'green'.

Yeah, I'd be throwing them under the bus if possible to do without jeopardizing yourself. That is something the boss's boss may want to know.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cimber posted:

If I were senior management and I saw that I would discipline that middle manager for gaming metrics.

Of course, if I were senior management, I would like to think I would not implement stupid metrics.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sr managers don't look at tickets

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sr managers don't look at tickets

But they do look at metrics, and presumably want them to look something like the reality.

…oh, who am I kidding?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Cimber posted:

The lengths people will go to avoid having to learn to manage.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
He's....very much the type of guy who would stab you in the back at the same time he's telling you how much of a good team member you are.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Darchangel posted:

But they do look at metrics, and presumably want them to look something like the reality.

…oh, who am I kidding?

Please

They see a dramatic increase in the amount of tickets being submitted and resolved in SLA. Why would they want to poke any further?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

RFC2324 posted:

Goons are so hilariously misanthropic

When dealing with folks like you, we definitely are

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

rude

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I like the difference between Administrator and Engineer when it's applied properly.
To me, engineers are people who take established concepts and put them together to make something new. A structural engineer takes physics and makes sure your building falls down, a network engineer takes network components and makes sure your network doesn't fall down.
An administrator is someone who just maintains an existing system. A network administrator makes sure that the stuff made by a network architect and engineer gets updates and doesn't die, a systems administrator makes sure the servers an engineer set up get patched and function as they should, etc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
engineers have a code of ethics

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Engineering requires seeing the big picture which means deflecting from doing any work, citing the business process.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Engineering requires seeing the big picture which means deflecting from doing any work, citing the business process.

Namaste

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo:

As I become more involved in "big picture stuff"... I do less actual work. Sigh.

I need a new job title and a (solid) raise.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Doing work is for suckers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

everyone is rude to the sr sysadmins. its ok, we are rude back

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Don't be rude to the hand that can set resource limits.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wibla posted:

:laffo:

As I become more involved in "big picture stuff"... I do less actual work. Sigh.

I need a new job title and a (solid) raise.
I felt really bad about this aspect for a few months when I started my current role, but you actually shouldn't feel bad about being blocked by other people 80% of the time. It's someone else's problem to fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Been blocked since Tuesday morning by another department within a client's organisation who seem to not be able to meet the schedule they agreed on. Four days billing for doing nothing.